Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What is SIN?

Author Topic: What is SIN?
artm
Advanced Member
Member # 6243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, The short answer to your question is, " Anything contrary to the Word of God is sin.

Romans 14:23 says, " Whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Hope this helps a little.

Art

Posts: 50 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who created it? In Ezekiel 28: 11-19 we see that it was Lucifer or Satan who brought sin into the world. "The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: " 'You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared. You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones. Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings. By your many sins and dishonest trade you have desecrated your sanctuaries. So I made a fire come out from you, and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more.' " There was no sin before Lucifer sinned and became the Devil, Satan, the Evil one and a host of other names. His sin, the first, Satan only created one thing and that was Sin. Satan wanted power and worship. He wanted what belonged to the LORD GOD. He went about to get what he wanted. He created sin then as the old saying goes it turned on him and consumed him because of his own choice. Some will argue that GOD created everything. But GOD didn't create sin. Sin came into the world through deception and disobedience, motivated by unbelief. The Word says every good and perfect gift comes down from GOD. That in HIM is no evil for our GOD is Holy. Yes, bad things do happen to good people. And, yes GOD can work through those bad things. But realize that GOD never forces us to make the choices we make. Satan uses lies, deception, and other products of darkness to bind and chain people into slavery. The Word is clear "All have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD, as it says in Romans 3:23. Sin means to miss the divine aim of GOD who set the standards.

Who chooses it? When Satan decided that the only way he would have company was to infect others. He started with the Heavenly host. Unfortunately one third of all the angels succumb to his product sin. The angels who have more power that humans succumb to this most deadly choice. They chose to follow Satan and rejected GOD. What chance do we as mere morals have someone might ask? We do have a choice. However our choice must be based on the Word of GOD. Some of the bad that happens to us is a direct result of our own choices. There are many examples in the Bible of this. The first was Satan when he decided to change the perfect world GOD had created into a sinful, imperfect place. Satan deceived Eve, but Adam chose willfully to sin. Then there was Cain who chose to murder his own brother. Then there was the entire world that chose rebellion and sin rather than obey GOD and because of this the entire world was destroyed by water except for eight people and a bunch of animals and birds. "The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them." But Noah found favor or grace in the eyes of the LORD." Then Noah, who GOD calls according to Genesis 6:9 "Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God." he got drunk and causes one of his grandchildren to be cursed. Sin is everywhere and in every human that ever lived or that will ever live. We are born into sin and stay that way until the day that we choose to accept JESUS as Savior. We can't clean ourselves of our own sin. We can't change by doing better. Only through JESUS and what HE has already done can things improve. Not only do those that are believers sometimes choose to sin but so does the unbelieving world. What and who does it consume? Sin will consume those that rejected the things of JESUS. This is even evident throughout the Bible which is the Word of GOD. In Genesis 4:6-7 GOD says, Then the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." And again in Exodus 34: 5-7 "Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished;" In Numbers 32:22-23, Moses spoke to the people and told them, "And this land will be your possession before the Lord. "But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the Lord; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out." Sin consumes unbelievers just as a fire consumes wood. Nothing will escape the destruction that sin can and will cause. The only hope is as the Word says, we must put our faith and trust in JESUS. Psalm 25 says, "No one whose hope is in you (speaking of the LORD JESUS) will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse." In Psalm 65:5, "You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness, O God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas," And in Psalm 147:11, "the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love." Sin is the most deadly force in the universe. Sin causes sickness and death. Sin is the only weapon Satan has to use. What is the cure? We must come to the realization that without a daily walk and relationship with JESUS we are in sin. When we received the gift that JESUS offered us of eternal life we became HIS child. We no longer belong to ourselves because as the Scripture says, we were bought with a price and that price was the precious shed blood of JESUS. We will either serve JESUS totally or we will serve Satan. There is no middle ground. We can't serve both the LORD JESUS and Satan. Too often we try but it never works. We need to do what the Scripture says in 2 Chronicles 7:14 "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." This is what has happen is America. We have gone everyone unto his or her own way. No one is seeking the LORD because it would require sacrifice and commitment. The GOD we are to serve is jealous when we put other things before HIM. We only think of idolatry as something in the Bible. Something that Israel did that angered GOD. However, we also have our idols. How many people are there that worship their houses, cars, family, friends, or some other material possession. Sometimes people will worship the building that is suppose to be the house of GOD. They worship the preacher, the pulpit, some object within the building but not the LORD. This may sound silly however, churches have split over the color of the carpet, the pulpit used, the musical instruments and other things. People who worship the preacher will often follow him to another church when he changes churches. None of these is to be the object of our worship. The only person that we are to worship is the LORD JESUS. We are not to worship the Holy Spirit either, for the Scripture says that the Spirit gives worship to JESUS. I am praying that we will pray and ask the LORD to open our eyes to the truth and to the condition that we are truly in. That we will confess our sin and humble ourselves before GOD and turn from all our sin and not turn back to those sins again. You might say that you confess your sins, are there secret sins that only you and the LORD know about. Things that you might be hiding even from yourself. Remember, sin is the most dangerous, destructive force in the world. Sin deceives even the believer, it destroys our fellowship with the LORD and left unchecked can grieve the LORD to the point that HE is forced to take us home early because of the that unconfessed sin. The only victory a believer can have is found in total surrender of our mind, body and Spirit to the LORD JESUS. This can be found in Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Serving in the Love of the LORD

Mary at Bearer Ministries

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement