Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » I will make you fishers of men; the kingdom of God has come near

Author Topic: I will make you fishers of men; the kingdom of God has come near
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say one more thing, lol, - ain't it just like me - and that is about Israel; the title Israel belongs to all the tribes.

From Genesis twelve, where the promise of a seed was made to Abraham, to the last chapter of the Acts, the Jew or Israel dominate the Scriptures and blessing and purpose are related to them. The only portion of Scripture where Israel, as a factor, is absent, is the dispensation of the Mystery, the parenthetical period that intervenes between the blindness of Israel which came upon them in Acts twenty-eight, and the day when their eyes shall be opened and they will look upon Him Whom they pierced.

The first title given to Israel in the Scriptures is found in Exodus 4:22: "Israel is My son, even My firstborn", and the last is found in Isaiah 46:13: "Israel My glory". The earthly ministry of Christ was limited to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Matt. 10:6, 15:24). While others spoke of Christ as "The King of the Jews", the Jews themselves used the title "The King of Israel" (Matt. 27:42, Mark 15:32, John 1:49 and 12:13).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Why do you think the word 'kai' is emphatic.

Does it matter that this was addressing the gentiles in this portion of the letter, or that God has not yet again taken up the work with Israel that He so blinded upon the rejection of the King and their 'at hand' kingdom?

IOW's, does it matter when God introduces a change or a new command? What if the disciples had said, no Lord, we will only do that which you have already said, but will not do that which you have 'but now' said? Would that work, Biblically?

Look at the following, and see what you see:

"For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of Him that calleth, it was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger" (Rom. 9:11,12).

This is not the only place where a distinction is made between the true seed, and the merely natural seed. For example, when the Lord looked upon Nathanael he said, "Behold, an Israelite indeed" (John 1:47). And again, in John 8, we read:

"They answered and said unto Him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham. . . . Ye do the deeds of your father. . . . Ye are of your father the Devil" (John 8:39-44).

In the epistle to the Romans itself we have the distinction between the natural and the spiritual seed brought forward:

"For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh. But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly: and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God" (Rom. 2:28,29).

These words are immediately followed by the question:

"What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?" (Rom. 3:1).

In Galatians four, Ishmael is likened to the unbelieving Jews "born after the flesh", while the true believing Jews are likened to Isaac; and his mother, the freewoman, is likened to Jerusalem that is above, and free. These constitute the "Israel of God" (Gal. 4:21-31, 6:16).

As we study the argument put forward by the Apostle in Romans eleven, an important principle emerges that extends beyond the limits of the people of Israel.

"All Israel" (Rom. 11:26), can only be interpreted aright if the reasoning of Romans nine is adhered to.

"In Isaac shall thy seed be called" (Rom. 9:7). "The children of the promise are counted for the seed" (Rom. 9:8).

This blessing of Israel takes place under the covenant and cannot be spiritualized away and applied or interpreted of the church. In the same way "The Israel of God" (Gal. 6:16) refers to the elect nation and not to the Gentiles. Several facts stand out in the record of Israel's calling.

1. They have a most glorious future under the blessings of the New Covenant.
2. None of these blessings can be legitimately transferred to the Gentiles or the Church.
3. The title "Israel" and "Jew" is never used of any other than this people.
4. God's faithfulness is called in question if the literal interpretation of these passages is denied.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God".

Paul does not mention 2 groups of Christians. The connective "AND" is emphatic, and could be translated "even".

All true believers in Christ ARE the Israel of God. 3:29 says "And if you are Christ's, then you are Abrahams seed and heirs according to the promise".

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

quote:
I interpret this to mean that for now only the church of Israel of God is the kingdom of God, but that then the whole earth will be the kingdom of God (Rev.11:15).
What about all the 'but now' statements which revealed the church which is His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all? Is this body to be ignored or denied?

What about the other group that is mentioned along with the Israel of God, (which is not called a church the way the one body is called a church):

Gal 6:16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

You do realize don't you, that Galatians and Thess's were of the first letters written, before Israel's blindness and subsiquent revelation of the 2nd part of the apostles two fold revelation given in Acts 26

But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
Act 26:16-17

Paul was definately given a new message, one where Israel is a stranger. It is this new message which proclaims the church.

The church was never proclaimed during the Acts. Only the kingdom was proclaimed. But more importantly, where is this church you call Israel of God?

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
epouraniois writes
quote:
Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign forever and ever.
I interpret this to mean that for now only the church of Israel of God is the kingdom of God, but that then the whole earth will be the kingdom of God (Rev.11:15).

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

epouraniois
unregistered

quote:
If then the kingdom of God "had come near" them when they were preaching that it was near inbetween 26 A.D. and 70 A.D., then did the kingdom of God start in 70 A.D. with the formal destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, whose destruction inaugurated the kingdom of God under the administratiion of God, namely Jesus Christ is is both Lord and God?
You quoted verses showing what the kingdom of God was like, the sick were healed, the dead were raised. I havn't heard of anything like Israe's blindnss, or the massacre of ad70, or the introduction of the church which followed bringing in any such things.

Arne't we reading somewhere that in fact and in truth that Satan will set up his kingdom before Christ returns to set up His kingdom?

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign forever and ever.

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus said, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men."

They fished, I suppose, by preaching that the kingdom of God "had come near."

Matthew 12:28
But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come to you.

Mark 1:14
Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God.

Luke 4:43
And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.

Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go you and preach the kingdom of God.

Luke 10:9
And heal the sick that are therein, and say to them, The kingdom of God is come near to you.

If then the kingdom of God "had come near" them when they were preaching that it was near inbetween 26 A.D. and 70 A.D., then did the kingdom of God start in 70 A.D. with the formal destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, whose destruction inaugurated the kingdom of God under the administratiion of God, namely Jesus Christ is is both Lord and God?

what then is the kingdom of God? Is it not the kingdom of God was taken away from Old National Israel and the Lord God Jesus the Messiah Himself took over the administration of the church, the Israel of God, which now is called the Israel of God, meaning, the Israel administered by God.

Until the time comes when the house of Israel and the house of Judah come up out of their graves and go into the land of Israel.

Then, the church, the Israel of God, will be greatly enlarged by the house of Israel and the house of Judah, when to the church of Israel of God is added the who are the children of the promise {thru Isaac}, and whose sins will be unilaterally forgiven by the LORD YHWH and by HIs Son the Lord Jesus, at that time.

At that time the Lord Jesus splits the mount of Olives into a northern half and a southern half, and inbetween a valley through which new water will flow that will ome out of the threshold on the east side, and this new water will flow into the Dead Sea and into the Mediterranean Sea and restore them to great health and beauty.

then the church, the current Israel of God, meaning it is adminstered now by God Himself instead of by Old National Israel, then the church or Israel of God will be enlarged miraculously by the resurrected house of Israel and house of Judah.

may the LORD YHWH of Israel bless. BORN AGAIN [Cross]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement