Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Should bornagain Christians still pray for the peace of Jerusalem?

Author Topic: Should bornagain Christians still pray for the peace of Jerusalem?
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely! By analogy, one's time here on earth, after God puts his spirit in one, is like time in the womb -we are conceived, so to speak.
Putting on the spiritual/immortal is gradual within us -but immediate as it will concern our bodies -when they are changed.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaiah said, "Wow. I personally don't believe anyone is truly born again until they are spirits (Joh 3:7-8), but..."

Eden here: I agree, but we are also not what we were anymore. In this dispensation between Jesus's first coming and His second coming/our glorification, we are MORE THAN just psyke natural body because we have a downpayment of the Holy Spirit.

We may not be entirely BORN AGAIN YET, but we ARE A NEW CREATURE already, neither Jew nor Greek, but a third kind of man, a new kind of man, already.

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 4:24
And that you put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Colossians 3:10
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him.

1 Corinthians 15
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?

36 You fool, that which you sow is not quickened, except it die:

37 And that which you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat or of some other grain.

38 But God gives it a body as it has pleased Him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differs from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption.

43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit the spiritual was not first, but the natural was first; and afterwards that which is spiritual.

So Isaiah, I agree, we are still in our natural bodies in this dispensation and only have the downpayment of the Holy Spirit now, which probably means access to the Holy Spirit because we are reconciled with God. We are partially bornagain at this point, a new kind of man, already now.

eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I personally don't believe anyone is truly born again until they are spirits (Joh 3:7-8), but...

Jerusalem has never known peace -at least not for very long.

When we pray "Thy kingdom come...on earth as it is in heaven" we are praying for the peace of Jerusalem!!!!!!!!!!!
This is because when the kingdom comes in GLORY, it will begin at Jerusalem -and Jerusalem will finally know peace -and Christ will then bring peace to the earth!...
God will accomplish his purpose of purifying his people, but then it will all be worthwhile..

Isa 40:1 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
Isa 40:2 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Mic 4:2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
Mic 4:3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Mic 4:4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [hyper]

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is. 62:6

I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; They shall never hold their peace day or night. You who make mention of the Lord, do NOT keep silent.

verse 7
And give Him(God) no rest till He establishes and till He makes Jerusalem a Praise in the Earth.

Gods restoration will include Watchmen of prayer. So yes, pray for Jerusalems peace.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Well, I can't say that I pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

What kind of peace does this refer to? Just normal, have a nice quiet day kind of peace?

eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good point, yahsway [thumbsup2]

not that Heaven isn't a Great place, a Beautiful place but Heaven isn't the final dwelling place of the Christian...

I'm looking for New Heaven and New Earth....

1. Isaiah 65:17
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

2. Isaiah 66:22
For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

3. 2 Peter 3:13
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

4. Revelation 21:1
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Yeshua returns He will reign from the Jerusalem that we know of now before the New heaven and earth and New Jerusalem are made.

Rev 20:7

Now when the 1000 years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to decieve the nations which are in the 4 corners of the earth, Gog and Magog to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea.

After this Satan is cast into the lake of fire,

Then after this you have the great white throne of Judgement, then after this you have the New Heaven and New earth and the New Jerusalem coming DOWN from Heaven and God the Father dwelling again with men.

Notice God is coming down to the New Earth Chapter 21:3

And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.

Satan is thrown into a pit and bound with chains for the 1000 year reign of Yeshua on this earth from the now Jerusalem.

After that 1000 year reign Satan will be let out and the final battle which will be at the now Jerusalem and God the Father who is in Heaven will rain down fire and devour them.

verse 9
They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints AND the beloved city (Jerusalem)

Yes, pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

Ya know the many mansions that Yeshua spoke about, that He was going to prepare a place, this is the New Jerusalem that will be coming down to the New Earth after the 1000 year reign of Christ on this now earth.

We are not going to be living in Heaven forever, but God Himself is coming down here to tabernacle with us as He did in the days of Adam and eve in the garden, as He did in the days of Moses and the children of Israel in the wilderness.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, yes I pray for the peace Jerusalem everyday, I pray for peace on earth everyday, I pray to be at peace with all men as much as is possible everyday, I pray for the Prince of Peace, Yeshua to return soon everyday.

Why would any Christian pray for anything but peace for Jerusalem?

Yeshua prayed for peace for those that despised Him, hated Him, Killed Him, how can I pray anything different?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Okay, hello, thank you for all your posts and opinions and scriptures, but who among you on this church bbs actually prays for Jerusalem every day?

I know I haven't prayed every day for the peace of Jerusalem, and is that because the Old Jerusalem is condemned too with the rest of the earth?

Is it because I'm looking for a new Jerusalem which comes down from heaven that I don't pray for the current Jerusalem?

Is it because I know the condition of the current Jerusalem will not change UNTIL HE COMES TO WHOM IT BELONGS, EVEN SHILOH, so that I don't pray for the peace of THIS Jerusalem...

Ezekiel 21:27
I will overturn, overturn, overturn, it: and it shall be no more, until He comes whose right it is; and I will give it Him.

Genesis 49:10
The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to him {Shiloh} shall the gathering of the people be.

By the PEACE of Jerusalem, did the God of Israel mean, "the time when MY SON is in charge in Jerusalem"? Or was God talking about the CURRENT Jesusalem, and if so, why are we Christians NOT praying for the current Jerusalem. Because it was a command:

Psalm 122
5 For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David.

6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper who love you.

7 Peace be within your walls, and prosperity within.

So why again do Christians NOT have to pray for the peace of current Jerusalem? I admit that I have NOT been praying for the peace of Jerusalem, as such. Have you?

Which brings up an interesting point: Will the Prince Jesus of Ezekiel 40-48 rule over the heathen from the CURRENT Jerusalem or will the Prince Jesus of Ezekiel 40-48 rule over the heathen from a NEW Jerusalem which HOVERS over the current Israel area for 1,000 years?

Revelation 21
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Look the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Will Jesus rule over the earth from the CURRENT Jerusalem or from the NEW Jerusalem.

And may I ask you who have posted, or anyone else, who among you on this christian bbs actually prays for the peace of Jerusalem every day? Anyone here? And why?

Should bornagain Christians still pray for the peace of Jerusalem?

Psalm 122:6
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper who love you.

And which are ye prayin fur?

love, eden

CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 19 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AT THIS POINT WE WILL JUST HAVE TO AGREE TO DISAGREE. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT EVERY PROPHETIC VERSE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IS PROPHETIC TO THE NEW COVENANT DIRECTLY IN THE FASHION YOU HAVE SHOWN ON THIS SUBJECT AND BY YOUR WORDING APPARENTLY YOU DON'T EITHER. THIS BEING THE CASE THERE HAS TO BE A DEFINING POINT TO DISTINGUISH WHETHER IT IS FULLFILLED OR STILL TO COME. I VIEW THIS AS HAVING BEEN FULFILLED. YOU DON'T. OUR DEFINING LINES DIFFER. THANKFULLY THIS DOESN'T CARRY SALVATORY CONSEQUENCES.

GOD BLESS-

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, I felt something I didn't like in me. That has to come from one place or another to show whether I can pray, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do".
I believe Jer 11 was prophetic for the New Covenant people- the new covenant being a covenant made for the house of Israel and the house Judah to both of whom God was married. Both houses stumbled. Israel got a bill of divorce from God, and a promise of remarriage. Judah got a visit from her Husband, and she killed Him.
That ended all of Judah's claims upon God. It, also, freed her to join in a new covenant with God.

Read Romans 7:1-4
quote:
Rom 7:1 ¶ Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

By the ending of this covenant, you have the fulfillment of many parts of Jeremiah 11.
As I pointed out in my first post on this topic, Paul presents his own time to declare the fulfillment of the breaking off of the branches of the green olive tree.
However, there is more.
quote:
Jer 11:15 What hath my beloved to do in mine house, seeing she hath wrought lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed from thee? when thou doest evil, then thou rejoicest.
In AD 70, God closed His house on earth so that the house of Judah could not, ever, return and use it for serving false gods.
This, I realize, is an interpretation, but it is an interpretation supported by the words of Paul which, also, I sited in my first post on this topic. But, with just a little cutting and pasting, I can do it, again.
quote:
Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Cast out the bondwoman and her son. The bondwoman is the old covenant and the Jerusalem that was in the earth at Paul's time. The children of the house of Judah were her sons.
Though they are cast out, it is only because they refuse to accept Jesus as their King. When they accept the new covenant with us, Jesus comes back.
quote:
Act 3:12 ¶ And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.
18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

At that point, they, too, will be children of our mother, the Jerusalem above/heavenly Jerusalem/the Jerusalem which comes down out of heaven.
Remember that Jerusalem stands for the national center where all goings on are measured according to the standard of justice, truth, faithfulness, and righteousness. Jesus is doing that, now, in the heavenly Jerusalem- not the inhabitants of the earthly Jerusalem.
quote:
Heb 12:18 ¶ For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Eventually, according to the way I interpret Zec. 12, the New Jerusalem moves back into the space that was the old Jerusalem.
quote:
Zec 12:6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.

It is in this prophecy that God says He will save Judah, and, following that salvation, He no longer refers to Judah. They are just "inhabitants of Jerusalem". In other words, the branches of the olive tree that Jeremiah prophesies will be broken off, Zechariah prophesies will be inhabitants of Jerusalem, again.
Meanwhile, we are the ones grafted into the green olive tree. We are the new inhabitants of Jerusalem.
And, it is through the help we give the children of the house of Judah that they will recognize, in their hearts, that the Lord of hosts is our God.
quote:
Zec 12:5 And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God.
6 In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem.
7 The LORD also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah.
8 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them.
9 ¶ And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

So, since Daniel did pray for Israel after Jerusalem had been invaded by Nebuchadnezzar, the bondwoman and her sons had not, yet, been cast out. Since Jesus came to visit those who were his, the bondwoman and her sons had not, yet, been cast out.
It was not until the men of Judah conspired and killed the Husband of Judah that their house was left to them desolate.
quote:
Jer 11:9 And the LORD said unto me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah, and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
Thank you for your response using actual scriptures with reasoning. That is the way iron can sharpen iron.
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Jeremiah 11verse 8, God tells Jeremiah that a similar punishment has already fallen upon his fathers. He then warns Jeremiah that He is about to do it again. In verse 9 the conspiracy being brought to light was found among Jeremiah's generation. They are committing the same sins as their ancestors [in verse 8]. Jeremiah is then told in verse 11 that He is about to bring disaster upon them. Verse 14 then says do not pray for them. This can be seen as having happened already in the past and therefore His mandate not to pray for them would only apply to the generation of Jeremiah which was about to [once again] be taken into "captivity." As we read on through the chapter we find that in conclusion these who are standing against God will be slaughtered and not even a remnant will remain of them [v.22-23] Most view this as the invasion of the Assyrian invaders who came into and took Jerusalem. We also know that the Babylonian captivity happens after this, but yet Israel is once again restored at least once by Nehemiah and again later by the Macabees. Thus the mandate of "not praying" would be no longer in effect with Israel's restoration.

Daniel 9:11 confirms the fulfillment of the prophecy of Jeremiah, and further Daniel prays for peace in Jerusalem in Daniel 9:16-19 some 40-50 years after Jeremiah's death. God then sends Gabriel to confirm that daniel's prayer will be answered in ch.9:24-27. This was fulfilled by the authorization of Cyrus to rebuild the temple @ 538 B.C. and the decree of Artaxerxes Longimanus in 445 B.C.

Therefore I find it hard to believe that Jeremiah 11 is prophetic for today. It was prophetic for Jeremiah and instructive for his time. But that mandate not to pray for Jerusalem ended wuth the fulfillment of Jeremiah's prophecy as is proven by God's restoring Israel.

If I offended you in my previous note, I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

When I read that someone thought I had taken my opinion to far, of course, I felt like reacting with "Well, blah, blah blah..." You know. The same four or five scriptures that every one uses to return the blame.
But, it being that
  • the devil's name means accuser, and,
  • I am trying to give no place to the devil at all, and,
  • I could feel that wrong attitude in my heart,
I decided to turn my heart over to God and wait until I, both, felt love for my accuser and could respond with something wiser.
I slept well that night.
Yesterday, the Lord showed me that the issue was "taking my opinion too far". He, also, showed me how to define that.
Taking an opinion too far is holding that opinion even when that means that you have to downplay the Word of God by
  • changing the definitions of the words that show up in the original languages, or
  • totally ignoring words that show up in the original languages, or
  • adding your own words to the original languages.
For instance, when you read
quote:
Ga 3:29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham‘s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
do you apply a different definition to the term, Abraham's seed, than when you read
quote:
Joh 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham‘s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

Joh 8:37 I know that ye are Abraham‘s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

If you change definitions then you have taken your opinion too far.
I try to be on guard for that. The other day, someone on this forum pointed out how I had been guilty of it. I repented, confessed to that repentance on this forum, and understood the Word of God better.
God is good. He is not the author of confusion.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...Indeed, Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CWO4GUNNER
Advanced Member
Member # 6971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CWO4GUNNER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword"

Although we know that Jerusalem is the apple of Gods eye we don't know the details and timing of his plans anymore then we know the day of his coming. Although we know both Christ return and the new Jerusalem will be established by God, the path that must be taken for these things to be fulfilled are in the Fathers hands. Not discounting individual prayer requests, our prayers should be based on Jesus instructions "Your kingdom come, your will be done On earth as it is in heaven"

Posts: 54 | From: Bullhead City, AZ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 19 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I concur. I see our dear scythe taking his opinion too far here. The question is, "Should we pray for peace in Jerusalem?"

The answer is yes. Jesus Christ himself stated,
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." [Matt. 5:9]

Scythe apparently sees the Jews as our enemies. Even if this is correct Christ further states in verse 44-45...

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and PRAY for them which despitefully use you and persecute you. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven..."

We do not have to embrace the Jewish belief. We do not have to accept them as "saved." But we should pray for their salvation which will bring peace beyond all understanding.

If we don't pray for peace in this world of evil and misery, what hope is there?

To think that we should pray for Muslims, even extremists, and not pray for the people of Jerusalem is nonsensical.

Chewy

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why pray for the peace in Jerusalem?

We pray for peace in Jerusalem because the Scriptures tell us to in Psalm 122:6. Also, the Great Commission proclaims that we would be a witness unto Him in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria. Praying for peace and protection for those who are experiencing the same type of terror that was experienced in America on September 11, 2001 is a way to be a witness.

JERUSALEM OF GOD'

Jerusalem is The city of GOD,
Where His Holy feet have trod,
Someday soon, we will be there,
And as He promised, in His care.

The GOD of Jacob made His choice,
Where His people would hear His voice,
His Beloved Son, Yeshua cried,
Although heartbroken when He sighed.

On the cross in Jerusalem City,
Indeed, He was a sight of pity,
But when, He arose from the dead,
He conquered all, as He said.

He's coming back as a Lion,
To rule and reign from Zion,
As eternity, He ushers in,
In New Jerusalem, Yeshua our King.

http://www.shalom-peace.com/Praypeace.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

quote:
Gal 4:21 ¶ Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

According to this, we are to cast out the bondwoman and her son. The bondwoman is the Old Covenant and the city of it's administration- the Jerusalem present on earth. Her son is the children of the Old Covenant.
Our mother, the New Covenant and the city in which the New Covenant is administrated is the heavenly Jerusalem.
quote:
Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

quote:
Ga 3:29 And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham‘s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

According to this, if we are Christ's then we are Abraham's seed (Hebrews)and heirs according to the promise. In other words, the land that was given to Abraham is our inheritance, as well.
Check this out.

quote:
Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Here we are told we were taken from a wild olive tree and grafted into a good olive tree from which the natural branches were removed. Did you know that Paul took that from prophecy?
quote:
Jer 11:9 And the LORD said unto me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah, and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
10 They are turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers, which refused to hear my words; and they went after other gods to serve them: the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their fathers.
11 ¶ Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.
12 Then shall the cities of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem go, and cry unto the gods unto whom they offer incense: but they shall not save them at all in the time of their trouble.
13 For according to the number of thy cities were thy gods, O Judah; and according to the number of the streets of Jerusalem have ye set up altars to that shameful thing, even altars to burn incense unto Baal.
14 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up a cry or prayer for them: for I will not hear them in the time that they cry unto me for their trouble.
15 What hath my beloved to do in mine house, seeing she hath wrought lewdness with many, and the holy flesh is passed from thee? when thou doest evil, then thou rejoicest.
16 The LORD called thy name, A green olive tree, fair, and of goodly fruit: with the noise of a great tumult he hath kindled fire upon it, and the branches of it are broken.
17 For the LORD of hosts, that planted thee, hath pronounced evil against thee, for the evil of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah, which they have done against themselves to provoke me to anger in offering incense unto Baal.

By the time of this prophecy, the Lord has already let Jeremiah know that the house of Judah and the house of Israel were sisters, one of which He had divorced. Within a few years, Ezekiel will prophesy that Samaria, the chief city of Israel, was sister to Jerusalem, the chief city of Judah, both of which had been married to God.
In other words, the prophecy is that the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the men of Judah by name, are the branches broken off of the green olive tree. Branches from the wild olive tree would be branches from a tree that is sister to the good olive tree.
So, according to this prophecy, don't pray for the people who were broken off (the men of Judah).
Go ahead and pray for Jerusalem- the Jerusalem that comes down out of heaven.
quote:
Rev 21:9 ¶ And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.
10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

Eden
unregistered

Should bornagain Christians still pray for the peace of Jerusalem?

Psalm 122:6
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper who love you.

Are Christians still supposed to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, and if so, what was the last time you prayed for the peace of Jerusalem?

And why are we praying for the peace of OLD or CURRENT Jerusalem?

Is the "peace of Jerusalem" the time when the Lord Jesus, who is the Prince of Ezekiel 40-48, is present in the city of Jerusalem, is that one reason why bornagain Christians could still pray for the "peace of Jerusalem"?

Is Jesus's presence meant by the "peace of Jerusalem", or...not?

love, eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement