Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Armour of God

Author Topic: Armour of God
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. "Loins girt about with truth." - Even Truth For Today,
"the Lord said He was truth" John 14:6.

2. "The breastplate of righteousness." He is our righteousness.
Rom. 5:19-21; II Cor. 5:21.

3. "Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace." He is
our peace. John 16:33.

4. "Above all..the shield of faith." This could be our faith or His, faithfulness, quite sure however, this too is putting on Christ.
Gal. 2:20.

5. "Take the helmet of salvation." He is our only salvation.
Acts 28:28.

6. "And the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."
And He is the Living Word. John 1:1.

Amen to all that, brother epouraniois. [Prayer]

"when the saved of earth shall gather, over on that other shore"

"and when the roll is called up yonder, I'll be there, I'll be there"

"and when all our life is over and our work on earth is done,"

"and the roll is clled up yonder, I'll be there, I'll be there" won't you, O people of the world?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps that did not come out well, please forgive me. Of course we should put on the whole armor of God, noting that each piece of armor is a title or presentation of the Christ, bearing only one offensive weapon ( The Word of God ), with no armor covering the backside, which is addressed as being used to stand against the wiles of the devil, referring to Eph 4:3, & 14, as well as the katabole, horribly mistranslated as foundation, but having the meaning of casting down with violence, and always (Biblically) found used with God's judgment in the OT.

As you study this armor, you begin to see that this is a Person - Christ Jesus. And so the soldier is to put on Christ. Babes are not intended to put on the armor, but there is a responsible age. Also, we are to strive lawfully, be dedicated to fighting a good fight and put on the Whole Armor, not just a part. Nothing less than the whole armor will do. And we don't wait until the evil day comes to put it on, either! We must always be ready for anything that will try our spiritual strength, and it can come at the most unexpected times and places.

It was an evil day when Peter denied the Lord, and an evil day when the disciples all forsook Him and fled, and an evil day when Judas lost his bishopric, and an evil day when David fell into temptation and lost the joy of his salvation. And it's in the evil day that many of us may lose our rewards, the prize, and the crown.

Watch and pray, as the Lord told His disciples when He was there in Gethsemane. And having worked out our salvation with fear and trembling we're still to stand till the evil day is past - till the danger is gone. There isn't any time to relax and get careless.

Remember, we have that old nature till resurrection. We are not to fight the devil. You're not going to beat the devil, and no use of trying it. We are to put on this whole armor as we're told to. The devil can throw a dart at us at anytime, that is in the old nature, but he can't touch the new nature.

Parts of the armor we are to put on equal , putting on, the Lord Jesus Christ. Eph. 6: 14-17.
1. "Loins girt about with truth." - Even Truth For Today,
"the Lord said He was truth" John 14:6.
2. "The breastplate of righteousness." He is our righteousness.
Rom. 5:19-21; II Cor. 5:21.
3. "Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace." He is
our peace. John 16:33.
4. "Above all..the shield of faith." This could be our faith or His, faithfulness, quite sure however, this too is putting on Christ.
Gal. 2:20.
5. "Take the helmet of salvation." He is our only salvation.
Acts 28:28.
6. "And the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."
And He is the Living Word. John 1:1.

There it is, putting on Christ.

The Gospel Armor is found in the oneness of Ephesians, chapters 1-3, corresponding with the fullness of Colossians, and the emptying of Philippians, while noting that the ability towards the vocation of the practice of the guarding of the unity of the Spirit in the bond of the peace is wholly dependant upon the receiving of the instructions the apostle and chosen vessel named Paul was given, when given a dispensation of grace towards the one body.

My submital, simply, as much as we need to know how this worthy walk manifest by His workmanship in the believer, this manifestation is founded upon the doctrinal section, and that by acknowledgment and yeilding, according to the purpose and fellowship of the revelation of the mystery and His inheritance in the saints in light, that without the first instructions first, the worthy walk is in danger of being subdued by the very same wiles of the devil which it would arm the believer against.

Eph 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13
Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epouraniois I for one will not wait. Time is short. Whether or not some say not to use the armour, I will. How could I not use it? The helmet of salvation, breastplate of righteousness, etc.... come on GOD commands me to use these. He is real. He is my leader that tells me to suit-up and He will take care of the rest. His strength and might. He is the hand in the glove. I am the glove. He is my general and my everything. Not just words on paper. What do I have to loose by wearing the armour of God?
This time we are living in is not a game time or play recess hour. He is my strength and leader.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

chapters 4-6 are what comes forth in the practice of the doctrine (instruction) which was learned in the first three chapters

Now,

while we seek a worthy walk before the Lord, the question must be raised as to how one is to do the practicing if the doctrine has not been mastered?

I submit that it is impossible to practice the doctrine set forth in the first three chapters if one has not mastered said doctrine, and that when we, as Christians, howsoever well intended, may be going astray if we decide to practice that which has not been fully realized, and that going back to learn the instructions (doctrine) in their fullest since are necessarrily the first cause which would lead one into the practicing in a most natural leading by the Lord, rather than on our own choosing:

That once all the doctrine has been realized, then the natural outflow would be to practice all of the doctrine, not merely just some aspects of the doctrine, for it is truly the church His body who is called in the heavenly calling, wherein we find that we do not fight with flesh and blood, but with spiritual wickedness in the heavenly spheres, to which end, they are learning something of the manifold wisdom of God by His body, the church, Eph. 3. 10 (doctrine).

Furthermore, without the fullest acknowledgment of the doctrine as it is given, people tend to mix the various doctrines together, not realizing that the church body was not, and had not been taught in the Gospels, or by James, Peter, John, or Jude, nor was the church body discussed in the epistles of Romans, Galatians, Corinthians, Thesselonians, or Hebrews.

The very first instruction to the church body is found and deliniated in the first three chapters of Ephesians, resulting, hopefully, and only by acknowledgment, in that worthy walk of Ephesians 4-6,wherein the very first fruit which comes forth from doctrinal understanding is the gaurding of the Spirit in the bond of the love, Eph. 4.3.

first the root
then the fruit

HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Pleasemaranatha:
Hi His Grace, Gog Bless

I thought you intended to say "Blog bless" [Big Grin]

Thanks S-O much for that wonderful site. [spiny] I am sure it will be a great blessing.

A number of preachers are preaching on Ephesians lately, including a series at my church. I wonder why??

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOD BLESS

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi His Grace,

I think this is it. www.ccel.org/g/gurnall/armour/home.htm

then you have to click on each section one at a time in the box

so far it seems wonderful and on target

Gog Bless

--------------------

Joyce

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of William Gurnell before, but this is a very impressive quote. Can I be so bold as to ask for the link to Armor of God Joyce?

quote:
The Puritan William Gurnell lived in South east England never moving more than 50 miles from his place of birth. Known for being a fine preacher his most famous work was on Ephesians chapter 6. These two quotations are from early on in the book.

In a word - God, angels and the saints already with the Lord are spectators, watching how you conduct yourself as a child of the most high. This crowd of witnesses shouts joyfully from the celestial sidelines every time you defeat a temptation, scale a difficulty, or regain lost ground from your enemies. And if the fight should be too much for you, your dear saviour stands by with reserves for your relief at a moments notice.

The strength of an earthly general lies in his troops - he flies upon their wings. If their feathers get clipped or their necks broken he is helpless. But in the army of saints, the strength of the whole host lies in the Lord of Hosts. God can overcome His enemies without help from anyone, but His saints cannot so much as defend the smallest outpost without His strong arm

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Born Again,

I downloaded it off the internet search and saved it on my favorite section so I can read it like a book. I printed out some sections to read with my bible when I am not online.

Thanks,

--------------------

Joyce

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

WEB RESULTS

Gurnall, William (1617-1679) Works about William Gurnall. Works by William Gurnall.

Is that him, sister?

Yes, looks like him:

WILLIAM GURNALL - LoveToKnow Article on WILLIAM GURNALL
... WILLIAM GURNALL. GURNALL, WILLIAM (1617-1679), English author, was born in 1617 at Kings Lynn, Norfolk ... the 12th of October 1679. ]Gurnall is known by his Christian in Complete Armour ...

Where did you get the book?

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sister Pleasemaranatha, I have not read him before, but you make it sound exciting. To be lazy, is his work on the Internet?

I do think the Lord God Jeshuah through the Holy Spirit does give certain members deep revelation perhaps of just one section of His Word. Like Watchman Nee received Romans, perhaps William ?? got "the Armour of God".

God bless, died and BORN AGAIN in Christ.

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

I've been reading and studing on the armour of God by William Gurnall. It is so great...deeper than I ever heard explained before. Has anyone else studied his explainations of Eph. 6:10 ????
So far, I'm chewing on it slowly, it sounds correct. What do you all think about his teachings?

--------------------

Joyce

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement