Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » RETARDED GROWTH

Author Topic: RETARDED GROWTH
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, WildB. The Cornelius Stam article said: "What joy and fellowship there is in gatherings where the newly-saved are present!"

Yes, that is true. But also "What joy and fellowship there is in gatherings where there are many mature Christians there who know the Written Word and have been listening to the Holy Spirit for a long time! They are mature brothers and sisters in the family of God.

with love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WildB...I'm hoping you will enjoy this.

SERMON OUTLINES FOR
GROWING CHRISTIANS

By
STEPHEN M. HOOKS

Maturing in Christ

SPIRITUAL NEVER-NEVER LAND

Hebrews 5:11-6:3

Introduction
Peter Pan is J. M Barrie’s classic tale of a boy who refuses to become a man. In similar fashion some Christians refuse to grow up in Christ.

According to our text spiritual maturation requires a progression:

I. From Learning to Living

You are slow to learn … being still an infant … not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness (Hebrews 5:11, 13).

A. Some Christians suffer from a learning disability. This was the case for the Hebrew Christians.

1. The problem was not an intellectual one; it was spiritual.
2. Their ignorance was willful, evidencing itself in a conscious refusal to learn.
3. This resulted in an arrested spiritual development. They were still in grade school when, by now, they “ought to be teachers.”

B. Spiritual ignorance, willful or otherwise, is always treated as a serious problem in Scripture.

1. The prophet Hosea warns that “a people without understanding will come to ruin” (Hosea 4:14).
2. On numerous occasions Paul prefaced his teachings to the churches by declaring that he did not want them to be ignorant (Romans 1:13; 1 Corinthians 10:1).

C. True spirituality is a “subject” which cannot be learned in a classroom.

1. It must be learned experientially by living in right relationship with God.
2. Using the model of an athlete who systematically trains to compete, he suggests that righteousness is acquired through regular practice (5:14).

II. From Lingering to Leaving

Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity (Hebrews 6:1).

A. Some Christians prefer the security of perpetual preparation for service to the challenges of actually living for Christ in a sometimes hostile world.

1. Instead of building upon the foundations of their faith, they continue to lay those foundation again and again.
2. Instead of seeking new experiences in Christian living, they are content to repeat the old ones.

B. A religion is a good place to hide from God.

1. Affirming doctrine is much easier than living in devotion.
2. Performing liturgy is much easier than practicing piety.

C. There is no “status quo” in righteousness.

1. To stand still is to begin to slip backwards.
2. As the author goes on to warn (6:4-12) arrested spiritual development may ultimately lead to apostasy.

Conclusion

Peter Pan is a charming plot for a play, but it is a crippling plot for a life. Those who follow this path never reach their spiritual potential. The gospel calls us to grow in Christ continually.

Illustration

As a college teacher I once enrolled a student in a class only later to learn that he had just completed a similar course at another college. When I asked him why he was willing to invest time and energy in a class he had already taken, he replied, “Because I know I can do well in it. I won’t have to study in order to pass.” Five years later, this same student was still taking classes even though he had enough credits to graduate. Preferring the inherent security of his educational “nest” to the unpredictable and imposing “real world,” he was intentionally prolonging the preparation phase of his life at the expense of the productive phase. Some Christians do much the same in the church.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

What joy and fellowship there is in gatherings where the newly-saved are present! In the spiritual realm, as well as in the physical, everyone loves a baby! But the joy that fills the hearts of loving parents is turned to bitter sorrow and disappointment if their babe fails to grow. The latter condition is as unspeakably sad and embarrassing as the former is joyous. Just so it is in the realm of the spirit. The "carnal" Christian has failed to grow. He continues in a state of protracted infancy. He must be kept exclusively on a milk diet because, though saved for years, he is still unable to "bear," or digest, solid food, still "unskillful in the Word" and needing to be taught the elementary things.

Retarded spiritual growth is evidenced in many ways, all of which come under the heading of carnality or fleshliness. The Corinthians, so sternly rebuked for their carnality by the Apostle Paul, are said to have been careless about morals (I Cor. 5:1), puffed up (I Cor. 4:18; 5:2), inconsiderate of each other (I Cor. 6:1-7; 8:1,9,12), stingy (II Cor. 8:6-11; 11:7-9). While possessing the Spirit, they walked after the flesh.

One of the most marked indications of retarded spiritual growth is self-interest and party strife, as seen in the case of the Corinthian believers. They were spiritually small and petty, so that the Apostle had to write to them:

"For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
"For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?"
(I Cor. 3:3,4)

Thus Peter’s exhortation to "newborn babes" to "desire the pure milk of the Word" that they may "grow thereby," is prefaced by the words: "Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings" (I Pet 2:1). The carnal nature is not appropriate soil for spiritual growth.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement