Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » 1 Peter 3:19

Author Topic: 1 Peter 3:19
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus did not burn in hell. When Jesus died on the cross, He cried out "It is finished" (John 19:30). Jesus finished paying for the sins of the world by dying on the cross, not by burning in hell.

After His death on the cross, Jesus descended into hell to proclaim his victory over the demon spirits which are now imprisoned, not to suffer for the sins of the world (1 Peter 3:18-19). Jesus did not burn in hell before He was resurrected.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi PresbyGirl,
Should not the truth about how great His love is compel our hearts to reach out even to ones some may consider the most vile, or sinful? If that is the heart of the Lord, let it be our heart also that believes that anyone can be saved.
With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PresbyGirl
Community Member
Member # 6818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PresbyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of Jesus going to hell baffled me until I tried looking at it from a different perspective. Instead of trying to figure out the mechanics and theology of it, I asked, "What does this tell me about Jesus?" The answer that touched my heart was that if Jesus is willing to go to hell to preach the Good News there, where is he not likely to show up? What "hell" is too deep for Him? To what lengths will He not go to reach even the least, the worst, the most vile -- to reach even me? Since then, Holy Saturday (the day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday) has taken on a new meaning to me. This certainly doesn't tie up any of the loose ends, but, for me at least, it overshadows them, and allows me to live in peace with the questions. Praise God! What a wonderful Savior!

--------------------
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Peter 3:19--"and, in the spirit, He went to preach to the spirits in prison."

Did Jesus go to Hell or Paradise? Is this scripture dealing with Jesus preaching to what spirits in prison? Did Jesus after his death go to Hell and preach to spirits?

Eden here:

The King James Version of the Bible uses the same word “hell” for 3 Greek words: "hades", "gehenna", and "tartaroo".

Of these 3 Greek words, I think gehenna relates more to the last day fire, since gehenna was the refuse heap on the south side of Jerusalem in Old Testament times and still when Jesus was in Jerusalem.

The Greek word “gehenna” is the Greek rendering of “ge hinnom”, meaning “valley of Hinnom” where the Jerusalemites threw their garbage and added sulfur to make sure it burned everything thoroughly to ashes. So "gehenna" probably refers more to the lake of fire of the last days.

That leaves “hades” and “tartaroo”. Now tartaroo is used only once in the Bible and apparently the angels who sinned before the flood are imprisoned there:

Jude 1:6-7

6 And the angels who kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

2 Peter 2:4
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.

This “hell” of 2 Peter 2:4 is tartaroo and in it apparently are the angels chained who sinned by leaving their first estate and before the flood having intercourse with humans who were called “mighty men” before the flood of Noah.

We also know that angels were spirits:

Psalm 104:4
Who makes His angels spirits; His ministers a flaming fire.

So let’s look at 2 Peter 3:19 again: “…and, in the spirit, He went to preach to the spirits in prison."

So maybe Jesus went to tartaroo. But if Jesus did not go to tartaroo, then Jesus may have gone to “hades”. But more on that the next time?

With love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristy2007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so then who did Jesus preach too?

1 Peter 3:19--"and, in the spirit, He went to preach to the spirits in prison

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen T7,

quote:
I believe it was "finished" at the cross;

Jesus went to hell, but he went there in victory to take what didn't belong to Satan.

Kristy2007,

Angels do not get the blessing of "Forgiveness" through the precious Blood of Yeshua.

The scriptures tell us angels are watching the unfolding of our lives and the working out of God’s plan to save us through the sacrifice of His Son, ever since we were created. St. Peter tells us that “angels long to look into these things”

1Pe 1:12
Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

1Cr 11:10
For this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels.

Angel are watching

"good and bad" angels are also the ministers to the saints but Fallen Angles know they have no way back into the Favor of Yahweh, they like Satan only await their fate of eternal damnation.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristy2007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think Jesus may have preached to fallen angels from Noahs day when he went to Hell?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,
What cannot be speculated on is whether or not He descended into Hell. That is the original stated faith of the Apostles. He who ascended must have descended first. Paul also does reference this truth in Romans 10:6-7.....

6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?'" (that is to bring Christ down from above)
7 or, "Who will descend into the abyss?'" (that is to bring Christ up from the dead).

As far as the passage about Jesus preaching to the spirits in prison, I believe that the passage that follows it gives more information relating to vs. 19. Vs. 19 actually ends with a comma. So these are the combined passages ......

19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison,
20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is eight souls, were saved through water.

Now these passages do lend to various interpretation. Now we know that the law of Moses had not been received until after the flood. So can it be safely assumed that these disobedient ones were not being held accountable to it in the same manner as those who had received it? So did Jesus stretch out His arms in Hell and give them opportunity to be freed?
That is what I like to believe, but I try to never question the righteous judgement of God.

I do agree with the above who state that Jesus did not go to Hell for suffering, but He certainly did suffer a painful death by all means.

I am concerned with churches who change the faith of the Apostles to eliminate Jesus' descension to Hell. To be exalted above all Height and glory, did He not have to go as low as low goes? and when He did, did He not just continue on with His mission to save?

The only danger I see in application is those who may look at this as even if one goes to Hell that Jesus will keep coming through? Not worth the risk, no way...no how.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opinion = Jesus went to hell, took the keys of hell and death, may have preached there.

Then with the keys of hell and death, on to paradise, preaching, then leading the captives out.

I do not hold to the theory that Jesus suffered in hell, I believe it was "finished" at the cross;
Jesus went to hell, but he went there in victory to take what didn't belong to satan.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy2Tworld
Advanced Member
Member # 6764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy2Tworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He died on the cross, before all that he got the beetings and torture, that he did all for our sins, then he went to hell for a while to all our sins he suffered all that for us, for our salvation, for the chance of going to heaven to live eternal life, that is a topic we have covered at church. But he rose again, which is the greatest miricle. Now he is alive and with his father, until the time when he will come back.

God Bless

Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

1 Peter 3:19--"and, in the spirit, He went to preach to the spirits in prison."

Did Jesus go to Hell or Paradise? Is this scripture dealing with Jesus preaching to what spirits in prison? Did Jesus after his death go to Hell and preach to spirits?
What are your thoughts? Did Jesus go to Hell?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement