Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » FAITH

Author Topic: FAITH
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mixing up the Bema with the great white throne.

Stop your sillyness.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith is receptive! Works are deceptive.

1Co 3:13 the work of each will be revealed; for the Day will make it known, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire will prove the work of each, what sort it is.

Rev 3:18 "I advise you to buy from Me gold having been fired by fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, and your shame and nakedness may not be revealed. And anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see."

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yes! We can accept Him as Savior yet be not conformed to Him"

please post your Bible to support your sillyness.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So what do you think afisherofman, can we accept Him as savior, but deny His lordship?

Yes! We can accept Him as Savior yet be not conformed to Him, and His will. We can try our hearts out and miss it completely, devastatingly.

[Cross]

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bible, King James Version

Heb.10

[38] Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

--------------------
That is all.....

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FAITH IS !

This implies action, today it is very unpopular to say that works of any kind are involved in the salvation of a believer. I challenge that thought, belief, and teaching.

True the blood of JESUS purchased us, paid our ransom, we were in the possession of Satan, the 1st Adam had placed us in Satan’s power by his disobedience to GOD’S instructions in the Garden of Eden

ROM 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

ACTS 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

JN 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
JN 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
JN 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
JN 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

These passages in John also imply action (A type of work)
“except you eat the flesh of THE SON OF MAN” 1COR 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
and
“except you drink HIS BLOOD; 1COR 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

“you have no faith in you”

JN 6:35 And Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me, shall never thirst.

We must eat this WORD, it is the BREAD OF HEAVEN, and The WORD represents HIS BODY, our SPIRITUAL MEAT.
We must also drink HIS BLOOD,

LEV 17:11 For the life of the flesh [is] in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it [is] the blood [that] maketh an atonement for the soul.

Just as the life of our natural flesh, gets its life from the blood, so in like manner does the WORD OF GOD, draw its LIFE from the SPIRIT.

JN 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

The SPIRIT quickeneth the WORD and brings LIFE (THE LIFE OF JESUS)

ROM 8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.

2COR 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the New Testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

This is the new creature, formed at our rebirth; this is that JESUS spoke to Nicodemus about being born again

JN 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

JN 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

JN 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away; and every branch that beareth fruit, he cleaneth it, that it my bring forth more fruit.
JN 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken to you.
JN 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine: no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Here we have faith with work, obedience to the word.

If you cut a branch off of a living tree, and lay it off to the side it will not be able to survive, much less bear fruit.

Abiding is like being hooked up to someone and receiving a badly needed transfusion. When you are in need of blood if you do not get it you will die.

JN 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
JN 15:6 If a man abideth not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered: and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
JN 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye may ask what ye will, and it shall be done to you.
JN 15:8 In this is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
JN 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
JN 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
JN 15:11 These things have I spoken to you, that my joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
JN 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
JN 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
JN 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatever I command you.
JN 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard from my Father, I have made known to you.
JN 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
JN 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.
JN 15:18 If the world hateth you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
JN 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love its own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
JN 15:20 Remember the word that I said to you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you: if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
JN 15:21 But all these things will they do to you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.
JN 15:22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin.
JN 15:23 He that hateth me, hateth my Father also.
JN 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which no other man hath done, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen, and hated both me and my Father.
JN 15:25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
JN 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he will testify concerning me.
JN 15:27 And ye also shall bear testimony, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Many times through this passage we see, the believer’s action in relationship to our relationship in the LORD.
Abiding is active choice, it is not work,
but it is none the less active. Faith without works (action) is dead.
Here again we see action, obedience, works.

MT 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
MT 11:30 For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

The only reason a yoke is placed on an animal, is if that animal is about to do some work.
Jesus tells us to take HIS YOKE upon us, HIS YOKE is the cross that we must bear, it is HIS DEATH, that brings us Life, and our dying daily to yourself that causes us to abide in HIM.

LK 9:23 And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

This is not the yoke of bondage spoken of in Galatians

GAL 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

The yoke of bondage is the ceremonial law, the outward law of dos and don’ts.

If we have been born of the SPIRIT OF GOD, we now have an inward law.

ROM 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

JER 31:33 But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

EZEK 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.

Too many today have received a false gospel, they still have a heart of stone. Preacher have told them that a simple prayer saves them, repeat after me type prayer, A John 3:16 prayer

I am not making little of “GOD so loved the world that HE gave HIS ONLY SON….
It’s just that there is a lot more to it than that.

JN 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
JN 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said to him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
JN 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Verily, verily, I say to thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
JN 3:4 Nicodemus saith to him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
JN 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say to thee, Except a man be born of water, and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
JN 3:6 That which is born of the flesh, is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit, is spirit.
JN 3:7 Marvel not that I said to thee, Ye must be born again.
JN 3:8 The wind bloweth where it will, and thou hearest the sound of it, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
JN 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said to him, How can these things be?
JN 3:10 Jesus answered and said to him, Art thou a teacher of Israel, and knowest not these things?
JN 3:11 Verily, verily, I say to thee, We speak what we know, and testify what we have seen; and ye receive not our testimony.
JN 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how will ye believe if I tell you heavenly things?
JN 3:13 And no man hath ascended to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man who is in heaven.
JN 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
JN 3:15 That whoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
JN 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believeth in him,

should not perish,

Right here most people miss it, when this verse is quoted it quoted like this
“For GOD so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only-begotten SON, that whoever believeth in HIM. Would not perish,” but have everlasting life.

There is a big difference in those 2 words, would and should
“Would” not implies that if they believe they will not perish.
“Should” states that the way has been made plain and easy, but if you do not give careful attention you lose out.

MT 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
MT 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
MT 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
MT 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
MT 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
MT 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
MT 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
MT 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
MT 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
MT 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
MT 7:29 For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes.

The wise and the foolish,

The wise man was obedient to the WORD, he did the commandments of JESUS, is house was built on the ROCK. There was action (works) with his faith. The wise man did it GOD’S WAY.

The foolish man was disobedient to the WORD; he did not the commandments of the LORD. The foolish man did it his own way. His work was not mixed with obedience to the commandments of GOD.

PROV 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

HEB 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard [it].

Obedience to the Spirit and the word is what allows us to enter GOD”S REST,

When we are in the yoke with the LORD, there is no toil, sweat, or burden, for it is HIM helping us every step we take, we are at rest, we have HIS PEACE.

JN 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him may be saved.
JN 3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
JN 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
JN 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Here again we have action being demonstrated in the following scriptures, faith with works

JN 3:21 But he that doeth truth, cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

He that doeth truth, obedience to the word (obedience to the commands of JESUS)
Some preach that we have nothing to do. GOD helps those that have lied to the people and those that have believed that lie.

MT 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
MT 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
MT 22:39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
MT 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The first commandment needs little explanation, but the second for some reason people have trouble understanding, to love your neighbor as yourself. In the book of Acts it says,

ACTS 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need.
ACTS 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
ACTS 4:37 Having land, sold [it], and brought the money, and laid [it] at the apostles' feet.

MT 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
MT 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:
MT 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
MT 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
MT 25:35 For I was a hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
MT 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
MT 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee a hungered, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
MT 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
MT 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
MT 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.
MT 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
MT 25:42 For I was a hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
MT 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
MT 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
MT 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
MT 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

This is keeping HIS COMMANDMENTS, this is the faith that James spoke of when he said FAITH WITHOUT WORKS is dead.

I should do nothing that causes someone else to stumble, For a person that calls himself a child of GOD to say it does not matter what I do, that it does not effect my salvation, that is so prideful, if this is your understanding, please repent.

Pride was cast out one time before from the presence of GOD, when Satan tried to take over in Heaven, and pride will not ever enter Heaven again.

What ever we do in this life, that now belongs to the one who purchased it(JESUS), must have in mind the effect it will have on those around us.

Because we can not say that the LOVE OF GOD now dwells in us, if we say that our brothers feeling matters, if our heart does not go out to those around us that are in need, what ever that need may be.

May I ask the women and young ladies to consider modesty? The way you cover your body shows your consideration for the men in the church and for the men that have not came to
the LORD yet. Some men are weak in the area of a female’s anatomy and the way you dress has an effect on them, causing them to think thoughts and even to take actions that are causing them to stumble and sin.

1TIM 2:9 In like manner also that the women in decent deportment and dress adorn themselves with modesty and discretion, not with plaited [hair] and gold, or pearls, or costly clothing,
1TIM 2:10 but, what becomes women making profession of the fear of God, by good works.

MT 18:1 In that hour the disciples came to Jesus saying, Who then is greatest in the kingdom of the heavens?
MT 18:2 And Jesus having called a little child to [him], set it in their midst,
MT 18:3 and said, Verily I say to you, Unless ye are converted and become as little children, ye will not at all enter into the kingdom of the heavens.
MT 18:4 Whoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, *he* is the greatest in the kingdom of the heavens;
MT 18:5 and whosoever shall receive one such little child in my name, receives me.
MT 18:6 But whosoever shall offend one of these little ones who believe in me, it were profitable for him that a great millstone had been hanged upon his neck and he be sunk in the depths of the sea.
MT 18:7 Woe to the world because of offences! For it must needs be that offences come; yet woe to that man by whom the offence comes!
MT 18:8 And if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut it off and cast [it] from thee; it is good for thee to enter into life lame or maimed, [rather] than having two hands or two feet to be cast into eternal fire.
MT 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast [it] from thee; it is good for thee to enter into life one-eyed, [rather] than having two eyes to be cast into the hell of fire.
MT 18:10 See that ye do not despise one of these little ones; for I say unto you that their angels in [the] heavens continually behold the face of my Father who is in [the] heavens.
MT 18:11 For the Son of man has come to save that which was lost.
MT 18:12 What think ye? If a certain man should have a hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, does he not, leaving the ninety and nine on the mountains, go and seek the one that has gone astray?
MT 18:13 And if it should come to pass that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoices more because of it than because of the ninety and nine not gone astray.
MT 18:14 So it is not the will of your Father who is in [the] heavens that one of these little ones should perish.

JN 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
JN 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Enon, near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
JN 3:24 For John was not yet cast into prison.
JN 3:25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews, about purifying.
JN 3:26 And they came to John, and said to him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou didst bear testimony, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.
JN 3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
JN 3:28 Ye yourselves bear me testimony, that I said I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
JN 3:29 He that hath the bride, is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, who standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly, because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
JN 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.
JN 3:31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
JN 3:32 And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
JN 3:33 He that hath received his testimony, hath set to his seal that God is true.
JN 3:34 For he whom God hath sent, speaketh the words of God: for to him God giveth not the Spirit by measure.
JN 3:35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
JN 3:36 He that believeth on the Son, hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son, shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

JN 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

1JN 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

1PET 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

HEB 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Mark 4:26 John Wesley’s Notes

So is the kingdom of God - The inward kingdom is like seed
which a man casts into the ground - This a preacher of the Gospel
casts into the heart. And he sleeps and rises night and day - That
is, he has it continually in his thoughts. Meantime it springs
and grows up he knows not how - Even he that sowed it cannot
explain how it grows. For as the earth by a curious kind of
mechanism, which the greatest philosophers cannot comprehend,
does as it were spontaneously bring forth first the blade, then
the ear, then the full corn in the ear: so the soul, in an
inexplicable manner, brings forth, first weak graces, then
stronger, then full holiness: and all this of itself, as a
machine, whose spring of motion is within itself. Yet observe
the amazing exactness of the comparison. The earth brings forth
no corn (as the soul no holiness) without both the care and toil
of man, and the benign influence of heaven.

HEB 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
HEB 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
HEB 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which appeared.
HEB 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained testimony that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
HEB 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated, that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
HEB 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
HEB 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned by God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
HEB 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to remove into a place which he should afterwards receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out not knowing whither he was going.
HEB 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a foreign country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
HEB 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
HEB 11:11 Through faith also Sarah herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
HEB 11:12 Therefore there sprang even from one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea-shore innumerable.
HEB 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
HEB 11:14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
HEB 11:15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came, they might have had opportunity to return.
HEB 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for he hath prepared for them a city.
HEB 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only-begotten son,
HEB 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
HEB 11:19 Accounting that God was able to raise him even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
HEB 11:20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
HEB 11:21 By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshiped, leaning upon the top of his staff.
HEB 11:22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
HEB 11:23 By faith Moses when he was born, was hid three months by his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
HEB 11:24 By faith Moses, when he had come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
HEB 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
HEB 11:26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt: for he had respect to the recompense of the reward.
HEB 11:27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
HEB 11:28 Through faith he kept the Passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the first-born should touch them.
HEB 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians essaying to do were drowned.
HEB 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encompassed seven days.
HEB 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, as she had received the spies with peace.
HEB 11:32 And what shall I say more? for the time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthah, of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
HEB 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
HEB 11:34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
HEB 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:
HEB 11:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, and, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
HEB 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheep-skins, and goat-skins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;
HEB 11:38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.
HEB 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
HEB 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

1Cor.13
[1] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
[2] And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
[3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
[4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
[5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
[6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
[7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
[8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

[9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
[10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
[11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
[12] For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

[13] And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

--------------------
That is all.....

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
oneinchrist " to commit oneself to Him in obedience."

Obedience, a word hated by most of the professing Church. They cry legalist, legalist or you’re preaching works whenever it is brought up in context with salvation.

Yet if we look at Hebrews chapter 11, sometimes referred to as “The Hall of Faith” you see nothing but obedience.

In the illustration given by afisherofman of the man walking the tight rope we see a picture of why Yeshua said only a few will be saved! Only the ones that were will to get in the chair on the man’s back as he walked across the river are the true believers.

“Faith without works is dead” or

“Faith without corresponding action is dead” or

“Faith without obedience is dead”.

All three statements mean exactly the same thing.

I have a little more to add but have to go at this moment
Love

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith, or belief by itself, is not the only step to salvation. I think that Jesus makes it very clear when He says
quote:
Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord", will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. (Mt 8:21)
James indicates that two steps are required for salvation when he says
quote:
faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead (James 2:17)
Saving faith must be accompanied by repentance from sin and obedient stewardship. For some more details regarding this see my statement on "Faith" here: http://christianityetc.org/faith.php

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi afisherofman,
I enjoyed your post. When I looked up the word "believe" in my bible dictionary it actually states, as part of the definition, the following....... (3) to commit oneself to Him in obedience. I am assuming that this is what is meant by "accepting Him as Lord of your life."

So what do you think afisherofman, can we accept Him as savior, but deny His lordship?

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afisherofman
Advanced Member
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afisherofman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WildB

Excellent quote from Cornelius R. Stam describing faith, and using biblical referemces.

I agree with his assesmsnt on what faith is.

quote:

FAITH
by Cornelius R. Stam

Faith is one of the most precious treasures a man can possibly possess. It is a pity that so few understand what the Bible teaches about it.

Faith is often confused with presumption, optimism, determination, superstition and imagination. Actually it is simply believing.

One of my faith description and refernces comes from Hebrews CHAP 11

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

4By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain

5By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death

6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

7By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

8By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

9By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

11Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

And then there is my personal non-biblical illustration on what faith is.

A tightrope artist stretched a rope across Niagara falls.

The crowd gathered with anticipation on what they were about to witness.

Before the tightrope artist took his first step on the rope, he called out to the crowd...

"whoever believes I can make it across to the other side, shout I believe?"

And a loud shout from the crowd could be heard exclaiming, "I believe."

Then he walked across the rope and made it to the other side.

And the crowd was cheering and clapping in celebration of the tightrope walkers' courage and success.

Now the tightrop artist placed a large chair on his back and before he took his first step on the rope, he called out to the crowd...

"whoever believes I can make it across to the other side this time, shout I believe?"

And a loud shout from the crowd could be heard exclaiming, "I believe."

Then he walked across the rope and made it to the other side.

And the crowd was widly cheering and clapping in celebration.

When the cheering stopped, the tightrope walker said,
"For my last walk across the rope, I will have a person sitting in the chair. Whoever believes I can make it across to the other side this time, shout I believe?"

And an extremely loud shout from the crowd could be heard exclaiming, "I believe."

At that the tightrope artist shout back at them, "to all that believe, anyone who has faith in me and wants to volunteer to sit in the chair, say I do"

The believers with faith who said "I do" were so small in number that they could barely be heard over the rushing waters of the falls.

Conclusion....Jesus doesn't want us to only believe in Him, HE wants us to trust Him and let Him be the Lord of our lives.

Thank you for letting me share.

I pray my message was a blessing to you,

afisherofman

Posts: 43 | From: PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

FAITH
by Cornelius R. Stam

Faith is one of the most precious treasures a man can possibly possess. It is a pity that so few understand what the Bible teaches about it.

Faith is often confused with presumption, optimism, determination, superstition and imagination. Actually it is simply believing. This is why we read in Rom. 4:5:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

Obviously, faith honors God, while doubting His Word must insult and displease Him. The Apostle John wrote:

"If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater.... He that believeth not God hath made Him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of His Son.
"And this is the record: that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son"

(I John 5:9-11).

Little wonder that we read in Heb. 11:6:

"Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

But why did God give the law, if salvation can be obtained by simple faith? St. Paul answers:

"The law was our schoolmaster, to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith" (Gal. 3:24).

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law"

(Rom. 3:21).

How grateful we all should be that God, in the Bible, has told us about redemption through Christ and how we may be saved by faith in Him!

"[Christ] was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification. Therefore, being justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Rom. 4:25; 5:1).

--------------------
That is all.....

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement