Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » We may know a lot of Bible stuff, but it MUST be mixed with love

Author Topic: We may know a lot of Bible stuff, but it MUST be mixed with love
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll join in that prayer!

Jesus we need you!

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to asking the LORD to love His love in me and through me, AMN. Be blessed.

1 John 3:23
And this is His commandment, That we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANM
Advanced Member
Member # 7184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im on board with 1cor 13 post, i ASK THE Lord to cleanse me of my own effort to love and produce his fruit through me.

--------------------
whats up?

Posts: 85 | From: pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a statement on the gift of "Encouragement" from Bob

Encouragement
Definition
Encouragement is a word, statement, or gesture that conveys an attitude of approval of, appreciation for, and a desire to see another person continue with what he/she is doing, seeking to do, expressing, or feeling. It may be as simple as a word of “thanks” or a pat on one’s back. It may be a personally written note of thanks and appreciation, or it may be a purchased card. It may be delivered in person, through the mail, over the phone or a loudspeaker, or by email, but in any case it is a sincere gift.

Encouragement can be singular or collective
I think that such a message or gesture is best when it is expressed to an individual, but a collected group of individuals may also be encouraged by a sincere message of approval and appreciation and continued best wishes for what they are doing. Where there is a strong spirit of teamwork and cooperation within a group, any sincere expression of encouragement to the group can be received and experienced by every individual within the group. But if there is any impaired sense of teamwork or cooperation within a group, not everyone in the group may feel the same degree of encouragement. Some individuals in some groups may need a very personal word of encouragement in such cases.

The need for encouragement
Everyone needs to be encouraged from time to time. Everyone at some time or another is engaged in something that is good but it is challenging. It may just be a matter of growing up, or it may be a difficult project at work or home, or it may be learning something new (like operating a computer), or it may involve breaking a bad habit or getting free from an addiction or resisting a “sinful” temptation, or loosing some weight and getting in shape, or dealing with an “enemy” or someone with whom you differ, or fighting in a war, or recovering from a severe loss or injury or sickness, or being a faithful servant of God.

In any case the individual may feel overwhelmed by the challenge or discouraged by his/her inability to meet it. He/she may get tired of the struggle, perhaps of trying to raise two or three young children by one’s self or finding a new job when one is past fifty years of age. Individuals in “broken” families probably need a lot of encouragement on a regular basis. Some of the normal channels for encouragement may not be present in such situations.

Individuals who are going through grief over the death of a spouse or another relative or close friend can be easily seen to be in the need of encouragement, but in some of these cases the message of encouragement may need to be repeated frequently. A quick word or gesture may not be enough. Most men who loose their jobs will need some encouragement in their efforts to find another. A few men may have other nice opportunities for comfortable employment waiting for them. Housewives who find themselves divorced will need a lot of encouragement as they seek to deal with the challenges of their new situations. Children who are trying to take care of their elderly parents (or parent) who may have been stricken with some infirmity of “old age” will need encouragement from time to time. Individuals in families where someone is away on active duty in military service will need a lot of frequent encouragement.

Life is not fair. Not all individuals are equal. The resources of the government can’t meet every need. No doctor or treatment or medicine may be immediately or completely effective. A large bank account may not be an adequate sanctuary against many fears, dangers, or moments of depression. There are dangers and risks around many corners. The Devil never takes a holiday. Current beneficial resources may become depleted or they may be overwhelmed, as in the case of some natural disasters.

Even one’s relationship with God, one’s spiritual resources of religion and faith in any god, may be tested and tried by the challenges of living. Trying to serve God on the “battlefield” of this world is a challenging struggle for anyone. Many prophets of God’s word in the Bible expressed their feelings of discouragement and frustration in the midst of their challenging ministries. Priests, preachers, rabbis, teachers of what is good and true and of ultimate personal benefit to others do not have an easy responsibility. The book of Job in the Old Testament of the Bible is an extensive account of the suffering of one man who lost almost everything of value in his life.

The gift of encouragement
A message or a gesture of encouragement to someone who is struggling with a personal challenge or who is discouraged and otherwise overwhelmed by his/her present situation is a gift. It is not a reward. It is not a payment that is earned. It is a very special blessing when it is given at just the time it is needed, especially if its need has not been announced. Such a timely deliverance of this gift of encouragement is a testimony to a strong bond of sensitive support and love that exists between two individuals.

This gift of encouragement should be used as a means of blessing for individuals who are seeking to accomplish something good in their lives, who are seeking to overcome some challenging difficulties that are destructive of their lives, relationships, bodies, and eternal destinies. It is certainly needed by non-Christians, but it is also regularly needed by Christians. It is especially needed by Christians and others who are seeking to confront the challenges of the Devil in the lives of others and to overcome the damaging effects of sin in their lives and that of their relatives, friends, associates, and other church members.

Paul, one of the primary teachers of Christianity and the author of many of the documents of the New Testament, teaches that we are to, “encourage one another and build each other up” (I Thessalonians 5:11). He gives some detailed instructions for doing this in subsequent verses 12–23. They include giving special words of encouragement to “the timid” (verse 14). This gift can be expressed in patience (verse 14) and kindness (verse 15). It involves holding “on to the good” (verse 21), which is the theme of this website.

Encourage one another in what is good with words of “thanks”, “keep up the good work”, “don’t give up”, “God bless you”, pats on one’s back, friendly hugs, timely calls, surprising notes, some unexpected flowers, a personal effort of help, daily prayers, and consistent friendship and love. Encouragement is a special gift with eternal benefits.

See his site: http://www.christianityetc.org/encouragement.php

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We want people to see Jesus shine through, but if they see us going around with negative attitude about everything the Jesus' power won't emulate through us. The secular world can provide them with all the doom and gloom they need.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Our word of encouragement will draw doubters in.

Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

John 17:23
I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

John 15:4
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; so neither can ye, except ye abide in me.

John 13:33-34
Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say unto you. A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

1 John 2:17
17And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

1 Thessalonians 5
Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus to you-ward.

1 John 2:12
I write unto you, my little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Corinthians 13
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love is long-suffering and is kind; love does not envy; love does not vaunt itself, nor is it puffed up,

5 Love does not behave itself unseemly, seeks not its own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil;

6 Love does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth;

7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; and whether there be tongues, they shall cease; and whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

13 And now abides faith, hope, and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, That you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

John 15:12
This is my commandment, That you love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17
These things I command you, that you love one another.

Romans 13:8
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.

1 Thessalonians 4:9
But as touching brotherly love you need not that I write to you: for you yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

1 Peter 1:22
Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently.

1 John 3:11
For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3:23
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

We may know a lot of Bible stuff, but it MUST be mixed with love, for else all that knowledge will be as nothing. People cannot receive knowledge that is not presented with love, because love is much greater than them all.

love, eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement