Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Note on Matthew 16:13-19

Author Topic: Note on Matthew 16:13-19
Primoa1970
Advanced Member
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primoa1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting thing sometimes happens when you read scripture.....the Holy Spirit opens your eyes to new and exciting things. Such is the case with these verses and myself:

Matthew 16
Peter's Confession of Christ
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
14 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15 "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Much has been said about these verses over the years. One thing that I just realized the other day when studying them.....Jesus uses 2 different words for Peter: Petros and Petras. One means small rock...the other means large, immovable rock.

Jesus wasn't saying that He was going to build His church on Peter (Petras), but rather....that He would build His church on the solid, foundational truth (Petros)which Peter just confessed to.

Unfortunately, Roman Catholics revere Peter because of this misinterpretation of the scripture...ie....St Peter's Basillica in Rome....

What a wonderful gift God has given to us in the person of the indwelling Spirit....who guides us into ALL truth.

-Primo

--------------------
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Posts: 639 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement