Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » WAS JESUS A VEGETARIAN?

Author Topic: WAS JESUS A VEGETARIAN?
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duet. 12:20

"When the Lord your God enlarges your border as He has promised you, and you say. 'Let me eat meat,' because you long to eat meat, you may eat as much meat as your heart desires.

If the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His namr is too far from you, then you may slaughter from your herd and from your flock which the Lord has given you, just as I have commanded you, and you may eat within your gates as much as your heart desires.
Just as the gazelle and the deer are eaten, so you may eat THEM: the unclean and the clean alike may eat them.
Only BE SURE that you do not eat the blood, for the blood is the life; you may NOT eat the Life(blood) WITH the meat.
You shall not eat it (the blood) but you shall pour it(the blood) on the earth like water.

Now you would have to kill the animal to pour out its blood on the earth, right?

Lets continue-

verse 27:

"And you shall offer your burnt offerings, The Meat and the Blood, on the alter of the Lord your God; and the blood of your sacrifices shall be pured out on the alter of the Lord your God, AND you SHALL EAT THE MEAT.

"The early gnostics taught abstinence from sex, marriage and certain foods. It was and still is a troublesome perversion of Judaism (and subsequently Christianity) with which the Apostles were forced to contend and refute. Among Gnostics many strange teachings, some adherents taught that the physical world (WHICH GOD CREATED) WAS INTRINSICALLY EVIL, and that the human body was a cage for the spirit.

Only by rejecting the physical world and its delights could the spirit be set free to soar.
Gnostics taught the dualistic belief in which the spiritual world is regarded as good and the physical world is regarded as evil.
Their adherents swore off sex and marriage and often subjected themselves to long fasts and rigid diets in order to Weaken their bodies so their spirits could be freed. They believed that the secret to setting their spirit free was the "seceret" knowledge (gnosis) imparted by divine revelation, usually through visions or angelic encounters. It is this exact heresy of Gnosticism that Paul addresses in 1Timothy and Colossians.

Paul labels Gnosticism-not the laws of clean and unclean- as a doctrine of demons.

Paul points out that the Torah says "everything created by God is GOOD as God "saw all that he had made, and it was very good"(Gen 1:31).
tHIS GOODNESS ALSO APPLIES TO FOODS AND TO SEXUAL RELATIONS, BOTH OF WHICH WERE CREATED TO BE ENJOYED.

Paul does imply however that we are free to indulge in every and any food and every and any sexual relationship, rather he says that permissable sex and permissable foods are "sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

Gods commandments say that intimacy with your neighbors spouse is not permissable, nor is eating his dog.

So Paul clearly labels Gnosticism-NOT the laws of clean and unclean as Doctrines of Demons."

(this was taken from the book "Holy Cow" Does God care about what we Eat? by Hope Egan.

I encourage everyone to get this book.

Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Ben-Shema
unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, I do not deny that many Christians do a great variety of 'humanitarian' work. So do many people from every other religion. Atheists, agnostics, as well as governments must also be included. However, what I am talking about (and I thought was the reason for this message board) is SPIRITUALITY and DIVINE KNOWLEDGE of GOD! The very purpose of our life. When I read some of you posts I truly wonder what is going on in your mind. Sometimes what you say is totally irrelevant to the question in hand.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A. Ben-Shema, I'll have u know that Christians do a lot of good deeds in the world, which, if the Chrsitians were not here, all of you would either have to do, pay for, or ignore at your own risk.

Be VERY thankful that the LORD God of Israel has created Christians in the earth, because, I think more than ANY OTHER religion, do THE MOST good works of ANY group other than the government (at least in countries where the government is benign, and not hopelessly corrupt), Christians DO THE MOST GOOD WORKS.

Is that true, or not, A. Ben-Shema? Or do you think their BAD deeds outweigh their GOOD deeds?

Be blessed, and save yourself for the next part to come on earth; don't miss out on it, Gautama.

Eden

A. Ben-Shema
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as smoking, drugs, alcohol, etc. etc. is concerned, I totally agree with you. These things destroy your own life, but that is entirely your choice. However, eating flesh causes the destruction of 'other' life (the animals) and this we have no right to do, no matter how little you might care for animals. For instance, in some societies cats, dogs, and horses are held in high esteem, in other societies these animals are killed for food (e.g. cats in China, Dogs in the Philippines, and horses in France). We might view these societies as barbaric, but what is the difference in killing a horse, or cow, or sheep, or whale etc. etc.??? In ancient times man was extremely barbaric, loving dog fights, bull fights, gladiatorial contests, throwing Christians to the lions, etc. etc. Civilisation has slowly changed the attitude of many, but Christianity (what I refer to as satanism) has not (because satanism cannot) made man more humane, Spiritual, or Godly! It simply gives him the right to do whatever he likes - to satisfy all his pagan desires.
BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the others have pointed out, Jesus was not a vegitarian. Although based upon the above responce you gave, it looks you question is more to whether or not christians should be vegitarians? The answer to that is No. The Bible talks about about eating meat throughout the Bible. The Bible even tells us that God will provide meat in heaven, as well as wine. But the question you should really be asking is whether or not YOU should be a vegitarian or not. That is something you need to work out for yourself. Not hold judgement over others, and we should not hold judgement over you for whether you decide to eat meat or not. This goes along with drinking alchol, smoking tobacco, taking drugs, getting married, what music you listen to, and a lot of other issues we all face. These are issues that the individual and God need to work out, and will only apply to the individual.

So look to the whole of the Bible to find your answer, not just what one source has picked out, or what any other people decide to pick out. You really can get the Bible to support anything if you try hard enough, you just really need to be seeking for the truth, not just confirmation of what you want the truth to be.

Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I tell you this out of love (I don't want to see the enemy deceive you into hell for eternity)

You are DECEIVED by evil spirits as PROVEN by Scripture (Yahweh's Word).

1 Timothy 4:1-5
(1) But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
(2) by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
(3) men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
(4) For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude;
(5) for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

You quote Scripture, but you DON'T believe it (which makes you LOST and DEAD in your sins)

2Ti 3:16
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
2Ti 3:17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

OTHERWISE you would belive THIS

Leviticus 11:1-47
(1) The LORD spoke again to Moses and to Aaron, saying to them,
(2) "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'These are the creatures which you may eat from all the animals that are on the earth.
(3) 'Whatever divides a hoof, thus making split hoofs, and chews the cud, among the animals, that you may eat.
(4) 'Nevertheless, you are not to eat of these, among those which chew the cud, or among those which divide the hoof: the camel, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you.
(5) 'Likewise, the shaphan, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you;
(6) the rabbit also, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you;
(7) and the pig, for though it divides the hoof, thus making a split hoof, it does not chew cud, it is unclean to you.
(8) 'You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.
(9) 'These you may eat, whatever is in the water: all that have fins and scales, those in the water, in the seas or in the rivers, you may eat.
(10) 'But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you,
(11) and they shall be abhorrent to you; you may not eat of their flesh, and their carcasses you shall detest.
(12) 'Whatever in the water does not have fins and scales is abhorrent to you.
(13) 'These, moreover, you shall detest among the birds; they are abhorrent, not to be eaten: the eagle and the vulture and the buzzard,
(14) and the kite and the falcon in its kind,
(15) every raven in its kind,
(16) and the ostrich and the owl and the sea gull and the hawk in its kind,
(17) and the little owl and the cormorant and the great owl,
(18) and the white owl and the pelican and the carrion vulture,
(19) and the stork, the heron in its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(20) 'All the winged insects that walk on all fours are detestable to you.
(21) 'Yet these you may eat among all the winged insects which walk on all fours: those which have above their feet jointed legs with which to jump on the earth.
(22) 'These of them you may eat: the locust in its kinds, and the devastating locust in its kinds, and the cricket in its kinds, and the grasshopper in its kinds.
(23) 'But all other winged insects which are four-footed are detestable to you.
(24) 'By these, moreover, you will be made unclean: whoever touches their carcasses becomes unclean until evening,
(25) and whoever picks up any of their carcasses shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening.
(26) 'Concerning all the animals which divide the hoof but do not make a split hoof, or which do not chew cud, they are unclean to you: whoever touches them becomes unclean.
(27) 'Also whatever walks on its paws, among all the creatures that walk on all fours, are unclean to you; whoever touches their carcasses becomes unclean until evening,
(28) and the one who picks up their carcasses shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening; they are unclean to you.
(29) 'Now these are to you the unclean among the swarming things which swarm on the earth: the mole, and the mouse, and the great lizard in its kinds,
(30) and the gecko, and the crocodile, and the lizard, and the sand reptile, and the chameleon.
(31) 'These are to you the unclean among all the swarming things; whoever touches them when they are dead becomes unclean until evening.
(32) 'Also anything on which one of them may fall when they are dead becomes unclean, including any wooden article, or clothing, or a skin, or a sack--any article of which use is made--it shall be put in the water and be unclean until evening, then it becomes clean.
(33) 'As for any earthenware vessel into which one of them may fall, whatever is in it becomes unclean and you shall break the vessel.
(34) 'Any of the food which may be eaten, on which water comes, shall become unclean, and any liquid which may be drunk in every vessel shall become unclean.
(35) 'Everything, moreover, on which part of their carcass may fall becomes unclean; an oven or a stove shall be smashed; they are unclean and shall continue as unclean to you.
(36) 'Nevertheless a spring or a cistern collecting water shall be clean, though the one who touches their carcass shall be unclean.
(37) 'If a part of their carcass falls on any seed for sowing which is to be sown, it is clean.
(38) 'Though if water is put on the seed and a part of their carcass falls on it, it is unclean to you.
(39) 'Also if one of the animals dies which you have for food, the one who touches its carcass becomes unclean until evening.
(40) 'He too, who eats some of its carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening, and the one who picks up its carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until evening.
(41) 'Now every swarming thing that swarms on the earth is detestable, not to be eaten.
(42) 'Whatever crawls on its belly, and whatever walks on all fours, whatever has many feet, in respect to every swarming thing that swarms on the earth, you shall not eat them, for they are detestable.
(43) 'Do not render yourselves detestable through any of the swarming things that swarm; and you shall not make yourselves unclean with them so that you become unclean.
(44) 'For I am the LORD your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. And you shall not make yourselves unclean with any of the swarming things that swarm on the earth.
(45) 'For I am the LORD who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy.'"
(46) This is the law regarding the animal and the bird, and every living thing that moves in the waters and everything that swarms on the earth,
(47) to make a distinction between the unclean and the clean, and between the edible creature and the creature which is not to be eaten.

You MUST believe Scripture, because satan WILL deceive you with FALSE revelation.

You CAN NOT - CAN NOT trust your CORRUPTED flesh in determining the spiritual.

NO ONE can

You MUST test the spirits against Scripture.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE heed what I'm posting.

Brothers and sisters here at Christian BBS - PRAY for this person - he is not bad - just deceived by the enemy - as ALL of us have been at times.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Ben-Shema
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reply to everyone who has so far posted on this subject, I would like to quote R.A.Anderson:

(N.B. the notes are below the text)
According to the Bible, in the beginning, before the “fall” of mankind into error and sin, God said: “I have given you (mankind) every seed bearing plant upon the Earth, and every vegetable substance which bears fruit and yields seed: this shall be your food.” (GEN.1:29). PEAKE’S COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE states of this verse: “Men and animals are regarded as living on a vegetarian diet in the period before the flood. There would thus be peace between men and animals, and in the animal world itself… It had not been God’s original intention that food should be obtained by slaughter.” However, a later passage in GENESIS has been interpreted by various orthodox authorities as permitting the use of animal flesh for food. The passage in question has been translated into English to read: “Every moving (or ‘creeping’) thing (Heb. remes) that lives shall be food for you; even as the green herbs have I (God) given you everything. But flesh which contains conscious life (or ‘soul’), that is, anything containing blood, you shall not eat.” (GEN.9:3-4). Mainstream Jews have always interpreted this passage to mean that God had somehow ‘changed His mind,’ now allowing animal flesh to be eaten, provided that all the blood was first drained out.[1] However, there is one crucial word contained in the Hebrew original of this passage, which has been incorrectly understood. It is the very word that defines that which is allowed as our food – the Hebrew term remes. It is agreed that this word signifies: “that which ‘creeps’ (‘moves slowly’ or ‘spreads out’) over ground or in water.” Orthodoxy is undecided as to what the term really means. It has been translated variously as “reptiles”, “insects,” “swarming things,” “creatures that move,” “creeping things,” “sea creatures,” and generally as “any creature” whatsoever. This definition of “creeping” or “spreading out slowly” over the land or in water, however, clearly does not apply to many animals – especially not to those which are commonly slaughtered for food, e.g. cattle, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.[2] In fact the definition of “remes” more accurately describes ‘vegetation’ (i.e. ‘plants’ or ‘creepers’) in general; nothing else fits the definition of having a “slow ‘creeping’ movement” – unless God intended us to eat worms, slugs, snails, and various other ‘creepy-crawlies’![3] If we now look at a revised translation of this passage which we have been considering, it should become clear that God did not ‘change His mind’,[4] and that His original decree (i.e. that we should eat only vegetable substances) is consistent, correct, and perfect (as anything which God decrees must surely be!): “All living plants are for your food: just as the green herbs, I (God) have given them all to you. But flesh, which has soul – i.e. anything containing blood – you must not eat.” It should also be noted that the restriction of not eating anything containing blood does NOT mean that if the blood is drained out of an animal the flesh may then be eaten, as the carnal[5] (i.e. “flesh” loving) priesthoods of orthodoxy have inferred.[6]

When God said that we must not eat anything which contains blood, He simply meant that we must not eat any kind of animal – all of which contain blood! To simply drain the blood out of an animal in order to get around the law is typical of what the evil (ignorant) minds of orthodoxy have so often done – rather like a lawyer looking for “loopholes” in the law. For further confirmation of these facts, let us now look at a few more passages from ancient scripture:

“Thou shalt not kill.” (EXOD.20:13).

“This is an eternal ordinance for all generations, wherever you live: You must not eat any flesh or any blood.” (LEV.3:17).

“If any Israelite or other person eats blood, I (the Lord) will turn Myself against him and cut him off from among My people.” (LEV.17:10).

It is practically impossible to remove every particle of blood from the flesh of any animal. Thus, it should be obvious that in eating animal flesh one cannot avoid eating blood – however little it might be! Quite simply, God clearly forbids the eating of anything containing blood. All animals contain blood. Thus, we must not eat animals! This is really very simple, yet it is rejected by the carnal mind.

“While the flesh was still between their (the Israelites in the desert who lusted for flesh to eat) teeth, not even chewed, the anger of the Lord broke out against them, and He struck them with a deadly plague. That place was thus called ‘The Graves of Lust’ (Heb. Kibroth-hattaavah), for there they buried those who had lusted [for flesh].” (NUM.11:33-34).

“Keep away from winebibbers and those who gorge on flesh.” (PROV.23:20).

“The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; the calf and the young lion shall live together… The lion shall eat straw like the ox… they shall not hurt or destroy in all My Holy Mountain.” (ISAIAH 11:6-9 & 65:25).

“Behold their joy and pleasure: killing oxen and slaughtering sheep, eating flesh and drinking wine… These sins will not be cleansed until you die, says the Lord.” (ISAIAH 22:13-14).

“He that kills an ox is as he that murders a man; he that sacrifices a lamb is as he that breaks a dog’s neck… Yes, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations… They do that which is evil, and choose that which displeases Me (God).” (ISAIAH 66:3-4).

“You eat blood, you worship idols (i.e. material things), you shed blood: so do you expect to inherit the land?” (EZEK.33:25).

“Daniel was determined not to defile himself with the flesh and wine offered to him… give us only vegetables to eat and water to drink.” (DAN.1:8-16).

“I (Daniel) ate no rich food, and no flesh or wine entered into my mouth.” (DAN.10:3).

“They (those who reject the Lord) sacrifice and eat flesh against the will of the Lord, so He will remember their iniquity and punish their sins.” (HOSEA 8:13).

“The violence done in Lebanon will overcome you; the slaughter of animals will cause you much sorrow.” (HAB.2:17).

“I (the Lord) will take the blood from his mouth and the abominations from between his teeth.” (ZECH.9:7).

“Eat only the fruits of the field, and taste no flesh or wine, but eat only the fruit.” (2ndESDRAS or 4thEZRA 9:24).

“They (carnal people) began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish: they devoured their flesh and drank their blood.” (1stENOCH 7:5).

“Woe to you, you obstinate of heart, who do evil and devour blood, even though you have good things to eat and drink and be satisfied.” (1stENOCH 98:11).

“I (Reuben) repented before the Lord: I drank no wine or liquor, and no flesh entered my mouth.” (Testament of REUBEN 1:10).

“Since I (Judah) repented of these sins I consumed neither wine nor flesh.” (Testament of JUDAH 15:4).

“When we desire to eat seafood or poultry or four-legged animals or any food which is forbidden by the Law, we abstain through our mastery of reason.” (4thMACCABEES 1:34).

“No man shall defile himself by eating any living creature.” (Dead Sea Scrolls: ‘Damascus Rule’ 14:12).

“They (the disciples of Isaiah) all dressed in garments made of wool, and they were all Prophets… and they ate nothing but wild herbs… and they lived thereon together with Isaiah the Prophet.” (Martyrdom of Isaiah 2:10-11).

“It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine.” (ROM.14:21).

“I (Paul) will never eat flesh again.” (1stCOR.8:13).

The two previous quotations are taken from rather confused passages in Paul’s letters. It is possible that these passages have been corrupted by a ‘carnal’ scribe of orthodoxy. As they now stand, they imply that Paul recommended abstention from flesh merely to appease certain Christians who were vegetarian. However, such a position would be inconsistent with Paul’s uncompromising attitude to what he believed to be the Truth. For instance, his attitude to the Jewish law of circumcision was by no means one of appeasement. He refused to give in to certain Hebrew-Christian ‘legalists’/ ‘literalists’ who demanded adherence to the Biblical law of circumcision. Thus he refused to demand (or even recommend) circumcision for Gentile converts to Christianity. Is it, then, likely that Paul would recommend vegetarianism for any reason other than what he believed to be the Truth? – nay, not merely recommend, but actually say that he, himself, would NEVER AGAIN EAT ANY FLESH! However, there are grave reasons why we should not put our trust in anything which Paul says – for reasons, see Appendix 7, p.195.

“Lord, come and grant [Spiritual] Life and Breath and secure footing to these creatures (i.e. the Spiritually ignorant), that they may forsake their beastly natures and become tame, and no longer eat flesh… that humane hearts be given them… that they may eat what we eat.” (Acts of Philip 99).

“For their (evil ones) food is everything which is dead, and every unclean thing. For when these are within you, what living thing will come into you? The living angels will detest you. You were a temple, (but) you have made yourself a tomb. Cease being a tomb, and become (again) a temple, so that uprightness and divinity may remain in you.” (Coptic – Teaching of Silvanus).

“The Almighty God rained manna upon them, suited to their various tastes; and they enjoyed all that they would. But they, because of their bastard nature, not being pleased with pure food, longed only after the taste of blood. Wherefore they first tasted flesh.” (Clementine Homilies 8:15).

Clement of Alexandria (2nd Century Bishop of Alexandria) also recommended a fleshless diet, citing the example of the Apostle Matthew, who, he says: “partook of seeds, nuts, and vegetables, but no flesh.” (Paedagogus 2:1).

“James, the Lord’s brother, was holy from birth: he drank no wine or intoxicating liquor, and ate no animal flesh.” (Hegesippus – 2ndcentury Jewish Christian) – quoted by Eusebius CHURCH HISTORY 2, 23:4).

There were also various “unorthodox” Mystic sects among first-century Jews (e.g. the Essenes) who were strict vegetarians. It is interesting to note that the Essenes were the only large Jewish sect that was not, according to the New Testament, condemned or criticised by Jesus. Furthermore, in addition to the above evidence that SS. Matthew and James were vegetarians, it is also reported by Epiphanius that St. John ate no animal flesh. It is also a fact that many other early Jewish disciples of Jesus – those who rejected worldly greed and private ownership of goods, choosing instead a simple, poor, ‘communistic’ life-style (see ACTS 2:44-45, & 4:32-37), and thus accruing the labels “Ebionites” / “Nazarites”[7] – are known to have been vegetarians.[8] It is not difficult to see why the later self-styled “orthodox” gentile hierarchies, which were becoming powerful and wealthy, rejected the simple communistic Ebionites as heretics![9] It is also relevant to note that, according to Epiphanius, the Ebionites possessed a Hebrew (or Aramaic[10]) “Gospel of Matthew” (possibly the original “autographa” – no longer extant) which stated that John the Baptist ate “bread and wild honey” instead of the “locusts and wild honey” which our extant Greek manuscripts record (see MATT.3:4). There is an ancient Greek word for “bread” (ejnkriv" = encris) which is very similar to that for “locust” (ajkriv" = akris), thus it is quite probable that a very early copyist of a Greek translation of the text misread and/or miscopied the word in question. It must also be noted that the Mandaeans – the reputed followers of this John (the Baptist) – were also originally strict vegetarians.

Eusebius (263-339 AD), who wrote the earliest extant history of Christianity, adds to the evidence supporting vegetarianism in a passage from a letter he preserved from some very early Christians in Gaul. There had apparently been accusations that Christians were killing and eating the flesh of children. The argument given against this charge was: “How could children be eaten by people (i.e. Christians) who are not even allowed to eat the blood of brute beasts?” (Eusebius, HISTORY OF THE CHURCH, book 5, 1:26).

Finally, it should be noted that Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook, the first Chief Rabbi of Israel, taught that vegetarianism was an ideal of pure religion, and that in the Messianic age all genuine followers of the Messiah will be vegetarian!
[1] It must be understood that God is Perfect in every respect, and therefore everything He thinks, says, commands, or does must be eternally and universally PERFECT. If there is any need, at any time, for any change to any of God’s pronouncements, then they cannot have been Perfect. To suggest that God would somehow change His mind – for whatever reason – is to belittle Him and His Divine Intelligence. Is God not said to be Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent? Rather, as we will see, it was the evil mind of man that changed and corrupted God’s commands.
[2] The Hebrew term for all “living things” (in general) is hayah; and the term for quadrupeds (i.e. all four legged animals) is behemah. Neither of these terms is used in this passage that defines what humans may eat.
[3] “All the insects that swarm upon the Earth are unclean, and shall not be eaten. Whether they slither on their belly’s, or walk on four legs, or many legs, all the multitude of insects are unclean and must not be eaten.” (LEV.11:41-42).
[4] How could God’s Truth, and His commands ever be in error, and necessitate revision over any issue? Such an absurd idea degrades the very essence of God and His all-knowing Perfection. See e.g. NUM.23:19.
[5] The word carnal (from the Latin carnis = flesh) is frequently used in the New Testament to signify that which is opposed to the Spirit. What could signify a more unspiritual lifestyle than killing and consuming the flesh of innocent animals? The late Dr. Robert Runcie (Archbishop of Canterbury) said on this subject: “In the Christian ascetic tradition, as in many eastern religions, vegetarianism is regarded as a way of achieving a heightened consciousness and receptivity of the spiritual world.” Indeed, if this is so, why then, one must ask, do the ministers of the so-called Christian churches not teach this to their congregations? Moreover, why are those ministers themselves not all vegetarians? Is it not their aim to achieve a heightened consciousness and receptivity of the spiritual world? Could it be that they are frightened of upsetting and/or losing more of their carnal and worldly congregations? Or is it because of an overwhelming sensual desire or blood lust? Some suggestions are given in their own scriptures: see e.g. ISAIAH 22:13 & 66:3; EZEK.22:26; & MAL.2:7-8.
[6] See e.g. LEV.17:13. Fabre d’Olivet, an 18th Century Mystic and scholar of the ancient Hebrew language, states of the traditional translation and interpretation of GEN.9:3: “I regret the trouble that the Hellenists have taken to disguise the force of this verse (GEN.9:3) and the ensuing ones… the discreet complaisance of the Latin translator, who has chosen to pass in silence the words which have perplexed him; but at last it is necessary that Moses be translated… Long enough have these magnificent tableaux been degraded by the sorry caricatures which have been made of them. They must be known in their original conception… In fact, this is beyond doubt: Moses, by the mouth of the Divinity, forbids the posterity of Noah to feed upon corporeal substances, the similitude of that which his soul bears in himself.” (Fabre d’Olivet, The Hebraic Tongue Restored).
[7] The term Ebionite comes from the Hebrew: ’ebion (= poor, poverty). Nazarite (more correctly Nazirite) comes from the Hebrew nazir (= consecrated, separated) i.e. a type of ascetic who is dedicated to God, see e.g. JUDGES 13:5-7; compare with: “So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: He shall be called a Nazarene (i.e. Nazirite).” (MATT.2:23). Thus, Nazarene is probably an inaccurate Greek transliteration of the Hebrew nazirim, and has no connection with the town of Nazareth (there are 6 different (erroneous) Greek versions of this term in the NT). Among those historically important contemporaries of Jesus who are reported to have taken the Nazirite vow are John the Baptist, St. James (Jesus’ brother), St. John, and, on a temporary basis, St. Paul (see e.g. LUKE 1:15; cf. NUM.6:2-3; ACTS 18:18 & 21:23-24). It is also worth noting that the disciples of John the Baptist (the Mandaeans) have a priestly caste called Nasoreans (Heb. = ‘watchers,’ ‘keepers,’ or ‘protectors’ – of Truth); see above, page 28 note 56.
[8] For more information about the Ebionites, see article in THE CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF CHRISTIANITY.
[9] See Paul Johnson, A HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY, Pelican paperback ed. pp.42-43 & 90-91.
[10] Aramaic was the language used by Jesus and his original Jewish disciples, and would thus be the obvious language for all original records of his teachings and deeds.

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did not Jesus partake of the Passover Lamb, as most Jews would have done?

Mark 14:12
And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

passover:

Strong's Number: 3957 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
pavsca of Aramaic origin cf (06453)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Pascha 5:896,797
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
pas'-khah Noun Neuter
Definition

1. the paschal sacrifice (which was accustomed to be offered for the people's deliverance of old from Egypt)
2. the paschal lamb, i.e. the lamb the Israelites were accustomed to slay and eat on the fourteenth day of the month of Nisan (the first month of their year) in memory of the day on which their fathers, preparing to depart from Egypt, were bidden by God to slay and eat a lamb, and to sprinkle their door posts with its blood, that the destroying angel, seeing the blood, might pass over their dwellings; Christ crucified is likened to the slain paschal lamb
3. the paschal supper
4. the paschal feast, the feast of the Passover, extending from the 14th to the 20th day of the month Nisan

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, A. Ben-Shema. You said:

I would like to hear the opinions of the members on this issue. Do you think God intended us to be vegetarian?

Eden here:

We know that Jesus ate fish and honeycomb and bread, and he regularly sat down at people’s houses, and no doubt, they must have eaten lamb and goat.

In the garden of Eden state, before man sinned by running his own life instead of listening to God’s input only, in this garden of Eden man apparently did not eat any of the animals.

But once we sinned, God allowed us to eat animals. But whatsoever we eat, if we give thanks for it to God, God will bless it:

John 6:11
And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.

1 Timothy 4:3-5
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God has created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4 For every creature of God is good and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving.

5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

To answer your Topic, no, Jesus ate fish and bread, and almost certainly ate lamb and goat at the many tables where he was invited to eat and at Peter’s house.

Be blessed.

Eden

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, no, Jesus was not a vegetarian. The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43) and lamb (Luke 22:8-15). Jesus miraculously fed the crowds fish and bread, a strange thing for Him to do if He was a vegetarian (Matthew 14:17-21). In a vision to the Apostle Peter Jesus declared all foods to be clean, including animals (Acts 10:10-15). After the Flood in Noah's time, God gave humanity permission to eat meat (Genesis 9:2-3). God has never taken this permission back.

With all that said, there is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. The Bible does not command us to eat meat. There is nothing wrong with eating meat. There is nothing wrong with abstaining from eating meat. What the Bible tells us is that we should not force our convictions on this issue onto other people. Romans 14:2-3 tells us, "One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him."

Again, God gave humanity permission to eat meat after the Flood (Genesis 9:3). In the Old Testament law, the nation of Israel was commanded to not eat certain foods (Leviticus 11:1-47), but never commanded against eating meat. Jesus declared all foods, including all kinds of meat, to be clean (Mark 7:19). As with anything, each and every Christian should pray for guidance as to what God would have them eat. Whatever a person decides to eat is acceptable to God as long as we thank Him for providing (1 Thessalonians 5:18). 1 Corinthians 10:31 declares, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Christian-vegetarian.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powerhouse
Advanced Member
Member # 3826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for powerhouse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A vegetarian wouldn't cook fish...

--------------------
The Powerhouse Ministry
Blogs, Podcasts, Books and More
100% Free

Posts: 89 | From: Beverly Hills, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Ben-Shema
unregistered

Icon 17 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to hear the opinions of the members on this issue. Do you think God intended us to be vegetarian?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement