Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » WHICH Commandments?

Author Topic: WHICH Commandments?
herald2
Community Member
Member # 4774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herald2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For an in-depth explanation, please go to TheStreamTv.com website in the "Question & Answers" forum, entitled, "Rod, I, Respectfully, disagree."

You will discover, that, your arguments are refuted.

"The Hebrew word translated "and He rested" in Genesis 2:2 comes from the root shabat (English "Sabbath"), which later became the official name for the seventh day of the week. The word "sanctified" in verse 3 comes from the root qadash, which literally means "to set apart as holy." Sabbath = rest.

Sunday has no relation to shabat, or rest. It is the beginning of the work week.

God "rested to enjoy the creation He had just finished and to set an example for mankind. Only God, who is holy, can make something holy. The Bible shopws that the Sabbath was blessed and made holy in the very beginning. God intended it as a weekly memorial to His creative acts. By observing the Sabbath, humans would constantly be reminded every week who the true Creator is."

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Walt!!!!

1. Creation was completed in six days.
2. God rested on the seventh day.
3. God blessed the seventh day.
4. God sanctified the seventh day.
5. The reason God sanctified the seventh day was because He rested on it.
6. The seventh-day account does not have the formula "and there was evening and there was morning, a seventh day" as do the six days of creation.
7. There is no mention of the word "Sabbath" in the book of Genesis.
8. There is no command for mankind to rest in the Genesis account.
9. Nothing is expressly mentioned regarding man in the seventh-day-creation rest.
10. The seventh-day "rest" of God was most likely characterized by His delight in His new creations and in open fellowship with Adam and Eve in the sin-free, perfect environment of Eden.
11. The conditions which characterized the "rest" of God would probably have continued had it not been for man's sin.
12. The seventh day of Gen 2:2,3 may have been a regular day as were the first six days of creation, or it may have been an indefinite period of time.
13. The Genesis account does not mention an end to God's seventh-day rest. It is presented as an ongoing state by the omission of "and there was evening and there was morning, a seventh day". The fact that the Genesis account is so carefully constructed indicates that this omission was not accidental.
14. When man sinned, he was excluded from God's REST and God began His WORK of redemption to restore man back to himself.
What is this new "WORK" which God started immediately after Adam and Eve sinned? We read that "The Lord God MADE garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them" (Gen 3:21). This event was the beginning of a "WORK" which would continue throughout the centuries until it's significance would become fully revealed in the death of Christ. The death of that first lamb, while not mentioned as such in the Genesis account, was the acorn of the great truth which, through the following centuries, would grow into the great, spreading oak of righteousness by faith. It pointed forward to Christ's substitutionary life and death for lost mankind. Naked Adam and Eve were clothed with robes made from the skin of the lamb - a substitute who gave his life. Millennia later Paul would put this same truth in these words:
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21
All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:27
The work of redemption was the work which God started when man sinned and was driven from Eden's rest. This work would continue until man was restored to God's true rest. Jesus is our Sabbath rest, not some 24-hour period of time

Romans 14
Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Galations 3:

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The calendar Elohim established is not in use today.

Today's days of the week are man's creation NOT Yahweh's.

By TRADITION Saturday is the Sabbath, but the Bible doesn't make it clear.

Some people consider Sunday the last day of the week.

Colossians 2:16-17
(16) Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--
(17) things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Yahweh Elohim is more concerned how we live day to day (flowing out of our relationship withn Him) than which one particular day we single out.

EVERY day belongs to Yahweh, not just 1 in 7.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herald2
Community Member
Member # 4774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herald2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus prayed, "Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth." There is no other sanctification then by God's Spirit through His Word.

When battling the enemy, Jesus, though God, didn't say, "My opinion is..." or "My church teaches..." or "My pastor says..." He said, "It is written."

He is to be our living example in all things.

The Jews added hundreds of rules and regulations to the keeping of the Sabbath. It became a burden to them.

If we follow Jesus's example, the Sabbath will be a delight, as God intended. Jesus was in the temple, teaching, preaching, fellowshipping and meeting human need in the marketplace.

My desire is to follow the example of the Apostle Paul who said he served God with a PURE CONSCIENCE. That, is perfection. This, should be the pursuit of every true believer.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 9:16
Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God because he keeps not the sabbath day! And others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

Mark 2:27
And he {Jesus} said to them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.

We are "neither Jew nor Gentile" but a third kind of man, born "not only of water" but "also of the Holy Spirit", and we are "a new creation".

So does this third kind of man still need to do the 10 commandments in order to acquire the RIGHT to ENTER heaven?

Or did the Lord God Jesus die in my place on the cross and by believing ONLY IN HIM, then HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS is counted to me as MY RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Isn't that the good news gospel? Is it not that Jesus fullilled the law FOR US, that we may enter into His fullfilment for free, which is God's great gift to us, to FREELY give us ETERNAL LIFE?

And is it not TRUSTING that now that I actively believe that Jesus died in my place I have access again to the counsel of the Holy Spirit who will cause my life to go into the paths of righteousness through reading the Word on the outside and listening to the counsel of the Holy Spirit on the inside, that the 10 commandments will hopefully also play out on my life with the help of the Holy Spirit.

But my RIGHT to enter is NOT ON HOW WELL I MANAGED to do the commandments, but on my belief in my REDEEMER who REDEEMED me by dying in my place on the cross which caused DEATH.

DEATH was my penalty for my sins that Jesus paid for 100% and I am 100% free as a result. I am spotless as long as I "hold fast to the end that which I have heard" from Paul and Peter and James and John.

My penalties for my sins are totally 100% paid for by my Jesus. I am free to go now. I am free to enter into my rest. I am clean now.

John 13:10
Jesus said to him, He whot is washed needs not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and you are clean, but not all {meaning Judas}.

Ain't got nothing on me. Jesus made me free. For else why did He need to suffer, sister herald2, if I have to keep the 10-commandments which Old Israel could not keep?

Yes, with the help of the Word of God and the Holy Spirit there is some help for the depraved and unloved human spirit, and many a man and woman and child has achieved some remarkable fruit of Christ.

But in the end, it will be our BELIEF IN HIM ONLY which will cause the LORD God of Israel to COUNT IT TO US AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.

God bless, by the way you're a great typist and speller. BORN AGAIN [Cross]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
herald2, I agree that the Sabbath Day as the Father created is still the 7th day.

But I must tell you, there are many people, such as myself (a nurse) who have to work on some Saturdays. Is this breaking the Law?

Some would argue and say yes. But let me just pass this on for thought.

The priest in the OT were held blameless for working on the Sabbath, yet that is how they earned their keep. They were supported by the community financially since they were not given a land portion like other tribes. The Lord was their portion.

The Torah forbids us to carry a burden on the Sabbath, but yet who would not carry their sick child to the emergency room on the Sabbath?

It is also permissable even in Orthadox Judaismto carry food to a family who is hungry on the Sabbath. It is even permissable to buy medicine on the Sabbath as well, if the need arises.

Every prohibition concerning the Sabbath is trumped by human need. Concepts like human need and the sanctity of life, charity towards others, always outweigh all Sabbath traditions. In this way the Torah is both fixed and fluid.

Even in Judaism, doctors, nurses, police, military, fireman and other emergency personnel are not seen as "Sabbath breakers" when their duties call on them to serve during the Sabbath. They get paid as well because it is their living.

I agree with you that Constantine instituted the Sunday day of corporate worship. But remember that Yeshua has been calling and saving His people anyways. The Sabbath day still exists and no one can "do away" with it. To remember it and keep it holy is what we are called to do, and If loving your neighbor means that you cannot keep the Whole Sabbath, so what?? Even Yeshua said that it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

We enter heaven ONLY thru Yeshua. He is the Truth, the Life and the Way. No man/woman enter or even comes to the Father except thru Him alone. And yes, if we love Him, we will keep His commandments. But remeber the greatest commandment is Love for God first and love for others.

Not every believer in Yeshua is going to be able to keep the Sabbath every week. We need to examine and practice the weighter matters first. I, as a nurse, feel I would be in more violation of the Sabbath if I had the opportunity to do good to those at the nursing home on that day than to shirk that responsability.

Shalom and be Blessed.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herald2
Community Member
Member # 4774

God, Himself, wrote the Ten Commandments, with His own finger in tablets of stone. These tablets were placed inside the Ark of The Covenant, in the Holiest Place in the temple - in the very presence of God.

Jesus said, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up...But he spake of the temple of his body." John 2:19-21. Here, Jesus made the transition from the temple building to the temple of His body.

Later, the Apostle Paul wrote, "Know ye not that YE ARE THE TEMPLE of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" Jesus left us here as His temple upon the earth.

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people." (This is the New Covenant.) Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:10.

WHO is he speaking of? Paul answers, "Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made, He saith not, And to thy seeds, as of many: but as of one, And to thy seed which is Christ." "And IF ye be Christ's, then are YE Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:16,29.

"For HE IS NOT A JEW, who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Romans 2:28,29.

The promises were made through Abraham, to the children of promise, who are justified by faith - whether Jew or Gentile.

So now, we as the body of Christ, are His temple. IF we are children of the New Covenant, the Lord has written, with His own finger, His laws upon our hearts.

WHICH laws have endured? "And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ARK of his testament..." Revelation 11:19. And which laws were in the ark? The Ten Commandments.

The Scripture tells us, that, the Ten Commandments are in Heaven. Not nine - ten.

When God finished His great work of Creation, He sealed it by sanctifying and blessing the seventh day, as a monument to His great work. He finished and rested (sat down, if you will). When Jesus bought Creation back, He cried, "It is finished!" sat down at the right hand of God and rested. By faith in His redemptive work, we, also, enter into His rest.

The seventh day points to His Lordship, as Creator of all things. It, also, commemorates redemption (Deuteronomy 5:12-15) and restoration (Isaiah 66:23). God sanctified the seventh day from Creation - before man's fall and long before the law was given.

In the Garden of Eden, God told Adam and Eve, that, they could eat from any tree in the garden, save one...and what did they do? They heeded Satan, who queried, "Hath God said?" And ever since, men have questioned God's Word. Adam and Eve chose their own tree - their own way, over-ruling God's Word, authority and Lordship over their lives.

In the fourth commandment, God said, "REMEMBER the Sabbath day, to keep it holy...FOR in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: WHEREFORE (for this reason) the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."

It's really very simple - the Sabbath day could, never, be any other day, because it is, inseparably, linked to His Creation work.

We have exchanged God's Word (just like Adam and Eve) for the traditions of men. God sanctified the seventh day. He, never, changed His mind and sanctified the first day of the week ("the venerable day of the sun") - man did. Men chose their own day.

God's true people will surrender their traditions and return to the Word of God, alone (sola scritura), and once-again, acknowledge His Lordship.

Tha angel calls in Revelation, "Fear God and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgement is come: and worship him, that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of water." Revelation 14:7 - Worship our Creator.

Jesus said, "...but IF thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (The context, here, is that of the Ten Commandments.) Matthew 19:17b.

The "Two Greatest Commandments" that Jesus gave, are a summation of the Ten. If you love the Lord, supremely, you will keep the first four. If you love men as yourself, you wil, also, keep the last six.

Do you want to have RIGHT to the tree of life? Do you want to ENTER Heaven?

At the end, we read, "Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:14.

At the very end of the Book of Books, the Apostle John makes a connection between keeping the commandments and entering Heaven.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement