Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A Thousand Years

Author Topic: A Thousand Years
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Eden,
quote:
Ps 50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
Are there only a thousand hills upon which cattle can be found? If not, who owns the cattle on the rest of the hills?
You've probably seen that one before.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a brain tweaker......
but....
Since those who are given life will have forever with Christ and the Father....and a 'day' is merely a description of the constant flux -the ebb and flow, if you will -waxing and waning, even -of the juxtaposition of moving objects relative to each other.....and we will not necessarily be in close proximity to the earth forever -at least not at all times -and therefore not always subject to earth days.....but concerned, rather, with planning our actions by the relative motion of other objects..........................................what was I saying? [Confused]

Oh well -it'll be cool, anyway! Yayyy [hyper]

Isa 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the HEAVENS; God himself that formed the EARTH and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A THOUSAND YEARS

Following are the verses which contain the phrase a thousand , all referring to years such as a thousand years:

Rev.20:2 And {the angel} laid hold of the dragon, that old serpent which is the Devil and Satan, and bound {Satan} a thousand years.

Rev.20:3 And {Satan} was thrown into the bottomless pit and {the angel} shut him up and set a seal upon him, so that {Satan} could not deceive the nations anymore, until a thousand years were fulfilled; and after that, {Satan} must be loosed for a little season.

Rev.20:4 And I saw thrones and they who sat upon them, and judgment was given to them; and I saw the souls of them who were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and for the word of God, and who had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, nor had received his mark upon their foreheads or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Rev.20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until a thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Rev.20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection; on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of His Christ and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Rev.20:7 And when a thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison.

In Rev.20:2-7, the words a thousand in the phrase a thousand years is always the Greek word chilioi, Strong's 5507.

In addition to Rev.20:2-7, the same word chilioi occurs in 2 Peter 3:8 and also in Revelation 11:3 and 12:6 and 14:20:

3:8 Now beloved, do not be ignorant of this one thing, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

11:3 And I will give power to My two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand and 260 days, clothed in sackcloth.

12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness where a place has been prepared for her by God, that they should feed her there a thousand and 260 days.

14:20 And the winepress was trodden outside the city and blood came out of the winepress, as high as horses’ bridles, over a space of a thousand and 600 furlongs.

All these, and only these, are the Greek word chilioi, translated as a thousand.

This word chilioi can also have a prefix before it, so that chilioi becomes more than a thousand.

So for instance, dischilioi means two thousand in Mark 5:13. And trischilioi means three thousand in Acts 2:41. And tetrakischilioi means four thousand in Matthew 15:38, and pentakischilioi means five thousand in Matthew 14:21.

But what then of the above-quoted verses which only have the word chilioi in them, without a prefix?

It appears reasonable to believe that when chilioi has no prefix before it, that chilioi therefore indeed means a thousand, meaning one thousand .

Once that is believed, it becomes interesting to note that 2 Peter 3:8 said that one day was as a thousand years with the Lord:

2 Peter 3
8 Now beloved, do not be ignorant of this one thing, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as one day.

My question then is: If one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, how long then is a thousand years with the Lord? A thousand times times a thousand years?

eden
"I'm looking forward to living in the world-to-come"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement