Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » If there were no holy God...

Author Topic: If there were no holy God...
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discernment

(Jeremiah 9:12-16; 1 Corinthians 3:12-15)

Jeremiah states that wisdom and enlightenment are not to be found among the infatuated people, they have been swept away from right judgment by false prophets who taught that everything develops along a natural rational line. That was the infatuation in Jeremiah’s day, and in our own day the proclaimers of the truth of God are in the minority; men won’t listen to them.

There are those who say there is no such thing as the supernatural incoming of Jesus Christ, either in history or in the human heart. Our Lord Jesus Christ is not Someone Who has sprung from human nature by evolution: He is Someone Who has come crushing into the human nature by the superb miracle of the Incarnation. The supernatural is the only explanation of our lives if we are right with God, and at any moment God may tumble our lives up as He likes. The question is, Are we willing to let Him? We have to maintain our personal relationship to God in Christ Jesus, no matter what happens. The one thing that is of value to God in a human life is a personal relationship of holiness to God, and every part of physical, mental, moral life and of Christian work that is not so related will be desolated and burnt as rubbish.

Chambers, O. (1999, c1936). Notes on Jeremiah (electronic ed.). London: Oswald Chambers Publication Association, Ltd.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahar:
quote:
Originally posted by David:
If God would only stop being holy, stop demanding personal holiness, bodily and mental chastity, we would be happy. Yes, but on the way to hell.

I'm not sure that we would be happy. I think that God's design for human behaviour and society fits together in a very logical whole system - if everyone kept to all of God's laws all of the time and did not sin then we would be happy and content. The model for this is the garden of Eden - before eating the Apple from the tree of knowledge the two were happy and content - afterwards..... well just look at the news for that [Frown]
The point is not about US, but about God. "If there were no holy God, un-holy people would not stumble."

The point is THERE IS A HOLY GOD! and we are not God.

Until we take our eyes off us and everything being about us, we shall not know God.

Life is all about knowing God and what makes Him happy, not what makes us happy.

:::::::::

Lachryma Christi is a wine of a sweet taste produced from grapes grown on Mount Vesuvius. The words literally mean “the tears of Christ.” The symbolism is perfect to those who understand that the value of human life to God is that it produces the wine that He delights in.

Chambers, O. (1999, c1936). Notes on Jeremiah (electronic ed.). London: Oswald Chambers Publication Association, Ltd.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Advanced Member
Member # 2960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Today, theologians advocate the ordination of women in the name of equality, and the acceptance of homosexuality, easy divorce and cohabitation in the name of tolerance, even though these practices are contrary to Scripture.
This is a serious question Caretaker. Our church just ordained a woman to do hospital ministry. The leadership of our church have told the congregation that they do not feel it right to squash a desire to serve if God calls someone, man or woman to leaderhship. We have had some families leave our church due to the liberal view of women taking leadership roles because they believe it is unbiblical as you do. Others believe that it is just "Old Testament." However, our church is an Acts church and teaches God's word from his book. What are your thoughts please. I welcome other's responses as well. Thank you.

--------------------
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
---Vincent Van Gogh

Posts: 56 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Andy. [thumbsup2]
Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
If God would only stop being holy, stop demanding personal holiness, bodily and mental chastity, we would be happy. Yes, but on the way to hell.

I'm not sure that we would be happy. I think that God's design for human behaviour and society fits together in a very logical whole system - if everyone kept to all of God's laws all of the time and did not sin then we would be happy and content. The model for this is the garden of Eden - before eating the Apple from the tree of knowledge the two were happy and content - afterwards..... well just look at the news for that [Frown]

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen David!!!!!!

Isaiah warned that the time would come for the nations of Israel when "children are their oppressors, and women rule over them… those who lead you cause you to err" (Isaiah 3:12).

Today, theologians advocate the ordination of women in the name of equality, and the acceptance of homosexuality, easy divorce and cohabitation in the name of tolerance, even though these practices are contrary to Scripture.

Liberal theologians assert that the biblical laws prohibiting these practices are intolerant, judgmental and old fashioned. Jeremiah prophesied:

"Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture… who prophesy lies in my name" (Jeremiah 23:1, 25).

Jeremiah predicted that the time will come when people will refuse to walk in the "old paths" (6:16). They will lie, steal, kill, commit adultery and practice idolatry—yet claim they are still God’s people (7:8–10). Jeremiah wrote that because of misguided teachings of religious leaders, "all their flocks shall be scattered" (10:21). Jeremiah even pinpointed the time of his prophecies, writing that "in the latter days you will understand it perfectly" (23:20). These events are happening today!

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will lay stumblingblocks before this people. (Jeremiah 6:21)

If there were no holy God, un-holy people would not stumble. What is the line of my thinking—comfort, prosperity, peace? Then God, the holy God, will be a stumbling-block to me. People are departing, not from religious creeds, but from the moral standard of God. That is what the innate rage is against—that God requires us to be holy as He is holy,†††† perfect as He is perfect,†† pure as He is pure.† To-day the tendency has got hold of people, and they do not know where it started from, to discard the standards Jesus Christ erected. The great stumbling-block in modern spiritual life is our Lord Himself in His character, and in the demands the Spirit of God makes. If God would only stop being holy, stop demanding personal holiness, bodily and mental chastity, we would be happy. Yes, but on the way to hell. It is God who puts the stumbling-blocks; they are not there by accident, and the stumbling over them awakens us; if we go on perpetually stumbling, we shall ultimately break our necks. The truth of God always brings us face to face with the standard revealed in our Lord Jesus Christ.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement