Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Pursuing love

Author Topic: Pursuing love
Kwistina
Advanced Member
Member # 6618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kwistina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had actually posted sooner on this board. Aiopj had much that I felt was interesting, but he stopped showing up around the time I made a few of my first posts, and I cannot help but wonder if I helped him on his way by being too harsh on him (it was unintended, but I reacted to a particular comment he made-one that someone I strongly dislike has made, and it rubbed me the wrong way).
Anyhow, what was the determination, on love, that is? Because it has so many interpretations, so many ways are there of defining it. I have my own ideas, but I am curious to know what others think, how they interpret this many faceted word.

"Greater love has no man than this-that a man lay down his life for a friend". I would even add, though scripture, I think does not? "how much greater, than, to die for one who is not your friend . . . but, rather, an enemy instead".

Posts: 38 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindfaith101
Community Member
Member # 6836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blindfaith101   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified F35 through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. JOHN 17:1-26

If we believe what Christ says we have protection. Protection from The Unbelievers. Protection from our carnal selves. Protection from the demons. We all have to decide how close we will follow Christ.If we follow Christ as close as we should. We have no problem. When we decide to go our own way. We lose sight of where we should be.
24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
MATTHEW 6:25-34

Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn New York | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, thanks for the encouragement,

"The day of the Lord is coming," when the heavens will open up and we will see Yeshua descending through the clouds to be with us once again, forevermore. He will come to gather us up to be together - the living and the dead - and to be in Yahweh's Kingdom. Until that time, take heart, have hope and never stop encouraging one another."

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi becauseHElives,
May I encourage you in your stedfast spirit also. As a friend in the Lord, I have witnessed that you express a heartfelt awareness in the responsibility and accountability that we have to God in Christ. You dont look at the free-will that we have been given as an opportunity to live out selfish desire, but as an opportunity to be used as an avenue of living out the faith, which glorifies God and lifts up the Name of our Lord. I believe that God will continue to help you care for the flock because you have an earnest desire to prevent them from falling in a pit. I have a hope in your dilegence to the end of this race. Praise God.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi freeinchrist,
Thank you for the testimony. I would like to encourage you to keep stedfast in the cause of Christ. You may experience times ahead where you feel abandoned by God, but I plead with you not to look at it as an abandonment, but as a test. Just like a true friend speaks good things about you even when you are not around......lets not curse God when we dont feel his presence....but lets confess His Name to a dying nation, and live our lives by His example.

You are now more of a threat to the enemy then you were before, so my friend in the Lord, you will inevitably come into turbulence. Keep your eyes fixed on Christ, allow His words to become life in you, and look to the sky while trying to picure His glorious coming.

Praise Him.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
freeinchrist,

The apostle rejoiced in prison, after being beaten, he rejoiced in shipwreck, he rejoiced in hunger…

Everything is easier in Christ because He is bearing our burdens….we are yoked with Him

Yeshua never promised us an easy road, in fact He promised just the opposite but He said He would never leave us or forsake us, we just need to keep our eyes on Him, the author and finisher of our faith.

When the lion comes along, take Yahweh’s word and kill that sucker and you will then have strength for the bear and then Satan’s Goliath will look exactly like what David said “…for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?

Hebrews says some died not receiving the promise….
Hebrews 11:
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Sometimes victory doesn’t look like we want it to look! [Cross]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freeinchrist
Community Member
Member # 6867

Icon 16 posted      Profile for freeinchrist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello to all.. i understand what you are saying and do agree. it really is a battle and stongholds will be won thru Christ. i like to point out that before i was born again i was dead to sin. my life consist of the spirit of the world( satan) drugs,booze,unforgiveness,depression,wanting to die,,,and on and on...never knew any other way to live and thought there was no other way. with me my life is easier when i became a Christian. most of the way i was before i am no longer. being set free in these areas has been awesome ..yes i still have strongholds and God is still changing me into the image of His Son. but one thing is for sure( at lease for me ) my life is easier In Christ... and money ( in case someone might think ) has nothing to my life becoming easier. as matter of fact i have less now then before. i think i have ten dollars to my name right now ...i am 45 and broke ..yet i am the RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD... for Christ has set me Free ... i became born again about 2 years ago...its been the best 2 years of my life.. what joy,peace and everything can be found in HIM.. oh ..Holy , Holy , HOLY IS HIS NAME... [Smile]
Posts: 18 | From: michigan,usa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Daniel,

First the lion, then the bear, then Goliath!

--------------------

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi freeinChrist,
It gets harder because the Lord desires to bring us where great resistance is present. A victorious life in Christ is wrought through being led into the heat of the battle. I think that there are some who do not believe in the reality of Satans Kingdom. We are to face the lies with the truth, that is the only way that stongholds will be brought down and testimonies are built. This is not easy, but it is made possible with the help of Lord Jesus, our first love.

freeinchrist
Community Member
Member # 6867

Icon 16 posted      Profile for freeinchrist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i do not believe life gets easier in Christ but harder" Dear sir, please explain that to me. thank-you...james
Posts: 18 | From: michigan,usa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi everybody,
I know there has been many times in my past when the enemy has made his attempts to sidetrack me and cause me to lose hope in God's purpose for my life. God has had his way of reminding me of his blessings in my life to help renew in me a spirit of perseverance. One thing is for sure, I do not believe that life gets easier in Christ. In fact, I believe that it gets more difficult because of God's desire to bring us into greater challenges. I understand that "in Christ" we have the Keys to victory, but it does not eliminate the experience of trials and suffering that we go through in the faith.

It has certainly been God's love that has convinced my heart of His truth. Now, I ponder about how that is so very important for us to believe in the unlimited effect love can have in our relationships with each other. We are constantly coming into circumstances where we are challenged in this belief. It seems like God gives us more opportunities than we realize, and then if we dont take it when it comes, it can disappear as quickly as it showed up.

The reason I want to share some of these things with you is because I believe that the body can lose focus. I believe that we can get so caught up in developing "scriptural prowess" that we can be sidetracked off of where our energy should be focused. I think of aiopj, a friend in the Lord, who came in here, shouted out his message, and then took off to wherever the spirit lead him. He convicted my spirit with his positive energy in the Lord. His desire was to understand the love of Christ. Have I forgotten that focus? Am I guilty? If I spent more of my time trying to understand God's love and how to love with the same love that Christ has shown, then maybe I would see the fruit that I desire to see. One thing that I am convinced of is that the Holy Spirit will only confirm where love is present. In scripture the Holy Spirit only confirmed where love was present.
If it would have been any different, we would be left confused about the nature of God.

Aiojp wanted to understand how this love of Christ is different than the ordinary love that humans show each other. This certainly contrasts to someone who has the objective of building up a case against a brother to win a scriptural fued.
It is no wonder there are divisions that should not be. We lose our focus. We dont "pursue love".

I believe that there is a misunderstanding when it comes to handling the truth. We think that we need to seek to offend others with the truth, and then that somehow becomes evidence we are in the truth. No, I say that we are to seek to love in truth, and hope that it doesn't cause division, but a softened heart.

So while we cultivate "scriptural prowess", we have other friends in the Lord who are moving on to better things like learning how to love our enemies. Surely that is where the "true witness" will be found.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement