Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » chewing the fat

Author Topic: chewing the fat
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what you say is true, and that is where the expression probably came from. I just am just amazed that there is not more reference to it.
You would be surprised what modern woman uses. When our children were growing up, I was in the kitchen so much that my main cosmetic was crisco shortening. It kept my hands and arms smooth. I never bought hand cream (except for vistors like my sisters).

Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
corriee said to Eden's evidence about "eat the fat":

"Only one person has documented this activity
through history? I guess that is why I never
heard of it.

"I don't think that is what those Bible verses
mean
, though it could be taken from that
habit
. Sounds really nasty though."

Eden here: Now corriee, that it would sound nasty to a woman brought up presumably in cooler-climate USA America with its cosmietics in the 20th century A.D., the practice of using butter fat and harder animal fat in their hairdos was a matter of survival in this tremendous heat.

Modern Emily Post habits found in the Western World had nothing to do and would be downright dangerous in a climate like superhot east-northeast Sudan where this "chew the fat" and "eat the fat" was first documented, praise the Lord, by the Christian (or secular but not Islamic) explorers Samuel Baker and Florence von Sass in 1861.

Thank the LORD that it was finally documented by the Bakers, eventough the KJV translators and even subsequent translators of the Old had been in error or at leat ignorant that this phrase eat the fat" was literal in the Old Testament.

Have a great day in Christ, Corriee,
Eden

Corriee said:

"I have looked and not found one single reference
to that at all."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one person has documented this activity
through history? I guess that is why I never
heard of it.
I don't think that is what those Bible verses
mean, though it could be taken from that
habit. Sounds really nasty though.
I have looked and not found one single reference
to that at all.

Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, corriee. You asked where you could find out more about this “chewing the fat” and “eating the fat”.

There is precious little on this subject, probably because the translators of the Bible lived in cooler countries like Europe and North America. The Bible was primarily translated from let’s say 1350 A.D. to 1611 A.D. for the King James Version, and in 1611, this practice of eating fat by the Arabs and Hebrew Israelites in these superhot countries was unknown to the European and American translators of the Bible.

It was not until the explorer Samuel Baker went into east Sudan and saw the Arabs chew the fat and eat all the fat that they could get their hands on that it was, probably for the first time, really understood that these verses of “eat the fat” really meant in the Bible, namely, eat lots of fat.

So other than Samuel Baker’s book of the year 1862, there is precious little information about the subject of “chewing the fat” for the hairdo and “eating all the fat that they could get their hands on”, with Sheikh Abu Sinn consuming at least a half pound of melted butter each day. But we have to remember that these Arabs walked all day alongside their baggage-camels from wateringplace to waterplace. Eating the fat may not be recommened for couch potatoes.

With love to you,
Eden

corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Now I am interested in this 'chewing the fat'. I looked online under search, but for some reason can't find a reference. Can you help me know where to look for this tradition of chewing the fat?
I always thought that in the Bible words like 'fat of the land' was referring to how rich the land was.
So if you can help me find where to read up on this thing. Thanks
In Christ

Eden
unregistered

corriee said:

“Your kidding right? This sounds really gross, why would anyone put fat in their hair?
hair spray? “

Eden here:

The Arabs had flocks and herds and moved between water soorces during the year, and they used butter fat and harder animal fat, especially sheep fat, to grease up their hairdo, not to look dapper (although the fat helped that too), but as protection from the hot African sun, as the butter fat or frothy white animal fat dripped as oil from their hairdos onto their shoulders and down to their ankles and borders of their robes, so that the Arabs were literally anointed with oil.

The also ate all the fat that they could get their hands on. One Arab who was 80 years old and still stood as erect as a spear ate a half pound of melted butter A DAY. And if they ran out of fat, there was great discomfort and camp and their skin even turned an unsightly greyish color.

The Hebrew Israelites were also camel breeders and had flocks and herds, and the
Israelites ALSO ATE FAT. Which is why it was a great request when the LORD God of Israel said:

Genesis 45:18
And take your father and your households, and come unto me: and I will give you the good of the land of Egypt, and ye shall eat the fat of the land.

Deuteronomy 32:38
Which did eat the fat of their sacrifices, and drank the wine of their drink offerings? let them rise up and help you, and be your protection.

Nehemiah 8:10
Then he said to them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our LORD: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.

Ezekiel 34:3
You eat the fat, and you clothe yourself with the wool, you kill them that are fed: but you feed not the flock.

Therefor it was a great sacrifice for the Israelites to burn all the fat on the altar:

Leviticus 4:26
And he shall burn all his fat upon the altar, as the fat of the sacrifice of peace offerings: and the priest shall make an atonement for him as concerning his sin, and it shall be forgiven him.

That was, not just chewing the fat, but also eating the fat.

With love in Him,
Eden

corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Your kidding right? This sounds really gross, why would anyone put fat in their hair?
hair spray?

Eden
unregistered

The nomadic Arabs, as well as the Hebrew Jacob-Israelites, chewed the fat. In this tremendous heat, the Arabs and Jacob-Israelites took the harder fat of animals, and especially sheep fat, and then with some friends they chewed the fat for about 2 hours until the hard animal fat became a frothy pure white, and then the Arabs worked this frothy white fat into their hairdo.

And after a few hours in this intense heat, the fat had dripped down into the beard and onto the robe of the Arab or Jacob-Israelite, and down to the skirt of his robe:

Psalm 133:2
It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments.

that was, chewing the fat.

love,
Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement