Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Triune God in the OT - Observation by Tazman

Author Topic: The Triune God in the OT - Observation by Tazman
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an old post from our brother Tazman; he posted it way back in 2002, and these recent discussions on the diety of Christ made me think of it. It was a blessing to me then and I hope it will bless someone today as it did us back then..

I personally find these recent discussions on the diety of Christ to be very sad, because the truth is that if Christ were not God manifest in the flesh, then his sacrifice would be insufficient to atone for sin of the just and the unjust. This could only be done by God. God has always been The Redeemer.

Here is Taz's post:

Hey All,

This is why it pays to read Scripture on a daily basis. I have read this passage several times over the years but never made the connection that I did today. I have always heard that the Trinity is a New Testament concept. And while the Old Testament alludes to the plurality the one God possesses [Genesis 1--. . . . Let us make man in our image . . . ], you never see the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit mentioned in a concrete way. But check this out:

Isaiah 48:11-17:
11. For My own sake, for My own sake, I will do it;
For how should My name be profaned?
And I will not give My glory to another.
12. “Listen to Me, O Jacob,
And Israel, My called:
I am He, I am the First,
I am also the Last.
13. Indeed My hand has laid the foundation of the earth,
And My right hand has stretched out the heavens;
When I call to them,
They stand up together.
14. “All of you, assemble yourselves, and hear!
Who among them has declared these things?
The LORD loves him;
He shall do His pleasure on Babylon,
And His arm shall be against the Chaldeans.
15. I, even I, have spoken;
Yes, I have called him,
I have brought him, and his way will prosper.
16. “Come near to Me, hear this:
I have not spoken in secret from the beginning;
From the time that it was, I was there.
And now the Lord GOD and His Spirit
Have sent Me.”
17. Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer,
The Holy One of Israel:
“I am the LORD your God,
Who teaches you to profit,
Who leads you by the way you should go.

These are the points that caught my attention like never before and implored me to further explore this passage.

Vs. 11--I will not give My glory to another.
Vs. 12--I am He, I am the First, I am also the Last. I have not spoken in secret from the beginning;
Vs. 16--From the time that it was, I was there. And now the Lord GOD and His Spirit Have sent Me.
Vs. 17--Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, The Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God,

I got out my Strongs and started to chart the Hebrew words used and this is what I found:

In this chapter of Isaiah, YHWH, “the first” and “the last”, the one who has “laid the foundation of the earth” and “spanned (measured) the heavens”, who existed “from the beginning”, says, that the Lord (Adonai) YHWH and His Spirit has sent Him. The YHWH sent also cannot be less than the YHWH senders because YHWH will not give His glory to another.

The obvious and reasonable conclusion is that the YHWH sent is one in essence and being with the YHWH senders.
[ A little clarification for those who are new to the faith, or who may not be familiar with the term YHWH. YHWH is not really a word. It is called a tetragramation—the four consonants standing for the ancient Hebrew name of God commonly referred to as Jehovah or Yahweh. The word adonai—meaning “my Lord,” was substituted for YHWH in the reading form of the text because YHWH was considered to sacred a term to speak out loud.]

I count three distinct personalities of YHWH.
(1) YHWH who is sent, (2) Lord YHWH, and (3) His Spirit, who are the senders.

Now lets look at the facts of the New Testament that show the fulfillment of this prophecy.

We know that YHWH who was sent was Jesus.

John 1:1:
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

We know that YHWH who was sent is the first and the last.

Revelation 1:11:
11. saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and, “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.”

We know that YHWH who was sent created all things.

John 1:3:
3. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

We know that YHWH who was sent came from the Father.

John 8:42:
42. Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.

We know that YHWH who was sent arrived by means of the Holy Spirit.

Luke 1:34-35:
34. Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?”
35. And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.

This, my friends, is the Trinity being taught in the Old Testament.

Thus, the Trinity is a Biblical, Old Testament and New Testament, concept.

God reveals something new to me every time I read his Word

I hope this blesses you as much as it did me.

May God Bless,
TazMan

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement