Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Faith Without Works Is Dead (Show Us The Ancient Paths)

Author Topic: Faith Without Works Is Dead (Show Us The Ancient Paths)
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigHead:
Faith bring works.

Thats is so true.

Its a free gift.

If it has to be earned, its not a gift.
If it can be taken back, its not a gift.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigHead
Community Member
Member # 6143

Icon 21 posted      Profile for BigHead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith bring works.

--------------------
Hi, I'm Big head

Posts: 15 | From: Asia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primoa1970
Advanced Member
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primoa1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that faith without works is dead.....that's purely scriptural.

But....Jesus cam to fulfill the pentatuech and to save us from the requirements of it. If this were not so, then shouldn't we as christians be dragging bulls and rams and turtledoves to church with us every Sunday so that our pastors (who are probably not from the line of Aaron) can slaughter them for the remission of sins for us?

Remember....we are not saved by our works....but rather....unto good works. Being a christian means producing good fruit. Remember in Matthew when Jesus cursed the fig tree because it had no fruit?

Thank God for grace....which we didn't deserve.
-Primo

--------------------
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Posts: 639 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan
Member # 4194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Faith Without Works Is Dead (Show Us The Ancient Paths)

2/06/07

(Jeremiah 6:16) "Thus says YHWH, 'Stand by the ways and ask for the Ancient Paths, where the Good Way is, and walk in It; and you will find rest for your souls. But they said, 'We will not walk in It.'"

(Hosea 6:16) "My people perish[are destroyed] for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you shall be no priest to Me: seeing you have forgotten the Torah[Law] of your Elohim, I also will forget your children."

The Biblical Hebrew expression for “Ancient Paths,” "netivot ‘olam" means : "the old, concealed, perpetual, timeless, and eternal ways". This Way/Path is "good", and this word in Hebrew is "tov", which in part means : "pleasant, agreeable, happy, well-off, prosperous, great, excellent, cheerful, merry, and distinquished." These characteristics and blessings are the result of the reverent obedience of those who truly and consistently walk in the ancient paths of Yahweh without compromise. The "ancient Paths" indicate a Way of faith and life that traces back to the time of the Old Covenant prophets, but also stretches far into the future, being eternal and timeless. The prophets often spoke of the restoration of a "Way in the Wilderness", the "repairing of a broken Wall", and the building of a "Highway", which are apparently metaphors for a return of YHWH’s people to Biblical truth and life in preparation for the unfolding of the final restoration and Redemption of the world (Isaiah 40:3; 58:12; 62:10).

There is a common misconception within the majority of the collective Church and Body of Messiah : It is widely taught that the Torah(teaching) of YHWH(Eternal One, I AM) is invalid and completely done away with, but nothing could be further from the Truth. The reason for this erroneous perception and theology is because of the gross misinterpretation of His holy and inspired Word. If we believe that doctrine, then we are in essence perceiving and teaching the Word in a contradictory manner and are albeit unknowingly calling Him a liar. He is not a man that He should lie, and changes not, having no shadow of turning, and is the same yesterday, today, and forever. We must [diligently] study to show ourselves approved unto Elohim([Al]mighty G-d), a workman that needs to not be ashamed, rightfully handling the Word of Truth. "ALL scripture inspired of YHWH is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of Elohim may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 2:15; 3:16,17) Allow me to show you directly from the Scriptures the proof of this reality :

Before I continue, please understand that even though all of the Torah is still valid, each Scriptural mitzvot(commandment) must be read within it's proper context through Messiah. For example, there are mitzvah specifically for the Hebrew priests(during the time of the ancient tabernacle/Temple, and the future one), just as well as for the Nazarites, the common population, etc. Also, the animal sacrifices are no longer needed for covering our sins, for Yeshua(Jesus) became our High Priest (of the higher Order of Melchizidek) and the ultimate and final Sacrifice. The letter of the Law was the "schoolmaster" and type/foreshadow which leads us to the Substance and Spirit of It through Him. We still must remain separated from being unequally yoked with the wicked (2Cor.6:14-18). Plus, even though we're not to judge others in questions of food, drink, shabbots, new moons, holy festivals, etc., the fact remains that these ordinances ARE still for today, being eternal, and the early Church, including Paul, followed these mitzvah. (Exodus 12:14,17; 31:16; Leviticus 23:21,41 ; Acts 18:21; 20:16; 1Corinthians 5:7,8; 16:8)

Likewise, YHWH will re-establish the continual observance of holy feasts, the Levitical priesthood (and animal sacrifices not for atonement, but signs to convict the people of the seriousness of sin) through Yeshua(Jesus), the Son of Man, after the new Temple is built in Zion (Ezekiel 20:40; 43:7,10,12; chapters 44 & 45). He will command ALL of us to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles in the future reign with Him, and severily punish all who refuse to comply. (Zechariah 14:16-19) The entire Law will remain in force throughout the future millennium, as is once again prophesied in Isaiah 2:3 and Micah 4:2.

Even though the circumcision of the flesh doesn't bring salvation, it still has a divine purpose in keeping the male body member in a greater state of purity, being of good hygiene, and preventing all sorts of defilement from germs, as is confirmed by medical science. Just the same, those who abstain from the forbidden cooking methods and non-kosher foods, such as the "bottom-feeders"(pigs, oysters, shrimp, etc.) are sparing themselves from defiling their bodies (which are the Temple of the Spirit) with unnecessary poisons and toxins which cause many dysfunctions and diseases. It has been amply proven that most of the health disorders are the direct result of the eating of non-kosher foods, and certain cooking methods. Various Scriptures, such as Acts 10:15, have been grossly misinterpreted by the majority of believers. His command to Peter was symbolic, being a parallel about the Gentiles such as Cornelius, etc., whom Peter didn't want to minister to, at first. YHWH never implied that all foods are perfectly clean,..but that non-Jews could be cleansed through Yeshua's atonement. Understanding the context is VERY important, and we must combine all Scripture together as one, not removing anything from the whole, or else, the meaning and purpose becomes lost.

It clearly says in Psalms 119:89, "Forever, O YHWH, Your word[Law/doctrine] is settled in heaven", and in 19:17,18, "The Torah[teaching/instruction/Law] of YHWH is perfect, restoring the soul: The testimony of YHWH is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of YHWH are right, rejoicing the heart: The mitzvah[commandment] of YHWH is pure, enlightening the eyes.".(Romans 7:12) "..the Law is holy, and the commandment holy, and righteous, and good.". (Acts 24:14) "But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so I worship the Elohim of my fathers, believing ALL things which are written in the law and in the prophets."

Please bear with me for a few moments as I show you exactly where the misinterpretations came in :

(Romans 3:31) "Do we then make the Law of none effect through faith? Elohim forbid: No, we establish the Law."

Faith establishes the Spirit and full blessing of the Torah, through Yeshua.

(Rom. 6:14,15) "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under [merely the letter of] Law, but under grace. What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under Law, but under grace? Elohim forbid."

Many teach that this means we're not under any Law, but that is not true. The apostle is saying that we are not bound to obey the commandments within our own ability and power, but only through YHWH's grace.

(Rom. 7:1) "Or are you ignorant, brethren (for I speak to men who know the Law), that the Law hath dominion over a man for so long time as he liveth?"

(Galatians 2:19) "For I through the Law died unto the Law, that I might live unto YHWH. I have been crucified with Mashiach(Christ); and it is no longer I that live, but Mashiach living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of Elohim, who loved me, and gave Himself up for me."

(Galatians 3:13) "Mashiach redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us; for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree."

The Torah is not the curse Itself, as is oftentimes claimed. The curse is the judgements which occur as a result of disobience unto It. This is explained to us in ample detail within Deuteronomy 28:15-68. We do not die to the Spirit and blessing of Torah, but die to the curse of It through His death, by reckoning ourselves as being dead indeed unto sin, but alive to His Righteousness. It is the Torah which reveals sin to begin with, and It was written on tablets of stone. No one is able to obey all of It's commandments in and of his/her own self and ability. However, the Spirit of the Law is now written upon our hearts, and by His Anointing, we are enabled to obey it by His grace, and He remains patient, merciful, and forgiving as we work out our own salvation with intense reverence and trembling.

Some say,..."Hey, what about Colossians 2:14, where it says that the Mashiach, "having blotted out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us: and He hath taken it out that way, nailing it to the cross"? Here is the answer to that :

Within this passage, what kind of requirements are being discussed? The New Testament Greek word for "handwriting" is "cheirographon", used in common Greek for : "a document written in one's own hand as legal proof of indebtedness." Some modern translations call it a "bond of indebtedness." Mashiach wiped out a "note of debt", or in other words, He canceled our spiritual debts, our sins, our transgressions of YHWH's Law. During His crucifixion and sacrifice, Mashiach paid our debts by spiritually and symbolically nailing our "note of debt" to His cross.

(Matthew 5:15,17,18) "Think not that I came to abolish the Law[Torah] and the prophets: I came not to abolish, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished."

(Luke 16:17) "And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the Law to fail."

The New Testament Greek word for "fulfill" is "plerosai", which means : "to obey; to bring out the full meaning and goal." He became the Word made flesh, the living, breathing Body-Spirit of Torah, the very goal and Tav/Omega of It. Many teach that He did away with the Law, but He specifically said that He did not. If the Torah is "abolished", as many claim, then how come heaven and earth haven't passed away? He spoke with clarity that not even a single letter or mark of a pen would by any means pass from the Law, as long as heaven and earth remain in existence. Psalms confirms that this Word is perfect and settled forever in heaven.

(Allow me to quote another source)"Yeshua quoted a Hebrew idiom when He said He came not to destroy the Law or the prophets. He was using a familiar phrase easily understood during Biblical times. If someone heard a Torah teaching and didn’t agree, they would say that the Teacher was “destroying the law.” If they heard a heard a teaching they thought was the right interpretation they would then say, “yes, this is fulfilling the law.” Yeshua had been accused of misinterpreting the Torah, yet He said that He was actually rightly and correctly teaching it. Traditional Jewish writings support this idiom, “Should all the nations of the world unite to uproot one word of the Law, they would be unable to do it,” Leviticus Rabbah 19:2. To understand the meaning of this verse, everything hinges on the meaning of the words “destroy” and “fulfill” in verse 17. What does Yeshua mean by “destroy the Law” and “fulfill the Law”? “Destroy” and “fulfill” are technical terms used in rabbinic argumentation. When a sage felt that a colleague had misinterpreted a passage of Scripture, he would say, “You are destroying the Law!” Needless to say, in most cases, his colleagues strongly disagreed. What was “destroying the Law” for one sage was “fulfilling the Law” (correctly interpreting Scripture) for another,” wrote Bivin and Bizzard in their book Understanding the Difficult Words of Yeshua. In plain English, Yeshua is saying, “Never imagine for a moment that I intend to abrogate the Law by misinterpreting it. My intent is not to weaken or negate the Law, but by properly interpreting Elohim’s written Word, I aim to establish it, that is, make it even more lasting. I would never invalidate the Law by effectively removing something from it through misinterpretation. Heaven and earth would sooner disappear than something from the Law. Not the smallest letter in the alphabet, the jot or yod, nor even its decorative spur, the tittle, will ever disappear from the Law."

Then in verse 19, Yeshua(Jesus) said, "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." This is very serious stuff, folks! The Church is infected with the erroneous teaching that we can do without the Torah, due to being under grace, and are therefore guilty of violation. Let us not forget what He said, concerning those who do many works in His name, and yet, neglect the will of Abba and will become judged for being "workers of lawlessness" (Matthew 7:21-23). What is the Law? It is YHWH's Torah. Thus,...anyone who practices disobedience to His Torah/Law are lawless, and He says that no matter how many good things they do in His name, He does not intimately know and have a thorough relationship with them, for they do not the perfect will of Abba and shall become rejected.

(James 1:15) "But whoever looks into the perfect Law of Liberty, and continues therein, not being a forgetful hearer, but also a doer of the Word, this man shall be blessed in his deed."

Likewise, he continues on to say within 2:24,26, "You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone," and "...so also faith without works is dead."

Without faith, it is impossible to please our Abba,...but we cannot exclude the works which need to be done in compliance to His Torah(Law), for both are dependant upon each other, functioning properly as one. The Ruach haKodesh(Holy Spirit) will teach each of us what and how to walk in the Ancient Paths, by the Anointing of the Mind of Mashiach(Christ) within, through the conscience, and His Law which is written upon our hearts. We are not alone, but have Him as our Comforter and Helper, and by Abba's amazing grace, we can do ALL things through Mashiach who strengthens us. It is in this, that we find the true rest for our souls, for His yoke is not burdensome, and is light. It IS the Blessing and the Life. (Phil.4:13; Jer. 6:16; Matt. 11:28-30; Duet.30:15,19)

(Revelation 22:14) "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the Tree of Life, and may enter through the gates into the City."

HalleluYah!

Yehonatan ben-Elohim

Posts: 5 | From: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement