Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Question about the bible...

Author Topic: Question about the bible...
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Bible is clear -- sea creatures were created by God on Day 5 and land creatures were created by God on Day 6. These creatures included dinosaurs, which co-existed with man until they died off for various reasons, including most dramatically, the worldwide flood of Noah."

If the writer defines "man" as the bible does -that is... those who are offspring of Adam and Eve, then all (at least most -allowing for loose association) of the creatures we might refer to as dinosaurs did not coexist with man.
Science does not support this -nor does the biblical account.
Given the genealogies in the bible, Adam was created nearly 6,000 years ago. Men have taken this nuber of years and mistakenly assumed that the earth was originally created 6,000 years ago -or thereabout. This mistake has led men to try to make all other things fit this time frame.
Some have gone so far as to deduce that the earth must have been created with the appearance of age -but all this is not necessary. It is quite possible that men since Adam have hunted great creatures to extinction -giving rise to legends of slain dragons, etc... but dinosaurs as a whole lived in another time altogether -and this is not in disagreement with scripture. This is not to say that some humanoid creatures did not coexist with some creatures we might classify as dinosaurs or the like -but "man" -made in the image and likeness of God -and having the potential to become immortal -did begin 6,000 years ago -with Adam.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

There is no date given...

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

...but this can be misleading -as the earth BECAME or HAD BECOME formless and void AFTER it was first created -as we can see (at the very least see that it allows for such) by the definition of the word translated "was"...

היה
hâyâh
haw-yaw'
A primitive root (compare H1933); to exist, that is, be or become, come to pass........

So it is NOT necessary to assume that the earth is only 6,000 years old, as any number of years may have passed from its initial creation to its becoming formless and void. In fact, saying that the earth had become formless and void says that it went from being NOT so -to being so -even that it was an event which caused living things to cease from it until it was renewed.

In Job, we read that the angels shouted for joy at the creation of the earth -again -no date is given -but this does not sound like a proper reaction to a formless void....
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.....
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

We can also deduce -given the fact that Lucifer was once obedient, but that in Eden he had already turned and was Satan -coupled with the account of his attempt to overthrow the throne of God -which said he planned to ASCEND ABOVE THE HEIGHTS OF THE CLOUDS...
Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Isa 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
...that it is entirely possible that he was in authority under God on earth -led the third of the angels he was in authority over against God -and was cast back down to earth (Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.) -it is also entirely possible that demonic rebellion was the CAUSE of the earth becoming formless and void. Regardless -we know that he was here as Satan when Adam and Eve were in Eden.

What many believe to be the original creation is a renewal of a once-beautiful earth after an angelic/demonic struggle... though the outcome has never been in question...
Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
Rev 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Whether past or future -Satan is here now -and will soon be bound...

...but there is plenty of room for dinosaurs and all else in the biblical account.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup2]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol! Thanks becauseHelives, sheesh, i must have had a senior moment! You know they call it the "Golden Years but nothings "golden" about it, well, that is except for Yeshua!
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.allaboutgod.com/faq/dinosaurs.htm

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to www.allaboutGod.com/faq/dinasuars

This may help to answer your question. Shalom and welcome!

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenothtu
Member # 7134

Icon 5 posted      Profile for nenothtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may seem silly, but how come the bible never mentions the years of the dinosaurs?? Was God not aware of their existence????
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement