Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » key of the house of David~what is it

Author Topic: key of the house of David~what is it
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stewards of the house of King David had the key and used the key to the house of King David. Whosoever the steward opened for with the key, the same could enter the house of King David.

Likewise we Christians are stewards who have been given the key to the house of the Greater David, even Jesus Christ, the Son of David, and in the gospel we have the key to the house of the Greater David, which key is the gospel message: Jesus died on my behalf so that I do not have to die.

Isaiah 22:22
And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Revelation 3:7
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These things says he who is holy, he who is true, he who has the key of David, he who opens, and no man shuts; and shuts and no man opens.

The key to enter the house of the Greater King David is thus the gospel message by which we enter and by which we as stewards enable others to enter.

eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title: Barnes’ Notes on the Old Testament
Edition: Second

Isaiah 22:22

And the key—

A key is that by which a house is locked or opened. To possess that is, therefore, to have free access to it, or control over it. Thus we give possession of a house by giving the “key” into the hands of a purchaser, implying that it is his; that he has free access to it; that he can close it when he pleases, and that no other one, without his permission, has the right of access to it.

Of the house of David—

Of the house which David built for his royal residence; that is, of the palace. This house was on Mount Zion; and to have the key of that house was to have the chief authority at court, or to be prime minister (see the note at Isa. 22:15). To be put in possession of that key, therefore, was the mark of office, or was a sign that he was entrusted with the chief authority in the government.

Will I lay upon his shoulder—

(see Isa. 9:6). This seems to have been designed as an emblem of office. But in what way it was done is unknown. Lowth supposes that the key was of considerable magnitude, and was made crooked, and that thus it would lie readily on the shoulder. He has observed also, that this was a well-known badge or emblem of office. Thus the priestess of Ceres is described as having a key on the shoulder (Callim. “Ceres,” ver. 45); and thus in AEschyl. “Supp.” 299, a female high in office is described as having a key. But it is not known in what way the key was borne. It may have been borne on the shoulder, being so made as to be easily carried there; or it may have been attached to the shoulder by a belt or strap, as a sword is; or it may have been a mere emblem or figure fashioned into the robe, and worn as a sign of office; or the figure of a key may have been worn on the shoulder as an epaulet is now, as a sign of office and authority. If the locks were made of wood, as we have reason to suppose, then the key was probably large, and would answer well for a sign of office. ‘How much was I delighted when I first saw the people, especially the Moors, going along the streets with each his key on his shoulder. The handle is generally made of brass (though sometimes of silver), and is often nicely worked in a device of filigrane. The way it is carried is to have the corner of a kerchief tied to the ring; the key is then placed on the shoulder, and the kerchief hangs down in front. At other times they have a bunch of large keys, and then they have half on one side of the shoulder, and half on the other. For a man thus to march along with a large key on his shoulder, shows at once that he is a person of consequence. “Raman is in great favor with the Modeliar, for he now carries the key.” “Whose key have you got on your shoulder?” “I shall carry my key on my own shoulder.”’—(Roberts)

So he shall open …—

This phrase means, that he should have the highest authority in the government, and is a promise of unlimited power. Our Saviour has made use of the same expression to denote the unlimited power conferred on his apostles in his church Matt. 16:19; and has applied it also to himself in Rev. 3:7.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title: Disciple’s Study Bible
Edition: Second

Isaiah 22:21-24

Jesus Christ, Foretold

Corrupt officials (Shebna, v. 15) would be replaced by incorrupt ones (Eliakim, v. 20). The incorrupt would eventually become corrupt and be replaced (v. 25). Is there anyone with the keys of authority who is worthy to open and close the doors of justice and eternal life? John had One in mind and commended Him to the church at Philadelphia (Rev 3:7-13). Contemporary churches need confidence in Him who can open and shut what no one else can (Rev 3:7).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbou4668
Advanced Member
Member # 6280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbou4668     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I have come to accept as being the Key of David, Humility. "A man after my own heart". The seven messages to seven churches each have their own topic making seven topics. I have accepted that the topics are the Seven Spirits of God, fulfilling the the secret meaning of the seven stars (seven angels) and seven lampstands (seven churches). The message to the Church of Ephesus is about Love, the message to the Church of Smyrna is about Faith, the message to the Church of Pergamum is about Service, the message to the Church of Thyatira is about Patience, the message to the Church of Sardis is about Awareness, the message to the Church of Philiadelphia ia about Humility, and the message to the Church of Laodicea is about Committal.
Posts: 99 | From: Rockledge, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The due order of divine praise and worship was given to David by GOD, and established in the Tabernacle of David.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiopj
Advanced Member
Member # 6768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiopj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Belieivn in Him is pobably the key to get into HIS house.

Faith, without works, is dead:

quote:
Luk 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
And, so, it's more than mere worship.

When one lets circumstances rule his life, he is not doing the things which the Lord said.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me take a stab at it. The key to the house of King David probably meant that King David's house was 100% shut when King David wanted it shut and his house was 100% open when David wanted it open, and no one could do anything about it.

In like manner, as oneinchrist also in other wods, the Greater David, the Branch, when Shiloh, Jesus of Nazareth-Bethlehem inherits the throne of David, then what Lord Jesus opens will stay open, and what Jesus closes will stay closed, just like having the key to the house of King David.

But eventhough David's key was presumably a real key, in Jesus's case, what was HIS key? It is not the gospel message, that Jesus died for our sins and rose again on the third day?

Believing THAT good news amounts to having the sure key into by which WE may enter the house of the Greater David, of Shiloh, of Jesus of Nazareth-Bethlehem who died and rose again on the third day?

Belieivn in Him is pobably the key to get into HIS house.

with love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WildB,
I had to look that one up in my Bible dictionary and this is what it has to say....

the word key implies the royal power and authority of the Davidic dynasty or kingdom in the expression "the key of the house of David" in Isa 22:22. In the NT this power is lodged in the risen Christ (Rev 3:7), where it is further defined as the authority to admit or to refuse admittance to heaven (cf. MT 16:19).

I do believe that many things in the old testament have prophetic significance, but I believe that the above definition provides a distinction so as not to cause confusion when discussing this topic.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isa.22

[22] And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement