Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is Scripture Influenced By The Customs of the Day?

Author Topic: Is Scripture Influenced By The Customs of the Day?
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey brother Titus (I'll call you "brother" without looking it up on your Profile), that was too funny. And so true. Brother, did you write that yourself (with the help of the Holy Spirit of course)?

And so true. I mean Solomon was rocking, and the closest thing I can think of to a wife asking her husband to please sleep with the housekeeper are the modern "swinging couples" clubs.

It's a different world now, isn't it Titus? Interesting how that changed from that to what we mostly have now.

But mind you, Titus, you are probably a Caucasian with European-style and/or American style laws (derived from Judeo-Christianity BTW), but in many countries of the world these Abe and Solomon things are still happening.

But the Christian countries have by-and-large adopted the Bible's view of the matter: "In the beginning He made them man and wife and the two shall be one."

(good ending, LORD).

May the LORD God of Israel bless us all on this CBBS, let's pray more for ourselves. I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus right now. When I was gone, He did not let me slip away.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it more as the creatures attempt to stand on creature strength rather than upon the word of God.

It had been many years, they were both getting up there beyond the child bearing years, well beyond them and so what happens? Thoughts happen. Not the Lord's thoughts, but the thoughts common to man happen.

Well, maybe the Lord meant something else, yes, that's it, the Lord meant that we should find a way to get the job done, so Abram, you will have our child by the hired help. That must be what the Lord meant.

We have the same thing today with all kinds of doctrine, not appointed to wrath must mean rapture and crazy stuff like that. Stuff bearing man's idea, yet without even one clear cut verse, while at the same time going against every verse that IS written.

This is what the outworking of God is to accomplish, that the creature learn it cannot stand upon creature strength, but upon EVERY word that proceedeth out from the mouth of God.

Not just the one's of our choosing, but upon EVERY word. They are God's understanding. They speak clearly. It is man who changes their meanings to fit man's invironmentals.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is relative except the Word of God. It is the one thing that transcends all space and time. The one thing you can totally rely on.

Customs of the Day have changed and are constantly changing. Customs are also more based on culture than anything else. Here in Nigeria, some examples you gave are not that "out of the ordinary".

Your reaction is based on your own value system that has been influenced by the society you live in. I would guess that to be fairly Liberal (&PC) if you live in the US or Europe. Some other cultures find this Liberalism to be repulsive and sinful. So who is right? Satan has been busy for thousands of years influencing society to be unfertile towards the Word of God.

God gave Adam one wife and has always maintained that this was his will. Also the different roles of man and woman has always been very clear.

God has always been very tolerant of our propensity towards sin, however, this tolerance should not be confused with injustice. The Moabites and the children of Ammon came about by the ungodly union of Lots daughters. God used these peoples later to severely punish Israel for disobedience.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not influenced by neither the day nor this world but Established.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Psa 93:1 The LORD reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the LORD is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.

1. Reign
2. Majesty
3. Strength

We learn that those events you mention brought sorrow and ungodly pleasures.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is. Can you imagine your wife telling you to go into the bedroom with your housekeeper and physically impregnate her so her husband (you!) could have an heir? Or two women getting their father drunk then 'lying' with him so they could have some children because "there is no man around here to lie with us?" Or having 700 wives and three hundred live in girlfriends? Or not permitting women to speak in church? All of the above things were considered 'normal' at the time the bible was written but in today's society Abe would be an adulterer, Lot would be arrested for being a pedophile or at least be guilty of incest, and Solomon would be put in prison for being a major bigamist, and if women are not permitted to speak in church, hell is going to have millions of 20th and 21st century women in it. I can't seem to find where God called Abe on the carpet for adultery, or that He was upset with Lot's daughters, or where He commanded Solomon to weed his wives out to one and get rid of all the concubines. So what has changed?

Titus

Posts: 27 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement