Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » ? Lazarus and the rich man ?

Author Topic: ? Lazarus and the rich man ?
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember wondering that in my youth if they were the same Lazarus. Why does Jesus name this man in this parable. In no other parable is any named. I dont know???

One thing that comes to mind in the Study that you are doing is this... Jesus says to the rich young ruler in Luke 18... there is one thing you lack.. what was that? What did he lack?

What ever it was it seems the Publican had it. Yes?

Both were rich.

We dont know how the rich young ruler came by his money but we know how the publican came by his and it was not considered honorable among the people.

We know that the Ruler must have been a son of Abraham as he kept the commandments from youth, but it was to the Publican that Jesus said is a son of Abraham.... What made him to be a son of Abraham in the eyes of Jesus?

I note also that the young ruler tried to praise Jesus calling him "good" and appeared to be seeking the way to salvation.

Yet the publican did not even ask about how to be saved he was simply joyous that Jesus would be staying at his house.

How do these two attitudes apply in the church today? Is one who appears to be seeking and appears to be praising always the one who is accepted? Why? Why not?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't consider the two Lazaruses to be the same, but I did find this explanation of Lazarus and the rich man parable fascinating.

At the time when it was posted on this CBBS, some members, I think it was FavorMinded, wrote scathingly about L. Ray Smith, but I read his artile below and found it very compelling.

http://bible-truths.com/lazarus.html

God bless, BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on a Bible Study for our adult group,
contrasting the "rich young ruler" of Lk.18 & Zacchaeus Lk.19.

Today on break I asked a co-worker, who is a pastor,
if he had anything to aid this study.
After talking a few minutes, he mentioned a minister he supports,
who travels to India, Africa and South America.
This minister told him that in some forign countries there is tradition that the so-call rich young ruler of Mt.19, Mk.10 & Lk.18 is the
same person as the rich man in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus of Lk.16.
Also that this Lazarus of Lk.16,
is the same Lazarus as the brother of Martha and Mary who was raised from death by Jesus.

Time ran out on us without even getting to the point of finding out if either beleived this.
I only know of one person that I have heard speak of the two Lazarus' being the same, and just thought he was confused.

By what Abraham said in Lk.16:31, I don't see this Lazarus as the brother of Martha and Mary.

Has anyone heard this;
and what do you think?

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement