Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » would you still like God?

Author Topic: would you still like God?
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Josh I have been physically abused, rejected, abandoned, verbally and emotionally abused, poor, raise by an alcoholic mom that was usually passed out so we went hungry a lot....and much more. Yet, I still love Jesus. I still choose Him. WHY???

When I was very young I turned to Jesus because I didn't have anyone else to turn to. He was there for me and He became a friend to me. I could talk to Him any time and He always comforted me. However, as I grew up I wanted to know if this Jesus I loved really was real.

So, I started my search for the truth. I read the bible every day, even when I didn't understand what I was reading. I would pray and ask Jesus to hold my hand and never let me go, even when I tried to let my hand slip out of His and He was loving enough to honor that prayer.

I thought of giving up on Christianity a few times even. I use to pray for God to give me financial blessings because I was poor and tired of struggling as a single mother and then I got angry with God because I wasn't seeing it happen. My prayers were always selfish so instead of seeing myself as I really was, I was trying to blame God. He still didn't give up on me.

As I started to grow more, I started to see how selfish I had become and how selfish my prayers were. I started to realize that all of the pain and heart break I had lived was actually a learning experience for me. Sometimes they were painful experiences, but I am who I am today because of them so I wouldn't change anything.

There were times when I wondered how God could allow this stuff to happen to me. Now, I realize that through those circumstances I have actually become a stronger woman, a woman that was more dependent on God and a more caring woman. I stopped blaming God and learned to turn to Him and rely on Him. The more I read the Word, the more I grew and then God granted me more wisdom and understanding. Then, God opened my eyes and I was looking at Him instead of only focusing on myself. When I changed how I was looking at the world, I started to see blessings in my life.

When I was looking at the world through my wounded little girl eyes, I couldn't see correctly. My vision was blurred and I was blinded to the blessings that were actually all around me. I couldn't see all of the things God was doing inside of me or around me.

It took healing in order for me to see life more objectively.

I am so grateful that Jesus was faithful enough to NEVER give up on me or let go of my hand and I am mostly grateful that I didn't allow my clouded, misguided view of the world around me to cause me to leave my Lord and Savior forever.

If I had to go through it all over again, I would count it as Joy instead of choosing to live selfishly. That view was leading me into a very unhappy life style. Now, I have JOY and so abundantly that no one can ever take it away from me.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phebe_cenchrea
Community Member
Member # 5659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phebe_cenchrea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God was hidden in the OT--but in the days since His visitation He has been revealed to us. Which means we are none of us ignored. We may not get the attention our sinful ego thinks we should have--but that is our own issue, not one that God creates.

quote:
For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
(~Hebrews 12:3-8 KJV)

To be tried in this life, to be rebuked for our ways, and even to endure tragedies that nearly break our hearts in two--these are not signs of God's disfavor, but of His love.

quote:
For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
(~Hebrews 12:10-11 KJV)

I agree with the initial post, though--from what I observe, many individuals that I have known, who call themselves after Christ, present evidences of what they perceive as God's favor: prosperity, financial security, health, and esteem in the community.

I have never enjoyed any of those so-called blessings for any length of time. I have come to realize that the blessings I have received were given in what many people would consider the 'worse times' of my life (and at the time, I certainly thought so, too)--dark times when I had only one ally on my side.

I expect that life is tough, by design. The bible doesn't promise an easy life--the light yoke Jesus speaks of is not a worldly yoke.

--------------------
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
(~Luke 12:32)

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, brother J4Jesus, you wrote
quote:
is there anybody here who would still care about God and all these things even if you knew His hand was against you?

A lot of people get really fired up and happy over these spiritual things, yet i think it's easy for them to say when they've never really felt the weight of God's sovereign domination over them.

dear brother J4Jesus, there is no one like you on this CBBS or Internet Bible scene who can so cut quick to the chase as you can with your words. I see J4Jesus in you.

Regarding:
quote:
[quote] is there anybody here who would still care about God and all these things even if you knew His hand was against you?
if we love God {Elohim of Israel}, His hand will not be against us. His hand would favor us:

Psalm 106:4
Remember me, O LORD, with the favor that you bear to your people: O visit me with your salvation.

So J4Jesus, if you love the LORD God of Israel, who Alone is Creator of heaven and earth, then His hand is not against you or me; His hand will favor us.

You further write:
quote:
A lot of people get really fired up and happy over these spiritual things
well, yeah!!! (think valley girl here)

Psalm 34:8
O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man who trusts in Him.

J4Jesus, you are the only bornagain Christian who has ever said to me, “man, you make me hungry for God” or something very close to that. I really appreciated that comment; I never get used to what you say, J4Jesus. Keep up the good work; I think you are doing it without even realizing it.

You should be rejoicing your socks off you are so straightforward!

"there is a war going on, between right and wrong."

Matthew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Does this household include the church too? [Big Grin]

God bless, BORN AGAIN by Lord God Yeshua who was raised from the dead tomorrow, Sunday.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J4Jesus:
well not even that. I mean what if they knew God was holding out on THEM and just Ignoring them on purpose.

Well, if God would do this on purpose, there would have to be a purpose. I don't think God would "crush" someone if there wasn't a purpose for Him to do so. Maybe the reward would be more glorifing in Heaven?

But I think you're right when you imply that the vast majority of us would crumble. I'm not sure that God would burden those who really couldn't handle it--He wants us to win, not fail.

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well not even that. I mean what if they knew God was holding out on THEM and just Ignoring them on purpose. All because HE CAN, that's the only reason the Bible gives.

they're walk in Christ is like nothing because He's choosing not to help them...AND THEY KNOW IT.

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're right, for the most part. Most American christians think they can stay the course. However, many of us have never faced life or death persecution. Or trials that Job did. But I'm thinking most (maybe me included) would crumble and fade if they suffered the fates of many of our brothers and sisters from other countries (Arab, China, Africa). People are still being killed in this world for their profession of faith to Christ. I think most of us in the USA would run and hide like little rabbits.

However, I do think our country is slowing moving to the point of "separating the wheat from the chaff".

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is there anybody here who would still care about God and all these things even if you knew His hand was against you?

alot of people get really fired up and happy over these spiritual things, yet i think it's easy for them to say when they've never really felt the weight of God's Sovereign domination over them.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement