Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » In the Name of...

Author Topic: In the Name of...
aiopj
Advanced Member
Member # 6768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiopj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All these names, and more to be found, certainly are significant.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiopj
Advanced Member
Member # 6768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiopj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love
Truth
Majesty
Praise
Merciful
River
Foundation
Righteousness
Beloved
Armor
Day
Brightness
Power
Light of Thy Countenance
Joy
Liberty
Word
Savior
Redeemer
Inheritance
Seed
Rod of Iron
Freedom
Right, Strong, Mighty Hand
Blessing
His Mercy
His Favor
Thy Great Power
Promise
Arm
Thy Honor
Strength

Posts: 114 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aiopj:
Roughly how many Names does the Son of God have?

So far, I've found around thirty.

Jesus Names

The Advocate (1 John 2:1)
The Almighty (Revelation 1:8)
The Alpha and Omega (Revelation 1:8)
Ancient of Days (Daniel 7:13-14)
The Author of Eternal Salvation (Hebrews 12:2)

The Balm of Giliead (Jeremiah 8:22)
The Beginning (Colossians 1:18)
God's Beloved (Matthew 12:18)
Blessed Hope (Titus 2:13)
The Bread of Life (John 6:35)
The Bright and Morning Star (Revelation 22:16

The Captain of Our Salvation (Hebrews 2:10)
The Chief Shepherd (1 Peter 5:4)
The Child (Isaiah 7:16)
Christ (Ephesians 1:3)
Commander (Isaiah 55:4)
Counsellor (Isaiah 9:6)
Creator of all things (Colossians (1:16)

The Day Star (2 Peter 1:19)
The Deliverer (Romans 11:26)

Emmanuel (Matthew 1:23)
The Everlasting God (Isaiah 40:28)
Excellent (Psalm 148:13)

The First and the Last (Revelation 1:17)
My Fortress (Psalm 18:2)
Friend of Sinners (Matthew 11:19)

The Gift of God (John 4:10)
The Glory of God's People Israel (Luke 2:32)
God (Hebrews 1:8)
The Good Shepherd (John 10:11)

Head over All Things (Ephesians 1:22)
Heir of All things (Hebrews 1:2)
My High Tower (Psalm 144:2)
Holy and True (Revelation 6:10)
God's Holy Child Jesus (Acts 4:27)
God's Holy One (Acts 2:27)
Our Hope (1 Timothy 1:1)
Hope of Israel (Jeremiah 14:8)

I Am (John 8:58)
Our Intercessor (Hebrews 7:25)

Jehovah (Isaiah 40:3)
Jesus (Matthew 1:21)
Jesus Christ the Rightwous (1 John 2:1)
Judge of the Quick and the Dead (2 Tim 4:1-2)

The King (Zechariah 14:16)
The King of Israel (John 1:49)
King of Kings (Revelation 17:14)
King of Saints (Revelation 15:30
The King of the Jews (Mark 15:2)

The Lamb of God (John 1:29)
The Lamb Without Blemish or Spot (1 Peter 1:19)
Our Lawgiver (Isaiah 33:22)
The Life (John 14:6)
The Light of Israel (Isaiah 10:7)
The Light of Men (John 1:4)
The Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Revelation 5:5)
The Lord God (Isaiah 40:10)

Ok, I ran out of patience. If you want the scritpture for any of the below, let me know. I'll be happy to give you the reference.

The Lord of All
The Lord of Glory
The Lord of Hosts
The Lord of Lords
The Lord of Peace

My Maker
The Man Christ Jesus
MasterMessiah
Mighty God
Morning Star

Nazarene
Nobleman

An Offering
One Lord
Only Begotten of teh Father
The Overcomer
God's only Son

Our Passover
Our Peace
Physician
The Power of God
Prince of Peace

Quickening Spirit

Rabbi
A Ransom
The Redeemer
Redemption
Refiner
Restroer
The Resurrection
The Righteous Judge
Rivers of Water in a Dry Place
Rock of My Salvation
Root of David
Rose of Sharon

The Salvation of God
A Sanctuary
The Saviour of the World
Seed Of Abraham
The Sent form teh Father
THe Seed of teh Woman
AMy Shield
A Sign
Son of Man
Son of God
Son of Mary
Son of the Father
Stone Cut Without Hands
Strength to the Poor
My Strong Rock
A Sure Foundation

The Temple
The Tesifier
A Tried Stone
The True God

The Upholder of All Things
A Wall of Fire
The Way
The Wisdom of God
A Witness to the People
Wonderful
The Word
Word of God
The Word of Life

The Young Child

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 11:
1: Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2: (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3: Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4: When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5: Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6: When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
7: Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
8: His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9: Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10: But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11: These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12: Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13: Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14: Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15: And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16: Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17: Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
18: Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
19: And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20: Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21: Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22: But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23: Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24: Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
25: Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
27: She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
28: And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.
29: As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him.
30: Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him.
31: The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there.
32: Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
33: When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
34: And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
35: Jesus wept.
36: Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
37: And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
38: Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
39: Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
40: Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
41: Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me.
42: And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.
43: And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
44: And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
45: Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.

John Gill's Exposition of the Bible

John 11:35

Jesus wept.
] As he was going along to the grave, see (John 11:28) ; as he was meditating upon the state of his friend Lazarus, the distress his two sisters were in, and the greater damnation that would befall the Jews then present, who, notwithstanding the miracle, would not believe in him. This shows him to be truly and really man, subject to like passions, only without sin.

John Wesley's Explanatory Notes:

11:35 Jesus wept - Out of sympathy with those who were in tears all around him, as well as from a deep sense of the misery sin had brought upon human nature.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joy2Tworld
Advanced Member
Member # 6764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joy2Tworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question, when people curse using Godly names, one that you hear a lot is "Jesus weps" somebody asked me a question and havn't been able to answer them, the question was, "Why did Jesus Weep? If anyone could find the answer that would be great.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiopj
Advanced Member
Member # 6768

Roughly how many Names does the Son of God have?

So far, I've found around thirty.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement