Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The importance of specifying which God we mean

Author Topic: The importance of specifying which God we mean
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
timspong writes
quote:
According to Muslims they are descendents of Abraham and Ishmael.
yes, that is a good point. they do maintain that. however, that does not necessarily make it true.

Lucifer-Satan is the author of that book of Islam and God Jesus said that "the devil was a liar from the beginning."

It is however true, as you have well pointed out, that Lucifer-Satan chose to use a tribe from the Makkah-Medinah region of middlewest Arabia and this Makkah tribe chose to use most of the characters and symbols of the book written by the LORD YHWH of Israel.

Why would a tribe in middlewest Arabia decide to use most of the characters of "Abraham's book", so to speak, unless, as you say, they were in fact descended from Abraham-Hagar Ishmael.

It is apparently geographically true that the Abraham-Hagar Ishmaelites and the Abraham-Keturah-Midianites inhabited the northwest side of the Arabian peninsula, and they could well have possessed the whole coastland of northwest Arabia as far south as Makkah-Medinah in middlewest Arabia.

so you may be right; your point has made me rethink this issue, and I do find it curious that an Arabian tribe would use the book of the tribe of Israel, and change a few things like claim that the original had said that the world would be blessed and the Prince should come, through Ishmael and not through Isaac:

Genesis 21:12
And God said to Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Romans 9:7
Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Genesis 17:20
And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

Genesis 21
20And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

21And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.

Genesis 25:16
And these are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.

From the wilderness of Paran, the Abraham-Hagar Ishmaelites apparently began to intermarry with the Abraham-Keturah-Midianites, to the point where the Old Testament calls the slave traders who take Joseph down to Egypt by the name Ishmaelites as well as the name Midianites.

and these Ishmaelites/Midianites probably controlled that northwest coast of Arabia and at times probably controlled seaport Jiddah from which one ascends a valley onto the tableland plateau on which Makkah is located.

and undoubtedly, the Quran of Islam came from Makkah and Medinah.

so good point, timspong. BORN AGAIN [Cross]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Muslims they are descendents of Abraham and Ishmael. They believe Mecca (the box containing the stone from heaven) was even built by Ishmael himself. In fact the two main sects of Islam are divided on the issue of who are the rightful descendents of Ishmael. They keep almost as good a record of genealogy as the Jews.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

timspong writes
quote:
Ge 21:18 "Arise, lift up the lad and hold him with your hand, for I will make him a great nation."

ie the nation of islam

I don't think it is known whether Islam is descended from Ishmael.

Ishmael already "back then in Genesis days" became a great nation, with his 12 sons becoming 12 dukes who lived in the wilderness of Paran.

Later the Abraham-Hagar Ishmaelites apparently intermarried with the Abraham-Keturah Midianites and they inhabited the northwest corner of Arabia.

When Terah and Abram and Sarai and Lot left Ur of the Chaldees, there were still many people remaining in Ur, plus there were many other cities in southeast Iraq and in northeast Arabia.

In addition, the Shemite Eber had two sons, Peleg and Joktan.

Genesis 10:25
And to Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

The Israelites are descended from Eber-Peleg, but the Eber-Joktanites went into Arabia, esp. into middlesouth and south Arabia and became the great Joktanite kingdom.

As far as I know, it is therefore unknown whether Islam descended from the Ishmaelites.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
reflectingtheson
greetings. I believe your question points to Genesis 3:15. Count how many seeds there are in that verse, noting who's they belong to, note the meaning of the word 'again' in ch4v2, and note who is not listed in Abraham's geneology, but has his own. see 1Jo 3:12, Ezr 2:62, Neh 7:64, Mat 23:2, Mat 13:37-40 (where Christ uses plain speach in the privacy of the house to the disciples).

reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point well taken, timspong.

And after reading epouraniois post I see what Jesus called our Father and will look more to that name.

Wasn't is Jesus that told the jews of his day that they 'called themselves the children of Abraham yet their father was the devil'. Could the same be said of many faiths on the earth today, thinking they are doing "God's" will yet they are against HE who sits in the Highest Heaven who sent His Son to dwell among us for the salvation of our spirits through the spilling of His blood.

Rick

Posts: 43 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him

Joh 20:17 Jesus saith...I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Joh 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Joh 10:30 I and my Father are one.

Phi 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Bro. Timothy,
I was raised in the Assembly of God Church but when hubby got saved, he chose the Baptist Church as our home Church. I am just so happy that hubby and son are both are saved and I have come to love the Baptist Church.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muslims pray to the God of Abraham so that would infer they are praying to the same God as us. What is different is how they are misguided into beliving salvation by works rather than grace. They follow the line of Ishmael rather than Issac.

Ge 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, "What ails you, Hagar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the lad(ishmael)where he is.
Ge 21:18 "Arise, lift up the lad and hold him with your hand, for I will make him a great nation."

ie the nation of islam

Personally the God I pray to is my Father in Heaven. There may be many pretenders but there is only one creator of heaven and earth.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree BA. To many people are against praying in Jesus name because they want a pc "god" that will appeal to the masses.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reflectingtheson
Advanced Member
Member # 5083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflectingtheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't Agree more! Lots of people pray to "GOD" and yet I also think they don't know who they are calling on. Even our president, who I support most of the time, has said that " the christian, jew, and muslim all pray to the same "GOD". Now maybe he has said this in some PC effect to not make waves but how many people were swayed to believe this and be lead to everlasting death because of this PC lie.

May the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob Help us all to see Him more clearly.

Rick

Posts: 43 | From: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

I think that the LORD God of Israel asks us to identify Him more.

It is not enough to just say God.

God who? There are thousands of Gods on the earth. What? the God of Israel?

why would someone in Korea choose the God of Israel?

or why would someone in the USA choose the God of Israel?

we have chosen the God of Israel as our God. we need to be more diligent about taking the time to identify our God by identifying that we are talking about the LORD God of Israel or the God of Israel or the LORD of Israel or the LORD YHWH of Israel.

the world needs to hear that. Lucifer-Satan really does not mind God all that much? God all you want, as far as he is concerned. Just don't add the "of Israel" part. [clap2]

May the LORD God of Israel bless us all, I am BORN AGAIN in the USA by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement