Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » God Does Not Accept Sinners “As They Are”

Author Topic: God Does Not Accept Sinners “As They Are”
Kwistina
Advanced Member
Member # 6618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kwistina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Preaching a weak christianity based on a wimpy interpretation of Christ!! I do seriously think some people have a wimpy version of Christ in mind, the "goody two shoes". My favorite Jesus passage (I am much chagrined to admit this) is when Jesus tells the pharisees they are "whitewashed sepulchres". I equate this with cosmetically altered corpses. It really is kinda gross. And it was Jesus who said it!

Great book (if not a little dated) "Your God is Too Small" by J.B. Phillips. I want to say he wrote it in the 60's, but it still applies today. It goes over the typical fallacious views people use to "limit" God and box him in.

The point is, if you want a stronger Christianity, start by improving the people's image of Christ. He must be a hero in their eyes in order to inspire heroism from them.

Posts: 38 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been looking back through the older posts and found this one. It is interesting because of things i have said in recent post, which might sound like they dissagree with this particular one (lol, which i was unaware of). So i just want to speak to this one in agreement.

I have come to the point where i don't play around about it. Folks out there are preaching to people, telling them that they are ok as they are. They are preaching a weak Christianity that tells others that they may come as they are and if they do so they will get a ticket that they can put into their pocket that they can present on judgement day. That ticket would be Jesus.

The problem is that Jesus wants you of course, but He doesn't want you if you don't want to change (be changed is more correct). Salvation is a free gift, but no-one is telling that it costs everything. That may sound like an oxymoron, but some things sound that way to the uninitiated. It costs you everything to come to Him. Salvation if free, but He has to do away with the old. The old is like filthy rags. Of course you should want to be rid of it. You are not purchasing anything with your surrender, rather you are trashing the old and accepting the new, free gift. That is required for entering the Kingdom of God.

There is always time to repent if you did not see it this way. Life begins with surrender.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David...you know what I am afraid of?...
God knows how much I have been trying since I have accepted Jesus as my Saviour, but what if He finds that I haven't tried to or changed enough?...I know that I still sin eventhough I do not want to, but it sure isn't easy to stop every sinning that I may be guilty of... [Frown]

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, David. You said:

"You MUST BE BORN AGAIN. You are not saved unless you are born again. You can come to Jesus as you are, but then you must be born again."

Eden here:

If we come to Jesus as we are, how are we born again?

If someone believes that Jesus died for their sins and that Jesus was the Son of God, then that person automatically becomes bornagain.

I was wondering, David. Paul spoke of the carnal Corinthians as brethren which I assume means Christians:

1 Corinthians 3

1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

3 For you are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal, and walk as men?

Eden here:

David, does Paul still consider these carnal Corinthians brethren which presumably means Christians, or does Paul lo longer consider them Christians?

Thanks, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, oneinchrist. You said a lot in your last block paragraph, so I picked out this part from your last post:

“Just try to imagine it...have any of you ever loved someone so much and didnt get it back in return....doesnt that cause your heart to suffer?”

Eden here:

But Jesus did NOT receive that kind of response of not being loved back all that often; more often people glorified and were amazed and were astonished, and many of the disciples and those who believed Jesus was the Messiah must have LOVE JESUS BIG TIME.

He had MANY friends and loved ones, like Mary and Martha and Lazarus and formerly blind Bartolomeus and others.

To repeat now what you said, oneinchrist:

“Just try to imagine it...have any of you ever loved someone so much and didn’t get it back in return....doesn’t that cause your heart to suffer?”

That will depend on how much I’m being loved by others in Israel, and there were many who loved Him.

Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am truly thankful that God has brought believers into my life that have forced me to examine my heart before God. I lived most of my life as a believer only by words. I had not allowed the Words of Christ to rule my heart. Basically , I lived for myself ( to be honest). I have come to an understanding that the Lord wants our obedience that stems from a gratefullness and thankfullness for what He has done. Im tired of people saying over and over again that we are not saved by our works. While it is true in one context it is not true in another. In order to come into the presence of the almighty God, our sin needs to be covered and we cannot provide that ourselves, however, if we do not do the works that Christ has commanded (our response to Gods grace) we do not have faith. If we do not express faith in Christ, shall we receive the atonement? If we do not follow Christ shall we receive eternal life? You see when Paul spoke of works, he spoke of works of the flesh and religious tradition; Ways that men would try and appear righteous before other men. When Jesus taught He taught us the required works of the heart if we are to be followers of His. Should any of us expect to be given Heavenly reward if we do not forgive? Should any of us expect to receive Heavenly reward if we do not show mercy, but are judgemental and full of pride. We discover through the gospels that there are conditions for salvation, yes, the conditions that are set forth by the Lord Jesus the living Son of God...and not by men. We all do have a question to ask ourselves....are we willing to suffer in this life by following the One who suffered for us? The Gift may be called free, but it certainly requires commitment of the heart toward God. I see how people translate the gift = free when they do math with Pauls words. But the truth is that grace is grace and Gods grace is shown in that Jesus died while we were yet sinners. Now Paul emphazises faith as a gift of God, but Peter, James, and John balance out the scriptures by showing that not only is it a gift of God, but also the response of man towards God that completes the picture of faith. There is God the Father who initiated the plan, the Son who carried out the will of the father, and man who must come into agreement with the Father and the Son. When we have said "yes Lord, your will not mine", then the Holy Spirit receives legal authority by the Father and Son to minister on our behalf. Now, the Holy Spirit will only act in strict accordance with the will of God, so it is imperative that we do put on the proper motives. In a nutshell it is committing our will to Gods will so that whatever God may require of us we are willing to face knowing that souls are at stake. In a sense it is allowing ourselves to become allys for Gods kingdom growth. Now Jesus says He that endures to the end shall be saved. This must mean that we cannot lose our sights on Gods will and be sucked back into the worlds agenda. We must continue the course keeping our eyes fixed on the Lord Jesus. This truth is one reason why I believe the once saved, always saved debate is foolishness because our confession is not a one time confession but a lifelong confession whereas we need to remain loyal to the One who saves. Now as far as sin is concerned I believe that there needs to be some kind of a balance where we are not passive about sin, but we are also not so prideful as to think we are sinless ( without need of repentance). Yes, Hebrews is scary that is why I so much agree with Texas Grandma who says..."why take the risk by seeing how much you can get away with?" In a sense its like tempting God if you really think about it. We need to understand the sufferings of our Lord as to discourage the passivity towards sin. To share with you guys one of my stongest convictions as it has to do with the Lords suffering. I believe that the Lords heart was so burning with sorrow as He loved so much, but was spit on and ridiculed in return. Just try to imagine it...have any of you ever loved someone so much and didnt get it back in return....doesnt that cause your heart to suffer? Now, imagine how that suffering would be multiplied if you loved with a perfect love and were rejected. I watched the Mel Gibson movie about Jesus and what really caught my attention was not all the thrashing, but it was what happened just prior to it....when Jesus was before the authorities and being questioned. He was asked a question that if He spoke the truth it would put Him to the cross. It was that moment of silence in between the question and Jesus answer that my heart leapt and said "my God, my God, if He speaks the truth He will send himself to the cross!" My friends in the Lord, that is the love of God, to go to all lengths in order to make a way for us to come into His Holy presence. Now how should we view sin? With love in Christ, Daniel
Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus said a man must be born again to be acceptable unto God! (John 3:3). Jesus said a sinner must repent or else he would perish! (Luke 13:3) Jesus said only the pure in heart, not the sinful in heart, would see God! (Matt 5:8) Peter did not preach a sinner-accepting-god! Peter said that God resists the proud! Peter said God accepts only the humble! (1Peter 5:5-6) The proud must humble themselves to be accepted by God. Jesus is “the author of eternal salvation” only to “them that obey Him”! (Heb 5:9)

You MUST BE BORN AGAIN. You are not saved unless you are born again. You can come to Jesus as you are, but then you must be born again. If you want to think you are saved because you raise your hand, say a prayer, walk the isles and you continue in your sin and are never born again you are going to face God on judgement day and YOU will have to pay for your sins as you never met Jesus and you were NEVER born again. So if you have done the above things and you have not changed or are not changing you better reevaluate where you stand with God. Eterenity is for ever and ever and you should not live another day without giving your life to Jesus. When you do this you will be born again. If you fake it you will not and will spend eternity in hell (you know if your faking or not). NOW THAT IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

[Big Grin]

Just felt like preaching today.

I really don't want anyone to go to hell because someone has watered down the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pray it is soon. I am physically and emotionally tired. It is not just about getting a new body but just so tired of how mankind has become so cruel to one another and the way the world has turned so anti-Christian.
I understand about the humor. My husband has a dry sense of humor and it took awhile to get used to it, but like your said it is hard to get humor across the keyboard.
God bless you,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,
I'm doing well, highly favored and blessed,
I hope you and your famly are the same.

I'm not mad about anything,
so an apology is not necessary,
but since already extended it is accepted.

You said you have become more mellow,
I don't know if I've mellowed any,
but I try harder to remember that on these boards people only see the black and white of what comes off the keyboard.

In real life I am often sarcastic and play on words to get a laugh, and no one ever seems to get upset with me, laughing at the remarks.

I found out it doesn't often work out from the keyboard,
usually backfires.

I know we differ on how we think HE is coming,
but we know Jesus is coming,
and signs point to soon.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T7
How are you doing? It is cool that we actually agree on something. Let me give you at this moment my apology, for anytime I have dealt with you in an unChristian matter. I realize that I can become passionate about things, but although my views have not changed, I have become more mellow. I realize that Jesus is coming soon and I would like to make amends to you. I don't won't you to be mad at me when we get to Heaven. [Big Grin]
May God bless and keep you.
betty [hug]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, "PLOW ON" [thumbsup2]

Eden, I understand what you are saying;
I doubt David overlooked that. [clap2]

TEXASGRANDMA, I find myself in agreement with you twice today [Kiss]
This hasn't happend since we had people wanting to tear Proverbs, and Peter and Paul's letters out of the Bible.

I remember that poster saying we (T7 and Betty)
had a "mob mentality".
I didn't post it, but thought to myself,
"he doesn't know us very well, do he."

love in Jesus
T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I am so happy for you. It sounds like you have a job that you like and you can actually serve God on your job. That is indeed a blessing.
betty

--------------------

lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jesus did His part and He is offering salvation, but we cannot say a "simple" prayer and walk off still living in sin and be saved. We have to repent and turn from our sins. I believe that there are Churches and not all, who teach that salvation is as simple as saying the sinner's prayer but they forget to add the turning away from our sins. Yes salvation is free, but living the Christian walk takes sacrifice. Jesus said for us to pick up our cross. Jesus said we will be hated for our faith. Never did He say that we would be loved and appreciate and live in a bed of roses.

I soooo agree with you Betty, for many things that you have said...except for the bed of roses....Jesus may never have said that, but Betty, I really think that I have found a little bed of roses on this earth!...For the very first time in my life, I really feel loved and appreciated for the work that I do for the elderly people at the Home where I work!...Believe me, this is huge stuff for me!...The pay is bad but hey, who cares about that!...I talk about Jesus there quite often, and people actually listen to me!... [Smile] [clap2] [hug]

Do they agree?...I don't know but at least, they do listen...

I think that the sacrifices we need to do is simply stop sinning, stop being so stubborn about this!...it starts right there!...

For example, when I do my job right at the Home, the way my boss wants me to do, but especially how my Real Boss (God) I think, would want me to do, everything is so wonderful and peaceful!...I love it there!...It all depends how you treat others...show some respect and you will be respected back...there are exceptions though, but don't play that nasty game with others if that is how they want to treat you, it isn't worth it...show kindness to others and they will treat you with kindness...My boss at my work place, unfortunately has a very bad habit...she sometimes screams at some of her employees when she is not satisfied with their work...but she never does that with me...she knows that I will not scream at anyone and that I will not accept being screamed at...I am soooo far from being perfect and I may never be, but I always try to do the best that I can...

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I believe there is a bit of lost of communication here.
I believe we come to Jesus just as we are, but if we accept the gift of salvation, we will not leave the same way. Those who leave the same way have left the gift of salvation behind. Kind of like if I go to my mom and say I need $100 and she gives it to me, if I walk away and leave the money behind, though my mom did her part, I am still broke.
Jesus did His part and He is offering salvation, but we cannot say a "simple" prayer and walk off still living in sin and be saved. We have to repent and turn from our sins. I believe that there are Churches and not all, who teach that salvation is as simple as saying the sinner's prayer but they forget to add the turning away from our sins. Yes salvation is free, but living the Christian walk takes sacrifice. Jesus said for us to pick up our cross. Jesus said we will be hated for our faith. Never did He say that we would be loved and appreciate and live in a bed of roses.
betty

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Hi, David. I don't think that people need to "clean themselves up" before they are saved.

Salvation, or justification, is 100% free just by believing that Jesus was the Son of God of Israel, the Son of Psalm 2:12.

Romans 3:24
Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

After salvation/justification, comes sanctification, where our interests are changed over from loving the world to loving the things of the LORD, like the Word of God and listening to the Holy Spirit, and praying to Him. That change is sanctification.

But, before salvation/justification, there had to repentance.

But repent of what? Is it not repentance of doing things our soulish way and agreeing that it is better for us to listen to God talk to us through the Holy Spirit.

We hear the word of reconciliation, and we repent of doing things our own way and we say, yes, Lord, I see now, my life will go better if I listen to YOU, I will therefor turn from my soulish ways and begin to learn YOUR ways.

And that is repentance; a decision to do things God's way and no longer do things my soulish way.

Repentance is NOT cleaning myself up first BEFORE salvation/justification, but repentance is me changing my mind of WHO is going to be IN CHARGE, me, or God. When I decide (smartly) for God, then I have repented from doing things my own way. That is repentance. At that point I become saved and am automatically justified freely and there is “therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

When Jesus met the woman at the well by Sychar, Jesus told her she had had five husbands and that the sixth man she now had was not even her husband. Jesus did NOT say, “Now, first go clean yourself up and marry the guy, and THEN come and talk to Me.” Not at all.

When the woman and the rest of the people of Sychar believed, they were immediately saved/justified 100%. Now, they were NOT sanctified, because sanctification or “change of interests” happens AFTER we are saved/justified 100%, NOT BEFORE.

Some saved/justified Christian people become more sanctified than others, and they shall have rewards.

To summarize, brother David, repentance does NOT mean that we have to CLEAN OURSELVES UP FIRST, but repentance means “changing our minds about who is going to be in charge, me or God in me. Once I repent of “doing things my own way like Adam and Eve did”, then I am automatically saved=justified freely:

Romans 3:24
Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

But in the beginning after my repentance and salvation=justification, began sanctification, or the “becoming interested in the things of God" and being less interested in the things of the world. Repentance is a DECISION who we will listen to, not a CLEANINGUP of our own selves. THAT is sanctification.

Thanks for listening,
Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi David,
Its nice to meet you. I sense that you speak with a hatred against sin which I believe is attainable through a good understanding of repentance, a fear of the Lord, and a genuine acceptance of the love of Christ with a heartfelt awareness of His sufferings to destroy the power of sin. Even though I say that we cannot escape sin in this life, I believe that scripture is clear that we should aggressively avoid it. I agree with you that the abuse of grace is common even in churches. I think a healty hatred of sin is something needed for us to become effective witnesses for the Lord...as long as it is balanced properly with humility. Humility calls on the Lord for continuous guidance and discernment. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that strongholds are brought down and testimonies are built. If we think that we by our own selves are master over evil, we will be overcome by it. Thank you for the post. I hope it encourages many to a healthy hatred of sin. With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:

GOD DOES NOT ACCEPT SINNERS AS THEY ARE!
Nothing can be a more false message, a greater distortion of God, then telling sinners that, “God accepts you as you are” and that “sinners must not do anything to be saved”. That is simply not true!

These itching ear preachers exchange the truth of God for a lie and appeal to the sinful desires of men - easing the consciences of those yet in their sin, by declaring that God accepts them “as they are” and that they must not do anything in order to be saved.

I think this is a misinterpretation of the words, "God accepts you the way you are." Of course he does, but through our confession we become a changed person, which is the next step. So on that same note, maybe the words of these 'itching ears preachers' are being taken out of context. [Confused]

Look at the woman at the well. Jesus didn't tell her to go away and come back another day, whenever she had a chance to clean up her act. She gave her living water there right at the point of her need and said "Go and sin no more."

Look at Paul's conversion. Jesus came after him, warts and all. When Jesus first spoke to him Paul was on a mission to destroy believers, both men and women, by bringing them back to Jerusalem in chains. To make a long story short, Paul was told that he was Jesus' chosen instrument, and he was later converted and filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul didn't have to fill out a resume. Jesus accepted him the way he was.

Jesus is ready to take the vilest sinner - right now.
Isaiah 64: We are constant sinners; how can people like us be saved? 6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds,they are nothing but filthy rags

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Gordon
Community Member
Member # 6612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Gordon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother David; the bible tells us in Matthew 6:24 that you cannot serve both God and mammon (money).It also tells us in John 5:22, that all judgement is given unto the son. It says in John 12:48; he that rejects Christ and receives not his word shall have one that will judge him. God's word (bible) will judge him in the last days. It's appointed unto man once to die and then comes the judgement (Hebrews 9:27). Brother David these men that you are talking about have become a impediment or stubbling block to the word of God. In his own time and own way he will take them out of the way so that judgement (word) can flow like rivers of water (Amos 5:24). Listen, the lord always reserves unto himself seven thousand men (remnant) that won't bow their knees to the image of baal (stuff).
Posts: 13 | From: Fort Smith Arkansas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Does Not Accept Sinners “As They Are”
Sinners Must “Do Something To Be Saved”!

“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch though in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.” 2Timothy 4:3-5

Many have turned away from sound doctrine, seeking fables that gratify themselves. Our holy Christianity is being replaced with a sinning Christendom. The marvelous transformation of heart and life is being replaced with a make believe covering of present and future sins. This false gospel leaves men comfortable in their sin, with an imaginary forgiveness, rather then calls me to leave their sin, making it possible for actual forgiveness.

It is with great zeal and urgency that we must seek to recover the lost gospel of repentance towards God and faith in Jesus Christ. It is with great anguish of heart and painfulness of soul that I perceive our most precious gospel under vicious fire, as many centuries of false and dangerous theology has paved the way to a complete denial of the call of the true gospel.

TODAYS DANGERS OF A FALSE GOD WITH A FALSE GOSPEL

Today, many friendly, popular, big name preachers are just plain old fashion liars. The worst of lies can come from those who appear to be the best of men. In this era of apostasy, as in the former days of darkness, the worst of men are considered the best of men, while the best of men are considered to be the worst of men. These itching ear preachers exchange the truth of God for a lie and appeal to the sinful desires of men - easing the consciences of those yet in their sin, by declaring that God accepts them “as they are” and that they must not do anything in order to be saved.

My bible shows me that the preachers that the multitudes accept are the preachers the God Himself rejects, and the preachers that the multitudes reject are the preachers that God Himself accepts. The same preachers who declare to sinners, “God accepts you as you are” are the same preachers that God does not accept as they are. The same preachers who declare, “You cannot do anything to be saved” are the same preachers who are not doing what they must do in order to be saved!

God’s preachers are almost never popular and accepted, because we live in a sinful world with a backslidden Church. God’s preachers are often thrust out of the synagogues and locked up in the prisons. Those with an intolerant message towards sin, from a God who is intolerant of sin, will not be tolerated by those who want to remain in their sin! Religious sinners always consider preachers of repentance and holiness as “unsound” and “unorthodox”, even as “heretics”. Religious sinners crying out, “crucify him! Crucify him!” when they hear a “preacher of righteousness” (2Pet 2:5) cry out “Repent! Repent!”

“Thus says the Lord of host, hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophecy unto you; they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord. They say still unto them that despite me, The Lord hath said, ye shall have peace; and they say unto everyone that walks after the imagination of his own heart, no evil shall come upon you. For who hath stood in the counsel of the Lord, and hath perceived and heard his word? Who hath marked his word, and heard it?” Jeremiah 23:16-18

A false teacher will tell God’s enemies that God is at peace with them; telling sinners that God does not see their sin (Heb 4:13, Jeremiah 23:24) and that their sin will not harm them. (Isaiah 48:22, Isaiah 57:21)

“I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied. But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.” Jeremiah 23:21-22

A true prophet will tell God’s enemies that they must turn from their sin; a true prophet is a preacher of repentance and holiness, a preacher of righteousness, not an excuser of sinfulness and backslidings! Those who stand in God’s counsel will know God, and will not misrepresent God or His requirements, but will tell sinners exactly what God wants them to do in order to be saved.

The true word of God is sharper then a “double edged sword” (Heb 4:12), being as a burning “fire”, or as a “hammer breaking” into pieces hard hearts (Jer 23:29), but the words of false prophets are “lightness” (Jer 23:32) and “fair speeches” that are deceptive a destructive (Rom 16:18), with their messages of “peace, peace” for the wicked. (Isaiah 48:22, 57:21)

All over Christian radio, Christian TV; in Christian magazines and Christian books; from pulpits all over Christian Churches; from podiums in Christian Seminaries and Christian Colleges, false – fable – fairy tales are being preached about a false – fable – fairy tale god! This demonic god, this sin accepting god, this mamby pampy, soft, sin-overlooking god, with a soul destroying gospel, accepts all sinners as they are - not requiring of them anything in order to be saved! Some have gone even further by saying that it is not only acceptable to God for sinners to have sin in their lives, but that it is also accepted to God for Christians to have sin in their lives! This god is lawless; this gospel is the old dreadful heresy of antinomianism! And it’s poisoning the veins of the Church at an increasingly ramped rate, killing the holy spiritual life of the body!

The God of the bible does not tolerate sin. God’s problem with mankind is that mankind has been at war with His Sovereign Will of holiness and righteousness by being disobedient and wicked. A rebellion against the Sovereign Will of God is what the fall and sinfulness of man is. To deny a rebellion against God’s Sovereign Will is a denial of the fall and sinfulness of man, or is the blasphemy that God Sovereign Will is for men to sin and to do evil, but such a god is not the Holy God of the bible. The actual, real, and genuine Sovereign Will of God is that sinners, “sin no more” (John 5:14, John 8:11, Eph 4:28) And sinners resist and reject this Will, being at war with and rebellion against the Sovereign of the Universe, despising and trampling under foot God’s holy and good plan for their life (Matthew 23:37, Luke 7:30), which holiness and godliness is the very purpose for their existence! (Eph 1:4)

GOD DOES NOT ACCEPT SINNERS AS THEY ARE!

Nothing can be a more false message, a greater distortion of God, then telling sinners that, “God accepts you as you are” and that “sinners must not do anything to be saved”. That is simply not true! That’s a lie! Jesus did not preach such a god and such a gospel! Jesus said a man must be born again to be acceptable unto God! (John 3:3). Jesus said a sinner must repent or else he would perish! (Luke 13:3) Jesus said only the pure in heart, not the sinful in heart, would see God! (Matt 5:8) Peter did not preach a sinner-accepting-god! Peter said that God resists the proud! Peter said God accepts only the humble! (1Peter 5:5-6) The proud must humble themselves to be accepted by God. Jesus is “the author of eternal salvation” only to “them that obey Him”! (Heb 5:9)

“God accepts you as you are” sinners are told. God accepts who as they are? Does God accept everybody as they are? Does God accept sinners as they are? What does God accept them into? Where does God accept them into? Does God accept them into His family? Never! Not unless they keep His commandments. (1John 3:10) Does God accept them into His Kingdom? Never! Not until they are born again. (John 3:3) Does God accept them into Heaven? Never! Not unless they cease from all their sinning and rebelling in this life. (Rev 22:15) The only thing that God accepts from a sinner is true and total repentance, the complete renunciation of all sin and rebellion. And until then, nothing a sinner does is acceptable, and a sinner is not accepted anywhere except into hell-fire.

If God accepts you as you are, and you must not do anything to be saved, remain a drunkard or a fornicator, remain a sleeper or a sleepermonger, remain a sodomite or a homosexual, remain a transgressor and a sinner, remain a failure and a loser if God accepts you as you are, for there is no reason for you to change. But this is as unbiblical as possibly conceivable: 1Cor 6:9-10, Gal 5:19-21, Rev 21:8. We know that “every transgression and disobedience will receive a just penalty” (Heb 2:2) for those who “neglect so great salvation”. (Heb 2:3)

You cannot be a Christian drug dealer, a Christian murderer, a Christian adulterer, a Christian bank robber, etc; you cannot be a “carnal Christian” or a “sinning saint”. Only Christ-like Christians are in fact Christians, those who name the name of Christ by calling themselves Christians, who actually depart from iniquity, that is, actually turn from sin. (2Tim 2:19) Christians must love righteousness and hate iniquity! (Heb 1:9) Christians “keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.” (1John 3:22)

Irrefutable Scripture tells us, “He that says, I know him, and does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1John 2:4) “We know that whosoever is born of God sins not; but he that is begotten of God keeps himself, and the wicked one touches him not.” (1John 5:18) And, “He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifest, that he might destroy the work of the devil.” (1John 3:8) And, “Whosoever abides in him does not sin: for whosoever sins has not seen him, neither known him.” (1John 3:6) And, “Whosoever transgresses, and abides not in the doctrine of Christ, has not God. He that abides in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.” (2John 1:9)

(( All this is not to say that a Christian may not temporarily fall into sin, or is not capable of backsliding completely. Since the human will is free and contingent, man’s moral character must also be free and contingent, able to change from righteous to evil or evil to righteous at any moment. A Christian, though dead to sin, still has the capacity of sinning, and of backsliding completely and forever, but he must repent or else he will perish.

Some new converts may strongly struggle with sin and backsliding, some more then others depending on their back rounds. They will need to be encouraged to “continue in the faith” (Acts 14:22) and to “continue in the grace of God”. (Acts 13:43) Some disciples have backslidden completely and followed Christ no more. (John 6:66)

Paul told Christians, “For if you live after the flesh, you shall die: but if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, you shall life.” (Romans 8:13) And again Paul told Christians, “For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end.” (Heb 3:14) Paul warned the brethren, “Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.” (Heb 3:12) And again Paul speaks of the punishment of a Christian who falls from sanctification, “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” (Heb 10:29) James says, “For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.” (2Pet 2:21) And James speaks of Christians, “Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; let him know, that ye which converts the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.” (James 5:19-20) The only way one of the Brethren, that becomes a backslider, can escape the death of his soul, is by being reconverted unto obedience to Christ. For Jesus told His disciples, that only repented sins were forgivable sins. (Luke 13:3) ))

But it is the preaching of an all accepting god that has filled our Churches with fornicators, homosexuals, drunkards, sodomites, liars, thieves, backsliders, and all sorts of wickedness and ungodliness. Sinners fill the pews and backsliders occupy the pulpits. God’s house, which is to be a house of prayer, with holy men lifting up holy hands (1Tim 2:8), has turned into a den of sinners!! (Matt 21:13, Mark 11:17, Luke 19:46) While our Church buildings may be full of sin, there can be no sin in God, and those in Him can have no sin, for God takes away our sin! (1John 3:5)

But who is to blame for this darkness and deception within Christendom? Those whom Christ has left as the light of the world are to blame (Matt 5:14), the preachers and true Christians are to blame for not taking a bold and public stand against this false god and this false gospel!

Does this scripture describe a God who accepts everyone as they are? “And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping things, and the fowls of the air, for I repent of making them.” Genesis 6:5-7

Does this sound like the preaching of a God who does not require from sinners anything in order to be saved from his wrath? “Therefore now amend your ways and your dongs, and obey the voice of the Lord your God; and the Lord will repent himself of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.” Jeremiah 26:13

And again, “If that nation, against whom I have pronounced destruction, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; if it does evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them. Now therefore go to speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus says the Lord; behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a devise against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” Jeremiah 18:8-11

Gospel preachers are not the brothers or cousins of secular motivational speakers; we come from a different family all together. Gospel preachers are the descendants of the Hebrew prophets, and I pray we learn from our elders.

It’s clear as daylight that sinners have no problem with preachers preaching the Savior hood of Christ. It is not the Savior sinners are in rebellion against. It’s the Sovereignty of God that sinners are at war with, that is, it’s the Lordship of Christ that sinners are rebelling against! And it is this war, this rebellion, that must cease before pardon and forgiveness can be mercifully and graciously extended by God. (Acts 2:38)

THE “JUST BELIEVE” DECEPTION

The gospel is not merely to be assented to, or intellectually affirmed; but the true gospel requires heart obedience – heart submission – heart surrender (Rom 6:17, Rom 10:16, Phil 2:12, 1Pet 1:22), and those who do not “obey the gospel” will be destroyed when Christ returns. (Rom 2:8, Gal 3:1, Gal 5:7, 2Thes 1:8, 1Pet 4:17) The truth is not only to be believed, but the truth is to be walked in! (2John 1:4) And those who do not walk in the truth, “do not the truth” (1John 1:6), for the truth is not merely to be believed, but it is to be done! Disobedience has always been the problem that our Sovereign has with rebels, and obedience is what the true gospel requires of sinners.

“Just believe! Just believe!” cries the false gospel of “easy believism”. “Romans 10:9! Romans 10:9” is their constant cry. But if these sinners would read on, to Romans 10:10, they would see that it is only those who “believe unto righteousness” that shall be saved. For no one can “believe in your heart” without “believing unto righteousness”!

We must preach the Kingdom, or Government of God! (Luke 4:43, Luke 9:2, Luke 9:60) We must preach the “gospel of the Kingdom”, or the gospel of God’s Government! (Matt 4:23, Matt 9:35, Matt 24:14, Mark 1:14) And in this Kingdom there is a King (1Tim 6:15, Heb 7:1, Rev 17:14, Rev 19:16), and this King sent His son to die for his rebellious citizens (John 3:16, Luke 20:13), that those who cease their rebellion (Isaiah 1:16), putting an end to their sinning (Luke 13:3), may have gracious pardon and mercy given unto them for all of their past sins (Rom 3:24-26), being washed from all their old sins (2Pet 1:9), that they may be restored into a right relationship with their Sovereign whom they have been rebelling against! (Heb 8:12, Heb 10:17) That is our most glorious, most precious, most beautiful gospel given unto us in the Holy Scriptures, which God wants to reach all sinners with (Matt 28:19-20, Mark 16:15), using men full of the Holy Ghost (Acts 1:8), speaking as the very oracles of God! (1Pet 4:11)

But the theologians and preachers of today are saying that, “sinners must not do anything to be saved”. They are liars that know nothing about the gospel. To save their precious theologies, they do away with the foundations of the faith! The foundation of the faith, the first principles of Christ’s doctrine, is repentance and faith the bible tells us! (Heb 6:1)

The devil wants us to believe that we are to tell sinners to do nothing, so then all evangelism is abruptly halted! If sinners are not responsible to do anything, then evangelists and preachers will not tell sinners, as John Baptist publicly cried – as Jesus Christ publicly yelled – and as the Apostles publicly declared, “Repent ye and believe the gospel!” (Mark 1:15) We are not suppose to go everywhere preaching that men are to do nothing, but we are to go everywhere preaching that men are to repent! (Mark 6:12) We are to testify to all, not that they are to do nothing towards God and are to do nothing towards Jesus Christ, but that they are to repent towards God and put their faith in Jesus Christ! (Acts 20:21)

George Otis Jr. said in his book, “God’s Trademarks”, “we are told there is no real cost involved in spiritual conversion. What are we to think when Jesus is presented as our servant rather then our Lord? When ministers highlight all that appeals to our self-interest, is it any surprise that our thoughts center on the question, ‘How do I come out?’ Does not this render salvation itself a purely selfish concept?” Pg 139.

And it’s true, Savior hood without Lordship is a selfish gospel; Jesus represented as your servant rather then as your Lord and Sovereign is a heretical and grievous error! Yet it is often represented as a heretical and grievous error the other way around! But we must present the Sovereignty of God in conversion! That is, we must declare the requirement of the Lordship of Christ in salvation!

The brilliant revivalists and theologian of the seventeenth century, John Fletcher, in his classic “Checks to Antinomianism”, said in his most sarcastic manner, “But if the Son of God be a heretic for putting the unbelieving Jews upon working…St Paul is undoubtedly an arch-heretic for corroborating it by a strong preposition… he says to the Philippians, work out – and what is most astonishing, ‘work out your salvation.’ Your own salvation! Why, Paul, this is even worst… Ah! Poor legal apostle, what a pity it is thou didst not live in our evangelical age! Some, by explaining to thee the mystery of a ‘finished salvation,’ or by ‘protesting…against thy dreadful heresy,’ might have saved ‘the fundamental doctrines of Christianity:’ pg 32

Again Fletcher humorously says, “We have received it as a maxim that a man is to do nothing for justification. Nothing can be more false. Whoever desires to find favor with God, should ‘cease from evil, and learn to do well.’ ‘Whoever repents, should do works meet for repentance.’ And if this be not in order to find favor, what does he do them for?... The express declarations of God’s word: - ‘To him that ordereth his conversion aright will I show the salvation of God.’ Is ‘ordering our conversation aright’ doing nothing? ‘Repent ye, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.’ Are ‘repentance and conversion’ nothing? ‘Come unto me, all ye that are heavy laden, and I will give you rest,’ I will justify you. Is ‘coming’ doing nothing? ‘Cease to do evil, learn to do well. Come now, let us reason together, and though your sins be read as crimson they shall be white as snow’ you shall be justified. Is ‘ceasing to do evil and learning to do well’ doing nothing? ‘Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.’ Is ‘seeking, calling, forsaking one’s way, and returning to the Lord,’ a mere nothing? ‘Ask, and you shall receive; seek and you shall find; knock, and it will be open unto you.’ Be ‘violent, take even the kingdom by force.’ Is ‘seeking, asking, knocking, and taking by force’ doing absolutely nothing? Please to answer these questions; and when you have done, I will throw one or two hundred more of the like kind your way.” Pg 35

Jesse Morrell
http://www.OpenAirOutreach.com

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement