Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is anyone still running like Elijah ran?

Author Topic: Is anyone still running like Elijah ran?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Elijah "run by the Spirit" or was Elijah really able to run that fast from Mount Carmel to Jezreel?

1 Kings 18:45
And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode and went to Jezreel.

1 Kings 18:46
And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

Those legs must have been really moving so that Elijah was able to outrun Ahab's chariot.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forever His [thumbsup2]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forever His
Advanced Member
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forever His     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have missed this site and to be honest... I have seen a lot of love between the members here... far above average!

To me the real miracle was that Elijah was willing to guide Ahab [ his bitter enemy] back home at all. How many of us would do that for someone who was trying to kill us? [cool_shades]

to me that is a miracle of God's grace... and yes , just like it was for David as well. He showed that he was "indeed" a man after God's own heart.

For most of us we would rather "avoid" and "pretend" that we didn't see and pass by on the other side of the road... yet in scripture I find that God actively persues that which offends Him... and He does it with love and grace as He did with Adam and Eve after they rebelled and sinned. He persues the very things that makes us turn away. He is not willing that any should perish but that all would come to repentance.

To me the whole issue is all about how God's charachter has been revealed in scripture and how He has shown an amazing grace to everyone... even His enemies ! God has not told us to love "just" our friends ... but our "enemies" [Kiss] as we read in Luke 6: 27-35

And yet He has told us not just to LOVE our enemies... but to do good, to lend... hoping for nothing in return ! Now we could draw some wrong conclusions about this if we didn't have a good understanding about God gathered from the rest of scripture. God evidently has a purpose in loving His enemies.

One of the clearest scriptures that help us understand this is Rom. 12:21 which tells us... Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Our natural human nature is such that we allow our negative feelings to overwhelm us so that we are then paralized to do good and treat our enemies as if they were our friends. Yet we read that love hopes all things... believes all things ... endures all things... love never fails. I have a desperate need of this kind of love for we read that a disciple is not above his teacher, but that EVERYONE who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.

I find it interesting that Jesus put that verse right at the "center" [ or heart] of His discertation on loving your enemies as we read in Luke 6:27 and on.

I believe that when we are willing to do this... that all of heaven is at our disposal and that we will see miracles like we have never seen before.
1 For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.

God Bless you

Forever His

Posts: 719 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Forever His wrote,
quote:
Was the miracle the speed which Elijah ran? Or was the real miracle the purpose for which he ran?
Good question, Forever His, with your wife Melissa's permission, you should dedicate more of ur life to God bbs because of your fine understanding...'

In any case, Forever His, wrote:
quote:
The day was far spent and night was aproaching... and the darkness and rain would certainly prevent Ahab from returning home... and yet we read that Elijah showed compassion and mercy toward his bitterest enemy?

The very one who had tried to track him down and kill him for the last 3 1/2 years?

Would that the "spirit of Elijah" were alive today... Would that our churches were full of people who "truly loved their enemies" ... now that's a "real" miracle!

One that I am sure that God is looking down from the edge of His seat waiting to perform again... what would our churches... what would this site be like if we all had that spirit ? I don't know about anyone else... but I want and need more of Him and less of self.

In addition to Elijah, David also had that spirit, of "not killing the LORD's anointed". I think you are so right that we need to love those whom God LOVES!!!

And this is also what Jesus said thru the Holy Spiir to His disciple John:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 John 4:11
Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

So Forever His, Elijah loved "who?" Ahab? Forever His wrote,
quote:
Was the miracle the speed which Elijah ran? Or was the real miracle the purpose for which he ran?
Please tell the church and the e-pew listeners "how the real miracle was the real purpose for which he ran"?

thank you, Forever His, are u now married to Melissa?

love, Eden of Chilmda who never made it to the garden of Eden, except thru the blood of Jesus...

Hey God Bless you Eden...

The same to you, Forever His and Melissa and adopted sons...

Forever His
Advanced Member
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forever His     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the miracle the speed which Elijah ran?
or was the real miracle the purpose for which he ran ?

The day was far spent and night was aproaching... and the darkness and rain would certainly prevent Ahab from returning home... and yet we read that Elijah showed compassion and mercy toward his bitterest enemy ? The very one who had tried to track him down and kill him for the last 3 1/2 years.

Would that the "spirit of Elijah" were alive today... Would that our churches were full of people who truly "loved their enemies" ... now there's a "real" miracle ! One that I am sure that God is looking down from the edge of His seat waiting to perform again... what would our churches... what would this site be like if we all had that spirit ? I don't know about anyone else... but I want and need more of Him and less of self.

Hey God Bless you Eden...

Forever His

Posts: 719 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let your fingers do the walkin
------------------------------------------------
Be fishers of men. You catch em, He will clean them.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, should we run or walk?
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey All, let's walk over there....
Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last post I posted, I meant to go in "walk of the calling" thread so it made absolutly no sense where it is now [pound]

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

.................WANTED...............

PEOPLE TO RUN FOR GOD AS DESCRIBED IN DEUT 13:6-9
, 17:2-7 AND 1 KINGS 18:45-46. OBEDIENCE TO GOD

Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel 4

10) Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great.

11) The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth:

12) The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.

There we have it [spiny] , any others come to mind?

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Did someone hold a gun to your head or have you been practising?

stop your sillyness

Eden
LOL

It is well

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Did someone hold a gun to your head or have you been practising?

stop your sillyness

Eden
LOL

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Is anybody still running like Elijah ran?

1 Kings 18 (KJV)

45 And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode {his royal chariot}, and went to Jezreel.

46 And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah and he girded up his loins and he ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

love, Eden
"allright, LORD, You can do it!"

Eden
unregistered

hi, Barrykind. You said: "Odd question..."

I've recently started to jog/walk again and I had one particularly good stretch of run which made me think what Elijah's running was like.

The scripture does say that "the hand of the LORD was upon Elijah", so that presumably means something similar to what happens to Philip after Philip baptized the eunuch and then Philip was "seen no more and was found in Azotus".

Now, what happened to Philip was not running, that was flying through the air. But what happend to Elijah was, as far as I can tell, running, and running as fast or faster than King Ahab's royal chariot, which is extremely fast, and presumably not possible without a miracle.

But what a miracle it would be if I could run one day like Elijah in my hometown, and "run like Elijah ran" for a witness to God's power.

To repeat what you said, Barrykind: "Odd question..." Got it?

eden

Eden
unregistered

hi, Barrykind. You said: "Odd question..."

I've recently started to jog/walk again and I had one particularly good stretch of run which made me think what Elijah's running was like.

The scripture does say that "the hand of the LORD was upon Elijah", so that presumably means something similar to what happens to Philip after Philip baptized the eunuch and then Philip was "seen no more and was found in Azotus".

Now, what happened to Philip was not running, that was flying through the air. But what happend to Elijah was, as far as I can tell, running, and running as fast or faster than King Ahab's royal chariot, which is extremely fast, and presumably not possible without a miracle.

But what a miracle it would be if I could run one day like Elijah in my hometown, and "run like Elijah ran" for a witness to God's power.

eden

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd question...But i would not mind...but my old legs would not hold up unless the Lord touched them.

[Smile]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Phillip not faster without running:

Acts 8:
39: And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
40: But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwistina
Advanced Member
Member # 6618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kwistina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physically, it would make things so much more convenient!! But I cannot force "the hand of the Lord"! So it will not happen. Besides, my motivation for speediness is not for spiritual reasons, it for selfish purposes. In some cases, such as this one, a particular spiritual assistance is made to assist a spiritual goal (catching up with Ahab, in this context).

But I think you were just asking if it would be cool to be that fast. Oh yeah! The manifested "Flash!"

Posts: 38 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Is anyone still running like Elijah ran?

1 Kings 18:45-46 (KJV)

45 And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode {his royal chariot}, and went to Jezreel.

46 And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah and he girded up his loins and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel.

I know from experience that many Christians want to "be like Jesus" but is anyone still running like Elijah ran?

eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement