Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Wish to give up salvation

Author Topic: Wish to give up salvation
desertdweller
Advanced Member
Member # 6383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies! That passage makes me wonder.....it sounds rather like what Christ might have prayed on our sake....to be accursed and cut off from his Father for our sake. To pray to give up one's blessedness for the sake of another seems a divine characteristic. IF I could in fact make the offer for another to be in heaven instead of me, and IF God would accept it, I would do it. Mainly because heaven won't feel like heaven without everyone there.....
DD

Posts: 51 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primoa1970
Advanced Member
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primoa1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was typical Paul.....pouring out his heart for his people. Simply an expression of agape love on his part. You're right.....I don't think I would say such a thing and mean it.

Besides.....even if I wanted to leave my salvation behind, it's very secure in Christ. Once a person is saved....it's for eternity. If not, then the sacrifice of Christ would be null and void. If you leave the faith, then you were never really saved to begin with.
Can you tell I'm a Calvinist?

-Primo

--------------------
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Posts: 639 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, desertdweller. You said:

Romans 9:3-4
3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race,

4 the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises.

How many of us would give up knowing God so that others might? Not saying we would have to (don't believe God would advocate that). But do we love others enough to pray as did Paul?

Eden here:

Note, though, that Paul only prayed for the people of Israel, and not for the Gentiles. There are a lot more Gentiles than there are people of Israel.

And I think that for us mostly Gentiles, in this dispensation of grace we Gentiles end up praying for “our people of Israel”, namely for our families and wayward sons and daughters and friends, and sometimes our fervor for them could even cause us to pray something like Paul prayed, “Lord, I know how great Your glory is going to be and it hurts me so much to know that my beloved son will not be there that I’d almost give up MY salvation if You would save him…” (not that God honor that prayer, as you said).

But as a general rule, I think that God wants each of us to save ourselves first, and then do what each of us, can, or want to, to help God inviting still more wedding guests with the garment of the righteousness of God on them.

Be blessed and stay saved.
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertdweller
Advanced Member
Member # 6383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting passage:
3For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, 4the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises.
(Romans 9:3-4)
How many of us would give up knowing God so that others might? Not saying we would have to (don't believe God would advocate that). But do we love others enough to pray as did Paul?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement