Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » whose money is it anyway?

Author Topic: whose money is it anyway?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, TB125. You said:

Brian and Eden,
You both have apparently forgotten about God's requirements for His "stewards". God requires an accounting from those to whom He gives His money (and other resources). He wants a report regarding what each of His "stewards" did with the resources that they were given. He wants a statement regarding His investment.

Eden here:

You make a good point. I was more thinking of sons but I can see that sons also need to be "good stewards" of what their father has given them; the father does not want it wasted and wants what the father has given to the sons to be well-managed.

But I'm sure that the sons used the majority of their money on something for themselves which had nothing with their father.

But unless they have moved out on their own, then they do have a responsibility to "help out around the House."

And God may put out lazy sons who continue to live like the devil (i.e., all the same activities, all the same attitudes, as before they accepted the free gift).

I do think God expects us to help out in His vineyard; and if not, it may be a woe.

Be blessed everyone,

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
quote:
Originally posted by BrianGrass1234:
Your right. God gives us the money. Its not on loan. We aren't financial advisers playing with God's money.

I'm talking more to the fact that as christians, we have given our lives over to do God's will. So if our lives our not our own, everything we own is technically God's also. So it is our money, but we are called to use the resources we have in alignment with God's will. Is that better? or am I still wrong?

No you are not wrong, you are correct. Only when people want to justify spending the money on themselves and not doing God's will with it will you hear them argue that it is their money. They want to keep it and do as they please with it. You are not to just give it away. You are to do God's will with it. Yes you are to pay your own bills, but you are not suppost to horde it for yourself or even worse fleece the flock and horde the money the people think they are giving to God.
[clap2] [clap2] [clap2] [clap2] [clap2]

Amen, David, amen to all of that!

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian and Eden,
You both have apparently forgotten about God's requirements for His "stewards". God requires an accounting from those to whom He gives His money (and other resources). He wants a report regarding what each of His "stewards" did with the resources that they were given. He wants a statement regarding His investment. But not only that, He wants a return from his investment. According to Jesus' parable regard God's entrustment of His "talents" to His "servants", He apparently expects a 200% return (see Matt 25:14-30).

So the issue is really not who owns the "money", the issue is really what are you doing with it. What are you doing with all of the gifts and resources that God has given to you (and to me)?

Stewards don't possess any property; they only use it and keep it for their "master's" benefit! We shouldn't forget this or be confused about this responsibility.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrianGrass1234:
Your right. God gives us the money. Its not on loan. We aren't financial advisers playing with God's money.

I'm talking more to the fact that as christians, we have given our lives over to do God's will. So if our lives our not our own, everything we own is technically God's also. So it is our money, but we are called to use the resources we have in alignment with God's will. Is that better? or am I still wrong?

No you are not wrong, you are correct. Only when people want to justify spending the money on themselves and not doing God's will with it will you hear them argue that it is their money. They want to keep it and do as they please with it. You are not to just give it away. You are to do God's will with it. Yes you are to pay your own bills, but you are not suppost to horde it for yourself or even worse fleece the flock and horde the money the people think they are giving to God.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right again. I'm not going to argue with you. I must not be communicating this well.

We should be giving our whole lives to God. I know I'm not there yet. Not even close really. I want to, but I let myself get in the way.

But if we should be giving our whole lives to God, then we should be reconizing that our live is not our own, but God's. Even though we take parts or all of it back every once in a while. And that what we have should be seen as God's and not our own.

Thats why in that other thread I spoke about how we, as individuals, need to be looking at how we are living our lives, specifically in the other thread in spending our money, to see if we are following God's will with it rather than sinful desires such as greed or vanity.

So you are right in saying God gave us our money. You are also right when you say that for most christians, our lives are not totally, 100% of the time turned over to God, but we do keep portions or take back parts at times. Therefore at those times the money would not be Gods because we are keeping it from him. But in theory, we should be 100% commited and therefore the money would then be 100% Gods.

Although couldn't God take away that money if he wanted. Would we call God a theif then. We wouldn't. Then I guess that does make the money Gods. I don't know. What do you think?

Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

BrianGrass1234 said:

Eden here:

You write: "...as christians, we have given our lives over to do God's will."

Eden here:

Is that so? Have I or you totally given our life over to do God's will? I have given PART of my life over to do God's will, and I am thankful for the parts that are no longer the devil's.

But probably not in this life will I be able to , "give my life over to do God's will" and that probably will not be attained until I am glorified.

Only Jesus was able to give His life over to do God's will.

Therefore the idea cannot be used to then further say, "since my whole life is doing God's will, therefore all my money is really now God's".

Are you living a life like that? Probably not until you are glorified.

Be blessed.

Eden

BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

In another thread, BrianGrass1234 said:

A christians money and things should be seen as God's stuff anyway. So if that is the truth then you should never be proud of your wealth, because it is not yours.

Eden here: Since I became a Christian I occasionally heard it said, that "the money isn't ours, it is God's money" or some variant of that.

I really don't think that is true. I'm thinking of King David's household with his many wives and his sons, let's say David had 15 sons.

King David GAVE STUFF to his kids and what they got from daddy BECAME THE SONS' STUFF; the son now owned it.

While the Father had it, it was His. But when He gave some of it away to his sons and daughters, it was no longer His but belonged to the sons and daughters.

For instance, let's say that God as King wants me to have $20,000, but each time He gives it to me, I give it away. If I keep doing that, how is God going to get the $20,000 to me? Some gifts from God to His sons and daughters (us) are intented as OUR blessings, not someone else's.

So anyway, it is mine now and not His once it has been given to me. And what I do with it is also decided by me, but as a bornagain Christian hopefully with the wise counsel of the Holy Spirit

So, whose money is it anyway?

Be blessed.

Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement