Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Living in the Spirit

Author Topic: Living in the Spirit
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
prolix, So what is God's standard for holiness?
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Born Again,

Apart from the Ten Commandments, there were other things inside the Ark. 'Thy law is within My heart' Ps 40. The Lord Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, and His Spirit living in us fulfils the Law. So I cannot understand what you mean when you say: "Inside the ark were the 10 commandments, which represented sinful men, having to be constrained by ten basic laws."
That sounds very strange.

We have to live a holy life. Being saved, doesnt make us irresponsible. I am no longer legalistic but, by the grace of God, and having the fear of God, I seek to be holy as God is holy. Without holiness I cannot see God, Heb 12.14

--------------------
http://procyon4x.blogspot.com

Posts: 28 | From: maldives | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the LORD looking down from between the cherubim in the Holy of Holies at the mercy seat sprinkled with the blood of the atonement, and seeing His Son there in the future. And now the work has been completed, and when God looks at me, He doesn't see me.

He sees the blood of His Son Jesus Christ sprinkled on the doorposts of my heart.

The mercy seat covered the ark, so that the LORD could not look inside the ark for the mercy seat which was above on top of the ark. From between the cherubim, the LORD could only see the mercy seat, and the LORD knew that that blood on the mercy seat would be the blood of dear His Son one day.

Inside the ark were the 10 commandments, which represented sinful men, having to be constrained by ten basic laws.

The mercy seat was over the ten commandments and the ten commandments could no longer be seen. The LORD only sees the blood on the mercy seat.

Likewise, if by faith we apply the blood that Jesus shed on the cross to the doorposts of our hearts, the LORD cannot take His eyes of the blood of His Son and He will altogether have forgotten about us.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 7 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How wonderful to cease from one's labours, from the struggling and striving, the worries and anxieties of daily living. How wonderful to 'rest in the Lord and wait patiently and expectantly for Him'. The Lord will never disappoint His faithful children. Keep believing!

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: maldives | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

It was not until I read Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life (paperback, about US$9), that I found out that I was "dead in Christ". I was reading it on a large boulder in the mountains and I remember laughing uproariously when the realization came to me that I was "dead in Christ" and that "a dead man can not do anything".

From that day onward, I "ceased from my own labors" and look only to the "exchanged life" of Jesus Christ. I have "put on Christ", so that, when God the Father looks at me on the earth, He does not see me but sees the work of His Son covering me and He is satisfied and very pleased with the covering of Christ on me.

It is, as you say prolix, "no longer trying, but trusting".

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 7 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the good response. I hope we have many more serious Christians who 'live Christ' on this website. God bless you all.

--------------------

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bible says the older people are suppose to train the younger. We lack in that. Good point HFHS.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that your post is very true Prilox, too many in the church have not been taught to die or to rest. I know that this was me for a very long time. We dont really get the New Creature. Re-birth for so many is not real... not tangible not of subastance.

I often think of it like this:

Judaism was so consumed with the natural that they did not get that God was giving them something spiritual; they were so focused on living this life that they did not get what was theirs in the life to come;

Too many in Christianity are so focused on the life to come that they do not realize what is given us in this life.

It is as if we have the same trouble as Judaism in the reverse. And yet the life to come that they were promised we have in this life, if we would only realize it.

We dont understand that we are NOW seated with Christ in the heavenlies and that we are now citzens of heaven and that we live now this life on earth from above in spite of all that the flesh and bones that we will one day shed experiences. We do not know that we are not our bodies.

It is strange, but I think it is the fault that we have not made disciples; we have not taught people how to die that Christ might live in us and through us.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in the spirit to me means yielding everything to God. Often God will tell us to do something and instead we do what we want to do. Or we know that the sin that is facing us looks really good, but we sometimes choose to sin instead of walking in the presence of God, again because we want our own will to be done in our lives.

I think that one of the greatest sacrifices to make that will actually have a positive impact on our lives is to pray and read God's word daily. Yet so often we get caught up in business and then we we do have spare time we use it watching tv or I often use it playing spider solitaire on the computer. Again, we are doing what we want instead of what God would have us do.

Being in bible school has taught me this the most. I use read the bible but I didn't study it. I would read it and not seek to see what is really being said. Like finding out the customs of the bible days which often puts a whole new meaning on the interpretation of the Word. Now, I am given homework so I have to study the bible deeper and I have found that the more time I spend in prayer, studying, and of course having church every morning before classes start, I have seen significant changes in my life. Now, I am more pliable so God can shape me.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Beautiful post prolix. I love that word 'resting'. It shows that we have totally yielded to the Lord's will, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, for our lives.

There are three kinds of faith -

-Little faith (restless, struggling, waivering)
-Great Faith (reaching, maturing faith)
-Perfect Faith (resting faith)

prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Living in the Spirit means that I trust the Holy Spirit to do in me what I cannot do myself. This life is completely different from the life I would naturally live of myself. Each time I am faced with a new demand from the Lord, I look to Him to do in me what He requires of me. It is not a case of trying but of trusting; not of struggling but of resting in Him... I shall not set out with a determined effort to change myself, but, reckoning myself dead in Christ to these things, I shall look to the Spirit of God to produce in me the needed purity or humility or meekness. This is what it means to 'stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will work for you'[Exodus 14.13]

Would you agree with the above statements? Are we really living in the Spirit, and walking according to the Spirit? Are we not striving to do things, struggling to some form of attainment? 'Be still [cease striving] and know that I am God' Psalm 46.10 Are we 'resting in the Lord' and 'waiting patiently for Him'? Psalm 37.7

Why are we not appropriating the abundant grace of God in our lives today? Don't we realize that the Holy Spirit will carry you through?

Can I have your comments in this regard?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement