Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Fragrance of Christ

Author Topic: The Fragrance of Christ
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brother Prolix writes
quote:
I know that being crushed is not easy, being broken is not easy, following the Lord is not easy.
I'm not so sure that "being crushed" or "being broken" is necessary. Rather, what is necessary is the realization that "I am dead in Christ" and that a "dead man can do nothing" to help things along.

Second, knowing that I have received the Spirit to help me, I can rest from the two realizations; "a dead man can do nothing to help" and "the Spirit in me will surely produce something good in me", and upon those two realizations I can "rest from my own works".

None of the above requires "being crushed" or "being broken"; the only requirement is knowledge of what we have in Christ and what we are in Christ. We can, indeed, start resing in an instant, once the realization of deadness hits us good.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 7 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right, Born Again. I know that being crushed is not easy, being broken is not easy, following the Lord is not easy -- but once people around us are aware of that fragrance of Christ, I think it is worth it!

I have sensed that fragrance in very few people. I wish that I too will have the fragrance of Christ.

--------------------
http://procyon4x.blogspot.com

Posts: 28 | From: maldives | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brother Prolix writes:
quote:
And also in 2 Kings 4.9, the prominent woman of Shunem regarding Elisha: Behold now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God passing by us continually.

I wish people could say that about us. It is a great thing: What others say about us!

Thanks for that scripture, prolix, I love that one in this Topic context. And there are days when they do say something about me. [Big Grin] And then on other days, not. [angel3]

God of Israel, please bless us, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 7 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also in 2 Kings 4.9, the prominent woman of Shunem regarding Elisha: 'Behold now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God passing by us continually.'

I wish people could say that about us. It is a great thing: What others say about us!

Prolix [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: maldives | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acts 4:13
Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

God bless, BORN AGAIN

prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prolix   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When one has deeply suffered, and is broken, then others sense something special, a special fragrance, about the one who has suffered. The writer [W.N.] is talking about something spiritual and wonderfully real. We can also be the fragrance of Christ, according to 2 Cor 2.14.

The point is not about Bible knowledge, but 'experiencing Christ' and 'transmitting Christ'. These are spiritual realities. Christ is the reality of life!

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by prolix:
'And the house was filled with the [sweet] odour of the ointment' John 12.3 Whenever you meet someone who has really suffered, someone who has gone through experiences with the Lord...who has been willing to be 'imprisoned' by Him and has learned to find satisfaction in the Lord and nowhere else -- then immediately you become aware of something; your spiritual senses detect a sweet savour of Christ. Something has been crushed, something has been broken in that life, and you smell the fragrance.

The pouring of the sweet perfume on Jesus was also symbolic of preparing Jesus' body for burial as part of the embalming process. I have heard it said that perhaps this sweet odour lingered on Jesus' body as he was hanging on the cross.

I like your analogy that like Jesus' crushed, broken body, his sweet savour can permeate through and strengthen us in our brokeness.

prolix
Advanced Member
Member # 5349

'And the house was filled with the [sweet] odour of the ointment' John 12.3 By the breaking of the flask and the anointing of the Lord Jesus, the house was pervaded with the sweetest fragrance. What is the significance of this?

Whenever you meet someone who has really suffered, someone who has gone through experiences with the Lord...who has been willing to be 'imprisoned' by Him and has learned to find satisfaction in the Lord and nowhere else -- then immediately you become aware of something; your spiritual senses detect a sweet savour of Christ. Something has been crushed, something has been broken in that life, and you smell the fragrance.

Does that odour that filled the house that day in Bethany fill the Church today? Is that sweet odour being manifested in our lives? You cannot produce such impressions of God upon others without the breaking of everything, even your most precious possessions, at the feet of the Lord Jesus.

What do you think? Do you agree with all of the above comments?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement