Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Matthew 24 = Rapture?

Author Topic: Matthew 24 = Rapture?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 14:1-4
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.

I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 13
29 But he said, No; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

God bless, BORN AGAIN

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 24:31 "He will send out His angels with loud trumpet, and they will gather His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."

This is the Rapture event and a different event from the one described later in Matthew 24, where one is taken and one if left as in the days of Noah.

In verse 31 notice that the elect are already in the air. They are not taken from the fields.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
I agree with Spargimino. Throughout the Bible, the ones that are "taken away" are the wicked.

Isaiah 57:1 The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB posts Dr. Spargimino's article
quote:
Some have observed that there are statements in Matthew 24 that sound like the rapture.

For example, vs 40-41 tell us: "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, the other left."

All this talk about "taking" is often understood to mean "being taken away in the rapture." A closer study of the text, however, shows that this is not at all the case.

Our Lord illustrates end-time events from the days of Noah. In verse 37ff Jesus explains: "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away…" This "taking away" is a taking away INTO JUDGMENT. Therefore, verses 40-41 cannot mean "taking away in the rapture."

I agree with Spargimino. Throughout the Bible, the ones that are "taken away" are the wicked.

In the parable of the net, both the good AND bad fish are still in the net together, and the bad fish are thrown away.

When the angels come, they gather the tares first and burn them or take them away, while the wheat is put in the storage.

In Malachi's oven, the wicked are burned to ashes or taken away and the good walk on the ashes of the wicked.

In Jericho, Rahab is saved, but the rest are killed or taken away.

In Sodom and Gomorrah, Zoar and Lot is saved, but the rest are overturned and taken away.

In Egypt, the firstborn of Egypt are taken away, and the Israelites are saved.

Malachi 4
1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But to you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And you shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guys needs to get his facts straight. Perhaps I'll put my two cents worth in when I get time.

Bandit

Posts: 113 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 2 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Larry Spargimino

Question: Does Matthew chapter 24 speak about the rapture of the church, or is it speaking about something else?

Answer: Matthew 24 is part of our Lord's so-called "Olivet Discourse" and deals with last things (eschatology). Jesus delivered this discourse from the Mount of Olives. Verses 2 and 3 tell us this: "And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? Verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. And as He sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, Tell us when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

Some have observed that there are statements in Matthew 24 that sound like the rapture. For example, verses 40-41 tell us: "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, the other left." All this talk about "taking" is often understood to mean "being taken away in the rapture." A closer study of the text, however, shows that this is not at all the case.

Our Lord illustrates end-time events from the days of Noah. In verse 37 and following Jesus explains: "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away…" This "taking away" is a taking away INTO JUDGMENT. Therefore, verses 40-41 cannot mean "taking away in the rapture." Two different eschatological events are being presented. Those who were taken away in the days of Noah were taken away in a flood of water. It is doubtful if the rapture is being presented in Matthew 24.

There is one other reason that I want to mention that suggests that Matthew 24 is not speaking about the rapture, and that is the fact that in the Olivet Discourse there are words that exhort the hearers to watch and to be ready.

If they are not watching, and if they are not ready, they will be punished eternally. One such parable is found in Matthew 25:45-51. In the letters to the churches, however, believers are reminded that whether we are watching or not watching, we will live with the Lord. We are told, in 1 Thessalonians 5:10, that Christ "died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him."

There is something else that confirms this, and that is the fact that Matthew 24 mentions several signs. What signs are these? They are signs for those living in the Tribulation. A study of the rapture passages shows that there are no signs for those living in the church age waiting for an imminent rapture. In Matthew 24:23 and 24 our Lord says: "Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders."

These are the signs and wonders that shall be evident before the coming of the Lord to reign and rule on earth for a thousand years. There are, however, no signs for the rapture. It's a signless event that could happen at any moment. Nothing more needs to be fulfilled for the rapture to take place.

http://www.swrc.com/qanda/matthew24.htm

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement