Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Discipleship

Author Topic: Discipleship
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a guide someone can use if he finds it helpful...

Personal Spiritual Inventory

Discipleship involves growth in spiritual disciplines and in Christian ministries. Disciples need periodically to measure their growth and determine where further growth needs to take place. The following chart will help you evaluate where you feel you are in your Christian life. It is for your private use and not for comparing with anyone else. It is not a test. No one is expected to be perfect. It reflects how you feel about your life of discipleship as much if not more than it reflects what you are doing as a disciple. You should ask God to help you see where you are now and where He wants you to be as a disciple.

Personal Inventory

Discipline of Individual Worship

I have a daily quiet time.
I try to make Christ Lord of my life.
I feel close to the Lord throughout the day.
I try to be aware of God’s presence.
I am aware that the Lord disciplines me.

Discipline of Bible Study

I read my Bible daily
I study my Bible each week.
I memorize a verse of Scripture each week.
I take notes at least once a week as I hear, read, or study the Bible to apply it to my life.

Discipline of Prayer

I keep a prayer list and pray for the persons and concerns on the list.
I have experienced a specific answer to prayer during the past month.
Each day my prayers include praise, thanksgiving, confession, petition, intercession.

Discipline of Fellowshipping with Believers

I seek to live in peace with Christians.
I seek reconciliation with those who have a problem with me or with whom I have a problem.
Others know I am a Christian by the way I love God’s people.
I live in harmony with my family.

Discipline of Witnessing

I pray regularly for lost persons by name.
I share my testimony with others when there is an appropriate opportunity.
I share the plan of salvation with those who are open to hear it.
I witness for Christ each week.
I follow up and encourage persons I have won to Christ.

Ministering to Others

I serve Christ through a job in my church.
I give at least a tithe through my church.
At least once a month I do kind deeds for persons less fortunate than myself.
I keep goals for my life clearly in mind.

(Disciple's Study Bible)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
Well, I cant say for certain what you are supposed to get out of it, but I believe that it offers a perspective on the gospel message that people might not get if they have never read it. For me personally, it strengthened my inner-conviction that Jesus yields a "call to discipleship" that cannot be ignored. Also I am led to believe that "confessing Jesus as Lord" goes hand in hand with an acceptance of Jesus' call to become one of His disciples. Everyone in the book of Acts that was added to the church was immediately named a disciple of the Lord Jesus. There did'nt appear to be a time period where new believers in Christ "sat back" in the security of their salvation deciding whether or not the discipleship thing was for them or not.

This whole thought line for me goes back to one of the strong beliefs that I have held for a long time now......that.....saving faith involves consent of the will to the assent of the understanding. This same conviction may have been reflected in the preaching of Billy Graham when he beckoned people to turn from their sins and commit their lives to Christ.

So for me I see no real difference in meaning between the following pleas:
--commit your life to Christ
--accept Jesus as Lord of your life
--surrender your life to Christ
--give your life to Christ
--accept Jesus call to discipleship
These all imply(in one way or another) an acceptance of Jesus' Lordship even though stated in diffent ways.

Why is this all so important to me?.....because I believe these are salvation issues.

Thanks for asking. I know that I added a little more than you were asking me though.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, oneinchrist, you asked me, Eden ... Did you get a chance to read the link that TB125 posted on this subject?

eden here: No, I have not looked at it; I've been blabbing away without it. Maybe on Monday I will try to read it at work.

What am I supposed to get out of the link? love, eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This is true.

Yet -is belief all that is required for salvation? Read on...(emphasis mine)

Rom 10:14-21 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But THEY HAVE NOT ALL OBEYED THE GOSPEL. For Isaiah saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Here in Ezekiel, God addressed the very subject of a people who believe in the word from God and are glad that God speaks to them, yet do not DO that which he says to DO -which is WHY God gave them over to desolations...

Eze 33:28-32 For I will lay the land most desolate, and the pomp of her strength shall cease; and the mountains of Israel shall be desolate, that none shall pass through. Then shall they know that I am the LORD, when I have laid the land most desolate because of all their abominations which they have committed. Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the LORD. And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they show much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness. And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

So we believe in Christ -on his name -and may even believe all the gospel should we correctly understand it -but what does it mean to OBEY THE GOSPEL?

If we believe in Christ, we should believe what he said. If Christ said to do something, we should do it. Part of believing in Christ -the most important part -is obeying him -as what he said IS the gospel!!!

What did Christ say? What part of the gospel requires OBEDIENCE?

Luk 6:46-49 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will show you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built a house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built a house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Is obedience REQUIRED for eternal life?

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18-19 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Do you honestly think he did not want us to keep the rest of them not specifically mentioned above?

Luk 10:25-26 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

Are not loving God and man outlined by all ten commandments -summarized by ...Luk 10:27 "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself."? Or do we use this as an excuse to cast aside the commandments of God?

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Does this not include the holy days kept by Christ, the apostles and new testament church, as described by the GOSPEL?

1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.

1Co 5:8 Therefore let us KEEP THE FEAST, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Act 20:16 For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus, because he would not spend the time in Asia: for he hasted, if it were possible for him, to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

1Co 16:8 But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost.

Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Joh 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

....and the sabbath commandment?

Act 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Mat 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jam 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
Thanks for the reply. Did you get a chance to read the link that TB125 posted on this subject?

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, oneinchrist. Your Topic was
quote:
Does Jesus make discipleship (following Him and His teachings) a condition for salvation?
Good question. I think that while Jesus was still alive during His 3-1/2 years of ministry in Israel, Jesus had not died on the cross yet and so Jesus had not paid for our sins yet.

Yet Jesus chose Himself disciples as He walked along the Sea of Galilee, before Jesus had died on the cross for our salvation by paying for our sins.

But Jesus also breathed on them and said, Receive the Holy Spirit":

John 20
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and said to them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when He had so said, He showed them His hands and His side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be to you: as My Father has sent Me, even so send I you.

22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.

23 Whose soever sins you remit, they are remitted to them; and whose soever sins you retain, they are retained.

And of course, being sensible men, they remitted their own sins first, lest they be retained.

In the case of those disciples alive with Jesus before Jesus had paid the price, I think an exception had to be made so that Jesus breathed on the disciples and they received the Holy Spirit BEFORE Jesus had paid for their sins. That was just an Executive Decision and Jesus and the LORD made.

So to get back to your Topic:
quote:
Does Jesus make discipleship (following Him and His teachings) a condition for salvation?
With us, it is actually similar. We get salvation by receiving the Holy Spirit first, and then discipleship follows, IF we read the Word of God and are really interested in Him:

Mark 7:6
He {Jesus} answered them, Well has Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, As it is written, This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me.

Some receive salvation, but don't become disciples. I fear that from them, maybe even their salvation may be taken back:

Matthew 25
27 You ought therefore to have put My money with the exchangers, and then at My coming I could have received My own with interest.

28 Take therefore the talent from him and give it to him who already has ten talents.

29 For to everyone who has shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him who has not shall be taken away even that which he has.

salvation first and then discipleship. Even salvation wasn't exactly free. I first had to hear and read the Word of God before faith could come:

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

So,
quote:
Maybe so.

with love, eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Matthew 19:28
And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of His glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luke 14:27
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple

John 8:12
Then Jesus spake again unto them saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 8:31
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salvation is FREE but the dues can get rather expensive....

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
Discipling is, indeed, important. When Jesus was giving the apostles the Great Commission, He said to teach or disciple the nations teaching them to observe all things whatsoever He had commanded.
Look what John writes about those commandments.
quote:
1 John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23 ¶ And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

When we aren't receiving whatsoever we ask of God, it may be because we are not loving our neighbor as ourselves.
Here's a little litmus test.
If you love your neighbor as yourself, the things you make will be just as available to the poor guy as it is to the rich guy. If you price it out of the reach of the poor guy, you love the rich guy more than you love the poor. However, you are not even loving the rich guy as yourself.
You are loving his money. You want to make that money yours because you love yourself so much.
Are we saved if we love ourselves more than our neighbors?
If we are taking care of ourselves, God is not obligated to give us anything.
quote:
Lu 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Bob,
My friend in the Lord.....thank you for the link. I think we all can learn from it and its scriptural references.

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an excellent article regarding this matter. It is entitled "Lordship Salvation", and it is written by William Webster. You can find it here: http://www.christiantruth.com/lordshipsalvation.html

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Does Jesus make discipleship(following Him and His teachings) a condition for salvation?

I really want to hear what you all think about this question. It is something that I dont think that I would have ever thought about unless I had spent a great deal of time in the gospels.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement