Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Happy RESURRECTION DAY, saints!

Author Topic: Happy RESURRECTION DAY, saints!
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, TEXASGRANDMA. You said:

"My point is that to most Christians, Easter is about celeberating Jesus rising from the dead. It does not matter what others do on Easter, it matters what I do with the day. I went to Church and I thanked God for sending His Son to die for me."

Eden here:

Yes, it is true that "to most Christians, Easter is about celeberating Jesus rising from the dead."

But you miss an important opportunity here to evangelize. When I am somewhere outside or am speaking to an unbeliever, I may mention that "today is Resurrection day".

For most NON-believers, it is MUCH EASIER to hear about EASTER than it is to hear about RESURRECTION day.

And since the Lord has also commanded us to further His cause of telling people about Him by "working in His vineyard", therefore as a matter of evangelism, it is important that we use the words RESURRECTION day rather than Easter, NOT for Christians, most of whom already know that Easter is about Jesus, but for NON-believers we make the extra effort to say Resurrection Day, to make perfectly clear what we are talking about here when in the company or earshot of NON-believers.

So it should be regarded as an opportunity for evangelism, and that is where your statement: "to most Christians, Easter is about celebrating Jesus rising from the dead", misses the point.

Do you see my point?

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; ...

New Testament Realities Made of None Effect due to the Traditions of Men!

That is what Easter and Christmas are all about.

What does Jesus say about Tradition?

Then the Pharisees and scribes asked [Jesus], why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is WRITTEN [Jesus is quoting the Bible], This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men...

And he said unto them, Full well YE REJECT THE COMMANDMENT OF GOD, THAT YE MAY KEEP YOUR OWN TRADITION.

Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Mark 7:5-9, 13

The Bereans didn't just listen to what the apostles said, but they compared their teaching to the SCRIPTURES to see if those things were so.

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

We are told in the New Testament to study the word and RIGHTLY divide it. That means don't be misinterpreting! Tell the truth about the Bible, not lies:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Well, what is the truth? Jesus told us:

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. John 17:17

Where do we find Easter or Christmas in Scripture?

We don’t !

We only find them in the traditions of men (started by the Roman Catholic Who!re) but continues in Protestantism the daughter of the Who!re.

Betty said in another thread the scriptures says not to judge concerning ….
quote:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
This only applies to the Feast of Israel not to pagan feast.

Study the scriptures.

There is a way that seams right but the end thereof is destruction!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem at all with people celeberating Passover. I just wish that people would not put me down for celeberating Easter. We even thought about celeberating Passover this year but hubby was scheduled for major surgery on the 4th but it ended up being cancelled. My issue is not about Passover but about people who put down people who make a point of worship on Easter Sunday and make a point of giving thanks for Jesus on Easter Sunday.
Have a great day.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings TG,

Your first Apostles were Jewish Christians. They were certainly not trying to convert anyone to practice Judaism.

But this does not change the fact that the Feasts of the Lord ARE NOT "Jewish Feast" The Lord calls them His Feast period.

Heres a little tid bit for you about Easter and who did practice Easter in Biblical times, during the time of Peter.

Acts 12 read carefully and understand:

Now about that time Herod (Herod was NOT a JEW, He was an Edomite, appointed by ROME to be the King of the Jews)
the king stretched out his hand to harass some from the Church.

And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also.

Now it was during the DAYS OF UNLEAVENED BREAD.

(Remember, Passover is BEFORE the days of unleavened Bread)

So when he (Herod) arrested him (Peter), he put him in prison and delivered him to 4 squads of soldiers to keep him,

(Note what it says here)

intending to bring him (Peter) before the people after Passover.

Now, does this make sense? Passover comes BEFORE Unleavened Bread.

Your KJV states it like this,

"intending to bring him (Peter)before the people after "EASTER"

Easter was a celebration of the pagans some 1500 years before the Birth of Christ. It was a religion to the Queen of Heaven, it came out of Babylon. Herod practiced this relgion, he was a pagan, an Edomite. He was Not a Jew NOR was HE a Christian.

If Easter as spoken of in the KJV of this passage was a "Christian Holy Day" why would Herod have any respect for it and wait till the Christians celebrated it to bring Peter out to the Jews when Peter himself was a "Christian"
It would not make sense would it?

And it also does not make sense in many translations of the bible today such as the NKJV and others that the word Passover be put in place of Easter from the KJV because then the passage would not make sense seeing that Passover comes BEFORE the Days of Unleavened Bread.

If Passover comes before the Days of unleavened bread does this make sense?

verse 3 Now it was during the days of unleavend Bread. (Remeber, Passover comes BEFORE Unleavened Bread)

verse 4 Intending to bring him before the people after Passover.

Doesnt make sense cause Peter was arressted after the Passover during the Feasts of Unleavened Bread.

Now the KJV probably has it right!

verse 3 Now it was during the days of unleavened Bread.

verse 4 intending to bring him out after EASTER.

Like I said, if Easter at that time was a Christian Holy Day, why would Herod, who was NOT a Christian wait until after that day?

He waited after that particualar Easter because it was HIS/HERODS celebration of the pagan goddess.

Most Pastors today say that the KJV mistranslated the word Passover for Easter.

But if the Pastors knew their bible enough to know about Gods Feasts, they would know that Passover comes BEFORE the Days of UNleavened Bread.

TG, those Feasts of God point directly to Your Savior Jesus. Jesus is not some Greek/Helenistic
god.

And no one says you must be bound by the Law to observe them. But what you do not want to see is that those same disciples and Apostles of Jesus DID observe them.

And circumcision as far as God is concerned has always been a heart matter, not a flesh matter. God speaks of circumcizing the Heart several times in the OT.

Who here who has spoken the truth about Gods Feasts and of the origons of Easter has tried to persuade anyone to practice Judaisim? Certainly not me.

So tell me TG, what does Passover, Unleavened Bread and the Day of first fruits mean to you?

Do you find them too "Jewish" that you distain them? Jesus as the Lamb without spot or blemish kept these same Feasts of the Lord and opened the eyes of the diciples at that last Passover Supper to what these Feasts pointed to, namely Himself.

How could it be wrong to celebrate Passover, to have that supper in remembrence of Him?

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chaffin

I am with you on this. God bless you. I think Christians need to fight to keep Easter about Jesus and not a worldly Holiday.
I don't see anywhere in the New Testament where Apostles tried to convert Christians to Judaism.
In fact Paul chastised those who tried to force circumcision on new converts.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what God calls Resurrection Sunday and it has to do with resurrection and Salvation.

It is called the Day of First Fruits. The day Jesus arose from the dead started the Festival of God called First Fruits.

The festival of the sheaf of the first fruits is prophetic of the resurrection of Jesus.

A sheaf in the Bible is used to typify a person or persons Gen 37:5-11

Jesus will return to earth (Zec 14:4) during His 2nd coming as King over all the earth. He will also bring the sheaves(all the believers in Him) with Him. (Reminds me of that old Hymn "Bringing in the Sheaves."

The 144,000 witness of Jesus from the 12 tribes of Israel are first0fruits to God during the tribulation (Rev. 14:1-4)

The natural is before the spiritual 1 Cor. 15:46

Israel was Gods firstborn Ex 4:22
BUT, the First will be last and the last will be first (Mark 10:31)
Therefore, the Gentiles became the First to recieve Messiah(as a corporate people, there are many non-Jews who do not) Is 60:1-3 62:1-3 Acts 15:14-16.

At the end of this present age, the Jews as a corporate people WILL accept Jesus as Messiah as well.

The gospel was preached to the Jew first and then the Gentiles.

We are called to seek First the kingdom of God

Jesus was the First to rise from the dead.

The early believers were a kind of first fruits James 1:17-18

Those who arose from the dead with Jesus during His resurrection became the first fruits of all those who would rise from the dead Matt 27:52-53
Eph 4:8 Thess 4:13-18

Jesus first loved us, and He is to be our First love 1 John 4:9 Rev 2:4

Jesus is the First (Alpha) and the last (Omega)

The day that Jesus Rose from the Dead is known as the Day of First Fruits, and is a Festival of God.

This is what God/Jesus calls that Day.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Bible GOD has much to say about HIS NAME,
honoring His Name,
a place for His Name,
glory in His Name,
need I go on.

Easter is the name of another god/goddess;
it is not HIS NAME.

Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Every year, around the time of Passover,
in celebration of His resurrection,
we come before Him in the name of another god/goddess.
How wrong is that?

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaffin
Advanced Member
Member # 6221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaffin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is pretty neat information on history. however I agree with TG. It doesn't matter to me what you call it...It matters what you recognize it for and what you do with it...If you see it as a day of just bunnies and egss, then fine, we need to talk...but if you see it as the most Glorious day of the year, then GREAT...As for me and my family it is Easter Sunday a day with Bunnies, Painted Eggs, Family and Worship and Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ. I really don't think that Jesus cares what we call it, I just think he cares that we recognize it as the day of the Resurection. I may be wrong though.
Posts: 27 | From: Milton, WV. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

My point is that to most Christians, Easter is about celeberating Jesus rising from the dead. It does not matter what others do on Easter, it matters what I do with the day. I went to Church and I thanked God for sending His Son to die for me.
Last Wednesday was my birthday. It meant nothing to anyone who was not born on April 4th. My celeberations was not hindered by others.
My celeberating Easter does not hurt others nor does their lack of celeberation hinder my love for God.
You make Easter what you want it to be. If it is a nothing day for you, then it is a nothing day. If it is a day you set aside to worship and be thankful to God, then it is a Holy Day to you.
betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Dear sister TG,

The Passover IS about Jesus Death, Burial and Resurrection.

AND Easter IS a Spring Celebration, it was so even before the birth of Jesus.

It is sad that some people only grace the doors of any Christian assembly on Resurrection Sunday, but what does that tell you about those people and their walk with the Risen Lord?

TG, the devil is not trying to get people to doubt in Easter, but to doubt in the Risen Savior.

The world wants to put Easter back into its original context because goddess worship is on the rise. This can be seen in such things such as the DaVinci Codes and The Lost tomb of Jesus.

You said above in your post "No thank you, I will celebrate Jesus Resurrection on Easter Sunday".

There is nothing wrong with the Sunday part because Jesus as scripture says Rose on the 1st day of the week which is on a Sunday. I agree with this whole heartedly!

But it was Not on an Easter Sunday because Jesus was the Passover Lamb. And during Jesus day when he celebrated the Passover, the pagans were celebrating Easter or the worhipping of the Spring Fertility goddess. These were 2 seperate celebrations. One was of God, the other was of Satan. Goddess worship comes straight from the pits of hell.

Did you know that the pagan people who celebrated this goddess worship actually sacrificed babies and dipped egss in those babies blood? Hence you now have the tradition of the colored Easter Eggs.

They would also sacrifice pigs and drank pigs blood and cooked the flesh of pigs and ate it. Have you not wondered where the Easter Ham comes into play here?

When did Jesus ever celebrate Easter? Was he the foreshadow of Easter or of Passover?

As far as Polycarp, no, there is no mention of him in the scriptures. But there are writings between him and Antipas of which the church is aware and has. Antipas is spoken of in Rev. verse 12,13
"And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write...

13 "I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny my faith even in the days in which ANTIPAS (a friend of Polycarp) was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.

Like I said earlier, theologans know these things, but out of the traditions handed down to us by the Roamn Catholic church, we have been calling Resurrection Sunday "Easter" because thats what the church decided to do. Polycarp was not in agreement with those who made it that way. He was even referenced to say that since the ascension of Christ, all the disciples and Apostles continued the Passover in Remembrence of Jesus, but the Church of Rome was trying to distance itself from anything that looked "Jewish". As if those disciples and our Lord Jesus was not Jewish.

Anyway, its quite an eye opener when you see how far we have come from the early first Christians. Polycarp is refrenced by the Catholic church as being put to death on THE HIHG Sabbath which there is really only one of those refrenced in Scripture and its Called the Last Great Day or The High Sabbath and its the Last Day of the Feast of Tabernacles.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

no thank you. I will celeberate Jesus Ressurection on Easter Sunday, because with out the Resurrection there is no salvation.

Was Polycarp even mentioned in the Bible? I will check on that.
If Easter does not mean anything, then why is the devil fighting so hard to turn Easter into a Spring celeberation? The devil knows that there are many people who attend Church only on Easter Sunday. If the devil gets the world to doubt in Easter then they won't even go to Church on Easter.

betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Greetings TG, have you ever heard or studied the man Polycarp?

He was a direct apostle under John the Apostle the same John who wrote the book of Revelation.

Polycarp was one of the 1st Bishops of the Church of Smyrna spoken of in Revelation and he was killed in Rome at the age of 86 for being a Christian, burned at the stake.

This Polycarp was a student of John who had walked with Jesus. Polycarp had a lot to say about Easter. I know you have a computer so I will let you search and see what he had to say about Passover vs Easter and you may find it interesting to know that he refers to John and all the other disciples of Jesus as well as himself still keeping the Feast of Passover. And this was many years after Jesus had gone on to heaven.

There was a huge debate over it where Polycarp went back to the church of Smyrna and also the Church at Ephesus where it is recorded that these 2 assemblies continued to Keep the Passover while Rome was busy changing it over to an Easter feast.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

It depends on what Easter is to you. Easter to me, is about Jesus rising from the dead. Why do you think some schools are no longer using the word Easter? It is because even the world sees Easter as a Christian Holiday. I have no problem saying Merry Christmas and Happy Easter.
betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Amen Eden for Jesus had risen! HallaluYah on the 1st day of the week being the first born from the dead and the firstfruit!
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate sister TEXASGRANDMA's Topic "Have a blessed Easter Day", but I think it is much more important to say "Happy RESURRECTION DAY,all you saints."

All you bornagain Christians out there who believe that Jesus died for your sins, HAPPY RESURRECTION DAY TO ALL OF YOU, OH WHAT JOY that there is a RESURRECTION DAY in which we will get GLORIFIED BODIES thru Jesus!

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement