Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Bishops and deacons

Author Topic: Bishops and deacons
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
This subject is very important.
The other half of this is that the denominations are deaconic/attendant structures.
Consider this. Paul was a deacon. He refers to himself as such several times. He says that the apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastor/teachers composed the deaconry. (Your version probably says 'ministry'. Read the Greek.)
Paul left Titus and Timothy in places where they could attend to the work he started. Paul called Timothy's job a ministry/deaconry.
One deacon setting another deacon in place with orders is a deaconic structure. That is exactly what the denominations do.
Problem is that the overseers are not over the deaconries. The denominations pretend some accountability by creating 'underseers' and calling them overseers.
Read 3 John. What does the first line say?
quote:
3 John 1 ¶ The elder unto the well beloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.
As I pointed out in the lead post, elders are bishops are overseers. John writes declaring his responsibility as an elder.
Now look at verse 9.
quote:
3 John 9 ¶ I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
John is part of a group which he, an elder, represents. He's writing on behalf of the elders.
What is he writing? He's telling Gaius that Diotrophes isn't playing ball with the elders. He gives specific information of that pastor's resistance to accountability, and recommends that Gaius go to Demetrius's church.
quote:
3 John 12 ¶ Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true.
Did you notice how John uses that 'we' word, again. Then, he uses the 'our'.
Brothers, we need to set up a multi-denominational group of elders/overseers/bishops in every city. These guys can watch and support their favorite denomination. But, when they notice a pastor taking advantage of a flock, they can bring their concerns before the rest of the elders so that corrective action can be taken.
In time, I see such a brotherhood employing several Christian fellowships for the operation of a comprehensive educational system in every city which will be the envy of the public school system.
quote:
Ro 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
1 Cor 13:4 ¶ Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to sound like a broken record but the Roman Catholic Wh!ore is primarily responsible for the condition of The Church today!

The reformation has still only just begun…
This is a very important subject, worthy of our study and prayer….

A good book on the subject I recommend is …”Pagan Christianity “by Frank Viola

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jiggyfly
Advanced Member
Member # 6972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jiggyfly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a good article on the subject.
http://www.therebuilders.org/articles/clericalerror.html

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Php 1:1 Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops <1985> and deacons:

Did you know that the word interpreted 'bishops' here is the same word translated overseers in Acts 20?
quote:
Ac 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers <1985>, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
The bishops are the same as the overseers which were previously, in Acts 20, identified as elders. Bishop=overseer=elder.
Did you realize that Paul told these men that they had received all the counsel of God from him? That means there can be no new counsel from God. The order never changes.
Did you realize that in both cases of the occurrence of this bishop/overseer word that there were more than one in each city?
Did you realize that there was no "Senior Overseer"? They were ordered keep an eye on each other.
Did you realize that the counsel of God concerning bishops/overseers was that they were to maintain their own support by working with their own hands?
quote:
Acts 20:17 ¶ And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.
18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
33 I have coveted no man’s silver, or gold, or apparel.
34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Did you know that the deacons were the apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastors/teachers?
Did you know that the phrase 'bishops and deacons' can just as fairly be interpreted 'overseers and servants'? This being true, the real leadership of the church belongs to the laity- not the professional clergy.
We have church so upside-down.
I can prove this with scriptures of course.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement