Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Jesus sums up the salvation message in Acts 26:18

Author Topic: Jesus sums up the salvation message in Acts 26:18
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
It seems to me that we have some very similar views on repentance, but just that we word it differently.....thats all.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi becauseHElives,
I didnt know that Ken Wimer was the one who stated that repentance and faith are synonymous terms. I disagree with that. In fact I believe that is one of the greatest misconceptions of truth out in the world today. Though I agree that repentance and faith are close relatives like faith, hope, and love, I do not believe they mean the same exact thing. There are many people out there who say "I believe", but they have not truely repented. Do you know how I know this?.....I was one of them. I had a passive attitude towards sin and God's will was not my concern. I thank God for His love and patience and for sending a man my way that took His word to heart.

I hear a cry out there that the gospel message has been watered down, and I have to say that I do agree. In the book of Revelation, Jesus' resounding message to the churches (yes, the body of believers) was to "repent". Who would of said anything if Jesus did'nt intercede? Could Jesus have just said "believe!" or I will come unto thee and remove thy candlestick?" No, it would not have meant the same thing. This is the point I am trying to make. If we were to take the word "repent" out of scripture and plug in the word "believe" instead it would not have the same meaning.

So, once again I do agree that repentance and faith are two essential requirements of a salvation experience, but I do not agree that they are the same exact things in and of themselves.

Do we have any example in scripture where there was repentance without faith?......yes, we do........Acts 18:25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
The baptism of Jesus did not eliminate the need for the baptism of John.....the baptism of John was to prepare the heart(by its message of repentance) for the baptism of Jesus. "Unless a man is born of water and of the spirit."

I hope that you have understood me and that I have been clear on my position regarding repentance and faith. I know what Ken Wimer believes, but I'm not quite sure of your stance on this issue becauseHElives.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, oneinchrist, I think that we sinnes primarily repent from having our soul of man operating our body, without input from the spirit of man.

Of course, after Adam and Eve sinned and began to operate their bodies from their soul, no one operated their body from the spirit of man level because Jesus had not died yet and made the way open again for the Spirit of God to quicken our spirit of man and to receive input from God again.

But after Jesus died for our sins, then the way was made open again and THEN the souls of the earth DID have to REPENT from operating their bodies from the soul level only.

So in my view, the MAIN repentance is repenting of running our own lives from the soul level. Basically, after hearing the Word of God, the soul sees that this is wrong to do and is not in the right order of God and the soul REPENTS of doing this and now the soul looks again to his spirit of man and restores the right order of God.

That to me is the MAIN repentance.

And then secondarily, the soul repents on an ongoing basis about their daily sins and confesses them.

eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Fruits Meet For Repentance”

“Fruits meet for repentance:” Matthew 3:8

The command of Scripture to sinners is to repent, Luke 13:3. The word means to have a change of heart, mind, will, and affection toward God, which in turn causes one to acknowledge their sinful unworthiness before Him and to submit to the Lord Jesus Christ alone as their only ground of forgiveness and justification before God. Repentance and faith are synonymous terms, one being used for the other. Where there is repentance toward God, there is faith toward the Lord Jesus, (Acts 20:21).

Fruits meet for repentance are not preconditions but rather effects (offspring) of a changed mind, which God graciously grants to sinners for whom Christ died. He did not come to call the ‘righteous’ (self-justifying ones), but helpless, hopeless, lost, needy sinners to repentance, Matthew 9:13. Where there is repentance, whole hearted conversion to Christ and His righteousness is the result.

Find me a needy sinner whom God has made so, and I will show you one who has turned from every idolatrous work, self-righteousness, rebellious will of his own, to serve the living and true God, and is waiting expectantly for the Lord Jesus, who loved and redeemed him from the wrath to come, 1 Thessalonians 1:9.

Any sinner who repents, it is because God has granted him His Spirit, resulting from the work that Christ accomplished for them in His obedience unto death, 2 Timothy 2:25.

True repentance brings forth the fruits of faith, hope, love, and glad submission to Christ as God’s righteousness imputed to the account of His people in His death, Romans 3:24, 5:9, 10:3-4.

By Ken Wimer

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi BecauseHElives,
I just wanted to clarify something that you stated in your post......

"Repentance and faith are synonymouse terms".....do you mean to say that they work in conjunction with each other? because that I would agree with....but if you mean to say that they mean the same thing...for ex: repentance = turning from belief to unbelief then I may disagree. In my post on repentance I have listed what I have found to be the most common definitions of repentance....and I agree with them all. My thought is that you were referring to the inability to separate the two functions from a salvation experience.
I certainly do not believe that both repentance and faith would be preached in scripture if they didnt each have their own unique characteristics in and of themselves.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oneinchrist that a good topic for discussion,

[thumbsup2]

Many people want to present salvation with no evidence of change of conduct.

Yeshua declares over and over a tree is known by its fruit!

Matthew 3:8 "Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance

"For by GRACE you have been saved through FAITH; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not as result of WORKS, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for GOOD WORKS, which God PREPARED BEFOREHAND so that we would WALK IN THEM." (Ephesians 2:8-10}

Repentance and faith are synonymous terms, one being used for the other. Where there is repentance toward God, there is faith toward the Lord Jesus, (Acts 20:21).

Justification without Sanctification is unknown in scripture.

Both justification and sanctification are works of the Holy Spirit, but sanctification is subject to the believers willing participation in the process.

The Holy Spirit does not force a person to pray, study the scriptures, or deny ungodly lust.

These are choices consciously made day by day by the believer

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

From this verse it is clear that repentance comes before forgiveness of sins, and faith that is in Jesus comes before sanctification.

So, based on these truths I believe it safe to reason that we should be firstly concerned about repentance before being concerned about having the "righteousness of Christ" applied to our account, and this being for the simple fact that unless we genuinely repent, we will not receive forgiveness of sin period.

and the same thing goes for faith......we should be firstly concerned about having a genuine faith that is in Jesus before being concerned about being sanctified and receiving the faith of Jesus.

We can be certain that if we dont do works meet for repentance, that we have not sincerely repented, and that if we never act on our profession of faith in Jesus, that we have an empty profession. This is just simple truth....not promoting "works" salvation.

I speak not as a judge, but as one concerned for others true conversion experience.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement