Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » was it necessary to throw 10,000 people down a cliff?

Author Topic: was it necessary to throw 10,000 people down a cliff?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
What possessed Amaziah to do that? He had mostly been doing "what was right in the sight of the LORD" until then? Very strange.
God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Sorry for sabotaging your thread BORN AGAIN, but I will attempt to redeem myself a little bit.

King Amaziah,for the most part, was noble and good, but he had a seed of carnality.

2 Chron.2:25 Amaziah did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight, but not wholeheartedly.

~After he defeated the Edomites, he brought back their idols and worshiped. them A prophet told him that God would punish him for worshiping other gods but the king refused to listen and dismissed him.

2 Chron. 52:16 But the king interrupted him and said, "Since when have I asked your advice? Be quiet now before I have you killed!"
So the prophet left with this warning: "I know that God has determined to destroy you because you have done this and have not accepted my counsel."

~The king's disobedience to God resulted in his being captured by the army of King Jehoash of Israel, and a large portion of the Jerusalem's wall being destroyed by them. Gold and silver were taken from the Temple of God. Also treasures were taken from the royal palace, along with hostages.

Because of pride and disobedience, King Amaziah turned away from God. Conspiracy developed against his life. He later fled Jerusalem, but his enemies sent assasins to follow him and he was killed there.

The problem with King Amaziah was that he let pride and weakness overrule him and it ended in his ultimate destruction.

I find it interesting that God said nothing about the cruel way in which he defeated his enemies. First and foremost, He demands that we always obey and worship Him only and not to let fleshly desires turn us to attractions (idols) of this world.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[pound] [pound] [pound] [roll on floor] [Eek!] [pound] That was soo funny HisGrace. Made my day. [wave3]
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What possessed Amaziah to do that? He had mostly been doing "what was right in the sight of the LORD" until then? Very strange
As Church Lady would say, "Could it be S-A-T-A-N??"

-

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Chronicles 25

11 And {king} Amaziah {of Judah} strengthened himself, and led forth his people, and went to the valley of salt, and smote of the children of Seir {of Esau or Edom} 10,000.

12 And another 10,000 were left alive whom the children of Judah carried away captive, and brought them to the top of the rock and threw them down from the top of the rock, that they all were broken in pieces.

It's a good thing they did not have TV, nor neighborhood videos, emails, text messaging, and blogs in those days.

Another thing that is very surprising about the rest of this account:

14 Now it came to pass, after that Amaziah was come from the slaughter of the Edomites, that he brought the gods of the children of Seir, and set them up to be his gods, and bowed down himself before them, and burned incense unto them.

15 Therefore the anger of the LORD was kindled against Amaziah, and he sent a prophet to him who said to him, Why have you sought after the gods of the people, which could not deliver their own people out of your hand?

What possessed Amaziah to do that? He had mostly been doing "what was right in the sight of the LORD" until then? Very strange.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement