Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Christ is our covering

Author Topic: Christ is our covering
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Peter 1:
1: Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2: Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1 Peter 5:
1: The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
2: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
3: Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
4: And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

http://www.ldolphin.org/IsChUS.html

The Church is the Bride of Christ. (Ephesians 5:25-33, 2 Cor. 11:2:

"I feel a divine jealousy for you, for I betrothed you to Christ to present you as a pure bride to her one husband."

The church as the ecclesia is a special body of people called out of the world system to be a special, unique, separated, distinctive people.

Jews and Gentiles without distinction make up the Body of Christ. No land is promised to the church, nor an earthly inheritance. The church is not given a sword, nor is she to team up in partnership with governments.

Members of the church are members one of another. There is no hierarchy in the church, all are brothers and sisters. Authority is given on the basis of servant lifestyle. There is no clergy/laity distinction in the NT church.

The Church is a Temple made up of Living Stones. The church gathers together as a worshipping community. Collectively the church is a dwelling place or habitation for God the Holy Spirit.

The church's ultimate dwelling place is the New Jerusalem, the heavenly city.

From the old fallen race of Adam, God is making "One New Man." This new Adam is symbolized by the two communities of the redeemed: Israel and the church. The church represents the soul of the New Man, Israel, the body. God Himself is the Spirit. (Ray C. Stedman). The churches role in the present age was a "Mystery Hidden from Ages Past"

The church as "The Pearl of Great Price" is the special object God's grace and protection and mercy.

The New Covenant ("enacted on better promises"), is given to the church prior to Israel's final restoration under this same New Relationship with God as foretold by the prophets.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you give even one example then, of a gentile being reffered to as a sheep in the Bible?

Even if these 'other sheep' were gentiles, they could not be the church of the one body, for this church is seated with Christ in the heavenly places, whereas every other calling is either on the earth or in the heavenly city, which is also on the earth. But not so with the church of the one body, as it is NEVER seen to be on the earth.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the other sheep to be the Gentiles, who were to be saved later.

John 11:
50: Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51: And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

Eph. 2:
13: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14: For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16: And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18: For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20: And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21: In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

I had't thought of that, do you think this other fold which shall be one fold are the gentiles during the Acts period then?
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Quote:
Covering with a cloak was also the total sum of taking a wife as well. God used this same analogy when He married Israel, before there were two houses. Christ said He has 'other sheep'. These are never mentioned in connection with Him placing His cloak over them as was with Israel.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

John 10:
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Gal. 3:
28: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29: And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

epouraniois
unregistered

Christ is our covering

It is interesting to note, how we are covered, where the OT analogy comes from, something the Jews would know without thinking, but something we might think of unless it is pointed out.

Often the shepherd would have a sheep without, and a lamb without because of death. so the shepherd would skin the dead lamb and cover the living lamb with it, so the mother of the dead lamb would smell her own child, and accept the new lamb as its own; thus it is the covering that allows the parent to accept the unacceptable, and nurture it unto full growth.

Christ died for our sin, He purchased the position to mediate the adoption into the sonship of the royal family. He purchased it by His blood, and covered sin so that Father sees us as He sees Christ. He sees His Son in us.

There is another Biblical analogy that everyone should be aware of. It concerns the fact that His sheep shall hear His voice:

Common to the shepherds life is the fact that sheep will only come to the voice of their shepherd. This is because the shepherd would carry the lamb while it was yet young, covering it with his cloak, the scent of the shepherd, and the shepherd's robe would hold the lamb's.

Covering with a cloak was also the total sum of taking a wife as well. God used this same analogy when He married Israel, before there were two houses. Christ said He has 'other sheep'. These are never mentioned in connection with Him placing His cloak over them as was with Israel.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement