Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Will the Lord extend favor to those He sees reading the Bible?

Author Topic: Will the Lord extend favor to those He sees reading the Bible?
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Hi, Chaplain Bob. You said:

"What God wants is our obedience not our religious piety or practices."

Eden here:

It is probably fairly easy to state that "God wants our obedience", but if I may ask, you Chaplain Bob, God wants our obedience to WHAT exactly?

Could you actually spell out a few items for me that God wants me to be obedient to?

Thank you!
Eden

Other than the "Great Commission" we've all been given God's plan for each of us is different. He will guide you through each day if you allow Him to. But you need to communicate with Him. He will speak to you in a way you can understand. He has not restricted Himself to the printed page. Generally we are to display a Christ-like demeanor and attitude to the world.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Chaplain Bob. You said:

"What God wants is our obedience not our religious piety or practices."

Eden here:

It is probably fairly easy to state that "God wants our obedience", but if I may ask, you Chaplain Bob, God wants our obedience to WHAT exactly?

Could you actually spell out a few items for me that God wants me to be obedient to?

Thank you!
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jman:
Let us not presume to know the mind of God or reduce his working to our finite concepts. Grace is a wonderful thing, I wake up each day and I am immersed in it. I think it is wonderful that people strive to read scriptures and surround themselves with worship music, long may it continue, but....
There is nothing we can do that will make him love us anymore. (God's favour if you like)Nothing!!!
I have lived a life that is littered with mistakes, a number of large ones and many 'smaller' regular ones and wouldn't you knoe it, he continues to love me, to forgive me and if I look at the good fortune of my life I could say that he continues to show me favour. You see, the way I see it, I have never been able to hack the entire Holy life issue, God knows I try and yet there he is ever loving, always forgiving.

On a separate issue - I am always a little hesitant in using 'scripture reference' to prove authenticity of scripture. (all scripture is God breathed etc)
I do not doubt the that this is true, but it is a little academically faulty to use in defense of inspiration of scripture as it comes from scripture.
I wait in anticipation for the 'do not take the grace argument too far' responses.

Cheers from Australia

Cheers Brother!

I agree with your comments. What God wants is our obedience not our religious piety or practices.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jman
Member # 6732

Icon 19 posted      Profile for jman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us not presume to know the mind of God or reduce his working to our finite concepts. Grace is a wonderful thing, I wake up each day and I am immersed in it. I think it is wonderful that people strive to read scriptures and surround themselves with worship music, long may it continue, but....
There is nothing we can do that will make him love us anymore. (God's favour if you like)Nothing!!!
I have lived a life that is littered with mistakes, a number of large ones and many 'smaller' regular ones and wouldn't you knoe it, he continues to love me, to forgive me and if I look at the good fortune of my life I could say that he continues to show me favour. You see, the way I see it, I have never been able to hack the entire Holy life issue, God knows I try and yet there he is ever loving, always forgiving.

On a separate issue - I am always a little hesitant in using 'scripture reference' to prove authenticity of scripture. (all scripture is God breathed etc)
I do not doubt the that this is true, but it is a little academically faulty to use in defense of inspiration of scripture as it comes from scripture.
I wait in anticipation for the 'do not take the grace argument too far' responses.

Cheers from Australia

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Posts: 35 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IAAFOTL
Advanced Member
Member # 6414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IAAFOTL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you really cut out a lot of my post.
And have turned Hebrews 4:12 into me "worshipping the Bible." Not really sure how you can come to such a judgment/conclusion.

Hebrews 4:12

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

Also, God inhabits the praises of His people, so naturally we would be closer to Him, as we draw near to Him and Him to us through worship. We enter His gates with thanksgiving and enter His courts with praise.

Psalm 100:4

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name."

Jesus said that hour is coming, and now is that the Father will search for true worshippers, those that will worship Him in spirit and in truth.

John 4:23-24
"But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

I really do not see how you can determine to stay "plugged in" or teach others to do so, when you have "pulled the plug" on the two main ways to fellowship and sup with the Lord.

PS. I already said I did not agree with the OP that we receive "brownie points". But those that do it with a pure heart (not looking for brownie points) will grow, those that don't won't.
The flesh is at war with the spirit, therefore it is imperative that we feed the one we want to live.

Galatians 5:16-18
"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please."

Romans 8:13

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
quote:

I do agree with you that we do not receive "brownie points" for reading the Word or listening to praise music, however, we do receive Spiritual Food, through it, and it is NEVER a bad thing. Not to mention, God speaks to us through His Word, which is living and active at all times. If we expect to win the war between our flesh and spirit, we need to feed the one we want to live.

God bless.

Well, you have apparently been taught the Bible is "Alive" and "...active...", and "...the only inspired Word of God...", etc., etc. IMO you sound like you are worshipping the Bible. While it is our primary guide book if we didn't have it God would find another way to speak to us. The writers of the Bible are not the only writers God ever inspired and David was not the only musician God ever inspired. God can even speak directly to us today if we will listen - that is except for those who believe God inspired the Bible then shut His mouth.

Music IS music. You're talking about lyrics. It was God who created music. And yes, there are those who put unholy lyrics to music.

As to the OP she sounds like she may be getting caught up in the Christian religion. If reading the Bible helps one grow then read it. If listening to worship makes one feel closer to God then listen. But don't expect extra credit for doing those things. God isn't interested in our Christian Religion habits. What He wants is our obedience. And, except for the Great Commission, we all have different assignments at different times from the Lord. So we need to stay plugged in to Him ("Pray without ceasing") to get then carry out our assignments as His soldiers. [/QB]

--------------------
Study to show yourself approved, a workman unto God who needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
_ ____ _
My screen name stands for "I am a Friend of The Lord's"

Posts: 64 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sevenlamps
Advanced Member
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sevenlamps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love your questions Eden. They really help me dig a little deeper. When the bible says heart it is not talking about our physical blood pump. It is referring to our spirit nature. The bible says,'The spirit of man is the lamp of the Lord'. When we delight ourselves in the Lord, He lights our lamp. With our spiritual lamps lit we know what to desire from the Lord. This is more like a flow out of our spirit, like enjoying standing under a shower for cleansing, or enjoying a light source at night so we can see what's there.

--------------------
Don't grieve the Holy Spirit

Posts: 63 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, sevenlamps, you said:

“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you..... Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.”

Eden here:

Exactly, sevenlamps. I am sure that the LORD God of heaven is FULLY AWARE of WHO IS DOING WHAT IN HIS FAMILY OF GOD among the adopted sons and daughters redeemed from the earth thru Jesus of Nazareth.

And I would think that the Father draws near to them who DRAW NEAR TO GOD, as the Word of God says above. Then He will give us the desires of our heart.

If I may ask you, sevenlamps, what do you think the LORD means by “give us the desires of our heart” after we have drawn near to God? Any idea?

With love in Him,
Eden

sevenlamps
Advanced Member
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sevenlamps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.....Pray with the understanding and pray in the Spirit,sing in the understanding and sing in the Spirit.....Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

--------------------
Don't grieve the Holy Spirit

Posts: 63 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
quote:

I do agree with you that we do not receive "brownie points" for reading the Word or listening to praise music, however, we do receive Spiritual Food, through it, and it is NEVER a bad thing. Not to mention, God speaks to us through His Word, which is living and active at all times. If we expect to win the war between our flesh and spirit, we need to feed the one we want to live.

God bless.

Well, you have apparently been taught the Bible is "Alive" and "...active...", and "...the only inspired Word of God...", etc., etc. IMO you sound like you are worshipping the Bible. While it is our primary guide book if we didn't have it God would find another way to speak to us. The writers of the Bible are not the only writers God ever inspired and David was not the only musician God ever inspired. God can even speak directly to us today if we will listen - that is except for those who believe God inspired the Bible then shut His mouth.

Music IS music. You're talking about lyrics. It was God who created music. And yes, there are those who put unholy lyrics to music.

As to the OP she sounds like she may be getting caught up in the Christian religion. If reading the Bible helps one grow then read it. If listening to worship music makes one feel closer to God then listen. But don't expect extra credit for doing those things. God isn't interested in our Christian Religion habits. What He wants is our obedience. And, except for the Great Commission, we all have different assignments at different times from the Lord. So we need to stay plugged in to Him ("Pray without ceasing") to get then carry out our assignments as His soldiers. [/QB]

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

quote:

God bless. [/QB]

As to the OP she sounds like she may be getting caught up in the Christian religion. If reading the Bible helps one grow then read it. If listening to worship makes one feel closer to God then listen. But don't expect extra credit for doing those things. God isn't interested in our Christian Religion habits. What He wants is our obedience. And, except for the Great Commission, we all have different assignments at different times from the Lord. So we need to stay plugged in to Him ("Pray without ceasing") to get then carry out our assignments as His soldiers.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we are rewarded spiritualy when we read and study the Bible. We are given inspiration, illumination,and revelation. In singing we are given the same thing. I don't think God rewards us with material things so that we are aware of it. Other wise it would be like going to the bank. I think Christians were to be like Christ, and when we read the Gospels, it is expressed just how tired and weary Jesus became during the three years of His ministry. If we are like Him we aren't looking for things, but are looking to serve others. Now saying this, God is good and He does give us many things, I am just not sure they are a reward.
Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, IAAFOTL. You said:

“I do agree with you {Chaplain Bob} that we do not receive ‘brownie points’ for reading the Word or listening to praise music, however, we do receive Spiritual Food, through it, and that is NEVER a bad thing.”

Eden here:

Well, I still wonder whether we receive “brownie points” for reading God’s Word and listening to worship music, or not. I look at it this way.

Adam and Eve were made in the image of God and we descendants of Adam and Eve live in families. And God also lives in a family which I call the Family of God.

Now we who are saved are adopted sons and daughters of God and are now members of the Family of God. Now, I don’t know about you, IAAFOTL, but when my son or daughters does things that are right and helpful and cooperative in my family, then I reward them and encourage them and even may give them presents and extend favor to them for being a contributing, good member of the family.

Likewise, if I have a son or a daughter who is a member of my family but he or she is making some bad choices, and won’t be encouraging or rewarding that behavior and I won’t be giving any presents out any time soon.

I wonder then, since we are made in the image and likeness of God, when we are being goodly and contributing Family members who faithfully “work in the Family Business” (“I must be about my Father’s business”), will God not notice that and reward and encourage that behavior and will not His heart be moved especially toward that son or daughter who is doing that which is right in the Family? I think He would.

And isn’t seeing His children reading the Word of God and listening to praise music and helping with spreading the good news of the kingdom of God, just the kind of things God loves the most? I would think so…

With love in Him,
Eden

IAAFOTL
Advanced Member
Member # 6414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IAAFOTL   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you don't mind my saying so brother Bob, but your response to Eden had kind of a nasty tone to it.

She may be a little off in her summization, but your reply was not only somewhat unBiblical, again it was pretty impatient, and curt.

The Bible IS the ONLY inspired Word of God given to man. Not that other men and women cannot write inspired writings, but the Bible is ALIVE and is God given for the purposes of instruction, correction, exhortation, equipment, etc., but we do have to be careful when we look to other writers. Because if we do not know the Word of God and know it well, we can be deceived by others so called inspired writings. The Bible is the ultimate authority by which any writings, teachings, preachings, prophecies etc., must be judged by. It is the authority that we test and try the spirits to see if they are of God.

You accused her of being extreme when she spoke of music that wasn't praise music being of the devil. (I refuse to call him "Lucifer" for two reasons, 1)He lost his angelic name when he fell 2)Jesus NEVER called him that. He called him Satan. That is his fallen name.

I think you went the other extreme by saying that "music is music". That is completely untrue.

Satan was a minister of music. He was the most beautiful of Cherubs and he had instruments exhuming from his angelic body. He was the praise and worship leader in heaven. No, not all secular music is of satan, but there is plenty that can be found that are full of the devil's purposes. It doesn't have to sound satanic to be evil. Think of a couple of "nice" songs from the 80's for instance, like "Secret lovers" and "Saving all my love for you" both of those songs sound pretty, but they are about adultery.

God bless.

--------------------
Study to show yourself approved, a workman unto God who needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. 2 Timothy 2:15
_ ____ _
My screen name stands for "I am a Friend of The Lord's"

Posts: 64 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

quote:
Hi, Chaplain Bob. You said, among other things:

“Reading the Bible and listening to worship music is part of the Christian religion. God is not interested in our Christian religion as He did not establish it.”

Eden here:

So, Chaplain Bob, are you saying that since God is not interested in Christian religion, that therefore God cannot be interested in Bible reading and in worship music?

Do you think God would rather hear Lucifer's worldly music than music praising God and praising His Son Jesus? I think God would love praise music, wouldn't you?

And wouldn't God want us to find out about Him in the Bible where ALONE it is WRITTEN about Him? Even Jesus often said, "It is written" and "haven't you read"?

"If I don't praise Him, the rocks are going to cry out".

with love,
Eden

I'm saying our Bible reading and singing worship music does not earn us any Brownie points with the Lord. What He wants is our obedience.

Music is music. All music that does not have "worship" lyrics is NOT Lucifer's music. You go to an extreme here and come off sounding "holier- than-thou".

And the Bible is NOT the only place where we may learn about God. He did not inspire the Scripture and then shut His mouth. He is perfectly capable of inspiring other writers and communicating directly with us.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Eden
unregistered

Hi, Aaron. You said:

“If this is true then what would His favor look like?”

Good question. I think that God’s favor would show up in “the desires of my heart” and in “whatsover my soul lusts after”, God will provide the best of the best of everything for me, within and exceeding my budget.

Malachi 3:10
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in My house, and prove Me now herewith, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it all.

Do I have only $15 for shoes? God will find me the best shoe buy somewhere for $15. Even unique things, God provides me with.

When God sees a Family Member (as adopted sons and daughters of God we are now in the Family of God) and God sees it and likes it when an adopted Family Member tries to read His Word and Learn about Him. God likes Family Members whom He sees participate in helping saving people. In my opinion, God helps them get the best in all situations.

There are setbacks, but even in them God blesses with little best things.

That’s my experience of Him, anyway. Does He see me picking up and reading the Bible? Yes. Does He know that I play worship music only? Yes. Does He like to see this in His adopted sons and daughters. Absolutely. Does He take them out for a special treat? Absolutely:

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the LORD: and He shall give you the desires of your heart.

Deuteronomy 14:26
And you shall bestow that money for whatsoever your soul lusts after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or [b]for whatsoever your soul desires: and you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you, and your household.

God does everything well:

Mark 7:37
And they were beyond measure astonished, saying, He has done all things well

Aaron, to repeat your good question:

“If this is true then what would His favor look like?”

I think the favors would look like daily just-in-time and "best" blessings every day, now matter where I went, and in every thing I do.

Exodus 20:6
And showing mercy to thousands of them who love Me, and keep My commandments.

with love in Christ,
Eden

Eden
unregistered

Hi, Chaplain Bob. You said, among other things:

“Reading the Bible and listening to worship music is part of the Christian religion. God is not interested in our Christian religion as He did not establish it.”

Eden here:

So, Chaplain Bob, are you saying that since God is not interested in Christian religion, that therefore God cannot be interested in Bible reading and in worship music?

Do you think God would rather hear Lucifer's worldly music than music praising God and praising His Son Jesus? I think God would love praise music, wouldn't you?

And wouldn't God want us to find out about Him in the Bible where ALONE it is WRITTEN about Him? Even Jesus often said, "It is written" and "haven't you read"?

"If I don't praise Him, the rocks are going to cry out".

with love,
Eden

Eden
unregistered

Ok, I like tears. In a way I think you are right about that becauseHElives, because there have few-to-medium times when what I was praying about suddenly took me into a weeping level with God and the prayer. And at those times I had always thought, "now this is the kind of prayer God can related to".

And, regarding Bible reading and worship music, they can and do lead us to weeping worship and prayer. I remember singing "I Will Celebrate" one evening and suddenly I was weeping and weeping on that song. But now when I sing it, I usually do not weep, but I remember that song now with different eyes, it is one of the
songs that made me weep in Him.

And I think Bible reading, "these words are LIFE" can do the same thing to us, bringing us to PASSION with Him.

With love,
Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Yahweh extends favor to anyone seeking after Him be it reading the Bible, worshiping in song, praying or weeping, as long as its done whole heartedly?

What does “favor” look like…it look like Yeshua….

Psa 56:8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: [are they] not in thy book?

I’m not sure about Bible reading and listening to music but I know Yahweh pays attention to our prayer and tears…..
Psa 126:5
They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Tears got Hezekiah fifteen years….
Isa 38:5
Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years

Tear got this man a miracle….
Mar 9:24
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Reading the Bible and listening to worship music is part of the Christian religion. God is not interested in our Christian religion as He did not establish it. We can do nothing other than walk in obedience to Him that will impress Him. And we certainly don't earn Brownie points for what we do. God has already rewarded us with eternal life because of, and in spite of, who we are because He loves us. Any rewards we may receive in eternity are directly related to our obedience.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Will the Lord extend favor to them whom He sees reading the Bible or listening regularly to Christian worship music?

If this is true then what would His favor look like?

Aaron

lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that people reading the Bible or listening to Christian worship music alone would be enough for God to give extend favor to...it all depends...

I believe that God does take note, not of just reading the Bible but rather also if one believes in the Word or not, and follows what is written in it or not...what good does it do to just read it and then turn away from the Word?!...

And people can listen to Christian worship music and even sing along and yet not really worship the Lord at all!...

God knows every people's heart, He knows when one is sincere or not...

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Is the Lord looking down and taking note of who is reading the Bible and of who is listening regularly to worship music?

Do you think, like I think, that the Lord takes note of it when He sees us read the Bible, and if so, what happens then?

Will the Lord extend favor to them whom He sees reading the Bible or listening regularly to Christian worship music?

Will the Lord extend favor to them for so doing, or not?

with love in Christ,
Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement