Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » is divine healing for now

Author Topic: is divine healing for now
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some say miracles do not happen in these times, but the bible describes such as holding a form of religion, but denying the power thereof. Miraculous works are by no means a test of truth -as there will increasingly be many who perform lying signs and wonders -the wonders will truly happen, but point people to the false. Nonetheless, Christ was quite plain about the fact that miracles would increasingly be performed...
Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
....He gave no time limit, but please note the reference to keeping HIS COMMANDMENTS (the ten summed up in two -love God and neighbor -but even these only satisfy the law). Many keep commandments of men...such will hardly wield miraculous power from God.
Mar 11:22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
Mar 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Mar 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have aught against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. Mar 11:26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
Not only can these things be done, but YOU CAN DO THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -under the right circumstances (Technically, it is always God who actually does the miracle, so that should take some pressure off) -our heroes in faith, so to speak -are such because they HAD FAITH. If you do not believe, it is impossible -but DO BEWARE -Seek first his RIGHTEOUSNESS -and ask that he grant you power when it is necessary to further HIS WORK. The end result of the miracles God allows men to do is eternal life -faith from faith, faith to faith -even the more 'harsh' miraculous occurances work good.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
Looking thru old posts, i found this by Raj, most elequently written.

quote:
The inner side of a stone is still dry even after soaking it for many years in water. Why? The hardness is the only reason. An artist looks at a wooden piece as an aesthetic art. But the same wooden peace is seen as firewood in the sight of a woman who went to the forest to collect firewood. Jesus was useless for the people, who looked at Jesus like a carpenter. Those who found Jesus as the Son of God, received miracles.

Not Biblical

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking thru old posts, i found this by Raj, most elequently written.

quote:
The inner side of a stone is still dry even after soaking it for many years in water. Why? The hardness is the only reason. An artist looks at a wooden piece as an aesthetic art. But the same wooden peace is seen as firewood in the sight of a woman who went to the forest to collect firewood. Jesus was useless for the people, who looked at Jesus like a carpenter. Those who found Jesus as the Son of God, received miracles.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Paul said that when he was weak, he was strong. God's strength is made perfect in weakness. So the difficult things are areas waiting for God to fill, as faith believes Him, to see Him. This includes all kinds of frailness, sickness, inability.

Often times there is healing so that He can confirm His love to you. Sometimes that love is looking to be recognized in other ways, that edify you in Him, i.e. illustrate your dependence upon Him, which is a good thing. You don't want to be strong, and able not to depend on Him. It is part of the way that you run the race so that you can claim the prize of the High Calling; the salvation of your soul.

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, freeinchrist.

Because we live on earth as descendants of the sinning Adam and Eve, our lives have also become sinful and the Spirit of God has not been able to enliven and quicken our bodies for all these Adamic centuries, until Jesus Christ came.

After Jesus Christ came, those who believed in Him as the Son of God, etc., were quickened again by the Holy Spirit so that the spirit of man has access to the glory of the Holy Spirit again, within man's spirit.

But though the Adam and Eve man is now saved if he believes in Jesus, he still has lots of old habits of how to run his life, and Jesus also makes it clear that this ol' wineskin (our bodies) cannot hold that much Spirit yet because it would burst like an old wineskin.

So we have to wait for our glorified bodies, which is the same kind of body that Jesus had, a sinles body, made of pure Holy Spirit, untainted by sin and all fully aligned with the Father.

To summarize, freeinchrist, we must suffer some sickness because our natural bodies could not hold that much Holy Spirit and because our natural bodies are inclined to sin from historical habit, and so sickness and death will be with us until we receive our glorified bodies.

But like the house built on the rock and not like the house built on the shifting sand, when the storm comes, the house built on the rock will still be able to stand. We HAVE been strengthened, even in this current natural body, through Christ.

with love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all are healed.

2 Corinthians 12

[7] ...... there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

[8] For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
[9] And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

[10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sickness and disease is just part of the fall, just like getting old.

A lot of sickness and disease the child of Yahweh brings upon themselves because they think they can over eat, drink, and eat and drink things that are just plain unhealthy for the human body.

Healing in part of Yeshua’s atonement for His children.

Hosea 4:6
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

"Is Divine Healing Part of the Atonement?" (February 1928), No. 6
In that wonderful 53rd chapter of Isaiah, prophetic of the sacrifice of Christ, the prophet begins by asking the question: "Who hath believed our report, and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?" Here we have a truth of a wonderful thing that happened nearly 2000 years ago, when it is reported or made known to any one in need for soul or body it will make them perfectly whole, if they meet the conditions laid down in the Word.

Now then, what is the report? Let me try, through the word of God, to establish you hearts in the fact that we are serving an unchangeable God. Not, as some people look upon Him, as the great I WAS, but great I AM. Did Jesus include Healing for the physical body in His Great Sacrifice on the Cross? We say, through His Word, Yes, as real as Salvation for the soul. As Isaiah was given the vision of the sacrifice of Christ he exclaims:-"Surely He hath borne our sickness, and carried our sorrows," then in the following verse he combines salvation for the soul, and healing for the body: "He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed." Praise God our sickness was laid on Him as well as our sins.

Then we have Peter linking salvation and healing together. "Who His own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree." 1 Peter 2:24. The reader may say this refers to spiritual disease. Now then, we find Jesus in His ministry going into Peter's house, whose wife's mother is sick. When the evening was come they brought unto Him many that were possessed with devils, and He cast out the spirits with His word, and healed all that were sick. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esais the prophet:--"Himself took our infirmities and bare our sicknesses" Sickness then came to us through the fall of our father Adam. In the image of God we were created.
Praise God, there is no sickness in heaven! Therefore we must admit we are a fallen and undone race, not only in our souls but our physical bodies. Our remedy was complete at Calvary. In HIs sacrifice Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil. On the Cross He not only bore our sin, but the dire result of sin, sickness.

When on earth His ministry was forgiving sin and healing the sick. The two were not divided but went hand in hand. Should they not be the same today?

What then, someone asks, has happened with the Christian Church? It is answered by the prophet Isaiah, chapter 59, verse 2. "But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear."

When the multitudes pressed upon Him in the days of long ago, He had compassion; His heart yearned; none were too weak or too far in the dark but His all-seeing eye reached, Can you claim His love has waned since then. Praise God, the things He loved to do then, He still loves to do to-day. Only one thing hindered the working of His power when He walked this old world. That thing was unbelief. Faith is the key to that power. Unbelief is the key that shuts out. Oh blessed light that shines in the darkness even though the darkness comprehended it not.

Suffering one, see Jesus only, the Blessed Burden Bearer, carrying our sins, bearing our sicknesses, enduring our pain. Oh that the world might see Thee.

"Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts," saith He, "for whether is easier to say, thy sins be forgiven thee, or take up thy bed and walk." In the Divine plan salvation and healing should never be divided. Has the Roman whipping post no message for you. Were His stripes only a form he had to endure? Ah no. Come with me. The hour is approaching for His death. Emerging from Gethsemane's garden, condemned by Pilate before they led Him up to Calvary's hill, His back is bared. Lash, lash, lash on the gentle back of the gentle one of Nazareth. Was He whipped that my sins might be taken away? Ah, no, His blood on the tree was sufficient for that. It was here He bore our suffering and "by His stripes we are healed." But someone asks:-"Has not that been done away with?" Sorry to say it has by backslidden man, but the plan remains. "I am the Lord, I change not."

Listen to the words of Jesus: "The works that I do shall ye do also, and greater works shall ye do because I go unto my Father." "All power," says He, "is given to me in heaven and in earth. Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Holy Ghost, teaching them to observe all things, and lo I am with you, even unto the end of the world." Matt. 28, 18-20. As ye go preach the gospel. Not politics, or social reform; but cleanse the leper, heal the sick, etc. Lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. Mark 16: 17-19.
Some may say we have no right to call on God to remove our sickness, because He sent it. If the sufferer believes God sends sickness, why go to hospitals and doctors, etc. and spend thousands of dollars to get healed. If anyone thinks that, why not say, "Amen, Lord, I will suffer it because I am in your will, and what you will is best." No, the Word points out that sickness came into this world through the devil, but praise God, Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil. Jesus is the same unchangeable one. In the fifth chapter of James we are given instructions to anoint the sick with oil, and the prayer of faith will save the sick. This does not mean we shall never die, because there comes a time when we go home, without suffering and groaning all our lives with a disease it is possible to be healed by looking to Jesus.
In conclusion, remember that:

1st.--Divine healing was not only for the Apostolic age, because you cannot find in the Word one passage to confirm that it has been withdrawn. Man has fallen from faith with the spirit of this age of delusion, nevertheless when the Son of Man cometh will He find faith on the earth?

2nd.--Divine Healing was not for those who were serving the God of this world. "Sin no more lest a worse thing come upon thee." John 5:14.

3rd.--Some believe their diseases incurable. "Who healeth ALL thy diseases.

4th.--Should we help the Lord a little? "Believe ye that I AM ABLE to do this? Yea, Lord, then touched He their eyes saying, "According to your faith be it unto you." They did believe because their eyes were opened.

Jesus is our ransom, and He has redeemed the mortgage that was registered upon us by the curse. Gen. 2:17. "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." The atonement then meets our every need. "Where sin did abound grace doth much more abound.

As we are partakers of flesh and blood, He also took part of the same, that through death--which was physical--He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is the devil, and deliver. Heb. 2:14.

Since then the penalty was physical death, that is why Jesus had to die that kind of death, to taste if for me. With whom was He grieved forty years? Was it not with those whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? Heb. 3:17.

The children of Israel were bitten with serpents, and to save them from a physical death the brazen serpent was erected. "Even so must the Son of Man be lifted up." Some people look at their diseases, but through the atonement we can look and live. If you continue to look at your wounds you will die. "I will ransom them from the power of the grave: I will redeem thee from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from my eyes." Hos. 13:14.
Divine Healing then is ours through the atonement and by His stripes many today are being healed.

Matthew 9:29
Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

According to YOUR FAITH be it done unto you!

One of the biggest barriers to receiving healing from God is the wrong idea that your healing is up to God. That is no different from saying that your salvation from hell is up to God. In both cases, God has made a provision for you through Christ's atonement, and in both cases it is up to you to believe this and receive what Jesus died to give you.

Suppose that you thought your salvation were up to God. "If God wants me to be saved, he will save me; if not, it must be his good pleasure that I remain unsaved." This is no less absurd than saying, "If God wants me to be healed, he will heal me; if not, it must be his good pleasure that I remain sick." God's will for you concerning both your salvation and your healing are clear from his Word. He wants you to have both, and you receive them both the same way -- through your faith.

Many who are prayed for think that the preacher's faith is supposed to get them healed. This is not what Jesus taught. He never said, "My faith has made you whole." In many cases, he told the healed person, "Your faith has made you whole." It was up to the person receiving the healing.

Take the case of the woman with the issue of blood. Jesus was not conducting any kind of healing service when she touched him. He was on his way to take care of another healing matter at the time. He had no idea that this woman was coming to him for healing. He had to ask who had touched him! The disciples were amazed because everyone was bumping against him, but Jesus wanted to know who had touched him in faith. He felt power go out of him and knew that someone had touched him in faith, but he did not know who it was.

Therefore, this healing could not have had anything to do with Jesus or his faith. This healing was brought about solely by the woman's faith. Jesus told her that her faith had healed her.

Where did she get this faith? The same way you do -- by hearing the gospel. The woman went and got her healing "when she had heard of Jesus." Someone must have told her the good news.

You will find the following statements in the New Testament (the Scripture references in context are below):

"As thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee."
"And Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy..."

"Thy faith hath made thee whole." (This phrase appears 5 times!)

"According to your faith be it unto you."
"Great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt."

"And perceiving that he had faith to be healed, said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet."

For your clicking-and-reading enjoyment, here are the passages of Scripture where Jesus (or in one case, Luke) said that the person's faith (or a household member's faith) was responsible for the healing:

The centurion's son -- Matthew 8:5-13
The paralytic -- Matthew 9:2-8, Luke 5:17-26
The woman with the issue of blood -- Matthew 9:20-22, Mark 5:25-34, Luke 8:43-48
Two blind men -- Matthew 9:27-30
The Canaanite woman -- Matthew 15:22-28

Blind Bartimaeus -- Mark 10:46-52, Luke 18:35-43
A leper -- Luke 17:12-19
The lame man at Lystra -- Acts 14:7-10

Now let's look at what happened in a place where the people did not have faith:

Matthew 13:54-58

Mark 6:1-6

The Bible does not say that Jesus refused to do many mighty works. It says that Jesus could not do them at Nazareth, and that he marvelled at their unbelief. Consider this: Jesus himself, the best preacher ever to walk the earth, could not get many people in the congregation healed because of their unbelief. Here we see the opposite side of the cases where people's faith got them healed.

How unfair for unbelieving congregations today to point the finger at the preacher when no signs and wonders occur. Yes, the preacher must believe also, but even if he does, not much will happen in a congregation with a hostile and unbelieving attitude. If Jesus himself could not get results where there was such unbelief, no other preacher can, because the servant is not greater than his master.

It is not that God did not want to heal every disease at Nazareth. We know that he did from Psalm 103:1-5 and elsewhere. The same preacher (Jesus) was healing multitudes in other cities. Jesus did not change from one place to another. What the people received depended more upon their faith or their unbelief than it did on Jesus!

If that was true then, that is still true today. It is not all up to Jesus. It's not up to God who gets saved or healed; it's up to us. "Whosoever will" can receive salvation and healing.

Read the account of the man with the demon-possessed boy in these verses:

Matthew 17:14-21
Mark 9:17-29

Luke 9:38-42

Jesus attributed the disciples' failure to their lack of faith. He had already given them power and authority over all devils (
Luke 9:1-2), so power was not the issue. They had the power! The issue was not what Jesus could do, but what they could believe.

Then the man asked Jesus to do something "if you can do anything." Jesus again made it clear that the issue was not what Jesus could do, but what the man could believe. His answer was: "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."

We know that with God nothing shall be impossible (Luke 1:37), but it's not solely an issue of what God or Jesus can do. It's also an issue of what you can believe.

In Mark 11:24, Jesus made it clear that you can have whatsoever you desire if you believe that you receive it when you pray. It depends on your faith, not Jesus' faith.

This is not a popular teaching these days because many Christians are lazy and do not want to take responsibility for anything. It's so easy just to say that whatever happens is the will of God, and to let the will of Satan be done in your body while saying that it must be God. If it's solely up to God's will, you have no responsibility. Yet Jesus made it clear throughout his ministry that it is up to you, not him, to do something. God is not responsible for any man's failure to receive something that is available to all.

This is especially true now that healing has been permanently provided "by his stripes" (1 Peter 2:24). Jesus has done everything he needs to do about your healing. Whether you receive the healing he paid for in his atonement is completely up to you. God can heal you, and God wants to heal you. The only issue is, can you believe it?

You can be healed in God's mercy by the gifts of the Spirit operating through another believer. But the best way (and only sure way) to get healed and stay healed is to believe for yourself. Ultimately, it is according to your faith that it will be done unto you!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freeinchrist
Community Member
Member # 6867

Icon 16 posted      Profile for freeinchrist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, is sickness and diseases a part of a Christians life . so even tho Christ lives in you why must s and d be part of your life?
Posts: 18 | From: michigan,usa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement