Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Thoughts on free will. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thoughts on free will.
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Carol - I think I can prove Biblically that a person cannot do anything of their own decision for the good of God. God may be able to use evil deeds to work out for good, but man of his own accord in a lost condition cannot perform good for God.

Chewy-

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 15:3 - 5 (NLT)

3You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.

4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

5“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

Chewy, do you think that a person who is spiritually dead can do good things for God?

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol-

Are you saying that before we were saved we had no choice to do anything good for God? That before we were saved all of our decisions were based on any reason other than the glory of God?

Only after salvation were we given the ability to choose to do those things that were good in God's sight?

Chewy-

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Christ has made us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get all tied up again in the chains of slavery to Jewish laws and ceremonies. (Galatians 5:1, TLB)

Freedom in Christ is the freedom to serve. Christ died to set us free from sin and from a long list of laws and regulations. Christ came to set us free—not free to do whatever we want because that would lead back into slavery to our selfish desires. Rather, thanks to Christ, we are now free and able to do what was impossible before—to live unselfishly. Those who appeal to their freedom so that they can have their own way or indulge their desires are falling back into sin. But it is also wrong to put a burden of law keeping on Christians. We must stand against those who would enslave us with rules, methods, or special conditions for being saved or growing in Christ.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Before, sin ruled over all men and brought them to death, but now God’s kindness rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Romans 5:21, TLB)

Freedom in Christ is the freedom to obey. As a sinner, separated from God, you see his law from below, as a ladder to be climbed to get to God. Perhaps you have repeatedly tried to climb it, only to fall to the ground every time you have advanced one or two rungs. Or perhaps the sheer height of the ladder seems so overwhelming that you have never even started up. In either case, what relief you should feel to see Jesus offering with open arms to lift you above the ladder of the law, to take you directly to God! Once Jesus lifts you into God’s presence, you are free to obey—out of love, not necessity; through God’s power, not your own. You know that if you stumble, you will not fall back to the ground. Instead, you will be caught and held in Christ’s loving arms.

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Carol that we have to 'go ye into the world' (around us) to show people the way, so that they know why they have to make a decision for Christ.

Back to free will. God has given the unjust free will to make their own decisions, whatever the consequences, unless there is some sort of prayer intervention. That is why there are wars and always will be wars.

Christians still are tempted to make carnal decisions, unless they submit their will totally over to Christ.

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen! Very well said carol.

We are not to go of our own free will, but we are to pray that God will send forth labourers into His harvest.

Of course He could send any of us. The labourers must be sent.

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

God is sending preachers around the world and while prayer doesn’t change His mind, He likes when we agree with what He is doing.

God bless,

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Matthew 9:37-38, NIV)

Christians should be personally responsible to pass on the gospel. Jesus needs workers who know how to deal with people’s problems. We can comfort others and show them the way to live because we have been helped with our problems by God and his laborers (2 Corinthians 1:3-7).

Jesus looked at the crowds following him and referred to them as a field ripe for harvest. Many people are ready to give their lives to Christ if someone would show them how. Jesus commands us to pray that people will respond to this need for workers. Often, when we pray for something, God answers our prayers by using us. Be prepared for God to use you to show another person the way to him.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is true....I chose Him because He first chose to love us. Gods love won me over. God has given us all the right reasons to choose Him.
Praise His Name. Jesus is Lord.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have free will. When we make a statement like that, we are saying that we are free to do as we please. We can accept or reject anyone or anything at anytime. We could accept today and reject tomorrow. We are totally free to do as we please with no restraint and a wide Variety of choice. Are we really this free? Were Adam and Eve this free? Yes, but only until they received God’s command. The command restricted their freedom of choice, but they believed the devils lie and disregarded the command, there free will was no match for the enemy.

That begs the question, is it any different today? Is free will powerful enough to resist the temptation of the enemy? No. So how then are sinners going to choose Christ? They are blind and deaf; indeed they are dead if left to themselves. They need supernatural help. Adam didn’t choose to go looking for God. Instead God chose to go after him.

When God saves us we are adopted into His family. In adoption the parents choose the child, not the other way round.

When we are saved we have opportunities of battling in God’s army. When we present our bodies to join the army we don’t have free will to do as we please, we are under the command of the force.

We can decide to resign from the army, but our adoption is legally binding.

So yes we have free will, but our will comes under certain restrictions.

We aren’t robots, but our will is strongly influenced by supernatural powers

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement