Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Y or J?

Author Topic: Y or J?
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
יהוה

hwhy

oh, it is my OnlineBible software! I pasted from there and the format does not stay, though it displays, when I past it pastes the english letters, but the 2nd is from my e-sword program and the format stays! Cool at least now I know what to do. Thanks guys!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
א ב ג ד ה ח ל ם

I copied those from MS Word Insert symbols?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.scripture4all.org/
epouraniois
unregistered

Let's look to see?

G2032
ἐπουράνιος
epouranios
ep-oo-ran'-ee-os
From G1909 and G3772; above the sky: - celestial, (in) heaven (-ly), high.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too wild! Well next time I want to post a Hebrew font Ill just PM you and you can post for me. [type] [Big Grin] Does it let you post the Greek ones too?
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

I have no idea. I have been asked that again and again, but I have not done anything special that I am aware of. This is a basic xp pro install, and a new one at that, as of yet, I have not even installed my usual Hebrew fonts, as it is such a new install.

sorry for the non plus help, but I am at a loss on this one.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Hey, how did you get that to paste with the Hebrew fonts in tact?? Thanks for posting this by the way; but I was just astounded about the fonts I have never been able to do that.
epouraniois
unregistered

Salvation is spelled with an 's', and Yeshua does mean Jehova (YHVH) Saves:

H3444
ישׁוּעה
yeshû‛âh
yesh-oo'-aw
Feminine passive participle of H3467; something saved, that is, (abstractly) deliverance; hence aid, victory, prosperity: - deliverance, health, help (-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.

I don't know when exactly the nominclature began, substituting a 'w' for the original 'v', but it looks as though the disregard for the 'v' is here to stay.

Phoenician or Paleo Hebrew
The ancient Hebrew alphabet is called Phoenician or Paleo Hebrew.

'Aleph (aw'-lef): In the English it is passed over silently " ' ", the ancient letter looks like an A on its side. Its meaning is an ox-head.
Numerically it is the number 1 which is unity, commencement. There is some thought that aleph is a depiction of the season of fall, constellation Taurus, or indicating the time of creation.
Tribe of Reuben.

Beth (bayth): It is the English "B". Its meaning is house.
Numerically it is the number 2 which is union, division (also witnessing).
Tribe of Simeon.

Gimel (ghee'-mel): It is the English "G". It signifies a camel-representive of commerce.
Numerically it is the number 3 which is divine completeness, resurrection.
Tribe of Levi.

Daleth (daw'-leth): It is the English "D". It signifies a doorway.
Numerically it is the number 4 which is creative works, earth, (looks like a tent opening).
Tribe of Judah.

He (hay): It is the English "H". It signifies a window.
Numerically it is the number 5 which is Divine grace, goodness.
Tribe of Dan.

Vav (vav): It is the English "V". It signifies Joshua, Yeshua (also indicates a nail, hook, or goad).
Numerically it is the number 6 which is the weakness of man.
Tribe of Naphtali.

Zayin (zah'-yin): It is the English "Z". It signifies a weapon.
Numerically it is the number 7 which is spiritual completeness, perfection.
Tribe of Gad.

Heth (khayth): It is the English "Ch" nearly a "Kh". It signifies a fence.
Numerically it is the number 8 which is regeneration, new beginnings.
Tribe of Asher.

Teth (tayth): It is the English "T". It signifies shelter, refuge, or security.
Numerically it is the number 9 which is finality or divine completeness from the LORD, fruit of the spirit .
Tribe of Issachar.

Yod (yode): It is the English "Y". It signifies the palm of the hand, power.
Numerically it is the number 10 which is testimony, law and responsibility.
Tribe of Zebulun.

Kaph (caf): It is the English "K". It signifies the hollow or the curve of the palm of the hand.
Numerically it is the number 20 which is redemption.

Lamed (law'-mad): It is the English "L". It signifies a goad (to teach).
Numerically it is the number 30 which is the Blood of Christ, dedication.

Mem (mame): It is the English "M". It signifies water, fluid, firmament.
Numerically it is the number 40 which is trials, probation, testing.

Nun (noon): It is the English "N". It signifies a fish,
Numerically it is the number 50 which is the Holy Spirit, Pentecost (Greek for fifty).

Samek (saw'-mek): It is the English "S". It signifies a tower, a fort, or a shelter, (journey, travel).
Numerically it is the number 60 which is pride.

'Ayin ('peculiar), it has a [gutteral sound]: It signifies a eye, or the center of understanding (see-Strongs H#5869).
Numerically it is the number 70 which is universality, Israel and her restoration.

Phe (fay), in English it is the ph in phone; or
Pe (pay), in the English it is the p as in pet: It signifies a mouth (see-Strongs H#6310).
Numerically it is the number 80 which is 2x40.

Sade (tsaw-day'), in English it is the ts in Mets: It signifies a fish hook.
Numerically it is the number 90 which is 2x45 (45 is preservation).

Qoph (cofe), in English it is the Q or K: It signifies a priests cap, sanctification, holiness, or the brain and spinal cord, (also ear).
Numerically it is the number 100 which is God's election of grace, children of promise. (The letter as shown to the left was used back to the time of Moses. At about 500 BC to the time of Christ, the Israelite's adopted the Iberian letter which looks like a Roman Numeral X. This Iberian form of the letter was found on the Las Cruces inscription of the Ten Commandments. This Iberian style letter was used in ancient Spain and the mound culture of America, it was not commonly used in the Middle East.)

Resh (raysh), It is the English "R": It signifies head.
Numerically it is the number 200 which is insufficiency.

Sin (seen) It is the English "S":
Shin (sheen) It is the English "sh" as in show: It signifies teeth.
Numerically it is the number 300 which is 3x100.

Thav (thawv) in English it is the th in Thin:
Tav (tawv) in English it is the T: The ancient letter looks like a cross (see-Strongs H#8420). It signifies a mark, signature.
Numerically it is the number 400 which is 4x100. (The 22nd letter of the alphabet which looks like a cross, Psalms 22 foretells of the crucifixion and His words on the cross.)

NOTE

In the numerical equivalent of the letters to the birth order of Jacob's sons Joseph would be "Yod plus Aleph (10 + 1) and Benjamin Yod plus Beth (10 + 2). Dinah's birth was actually number 11 but she was not considered part of the tribes.
The ancient symbol that looks like a backwards "K" is a double m.

Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this article I received might even help. The following websight is has some good info:

www.clevelandjewishnews.com/articles/2006/03/17/news/local/archaelogyfind0317.txt

The article is reported by Ted S. Stratton, Staff reporter.

an Exert from it:

Archeologists led by a Bible professor from Pittsburg made an extraordinary discovery in Israel last summer. Their excavation team found the oldest example of the Hebrew alphabet ever seen. The inscription, from the 10th century B.C.E., is written in the same script as early parts of the Hebrew Bible.........

Well anyway www.saudades-sefarad.com, sent this to my e-mail address. It goes in depth about the finding.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a child the letter "J" was a sound of"Y" or "GI" and the letter "I" today is a vowel, back then it was a constant- "Y" During the time of Christ the "Korne' Greek" was used daily and educated Greek used in professional areas. Eventually Latin took over the affection of the Hebrew/Aramaic language. Egyptian, Farsi, Hebrew, Ahmaric, Arabic, Maltese, Berber, Persian, Afagan, Pakistini, and others are called SEMETIC LANGUAGES. THEY interrelate. PHOENICIAN IS THE CORNERSTONE OF THESE LANGUAGES. The Latin alfah-bet is the result of the Greek/Pheonician/ and Hebrew melting of sounds. Western Latin was more affect by Briton/Arabic/Saision and Eastern Latin was more affected by Turkish, Greek, Slafic. The western Languages of Europe maintained a common bound to Venerical Latin/Arab mixed. Infact Iberia, Cataluna, Italy, Ingland, and Francia has common bind of latin, while most easter dialects of Latin, ie.. Dalmatia, Maccedoini, Romanshe, almpst completely died out and absorded the mother tongues of Serbian, Slafik, and Greek. They ceased to the most port to exist.

Hebrew now a days have three break offs and are still written in Hebrew alfabets. They are German-Yiddish, Slavik-Yiddish, and Ladino-Hebreo. The Yiddish of my father is mainly a middle old High German/Slavik/ Hebrew mixed. The Yiddish of my Grandfather is mainly Russian/ Hebrew mixed. The language of my mother is Ladino-Hebreo or Sephardic. In the bible if you remember, Spain was spoken of already. My mother's mother came out Western Spain/ North-East Portugal. Although my Mother was born in France, she still maintained her Sephardic Roots. The Ladino of the West became more agreeable with Spanish/Portuguese and Ladino of the East absorbed more Turkish, Slavik, and Italian words. To the point the two Ladino dialects became almost complete different languages.

I or J is a Latin history lesson. Remember Rome ruled over the Medittereano Lands for a very longtime. The Greek language has affected the Egytian language, Turkish language, Hebrew Language, and the Jranian language.

If you use Y -you are using a Hebrew affection, If you use an I, you are using a Latin affection.

Ieshua is Ladino, where as Yeshua is Hebrew/Aramaic. Issac can be written as Yessic. Joseph can be written Yesuf, Iosef, Giosei, Josie for a girl and Josier for a boy. In 1492 during the same time Colobus sailed the Ocean for the East Indies under the Spanish Crown, the Inquistion was at its height to irridicate those who oppose the Imperiali Catholici Egllesia. Mainly the Jews and the Islams abiding in the lands of Portugual and Spain. Alot of Jews took up the Catholic faith and many fled Southward, Westward, and North. Settling throughout the mediatrreano lands. Ashkehanazi Jews were the Jews who settle in Germania and Rusia, Poland etc.. Effentualy nowadays Ashkehanazi Jews do marry Sephardic Jews.

Sorry about the History lesson, but to bring it a point. Languages of the past has already affected the languages of the day and as people live, languages will continually mix to become a 'ONE WORLD LANGUAGE". Well atleast that is what the anti-Christ wants. Check out all about Baha'i its main goal for the world. They want one god, one language, pay homage to one government, and eliminate anyone that would stand in the ways. www.apologeticscourses.come has a free course on this. Baha'i and its comparrison with Christianity. Baha'i has it's roots in Islam.

Shalom,

Eduardo

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

I have been studying the Hebrew alphabet because I want to learn to read hebrew. It is really quite facinating and you can see the importance of every jot and title; when I realize that a simple hairline stroke of the brush could change the meaning of a word so completely, it gave me an even greater reverence for the word. I wish that this board allowed us to display the Hebrew fonts; I tried to post them in the above post so you could see what I was talking about but the software of the board does not allow them to retain their formating.
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a side not. In the OT, the hebrew for the word "salvation" is Yeshua, not Jeshua. Israel is "Yisrael". shalom
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

This is a (y) Yod (h) He with a vowel point.

Vowel points were added by Latin and German Christian transliterators. This Jah or Yah or Iah... is YH with a vowel under it. The Hebrew does not have a J or an I amd does not use vowels. The Hebrew began using vowel points after 70 AD to make it easier for people to pronounce their language or to show breaks in sylables.

It is an abreviation of Which is (Y)Yod (H)He (V)Vov (h) He YHVH = The four letter name of God that was forbidden in the Mishna to be pronounced as the sum of its consanants.

We should not think that it was not right to pronounce the personal name of God it was pronounced, but not as the YHVH... that was not allowed; The reason that it was not written out, but was written as 4 letters was because if the text was written and had to be erased that was to blaspheme... to erase God's name or to write it incorrectly (and incorrectly could be as simple as a single brush stroke that changed an Heh into a Tav)that would be to obliterate the name of God.

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a Rabbi who is a Messianic Jew and he has his own message board. He has several lessons about the names of Yah (Jah in KJV). Here's a link to the website:
Eliyah Message

Look under the "Sacred Names" board. Make sure you have a bible with you or, better yet, also have crosswalk.com open to go search out the scriptures he uses.

Blessings and Shalom,
Joanna.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go with the "Y".

The English alphabet didn't even have a "J" when the original KJV was completed;
nor a "V" for that matter.

Jesus in the original KJV was spelled with an "I".
Seems the English got the "I" from the Greeks, who used "I" instead of "Y".
The "KIW" authorized by King Iames.

I don't personally like the Jehovah changes,
combining YHWH and Adonia, and changing Y&W to J&V.

Hebrew and Aramaic have YHWH as the personal NAME of GOD.
Yahoshua, from which comes Y'shua, Yashua, Yeshua, and others,
is YHWH is salvation or Yah/Ya saves.

Still the GOD who confused the tongues of men at Bable knew/knows the names men call HIM, and I believe HE honors those names.
I think it brings HIM extra happiness when in our personal relations with HIM, we know HIS real NAME, which was before J&V.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 20 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years I have seen the name written Yeshua or Yashua but I was wondering about the Hebrew language.

I know that English has a Y and a J in its alphabet.

I am aware of the name YHWY which seems to start with a Y.

But in Psalm 68:4, JAH rides with a J:

Psalm 68:4
Sing to God, sing praises to His name: extol Him who rides upon the heavens by His name JAH, and rejoice before Him.

And I saw this recently for Jeshua with a J:

Ezra 2:36
The priests: the children of Jedaiah, of the house of Jeshua, nine hundred seventy and three.

Ezra 2:40
The Levites: the children of Jeshua and Kadmiel, of the children of Hodaviah, seventy and four.

And yet there is also YHWH with a Y? How does that Y jive with that J that I keep seeing throughout the KJV version of the English Bible, while Y is practically non-existent in names of the Bible?

Jeremiah--here it is "iah" which is most likely a contraction of "jah" and NOT of "yah". Are there any other "Y" in the Bible names, or not?

Should it indeed not be Lord Jeshua and NOT Lord Yeshua?

Can anyone help me with this? [Roll Eyes] [Bible]

BORN AGAIN in the USA by the cross of the Lord God Jeshua-Jesus.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement