Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Which is worse, or better?

Author Topic: Which is worse, or better?
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the internet, but the internet can not take the place of your local Church. The Church was always important to God. After the family the next institution that God indorsed was the Church.
Through the Church the gifts of the Spirit can manifest. Church is where we get together to praise God as a family of God, have Bible Study classes, and are instructed through preaching.
Sitting at the computer is not serving God. My Church family helps me stay accountable for my actions.
I encourage fellow Christians to find a Church home.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought of the "assemble yourselves" teaching as such: it not about being in the same place at the same time but about each recognizing one another's gifting in the Lord and permitting each one to use the gifts.

The former "assembling" is akin to a bag of car parts. The later, and correct understanding in my opinion, is a complete vehicle where each part is performing its specific function.

I believe this is explicitly given in Ephesians 4:11-16...
quote:
11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
And why this part? (in bold)

quote:
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Because the last days will be especially difficult for the church. Proper authority and direction from the Lord will be paramount in the lives of the saints.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think that we bornagain Christians are admonished to assemble ourselves together, but I think that in the age of digital computers, that gathering ourselves together can be right here, on www.thechristianbbs.com.

The assembling of ourselves no longer just happens in church BUILDINGS on Sundays or Wednesdays or Saturdays (if 7th Day Adv.), but at assorted times at home I "assemble myself" with bornagain Christians on this bbs.

That's where I assemble, and often I make it a POINT to attend this bbs because it is my church "building".

Be blessed,
Eden

Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
Eden all I can think of is Paul’s words…. Rom 12:1...Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

Think of what this means.

It would have been very offensive to the religious Jew, who knew that such was "against the law".

The animal must be killed first before being offered up. So then, what is depicted here is gruesome, tortuous.

But it is our "reasonable service"!

It is the only "intelligent" thing we can do if we have comprehended the gospel and decided to follow Jesus.

Will it be painful?

You bet. But our lives are toast anyway if we try to cling to them or indulge them. Give it up on the altar, rather, and get real new life, and that abundantly.

This is what grace, real grace, will teach you to do: to truly follow Jesus in what works.

Titus 2:11-12 (NIV) For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

It would be better to drag that body out of bed and worship Yahweh with it, present it to Yahweh a living sacrifice.

Romans 12:1 is speaking about using our bodies in His service daily and has nothing to do with attending a religious institution. One can worship God with his daily life and does not need to be in a "worship service" to do that.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the home where my Aunt lived, they invited different Preachers to preach every Sunday. With you being with a Catholic Home, it seems like they would at least have a Priest come. The Catholics I have know tell me that they are not allowed to read any Bible but the Catholic Bible. Also they don't do alot of studying on their own but depend on the Priest for guidance. To be honest, I always remember where Jesus said not to say the same words over and over when you pray when I think of the Roasary. I believe the Catholic Church has cheated their people out of a more personal relationship with God by not encouraging their people to pray from the heart.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no Church Service at the Home where I work, it is a rather small place...Some of them do watch a Catholic Church Service on tv either in their own bedroom or in the living room. One lady listens to a praying program on the radio, in that program, they always pray the same prayers over and over, as Catholics do with their rosaries...I find that sad, they are just repeating what the priest is praying, but do they really understand what or why they are praying???...

I have noticed that not one of them reads the Bible...if some did, they surely would have showed theirs to me, I carry my mini Bible in my pocket and some of them have seen it...

Amen, David... [Cross]

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristy2007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because of my relationship with Jesus, I want to go to Church. I can only speak for myself.
betty

Me too Betty!
God Bless YOu

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I had to work on Sundays when I worked in the hospital. I worked on Sunday mornings and went to Church, Sunday night and Wednesday night.
I think what you do with the people in the home is great work. I used to send cards and pray for the people in the hospital.
My Aunt was in a nursing home for 7 years before she died and my grandpa for several years, too.
Until my Aunt was unable to leave the home, my mom would pick her up for Church every Sunday. After she could not leave, my mom would go to the Church Service with her at the home.
May God bless you for the kindness you give to others.
betty

--------------------

lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.''

Colossians 3:23-24 NIV

Since last September, I have been working in a Residence for elderly people, even on Sundays as their needs are to be met every day of the week, Sundays included....

I take care of their meals, their medications, their personal hygiene, their laundry, I tuck them in bed at night, and so on...
When it is my turn to work the evening shift, I often am the last person that they will see before morning comes...

I enjoy doing this kind of work very much. I do it very seriously...I am not doing this kind of work to get approval or applause from anyone, I am just very grateful that I have good health and that I can be helpful towards others that are in need...

Sadly, some elderly people have no one left of their family members because they have all died and we are too often the only ones that will care for them...I do not consider any of them as numbers, I make sure of this. They have a heart and a soul, they need to be and feel loved as much as anyone else...

I like to think that when I am serving them, it is as though I am serving the Lord Himself...I deeply care for each and every one of them, eventhough I have my own parents and sibblings, they are part of my family too now...

Are they all saved?...I don't know...I am hoping that what I do or say every day might help them to get closer to Him...

So far, I have accompanied a man and a woman to their death in that residence, they were both Catholic......at the moment of their death, they both had a rosary that they kept holding in their hand and I know that they did believe in Jesus...

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Because of my relationship with Jesus, I want to go to Church. I can only speak for myself.
betty

--------------------

Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristy2007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very True David the church does not save you. Only a Relationhip with Christ saves.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

For me, I will more likely be IN BED THINKING ABOUT THE CHURCH, but NOT about church.

And not only on Sunday of course, but also thinking about the church IN BED on ANY GIVEN DAY of the week I’m lying in bed thinking about my Savior, that is, when I AM in bed.

So yes, lying in bed thinking about church is MUCH BETTER than being in church thinking about BED!

Be blessed,
Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen David, [type]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being saved is NOT about Church. It is about know and serving Jesus Christ not an Institutional Church that usually serves its self.

It is more important to put Jesus Christ FIRST not a church building nor yourself.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. James 1:27 (KJV)

If you go to a Church that actually puts Jesus first, then one should be there as often as they can. But to put the Church building and the gathering place first and think that by coming to it will save you, then you are in a world of hurt. Only Jesus Christ can save you and he says:

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. ~ Matthew 18:20

Meaning that you don't have to have a church building to be saved, but you do have to have Jesus. You can go to church everytime the doors open and be LOST, but you can meet with other true believing in your home or where ever you like and be saved IF and ONLY IF you know Jesus and put Him first.

Sorry, you hit a nerve.....

www.lostinchurch.com

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristy2007
Community Member
Member # 6488

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kristy2007   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not always be easy and we all may think about wanting to sleep in.
So you want to be visiting Christ or serve him?
That is the key

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Because I suffer from chronic pain, there are many times over the last 13 years, I have had to take a pain pill to go to Church, but once I was there and begin to worship God, in praise and worship, God would always touched my heart. Even when I went and then came home and went to bed, I was always glad I went to God's house. The Lord always blessed my spirit and my soul for making the effort to go to His house. I am not saying I never missed a Sunday because I have, but I am always glad when I go to Church.
Before I ever got ill, I found out early in my marriage, if you stay out of Church for several Sundays that it is easy to make a habit out of it.
Going to Church should be more then a habit, it should be like looking forward to going to the spring for refreshing water. Yes, I read the Bible nearly every day, but when you worship with fellow Christians you are giving and extra bit of yourself to the Lord. You don't have to be a singer or a Preacher to work in God's house.
Just being there to shake a new person's hand and letting them know that they are in God's house where they are loved, is working for God.
Just think how it must make God feel to hear a group of people who love Him sing together praise and worship songs. I find that if I pray for my ears to be open to hear what God has to say to me, that I always find the sermons helpful to my own life. Church is when we learn more about God, and give back to God with our worship and our offerings.
I challange you to make yourself go even when you are sleepy. Pray that God will open your heart and your ears to hear His truth. Then sing with the Church as a sacrifice of worship to God. He will bless you for your efforts.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 8 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden all I can think of is Paul’s words…. Rom 12:1...Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

Think of what this means.

It would have been very offensive to the religious Jew, who knew that such was "against the law".

The animal must be killed first before being offered up. So then, what is depicted here is gruesome, tortuous.

But it is our "reasonable service"!

It is the only "intelligent" thing we can do if we have comprehended the gospel and decided to follow Jesus.

Will it be painful?

You bet. But our lives are toast anyway if we try to cling to them or indulge them. Give it up on the altar, rather, and get real new life, and that abundantly.

This is what grace, real grace, will teach you to do: to truly follow Jesus in what works.

Titus 2:11-12 (NIV) For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.

It would be better to drag that body out of bed and worship Yahweh with it, present it to Yahweh a living sacrifice.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Which is worse, or better?

Laying in bed thinking about church? Or,

Being in church thinking about bed?

Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement