Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Adonai YHWH--always the Lord GOD in the KJV

Author Topic: Adonai YHWH--always the Lord GOD in the KJV
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen kjw47! I agree.
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friends, Yes the Jewish spiritual leaders took out the name because they thought it to holy to be spoken. But God willed it to be there. God wants everyone to know his name.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, I posted from the Nelsons Bible Dictionary, this is used in most all the Protestant schools of theology.

Notice it says the Old Test Jews used Adonai(Lord) instead of His Name YHWH/Yahweh.

So the King James version uses their version Adonai(Lord) instead of His Name.

Yes, the King James Version does correctly translate the Hebrew Version "Adonai" as being "Lord", but it was the Jews who took out His Divine Name YHWH/Yahweh and substituted it with Adonai.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear yahsway, you wrote
quote:
The divine name Yahweh(YHWH) is usually translated "Lord" in English versions of the Bible ...

It was not King James who had the name of YHWH tranlated to Lord, God, it was the Jews.

yahsway, that is not correct. The King James translates the Hebrew YHWY into LORD (always all caps), and the KJV translates the Hebrew word Adonai into Lord (always inital cap L only).

The KJV is thankfully very consistent about this, so whenever I see LORD I know I'm looking at YHWY underneath, and whenever I see Lord (when it refers to divinity) I know I'm looking at Adonai underneath.

The only exception to this rule, as I have said before, is Lord GOD (with GOD in all caps), which in Hebrew is Adonai YHWH but the KJV translators felt it was awkward to translate Adonai YHWH as Lord LORD, so they translated the compound Adonai YHWH as Lord (Adonai) GOD (YHWH).

But normally the KJV translators had translated the Hebrew word Elohim into God, so they had to make a distinction between God (Elohim) and therefore they made Adonai YHWH into Lord GOD (all caps GOD), to distinguish it from God (Elohim).

So whenever I see the compound Lord GOD in the KJV, I know that underneath is Adonai YHWH (and not Adonai Elohim).

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

"The divine name Yahweh(YHWH) is usually translated "Lord" in English versions of the Bible, because it became a practice in Late Old Testament Judaism NOT to pronounce the sacred name YHWH, but to say instead "my Lord"(Adonai), a practice still used today in the synagogue."(Nelsons Bible Dictionary)

It was not King James who had the name of YHWH tranlated to Lord, God, it was the Jews.

"When the vowels of Adonai were attached to the consonants YHWH in the Medieval period, the word Yahweh resulted. Today many Christians use the name Yahweh, the more original pronunciation, not hesitating to name the divine name since Jesus taught believers to speak in a familiar way to God". (Nelsons Bible Dictionary)

Eden
unregistered

Dear kjw47, the original languages of the Old Testament and the New Testament are what they are.

But when translators had to make these names understandable to people who spoke other languages, the translators had to find concepts in the local language that they were translating the Bible into that match, as much as was possible, the meaning and intent of the original language of the Old Testament.

In the case of the KJV English, the word YHWH became LORD, while other English translations tried to make it understandable by writing the letters YHWH out as Yahweh and as Yehovah.

God understands all this and God's main object is the salvation of the people.

If the only way that a person in Old England and Ireland and Scotland could GRASP the intent of the original language of the Old Testament, if the closest word in their language was LORD and GOD, then that was the word chosen by the translators for the purpose of translating the original language into a local languages of England or Papua New Guinea or the Amazon, so tht the people would be able to understand, AND BE SAVED.

be blessed,
Eden

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friend, In every instance where the words GOD-LORD are capitolized in the ot Actually the tetragramoton appeared ( YHWH ) This is Gods personal name. Men took it out and replaced it nearly 7000 times in the ot. God had his name in those places because he wants it in those places. Men do not have the right to take Gods name out where he willed it to be written. It would be a wise thing for men to put Gods name back where it belongs.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Here is an example from the KJV where Lord, LORD and God all appear together in one verse:

Isaiah 51
22 Thus says your Lord (Hebrew, Adonai, the absolute owner of the earth) the LORD {Hebrew, Yehovah, the Covenant God of Israel), and your God {Hebrew, Elohim the Creator) who pleads the cause of His people...

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Isaiah 50:9
Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me?

Isaiah 52:4
For thus saiys the Lord GOD, My people went down aforetime into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause.

Isaiah 56:8
The Lord GOD who gathers the outcasts of Israel says, Yet will I gather others to him, beside those that are gathered to him.

Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

Isaiah 61:11
For as the earth brings forth her bud, and as the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

In the KJV, the word Lord is ALWAYS the Hebrew word Adonai, and in the KJV, the word LORD is ALWAYS the Hebrew word YHWH.

However, there are occasions when the Hebrew has “Adonai YHWH” together.

So if the KJV is going to translate these two combined words of “Adonai YHWH” according to the KJV method of “Adonai is always Lord”, and “YHWH is always LORD”, then “Adonai YHWH” would become “Lord LORD”.

And in order to AVOID that awkward reading, this is what the KJV did instead. You may not know this.

Whenever the KJV encountered “Adonai YHWH” together in the Hebrew, which SHOULD have been translated as “Lord LORD”, the KJV INSTEAD translated it into “Lord GOD”, with GOD in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

So let’s look at this example of Isaiah 61:11 again:

Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD {YHWH} has anointed me to preach good tidings to the meek; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them who are bound;

Lord GOD or Adonai YHWH. So I note that the Spirit of Adonai YHWH was on Jesus of Nazareth.

"Adonai YHWH" is always "Lord GOD" in the KJV, ALWAYS. So when I read in the Old Testament what the "Lord GOD" is doing, I am made to understand by the KJV translators that it is Adonai YHWH who is doing it.

The title Adonai for the Creator refers to the Creator being the Absolute Owner of the earth.

And the title YHWH for the Creator refers more to the Creator as a loving, nurturing Father to the people whom YHWH created in the beginning, and later to His people Israel whom He created from Abraham-Sarah-Isaac.

So it was the Spirit of Adonai YHWH or the Lord GOD, or thus the Spirit of the Creator as Absolute Owner and as a Loving Father, that were on Jesus of Nazareth.

with love, eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement