Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Of all the tribes of Israel? Then, why not Dan?

Author Topic: Of all the tribes of Israel? Then, why not Dan?
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Levites were taken by God to be the priesthood -an honor -and did not receive a separate land inheritance -but never lost their "tribehood", if you will. They dwelt with every other tribe, but were always a tribe.

Ephraim and Manasseh are both Joseph's sons, so were both originally of the tribe of Joseph. Only Dan lost their "tribehood" -which was a dishonor -leaving one 'space' -which was 'filled' by the splitting of Joseph into Ephraim and Manasseh. Joseph in Revelation can only mean the other half of the bloodline not represented by Manasseh, as Joseph only had two sons -though the use of his name rather than Ephraim's might also be due to Ephraim's sin.

Deu 18:1 The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance.
Deu 18:5 For the LORD thy God hath chosen him out of all thy tribes, to stand to minister in the name of the LORD, him and his sons forever.

However -Dan will one day again be counted among the 12.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
Look at the first list of the Twelve Tribes.
quote:
Gen 49:3 Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
4 Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father’s bed; then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch.
5 ¶ Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations.
6 O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honour, be not thou united: for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall.
7 Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.
8 ¶ Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father’s children shall bow down before thee.
9 Judah is a lion’s whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?
10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
11 Binding his foal unto the vine, and his *** ’s colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes:
12 His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk.
13 ¶ Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for an haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon.
14 Issachar is a strong *** couching down between two burdens:
15 And he saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute.
16 Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel.
17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.
18 I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD.
19 Gad, a troop shall overcome him: but he shall overcome at the last.
20 Out of Asher his bread shall be fat, and he shall yield royal dainties.
21 Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words.
22 ¶ Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall:
23 The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him:
24 But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:)
25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
26 The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.
27 Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.
28 ¶ All these are the twelve tribes of Israel: and this is it that their father spake unto them, and blessed them; every one according to his blessing he blessed them.

Levi appears with Simeon in a way that is, oddly, different from the names of the rest of the list. Neither Ephraim nor Manasseh are in the list even though Jacob had, already, given the Birthright to Joseph.
Weird.
Later on, God separates Levi for His work in a way that represents the firstborn of Judah and Israel.
quote:
Ex 22:29 Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.
Num 3:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
12 And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;
13 Because all the firstborn are mine; for on the day that I smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I hallowed unto me all the firstborn in Israel, both man and beast: mine shall they be: I am the LORD.

So, the Levites were removed from the tribes of Israel leaving an open place among the twelve. Thus, Ephraim and Manasseh began to be numbered as tribes with their uncles.
That Levi is, again, counted as a tribe of Israel is interesting in itself. It was the job of Aaron of Levi and Aaron's sons to bear the iniquity of the congregation lest the wrath of God break forth against Israel. It seems, from the writing, that they bore the sin, actually, by eating the sacrifices.
Now that that economy is gone, they are available to re-fill porous allotments in Israel.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God decreed that Dan would not be counted among the tribes of Israel due to idolatry. (I can't find the verse that says this specifically at this time -but there is one in there somewhere). In their stead, Joseph was split into the half-tribes Ephraim and Manesseh -which are now counted as separate tribes, so there are still technically 12 tribes -Joseph is mentioned in Revelation along with Manasseh, but Joseph still refers to Ephraim, as he only had the two sons -(though the omission of the name Ephraim, and the use of Joseph specifically, might have to do with Isaiah chapters 7 and 9 -just a guess). Levi, though always counted a tribe, was not given their own inheritance as a tribe -but were among all the other tribes as priests in their lands.

Dan's descendents are not doomed, but will have a place among Israel in the kingdom of God -just as some other decrees of God only apply to this age. Such as the curses after the incident in eden -which were not the originally intended state -and which will will not apply once we are immortal (and without gender, for that matter[Mat 22:30]).

Here is one of many articles on the subject....

http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/BQA/k/115/Why-Is-Tribe-of-Dan-Not-Mentioned-Revelation-74-8.htm

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the Antichrist Jewish?

Although there is no definitive answer, two Bible verses provide us with good reason to believe he will be.

The first appears in the Book of Genesis when God prophesies the coming of Israel’s Messiah and Satan’s Antichrist.

“From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.” Genesis 3:15 (NLT)

Later on, when Jacob is blessing his sons, he makes this prophecy about Dan:

“Dan will govern his people like any other tribe in Israel. He will be a snake beside the road, a poisonous viper along the path, that bites the horse’s heels so the rider is thrown off.” Genesis 49:16-17 (NLT)

This reference to a serpent striking a heel may indicate that the Antichrist will be a Jew from the tribe of Dan, but it isn’t certain and many reasonable people are divided on this issue.

In addition to this reference to the tribe of Dan, the Book of Daniel points out that the Antichrist will worship himself above all else:

“Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.” Daniel 11:37 (KJV)

This passage is often referenced by those who believe the Antichrist will be of Jewish heritage. The fact that he will have no regard “for the God of his fathers” is viewed as a reference to the monotheistic God of the Jews.

Adding further fuel to speculation that the Antichrist might be Jewish is the following passage from the Book of Revelation:

“Then I saw another beast come up out of the earth. He had two horns like those of a lamb, and he spoke with the voice of a dragon.” Revelation 13:11 (NLT)

This verse states that the Antichrist will “come up out of the earth,” a biblical phrase often associated with the promised land and the Jewish people. Throughout the Old Testament, the earth is used as a symbol for Israel, while the sea is used as a symbol for the Gentile peoples:

“And now in my vision I saw beast rising up out of the sea. It had seven heads and ten horns, with ten crowns on its horns. And written on each head were names that blasphemed God.” Revelation 13:1 (NLT)

The verse above is a reference to the Antichrist’s kingdom, which as stated before, will be a revived form of the Roman Empire – thus emerging from among the Gentile people. But all the authority of this kingdom will be exercised by “the beast from the earth” referenced in Revelation 13:11:

“He exercised all the authority of the first beast. And he required all the earth and those who belong to this world to worship the first beast, who death-wound had been healed.” Revelation 13:12 (NLT)

The first beast, whose “death-wound had been healed,” is the revived Roman Empire. The Book of Daniel clearly states that this world empire will re-emerge in the last days, thus becoming healed of its mortal wound. But the one who rules it will “come up out of the earth.” Could this be a reference to the Antichrist’s Jewish heritage?

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the tribes of Israel? Then, why not Dan?

Revelation 7
4 And I heard the number of them who were sealed: and there were sealed 144,000 of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

5 Of the tribe of Judah were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed 12,000.

6 Of the tribe of Asher were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Naphthali were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of {Joseph} Manasseh were sealed 12,000.

7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed 12,000.

8 Of the tribe of Zebulon were sealed 12,000. Of the tribe of Joseph {Ephraim} were sealed 12,000. And of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed 12,000.

The tribe of Dan is omitted during this time. Why do you think that is?

Note further that the tribe of Dan reappears in Ezekiel 48:1 when the Lord Jesus rules over the nations, Dan is back and is alotted the north part of the New Israel:

Ezekiel 48
1 Now these are the names of the tribes. From the north end to the coast of the way of Hethlon, as one goes to Hamath, Hazarenan, the border of Damascus northward, to the coast of Hamath; for these are his sides east and west; a portion for Dan.

So let me repeat Revelation 7:4:

Revelation 7
4 And I heard the number of them who were sealed: and there were sealed 144,000 of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

Why not Dan?

Be blessed, everyone,
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement