Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » George Carlin, meet Jesus Christ

Author Topic: George Carlin, meet Jesus Christ
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ANM:
I figure he was saved when he was younger, osas...he's with the Lord.

He had the filthiest mouth of any comedian I ever listed to. Do you mean I have to share heaven with him.??? [Eek!]

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeena:
Are you now saying that we're saved by works KnowHim?

What about the thief on the cross?

quote:
Matthew 7:19
Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

He only had one good work to speak of, that of believing on the Son of God for Salvation. [Wink]

Job 35:5-8
Look to the heavens and see;
And behold the clouds—
They are higher than you.
If you sin, what do you accomplish against Him?
Or, if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to Him?
If you are righteous, what do you give Him?
Or what does He receive from your hand?
Your wickedness affects a man such as you,
And your righteousness a son of man.

You either give Him all your sin or don't..

The REAL work comes in giving Him all your GOOD works! [wiggle7]

No we are not saved by works. But we sure are not saved if we don't know Him.

1 John 2:3-6 (NIV)
We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

As the above states, if you say you know Him but do not do obey Him your are a liar and you are not saved as you don't know Him and don't love Him.

You can not truly know Jesus Christ and not want to obey Him.

It is not works to obey and serve the one you truely love. And it is not hard to tell whom you truely love. It shows. If you love the world then you will serve the world. If you love yourself then you will serve yourself.

Most important, if you love Jesus Christ you will serve Him.

You can not fake it with God He knows if you love Him or not.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you now saying that we're saved by works KnowHim?

What about the thief on the cross?

quote:
Matthew 7:19

He only had one good work to speak of, that of believing on the Son of God for Salvation. [Wink]

Job 35:5-8
Look to the heavens and see;
And behold the clouds—
They are higher than you.
If you sin, what do you accomplish against Him?
Or, if your transgressions are multiplied, what do you do to Him?
If you are righteous, what do you give Him?
Or what does He receive from your hand?
Your wickedness affects a man such as you,
And your righteousness a son of man.

You either give Him all your sin or don't..

The REAL work comes in giving Him all your GOOD works! [wiggle7]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANM,

I think you forgot about me.

grin

[cool_shades]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourgonnadiedownthere
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats an understatement if I ever heard one.

God Bless you and your derailment.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANM
Advanced Member
Member # 7184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My train kinda jumped the track here recently, up to my ears in personal problems, Ill try to respond sometime soon.

--------------------
whats up?

Posts: 85 | From: pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANM
Advanced Member
Member # 7184

Icon 21 posted      Profile for ANM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta run right now but Ill post a reply later,

--------------------
whats up?

Posts: 85 | From: pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 6 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ANM:
I figure carlin got saved when he was young, he attended some jesuit seminary or school or something, "religion" left its mark on him, somehow the guy was wounded by the "church" and his life produced what it did. God don't throw his wounded children to the dogs like some here would have him do by their legalistic doctrine, its the same doctrine that hurts people like carlin, the glorious light of the gospel is just that... "glorious" the inexcusable thread comes to mind, the spirit of God can dwell in the temple with theives in the outer court as well. Then again maybe he was never saved as a young guy, who knows what the man said or believed in his last breath, perhaps the same thing the theif on the cross believed.

ANM,

I can totally see where you are coming from about the modern day institutionalized religious machine that people call Church now adays. I have also been hurt by this and know it is not of God. But this don’t mean that you just decide to create your own God and not believe the bible that God gave us just because man has trying to change it to be what they want it to be for their glory. You must study the bible and learn the true meaning for yourself asking for help from the Holy Spirit. Being religious will save no one. But knowing Jesus Christ will and is the only way. Creating a God to suit yourself is "idolatry," and it’s the oldest sin in the Book. Idolaters will not inherit the kingdom of God. The last video you posted looked to be sincere but looks like you have decided to think believing in Jesus Christ and acting on it is of little value. Being saved is not about going to church or doing what people want you to do. It is about knowing Jesus Christ and if you actually believing He died on the cross to pay your sin dept you would not intentionally sin. Yes we will say cuss words from time to time but not all the time and not on purpose. I use to cuss a blue streak all the time before I came to know Jesus Christ. But now I don’t but sometime the fly out of my mouth before I can stop them. But not often.

Being saved is not just mouthing words. It is believing in Jesus Christ, acting on it and repenting of your sins. Yes we will sin after we having come to know Jesus Christ but not intentionally.

>>> “who knows what the man said or believed in his last breath”

It is not very likely he would come to know Jesus Christ in the last seconds of his life. I sure would not bet on it.

Can you tell me what you think of the below that is in the bible?

Also do you believe the bible or just the parts you want to believe?

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? ~ Romans 6:1-2

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 (KJV)

He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

Matthew 7:17-19
Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.

Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Matthew 7:21-23 (KJV)

http://www.jesusclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c6bb9f0cd2a47751a186

Thanks,
David

Candle of Life
Member # 7219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candle of Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genius go figure.
Posts: 6 | From: Eastern Iowa | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANM
Advanced Member
Member # 7184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure carlin got saved when he was young, he attended some jesuit seminary or school or something, "religion" left its mark on him, somehow the guy was wounded by the "church" and his life produced what it did. God don't throw his wounded children to the dogs like some here would have him do by their legalistic doctrine, its the same doctrine that hurts people like carlin, the glorious light of the gospel is just that... "glorious" the inexcusable thread comes to mind, the spirit of God can dwell in the temple with theives in the outer court as well. Then again maybe he was never saved as a young guy, who knows what the man said or believed in his last breath, perhaps the same thing the theif on the cross believed.

--------------------
whats up?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus said that if you confess Him before men, He will confess you before the Father. I don't expect that George should look forward to that. It seems that he confessed 'George Carlin' before men! OSAS will not be enough to get his pinkey dipped into a thimble of water in the blasting heat of Hades. There is no evidence that GC got saved. If he did, osas is what he will discover in the endless miles of flaming tundra: Once sorry, allways sorry.

I heard the commentator on the radio today to say that GC did what others could not. He defined obscenity on the airwaves. I feel sorry for ya George. I feel sorrier for John Lennon who didn't realize what he was saying, or intend it to be taken the way the world heard it when he said that they were as well known as Jesus. Christians, so called, did not show him their love, but their self righteousness, which compelled him to be put off, which essentially led to what he considered to be a better philosophy: "Imagine there's no religion."

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANM
Advanced Member
Member # 7184

I figure he was saved when he was younger, osas...he's with the Lord.

--------------------
whats up?

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George Carlin, meet Jesus Christ
by Michael G. Mickey
(6-23-08)

Before anyone thinks I'm writing a Christian version of something like some who openly hate God did in the aftermath of Dr. Jerry Falwell's death, allow me to state that I am not, in any manner whatsoever, celebrating the death of comedian George Carlin who died yesterday at the age of 71. Truly, along with all those who loved him, his family, friends and fans, I am sorry to hear that he is no longer here with us, the last curtain of the stage that was his life now closed.

Having gotten that out of the way, if George Carlin's life on earth came to its end yesterday with him still believing that the Christian faith is nothing more than "religious superstition", he knows today what he chose not to know in the past - that Jesus Christ is Lord. He also knows that, without Christ as one's Savior, a great wit and sense of humor is of no benefit when it comes to avoiding an eternity of suffering and anguish that begins the very instant that an unrepentant sinner's life ends.

Death No Longer Funny

As seen in an Associated Press article, Carlin once poked fun at the widspread use of euphemisms in society today by saying that one can not simply "die" anymore:

"...thanks to our fear of death in this country I won't have to die. I'll 'pass away.' Or I'll 'expire,' like a magazine subscription. If it happens in the hospital they'll call it a 'terminal episode.' The insurance company will refer to it as 'negative patient care outcome.' And if it's the result of malpractice they'll say it was a 'therapeutic misadventure.'"
If Carlin, who once drew attention to himself by getting arrested in Milwaukee in 1972 for performing a comedy routine during which he spoke "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television", died without Jesus Christ as His Savior, there's another term we could use to describe his death. It's not a euphemism but it's fitting. We could call it a tragedy.

Although I never cared a great deal for his brand of comedy as it was most often too colorful for my liking, not to mention godless, I'd be lying if I said George Carlin had never said anything that made me laugh, the above being a prime example. More than once, although I never sought him out as someone to entertain me, something of his I saw, heard or read connected with me and left me chuckling, sometimes out loud. Not only could he say funny words, like all the comedic greats, his face and body language added to his spoken words. Never once did I, nor do I today, question that George Carlin was fearfully and wonderfully made by a loving God. (Psalm 139:14) That is, for me at the very least, the most troubling aspect of Carlin's 'terminal episode.'

Like many lost souls in the world around us today, any of whom could be in eternity by this time tomorrow awaiting the day when they will stand in judgment before Jesus Christ, George Carlin was very talented. He had the bull by the horns for many years of his life and will be remembered positively by many. Even so, in spite of all his successes, if he left this world lost in his sins - and I hope with all my heart he didn't - he would today give away all the wealth he acquired and all the fame he knew for decades to have just one moment here in this world to repent of his sins and acknowledge Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. And why is that?

Because George Carlin is, as of yesterday, no longer an atheist. And Jesus Christ? He's anything but a "religious superstition" to him now!

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement