Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Help me with this parable: Lk. 16:1-9

Author Topic: Help me with this parable: Lk. 16:1-9
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a difficult parable. It seems to me that the key to it, is in vs 4-8, along side of vs. 2. Note in vs. 2 the lord called him to "render the account of his stewardship", or perhaps to confirm or deny the accusation of wasting the lords goods, by giving written account of his activities.

In order for him to assure himself a place of provision, he decides to settle all accounts, but at a discount. There are three different views about the discount; 1) is that he simply lowered the debt randomly 2) is that he removed the interest on the debt, and 3) he reduced the debt by the amount of his own commission. I like option 3 myself, as it make more sense for his lord to commend that, than any of the other two options, thus his actions were pleasing to both his lord, and those who were indebted to him. His lord would not have been pleased to know he had cut his debts in half, or lost interest, but the steward was commended, and in spite of his earlier accusation.

And so the unjust steward basically repents of his prior unjust actions and makes some restitution for what he has taken, much like in the story of Zacchaeus (Luke 19:8-9).

This is what Jesus begins to relate in vs. 9.

Quote:
To this Jesus adds three further applications in verses 9-13. We should use resources generously "so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings." What "welcoming committee" is Jesus referring to? Some argue that "they" may be the poor who receive the benefits of disciples' stewardship, while others argue that they are either angels representing God or God himself (as a plural of majesty). Since the context has to do with present actions that are taken in light of the future, it is best to see a reference either to angels or to God here. Eternal dwellings has to do with entering into heaven (Michaelis 1971:378-79).

Money cannot come with us to heaven. Its value is limited when it comes to everlasting life. So recognize its limits and use it for others, not selfishly. To gain friends by means of mammon is to use money in such a way that others appreciate you for your exercise of stewardship, your kindness and generosity.

Jesus calls mammon "unrighteous." The NIV is too soft here, calling it simply worldly wealth (NRSV has "dishonest wealth," which is not quite right either). Mammon is called unrighteous not because it is inherently evil but because of the unrighteous attitudes the pursuit of money can produce. If money were inherently unrighteous, then all uses of it would be evil. But that is not Jesus' view (see 19:1-10). The attitude reflected here may be similar to that of 1 Timothy 6:10, where Paul says that the love of money is the root of all evil. Money is evil because of how it brings out distorted values in people. Pursuing money can make people selfish, leading them to take advantage of others, to treat other people as objects and to be unfaithful to God. It tends to reflect an excessive attachment to the world. So it is better not to be attached to the pursuit of wealth.

Possessions are a responsibility. Their use is a test of character, values and stewardship. The one who is faithful in little is also faithful in much. So also the other way around--to be dishonest in little things is to be dishonest in much. Faithfulness with the "little thing" of money indicates how faithful we are with the big things, the true riches of our relationships to God and to others. So if we have not been trustworthy in handling possessions that produce unrighteousness, who will trust us with true riches? The true riches in this passage seem to involve future kingdom service--that is, service for God and to others. True wealth is faithfulness in serving him.

The theme of responsibility continues as Jesus raises the question about being faithful with something that belongs to another so that later one can receive reward for oneself. If someone is unfaithful as a steward, why should that person be entrusted with ownership? Handling wealth is a preparatory lesson for other responsibilities before God.

So Jesus warns that we cannot have two masters. In the end, when push comes to shove, we will choose to serve God or mammon, to love one and hate the other. The implication is that we had best make the choice early. Choose God over mammon.

From here: http://www.biblegateway.com/resource...eq=i.49. 16.1

So, the point;

The goal: Have continued provision (vs. 4.).
The means: Have mercy on them in need, and be "wise" in stewardship (vs's 5-7).
The end: Be rewarded for diligence (vs. 8).

Comp. Luke 6:38, 2Cor 9:6, Gal 6:7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luke 16 - The Unjust Steward

Luk 16:1 And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
Luk 16:2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
Luk 16:3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
Luk 16:4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
Luk 16:5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, how much owest thou unto my lord?
Luk 16:6 And he said, A hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
Luk 16:7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, A hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
Luk 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

I like the NIV here;
8 The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light.

Luk 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
Luk 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
Luk 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Luk 16:12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

...some more thoughts...a slightly different explanation of this parable(s)... In many ways Jesus addressed the Pharisee's, and their stewardship of God's people. In this parable, I believe we see the Lord addressing them point blank, "I am taking away your stewardship", spryly speaking to them "for thou mayest be no longer steward."

He even told them; "it will be given to another to produce it's fruit", elsewhere. The possesion of great wealth to the Lord, are His people. He judged the leaders as unworthy stewards of His posessions. We see parallels in other ways, such as the Lord removing the lampstand (said to the angel of that church, which I agree with Swindoll as being the pastor of that church) of a church. (Revelation 2)

It is God's people in which they were charged to care for, to shepard....thinking of Peter here and his threefold charge to "feed My sheep/lambs"....God surely expecting the same from the leaders all along.....When men become careless and callous with His sheep, He takes notice. One application is to every leader within His church to take notice, that 'you' can be removed at any time. The Lord is not a respector of persons.

In a certain way, the possibility of the series of parables unfolding a little like this:

"This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." Was the thoughts of the Pharisee's, then Jesus presents a series of parables, addressing them. Jesus, came for the lost sheep of Israel (lost sheep, representing ordinary men, not the leaders), when a sinner repents, heaven rejoices (lost coin, answering what really happens with these so called "sinners" you despise so much), you leaders are the elder son, and look at how the Father rejoices when He see's His lost son coming back to Him (the prodigal son, the tax collectors and prostitutes coming into the kingdom), if y'all were really smart, you would settle your accounts now and get in line (the shrewd manager, telling them what they can possibly do, also pointing to their love of money and how God see's that if a man is trustful with little (His sheep), when the true riches come ~ that of eternal life and it's untold glory ~ the true riches Christ speaks of in verse 11), ending with the rich man and Lazurus in Abrahams arms (the rich man and Lazarus, perhaps stating their fate, and hopefully some of them repented after His resurrection) What do you think?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Title: Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the New Testament

Author: Wiersbe, Warren W.

Wasting Wealth (16:1-12)

Like the prodigal (wasteful) son, this steward wasted his master’s goods, just as many people are doing today. All that we have comes from the Lord and must be used for the good of others and the glory of God. We are not owners; we are stewards of His possessions, and one day we must give an account of what we have done with what God has shared with us.
Jesus did not commend the steward for cheating his master, but for making good use of his opportunity. The people of this world are much better at seeing opportunities and profiting from them than are the children of God (Eph. 5:15-17). During this brief life, we have the opportunity to use wealth to make friends for God, friends who will meet us in heaven!
The key is faithfulness (vv. 10-12). The unrighteous mammon (money) is the least, but the eternal riches are “the most.” If we use God’s wealth as He wills, then He will give us true riches which are our own. Jesus did not see a “great gulf” fixed between the material and the spiritual, for one of the most spiritual things we can do is use material things to the glory of God in the winning of the lost.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godbehere
Advanced Member
Member # 4187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Godbehere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindgo,

"God uses evil things that we are familiar with to illustrate a particular point, without praising the thing itself. Other examples of this principle are when Paul used things like war and slavery as illustrations of the Christian life."

That is the part I was getting stuck on. Thanks for enlightening me.

--------------------
---------
Carl

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Posts: 50 | From: FL | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Carl,

For obvious reasons, this is Jesus’ most notorious parable. How could Jesus use such an obviously dishonest man as an example for His disciples?

God uses evil things that we are familiar with to illustrate a particular point, without praising the thing itself. Other examples of this principle are when Paul used things like war and slavery as illustrations of the Christian life.

Yet, the dishonest steward is a praiseworthy example on several points. First, he knew he would be called to account for his life and he took that seriously. Christians should take seriously the idea that they will be called to account, and that idea can be a joy if we are about our Master’s business! Second, he took advantage of his present position to arrange a comfortable future.

Jesus’ assessment is still true: the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light. If we pursued the Kingdom of God with the same vigor and zeal that the children of this world pursue profits and pleasure, we would live in an entirely different world.
[Bible]
From the Blue Letter Bible.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godbehere
Advanced Member
Member # 4187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Godbehere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tx GM and Eden,

I think it would make sense to me if it wasn't for v9.
The only translation that makes sense to me is the NET, which gives this:

Luk 16:9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by how you use worldly wealth, so that when it runs out you will be welcomed into the eternal homes.

But all other translations that I checked read as above; not sure why...

--------------------
---------
Carl

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face:now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Posts: 50 | From: FL | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Eden,

Verse 9 is about using money now with an eye to eternity.

"And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home."

Make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon: Jesus transfers the principle illustrated by the story of the unjust steward to us - we need to use our present resources to plan ahead for eternity.

That when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home: The world is filled with financial planners and advisers; and it is good for Christians to learn how to use their money wisely.

But when most Christians talk about wise money management, they forget to practice the most important kind of long term investing: investing with an eye to eternity.

The important thing is to invest your resources for the Lord now; most of us wait until the day when we think we will have enough.

In a 1992 survey, people were asked how much money they would have to make to have "the American dream." Those who earn $25,000 or less a year thought they would need around $54,000. Those in the $100,000 annual income bracket said that they could buy the dream for an average of $192,000 a year. These figures indicate that we typically think we would have to have double our income in order to find the good life.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Godbehere. And I think the most puzzling verse of the parable is this:

Luk 16:9 "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings.

Eden here:

What? Is the Lord telling us bornagain Christians to make friends with unrighteous people, so that, when what fails? The unrighteous will receive me into their eternal (aionios) dwellings?

That’s the most puzzling verse of this parable. How does this apply to Christians?

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Living Translation
Luke 16

Story of the Shrewd Manager
Jesus told this story to his disciples: "A rich man hired a manager to handle his affairs, but soon a rumor went around that the manager was thoroughly dishonest. 2 So his employer called him in and said, `What's this I hear about your stealing from me? Get your report in order, because you are going to be dismissed.'
3 "The manager thought to himself, `Now what? I'm through here, and I don't have the strength to go out and dig ditches, and I'm too proud to beg. 4 I know just the thing! And then I'll have plenty of friends to take care of me when I leave!'
5 "So he invited each person who owed money to his employer to come and discuss the situation. He asked the first one, `How much do you owe him?' 6 The man replied, `I owe him eight hundred gallons of olive oil.' So the manager told him, `Tear up that bill and write another one for four hundred gallons.*'
7 " `And how much do you owe my employer?' he asked the next man. `A thousand bushels of wheat,' was the reply. `Here,' the manager said, `take your bill and replace it with one for only eight hundred bushels.*'
8 "The rich man had to admire the dishonest rascal for being so shrewd. And it is true that the citizens of this world are more shrewd than the godly are. 9 I tell you, use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. In this way, your generosity stores up a reward for you in heaven.*
10 "Unless you are faithful in small matters, you won't be faithful in large ones. If you cheat even a little, you won't be honest with greater responsibilities. 11 And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? 12 And if you are not faithful with other people's money, why should you be trusted with money of your own?
13 "No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
-----------

Does this help?

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godbehere
Advanced Member
Member # 4187

I would appreciate input from others on this parable. I've checked a few commentaries, and the best I've found is that the master (of the manager) is commending him for his craftiness (or shrewdness).

I understand that the managers dishonesty was not being praised, but I must be missing something as to why Jesus would tell a parable with this moral.

Luk 16:1 Now He was also saying to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a manager, and this manager was reported to him as squandering his possessions.
Luk 16:2 "And he called him and said to him, 'What is this I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management, for you can no longer be manager.'
Luk 16:3 "The manager said to himself, 'What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig; I am ashamed to beg.
Luk 16:4 'I know what I shall do, so that when I am removed from the management people will welcome me into their homes.'
Luk 16:5 "And he summoned each one of his master's debtors, and he began saying to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?'
Luk 16:6 "And he said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' And he said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.'
Luk 16:7 "Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' And he said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' He *said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty.'
Luk 16:8 "And his master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own kind than the sons of light.
Luk 16:9 "And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by means of the wealth of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they will receive you into the eternal dwellings.

Any input appreciated...

--------------------
---------
Carl

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement