Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Prosperity Gospel

Author Topic: Prosperity Gospel
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think that all things go better with God on my side than they did before, but not only in the matter of money, but in the matter of the fruits of the spirit, I am prospering:

3 John 1:2
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.

Genesis 50:20
But as for you, you thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

But God's prosperity consists of many things, not just, if you help God with your money, God will give you even more money than you had before.

And yes, God is able to give men much more than they spent:

2 Chronicles 25:9
And Amaziah said to the man of God, But what shall we do for the hundred talents which I have given to the army of Israel? And the man of God answered, The LORD is able to give you much more than this.

But to state categorically that God will in each case greatly increase the money that Christians gave, is not necessarily true. God may want to increase that man or woman's joy or kindness, or whatever.

with love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are harder on those guys than i would be, but....

There is a problem with prosperity, as related by some. It does sound like you 'purchase a miracle, or a blessing' the way that they carry on. If you go into a church, you feel under condemnation at almost every service, because of the pleading. But scripture says:

2Co 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."

I have to wonder, do they simply look away from this word? If i were in the pulpit, i would have to feel that something was wrong in my relationship, or my choices, if i had to whip people, or whip them up, to exact this stuff from them.

Another verse to consider is:
1Jn 2:15 "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

If you take that together with these:

Luk 12:15 "And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." and

Mat 6:19 "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:"

How then do you in good conscience preach worldly prosperity. Prosperity is a fact, however, many would not recognize it because the only thing that they understand is worldly.

You only have to look at the book of James to get a good portrait of the rich. He breaks bad on those guys.

I do grieve that they are swayed by this stuff and pursue after it! They miss their true blessing. The result is that:

Mat 5:13 "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

Lord, I pray thee, have mercy and spare us.

I once was greeting a woman in the foyer of the church that i had once attended. She had read something that i had written to the church, so she admonished me, "You know, There is nothing wrong with 'having' wealth," she was smiling and shaking my hand. She was in real estate, and was well enough off, i'm sure.

Well, i missed the opportunity that day. If i could replay it though, i would say, "Not if it has you!"

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

The message boards purpose it to bring glory and honor to the Lord Jesus Christ not to man. We do not promote the prosperity gospel preachers on this message board. If you follow these teachers then you are on the wrong message board. I am asking you to take your posts somewhere else and not promote these teaching on this message board. If you don’t know who I am referring to it is The Word-Faith Movement, the "name it and claim it" theology. This prosperity teaching is an errant doctrine, largely promoted by the Word-Faith movement.

From this day forward if you post the teachings of the Word of Faith movement on this message board, YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM THIS MESSAGE BOARD. You have been asked not to teach this false gospel. There will be no warning from here on, you will just be removed. This is not debatable.

Here’s how it is sold: God wants you to be rich (and/or healthy), but He can not bless you unless you first send money (also known as a “seed-faith offering”) to whichever televangelist or teacher tells you about this scheme.

The fastest growing segment of professing Christianity today is the Word-Faith Movement, also known as the Positive Confession or simply "Faith" movement. Its growth is at least partially due to the massive amounts of money the leaders are able to extract from the faithful. This influx of cash allows for huge buildings and extensive ministries, and more importantly, wide exposure on television, which translates into numerical growth.

As is implied by the title "Word-Faith," the supporters of this movement believe that faith works like a mighty power or force. Through faith, we can obtain anything we want -- health, wealth, success, whatever. However, this force is only released through the spoken word. As we speak the words of faith, power is discharged to accomplish our desires. Which is a man centered gospel.

What is the Prosperity Gospel? Here is a good universal definition. It is a false gospel that tells people if you give your money to a certain church, ministry or preacher, and if you have enough faith in God, God in return will bless you with good health and wealth.

But this is what God has to say about the Prosperity Gospel and the preachers that preach it.

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Proverbs 4:7.

Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Proverbs 8:10-11.

In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. 2 Peter 2:3.

Two things I ask of you; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. Proverbs 30:7-9.

A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor. Proverbs 22:9.

He who oppressed the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich will come to poverty. Proverbs 22:16.

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Colossians 3:5.

"Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasures in heaven. Then come, follow me. Luke 18:22.
You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing. But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. Revelation 3:17.

Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God...when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, brought you out of Egypt. Deuteronomy 8:11, 13-14.

False Teachers think that godliness is a mean to financial gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it. 1 Timothy 6:5-7.

People who want to get rich fall into temptation and trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kind of evil. Some people, eager for money have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:9-10.

Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there " or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourself and become with evil thoughts? But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. James 6:2-4,9.

The worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. Mark 3:19.

Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God." Luke 18:24-25.

The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. Luke 16:22-23.

Honor the Lord with your wealth. Proverbs 3:9.
In conclusion, God does not want us in poverty, but when we receive a great harvest it's not for our own enrichment, but so we can help people who are in great need.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement