Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Two Earths

Author Topic: Two Earths
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't got involved with creation debates so far, but I felt moved to drop in on this. I think that scripture doesn't support the idea of two earths, and it's just seem to be a way to try and find an obscure method to marry up the scientific consensus with scripture.

It's won't surprise to most here that I don't believe in a literal translation of the Genesis story - the essential truth and message of Genesis is not diminished if it is not literally true but an allegory in the same way as those told by Jesus.

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,
I just had a thought on this as I was reading ya'lls messages. Could a simple reading of these verses be like; Gen 1:1 is a definitive statement.
Gen 1:2 to Gen 2 is how that statement came about just like Gen 2 is a further explaination of the creation of Adam and Eve.

Just to give a brief knowledge of my viewpoint, I think creation happened as stated in the scriptures, and there has only been about 6000 years of history since that time includung dino's et al. I have studied this subject and the evidence is there to show any and all that the scriptures are true.

just some thoughts,
Rick

Posts: 43 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The earth was "tohu va bohu" before the Spirit of God moved like a warming hen upon the waters and God created....

I think much of the controversy surrounds the LORD God telling telling Adam and Eve to "replenish" the earth:

Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Strong’s Concordance 4390
Gen 1:28 And God 0430 blessed 01288 them, and God 0430 said 0559 unto them, Be fruitful 06509 , and multiply 07235 , and replenish 04390 the earth 0776, and subdue it 03533 : and have dominion 07287 over the fish 01710 of the sea 03220, and over the fowl 05775 of the air 08064, and over every living thing 02416 that moveth 07430 upon the earth 0776.

Gen 9:1 And God 0430 blessed 01288 Noah 05146 and his sons 01121, and said 0559 unto them, Be fruitful 06509 , and multiply 07235 , and replenish 04390 the earth 0776.

3229 Yimla' yeem-law' or Yimlah {yim-law'}; from 4390; full; Jimla or Jimlah, an Israelite:--Imla, Imlah.

4390 male' maw-lay' or malae (Esth. 7:5) {maw-law'}; a primitive root, to fill or (intransitively) be full of, in a wide application (literally and figuratively):--accomplish, confirm, + consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X draw, give in, go) full(-ly, -ly set, tale), (over-)flow, fulness, furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space, take a (hand-)full, + have wholly.

4391 mla' mel-aw' (Aramaic) corresponding to 4390; to fill:--fill, be full.

4392 male' maw-lay' from 4390; full (literally or figuratively) or filling (literally); also (concretely) fulness; adverbially, fully:--X she that was with child, fill(-ed, -ed with), full(-ly), multitude, as is worth.

4393 mlo' mel-o' rarely mlowf {mel-o'}; or mlow (Ezekiel 41:8), {mel-o'}; from 4390; fulness (literally or figuratively):--X all along, X all that is (there-)in, fill, (X that whereof...was) full, fulness, (hand- )full, multitude.

4394 millu' mil-loo' from 4390; a fulfilling (only in plural), i.e. (literally) a setting (of gems), or (technically) consecration (also concretely, a dedicatory sacrifice):--consecration, be set.

Eden here:

It would appear from the above examples that 4390 does NOT mean REPLENISH, but means FILL or MAKE FULL OF.

The KJV translation of "replenish" for 4390 appears to be, well, fleshly. The Hebrew 4390 seems to mean MUCH MORE THAN THAT and more frequently TO FILL or TO FILL UP instead of to REPLENISH.

So there probably was only one earth sequence intended from Genesis 1:1 onward.

Genesis 1
1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2And the earth was "without form and void" (tohu va bohu) and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Be blessed, everybody.

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason that I ask this question is because according to ancient Sumarian legends Earth used to be called Timat, or something to that nature.
The Sumarian's said that it existed between the planets Mars & Jupiter. They beleived that every 3600 years a planet by the name of Nibiru, or something to that nature, passed between Mars & Jupiter.
They said that the planet Nibiru slammed into Timat and split it in half, thus forming the Astroid belt, and knocking the other half of Timat into a different orbit.
Timat is now known as Earth. Prehaps if this theory is true it would explain why the bible makes, suspected, reference to God creating Earth the first time, and then starting over again.
Now science is starting to confirm this theory of Earth existing at one time between Mars & Jupiter.
This could also explain the creation, and evolution theory and prove evolution wrong, while still keeping carbon dating correct.

ONe of the biggest arguments for the Creationist's beleife is that the sun shrinks ever year and a few million years ago it would have been past earth... but not Mars. If Earth was past Mars and before Jupiter, then the sun would be about the same distance from the earth that it is now, this life could exist there.

THis is all my own thoughts... what do you think?

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT I DON'T BELEIVE THIS. IT IS ONLY AN IDEA NOT A BELIFE. BELIFE'S CAN'T BE CHANGED, IDEA'S CAN.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powerhouse
Advanced Member
Member # 3826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for powerhouse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billye Brim (http://www.billyebrim.org) taught on the concept of the gap theory... looking at the Hebrew where the Earth existed for some unknown period of time and became Towhu v' Bowhu.

It certainly counters what the evolutionists try to oppose.

--------------------
The Powerhouse Ministry
Blogs, Podcasts, Books and More
100% Free

Posts: 89 | From: Beverly Hills, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello MentorsRiddle,

Hope this helps, what your are asking is called the "Gap Theory"

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c003.html

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most everything I have heard about this is debate about whether or not there is a period of time between Gen.1:1 & Gen.1:2.

Those opposed to the idea call it the "Gap Theory",
to find info contradicting the idea run a search on "Gap Theory".

Some supporters of this theory call this the
Pre-Adamite world.
A search on Pre-Adamite would likely get info in favor of the theory.
(Dake's Annotated Reference Bible also has a good many notes favoring the Pre-Adamite Theory)

It will also lead to a theory of two world wide floods.
Supporters will speak of the Luciferian or Lucifer's Flood and Noah's Flood.(you might search those)

Some I know less about are those who believe in this gap but speak of the first earth age, second earth age, and third earth age.
I know less about these groups but do think some of the other docterine I've haerd from them is bad.
But a search on earth ages would probably give some info.

I have been around people so opposed to the idea of a gap between Gen.1:1 & Gen.1:2, that they will say anyone that believes it can't be Christian.

I have also been around Pre-Adamites who I saw as solid in Bible doctrine.

This will probably interest you
GEN.1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Is.45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

vain in Is.45:18 is
from Strong's
08414 wht tohuw to’-hoo
from an unused root meaning to lie waste; TWOT-2494a; n m

AV-vain 4, vanity 4, confusion 3, without form 2, wilderness 2, nought 2, nothing 1, empty place 1, waste 1; 20

1) formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness
1a) formlessness (of primeval earth)
1a1) nothingness, empty space
1b) that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)
1c) wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)
1d) place of chaos
1e) vanity
++++

Gen.1:2 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

without form in Gen.1:2 is that same word-

Gen.1:1 - God created the heavens and the earth
Is.45:18 - the LORD created the heavens, God himself formed and made the earth.
He didn't create it in vain/without form.
Gen.1:2 - the earth was without form/vain.

That is the root of Pre-Adamite theory.

Oppositon from the non-Gap group is usually tied to a literal six, 24 hour days theory.
(a search on six day creation will give some good info)

Maybe this will let you find something on both sides
I pray you are led by the Holy Spirit and find the truth you seek.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Afternoon,

I have debated challenging you with this question for some time now. Because I am needing reliable and thought through information.

I have heard it spoken that God created Earth two times. The first time, then wiped it clean and started over again… at least something to this effect.

Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement