Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Isa.9;20 What do U think?

Author Topic: Isa.9;20 What do U think?
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't specifically address the verse -but pointed out that there are extreme circumstances to come -which will cause some to literally turn to eating their own kind -the bible does clearly speak of this in several places -though such phrases as 'eat their own flesh' are also used in the bible as analogies to one acting against one's best interest, etc...

During times of famine and war -even in these modern times, cannibalism is more common than many would like to think about.... as a quick online search of 'cannibalism in wartime' will reveal. It seems unthinkable -and those who have faith in God would be less likely to do so -not fearing death -but to survive, many will do anything possible.

Even if the words in the bible don't literally mean that.. it has happened, does happen and will happen again.

Isa 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.

Jer 19:9 And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
Here are a few things that could bring that along.
quote:
Rev 8:7 ¶ The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

Re 8:8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

Re 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Re 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Re 8:12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

Re 9:15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

If these were to come close together, you can see the problem. Some of the trees must be fruit trees. The green grass is necessary to feed livestock and make hay. Fish can't live on blood. When many men die, some are bound to be farmers,ranchers, fishermen. When the sun doesn't give all it's light, plants grow slowly.
Of course, because of the prophetic context, these things are probably figurative. (However, there have been prophecies that appeared to be fulfilled on multiple levels.) For instance, the great mountain burning could be the fulfillment of a prophecy on the natural city of Babylon.
quote:
Jer 51:24 And I will render unto Babylon and to all the inhabitants of Chaldea all their evil that they have done in Zion in your sight, saith the LORD.
25 Behold, I am against thee, O destroying mountain, saith the LORD, which destroyest all the earth: and I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and roll thee down from the rocks, and will make thee a burnt mountain.

The son, moon and stars are, sometimes, representative of Israel. If that were true in the Fourth Trumpet, that could mean a weakening of the Israel of God. Wwhether by allowing zeal to fail (cares of this world, and deceitfulness of riches, and other things entering in), or by persecution and martyrdom, I couldn't say.
Interesting aside, here. These trumpet troubles aren't even considered with the three woes that follow. I mean, come on. When one third of men are killed in the Fourth Trumpet, why wouldn't some one call that a Woe. Of course if that "third part of men" being killed is proportionate upon the Israel of God, that would explain the lessening of light thing from the sun, moon, and stars.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barnes’ Notes on the Old Testament

Isaiah 9:20

And he shall snatch
Hebrew, ‘He shall cut off.’ Many have supposed that this refers to a state of famine; but others regard it as descriptive of a state of faction extending throughout the whole community, dissolving the most tender ties, and producing a dissolution of all the bonds of life. The context Isa. 9:19, 21 shows, that the latter is meant; though it is not improbable that it would be attended with famine. When it is said that he ‘would cut off his right hand,’ it denotes a condition of internal anarchy and strife.

And be hungry—And not be satisfied.
Such would be his rage, and his desire of blood, that he would be insatiable. The retarder of those on one side of him would not appease his insatiable wrath. His desire of carnage would be so great that it would be like unappeased hunger.

And he shall eat
The idea here is that of contending factions excited by fury, rage, envy, hatred, contending in mingled strife, and spreading death with insatiable desire everywhere around them.

They shall eat
Not literally; but “shall destroy.” To eat the flesh of anyone, denotes to seek one’s life, and is descriptive of blood-thirsty enemies;

Ps. 27:2: ‘When the wicked, even mine enemies and foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell;’

Job 19:22:
Why do ye persecute me as God,
And are not satisfied with my flesh?

The flesh of his own arm
The Chaldee renders this, ‘Each one shall devour the substance of his neighbor.’ Lowth proposes to read it, ‘The flesh of his neighbor.’ but without sufficient authority. The expression denotes a state of dreadful faction—where the ties of most intimate relationship would be disregarded, represented, here by the appalling figure of a man’s appetite being so rabid that he would seize upon and devour his own flesh. So, in this state of faction and discord, the rage would be so great that people would destroy those who were, as it were, their own flesh, that is, their nearest kindred and friends.
[mad2]

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ said .... Mar 13:19 "For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
Mar 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved..."

Part of this trouble is great hunger(Rev 6:5-6). Famine is nothing new -but even parts of the world which have not known it will -unless we turn to God. This is not to say that all who have gone hungry have done so due to God's anger -far from it -part of God's anger is due to people who cause others to go hungry.

As far back as Leviticus, God explained that obedience would bring blessing and disobedience cursing. Specifically concerning hunger are the following...
Lev 26:19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:
Lev 26:20 And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.
Lev 26:26 And when I have broken the staff of your bread, ten women shall bake your bread in one oven, and they shall deliver you your bread again by weight: and ye shall eat, and not be satisfied.
Lev 26:27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;
Lev 26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.
Lev 26:29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

This may seem harsh -but God looks down on a world which makes it illegal for some to collect rainwater so they are forced to buy water they can't afford -which makes it illegal to collect seed and forces people to buy suicide-gene seeds every year they can't afford -to the effect that many farmers in certain places are committing suicide, etc...

These times of trouble will affect the whole world, but God can protect those who seek him in the midst of it -and save them out of it eternally.

It can be avoided -but that remains to be seen...
Jer 18:7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;
Jer 18:8 If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
Jer 18:9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
Jer 18:10 If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

The good news is that this trouble may be the worst that ever has been -but it will be the worst that ever will be -Christ will then rule and enforce peace.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm:

Literal~?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement