Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Marks Account of the Parables

Author Topic: Marks Account of the Parables
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Heaven and earth belong to God, therefore it belongs to Jesus. He came to bridge the gap so that now we access to Him. His blood was sacrificed so that we are no longer separated from God. Jesus came to reclaim what was stolen.
Carmela

I could not agree more, and isn't amazing that He purchases that which was stolen. Only in righteousness would one think of that, which is why we are but man(kind).

Ijust want you to be careful about believing everything the college's teach, for sometimes, in their conformity to ciriculem, I have noted that anything that isn't pattened answered leaves them all for a lack of ability to search and see.

I was speaking to a preacher of 40 years the other day who said no one ever goes to heaven, that we became Israel and Israel God has forgotten.

That is what he either teaches or learned in his schools. Just check them hard against the word of God, no matter how pleasing their orations appear to be, as it is all Corprate Theology these days, mostly that is -

Be more noble,
Listen with all readiness of mind,
Search the Scriptures
Daily
To see if a thing is so.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UMMMM BA, who says I'm grown up? [Big Grin]

I'm getting there, but.......I'm not there yet. [Wink]

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, thank you, Carmela; when I grow up, maybe I'll be able to go there, sounds like a great school. [thumbsup2]

BORN AGAIN

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA I was just looking over the above posts again and I noticed that a part of my post to you about tuition is missing. Sorry about that. I was saying that the cost at Pinecrest is pretty minimal but if you go to www.pinecrest.org you can get more details. Then, I was telling you that there is a scholarship program available, those details are pretty in tact I think, in the above post. Sorry about that. It seems to happen quite a bit when I reply lately for some reason. I guess I'm typing too fast and accidentally hitting a wrong button or something. [Eek!]

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epouraniois I will attempt to answer this, but if I don't make sense it's because I have a pretty bad head cold so my brain seems to not work as well. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] I just typed part of my reply and lost it and have to type it again and I can't figure out what I did to end up with a clear box again. I know I was typing though. [Wink]

Heaven and earth belong to God, therefore it belongs to Jesus. He came to bridge the gap so that now we access to Him. His blood was sacrificed so that we are no longer separated from God. Jesus came to reclaim what was stolen. I'm certainly not a bible scholar nor do I pretend to be so I will look into it more when I'm feeling better.

BA you said," I scared." [Big Grin] I know how that is. I was also intimidated which kept me from witnessing to others. The bible says;
2 Tim 1:7-8
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
(KJV)

I use to read that scripture and think...that is easier said than done. [Wink] However, as I understand the bible better through studying at school, and I'm not even half as smart as others in my class, I feel more confident in witnessing to others. Now, I not so scared anymore. [Big Grin] Although I do still have moments when I tend to be shy but I'm getting there.

I'm a pretty transparent woman which has gotten me into trouble at times unfortunately, but at the same time it keeps me accountable for my actions. I use to hate to be confronted when people tell me my faults but I have learned to embrace the truth so I can change and grow. Although, I still don't always like to hear the truth, I do like to be aware of my action.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

dear sister Carmela, you write
quote:
A question for you. What is it that keeps us from revealing our hearts to others?
I scared.
quote:
Jesus gave us the obligation to hear, and to be transparent.

Vs. 23-25 if any have ears to hear let him hear...

He also said:

Matthew 7:6
Give not that which is holy to the dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them underfoot, and turn around and rend you.

And He also said:

Matthew 10:16
Look, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

transparent? with the right people, sheep to sheep, yes. I scared, but:

Zechariah 4:6
Then he answered and spoke to me, saying, This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor power, but by My spirit, says the LORD of armies.

Psalm 119:114
You are my hiding place and my shield: I hope in Your word.

So? What is it that keeps us from revealing our hearts to others? I scared but:

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

May the LORD God of Israel bless all who participate on this CBBS, I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth, born in Bethlhem-Judah, of the family of David

Jesus said, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."

epouraniois
unregistered

To add a word regarding the basic tendency of humanity, of which none are totoally ever free, it can be said of the condition of man as it pertains to God's message as it is written, it can be safely stated that much of the failure to understand the Scriptures arises from the fact that we approach its pages thinking that we have to explain the Bible, instead of realizing that the Bible has been written to explain things to us. Further, we approach the various books of the Bible as though they had no connection with the rest of Scriptures, and thereby not only fail to perceive the beautiful design running through the entire Word, but miss a valuable key to its interpretation.

Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

The word of God fell upon a kingdom people, which is the smallest of all, but shall grow into the largest, with birds nesting it's tops. It is their covenant as you have pointed out.

Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

They begin as the smallest of all nations, don't they? They are going to rule as the preimenent nation, yes?

But something happened, we know it did, because they haven't received their kingdom, and we have the Acts testimony and the abayance of Israel realizing her kingdom. But what happened?

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Mar 11:21 And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

Act 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

epouraniois
unregistered

I cannot see comparing the gentile riegn of Nebb to Christ. Not even a little bit.

When I think of the kingdom, Me, I think of the many kingdom's in the Bible. When I think of the kingdom parables given to the disciples to understand, then I think of them understanding the kingdom they had been trained to inherit for centuries. This kingdom is on the earth.

Mat 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell

Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
Mat 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
Mat 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold some sixty, some thirty.

Mat 13:31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field

Now, what is this seed likened to? the kindom of heaven, that is to say, a kingdom which is heavenly in its charactor, but earthly in its position.

What is the kingdom of heaven all about? I always thought it was about Israel receiving it along with their king?

Are you saying their kingdom is a child who grows up to be a tree?

Mat 13:32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

These are the dirty birds, they are Satan's, and I hear you saying that Satan's dirty birds are to roost in Christ, but cannot see this, they are an attack on Israel in every case throughout the OT, so why would this be totally disregarded in favour of some other interpretation. Which reminds me, what do you mean the kingdom of Jesus. I have never heard of that term.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Epouraniois read this please:
Dan 4:1-14
1 Nebuchadnezzar the king, unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you.
2 I thought it good to shew the signs and wonders that the high God hath wrought toward me.
3 How great are his signs! and how mighty are his wonders! his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation.
4 I Nebuchadnezzar was at rest in mine house, and flourishing in my palace:
5 I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me.
6 Therefore made I a decree to bring in all the wise men of Babylon before me, that they might make known unto me the interpretation of the dream.
7 Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.
8 But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying,
9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.
10 Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great.
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth:
12 The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.
13 I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;
14 He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches:
(KJV)

Both stories are very similar. With Jesus being in the place of Nebuchadnezzar.

Why would it be Israel, when God's Kingdom is the biggest of all and will never fall, not Israel. Yes, Israel is the chosen land, but Jesus is the largest tree of the garden, not Israel. Israel is in the natural, God's Kingdom is in the spiritual which is where we all be some day. We will again be in the spiritual word with God, not in this natural world with Satan.

When we think of the Kingdom, doesn't that mean "with God"?

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

epouraniois
unregistered

Kingdom of Jesus?

I don't understand how you can say the seed is the Christ, and then turn right around and say it is a kingdom of God parable? I thought it was only one seed. In fact, I thought it was the one seed which is compared to the kingdom people to which He is teaching, but that's just me.

In my view, when Christ tells them He will utter mysteries kept secret since the world began, then that's what I figure He will do. Certainly, it was well known that He would be born a child unto them. They had trained for centuries to receive Him. That was not therefore, the secrets He is uttering.

If we look at the national promises to Israel, it can easily be seen that gentiles will be subordinate to that nation as a great kingdom of priests on the earth. It is their kingdom promise which God that cannot lie gave to their fathers. That they are compared to a tree is all over the OT, and in the New. It is never said that Christ would grow into a great tree. God is compared to a tree, but never in the since of growing into the greatest tree. That is Israel's place. But like I said, that's just the way I read mine, all we can do is continue on to completion, prayerfully asking the Lord to guide us.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Epouraniois we will have to agree to disagree on this one I think.

I'm not at all saying that Jesus wasn't already there in the O.T. Well, He wasn't there is flesh but He was in Spirit. However, if you go through the prophecy in the O.T. and then compare it with Nebuchadnezzar's dream and Daniel's interpretation that was given to Him from God, you will see that both are basically identical. Except, the Kingdom of Jesus never falls. It stays the biggest.

That parable lines up with the life of Jesus. He started, here on earth, as a small seed in a mother's womb. He had nothing at that time. But, as He got older and fulfilled the prophesies and started to move in His ministry, the Kingdom grew very large because Jesus taught the people God's ways. He took them out of the traditional, religious lifestyle they were living, and brought them into a relationship with Him. A Kingdom thrives better when there are people in it. Jesus drew the people to Himself. His Kingdom grew to the largest, then His resurrection, which was also prophesied. Yet His death didn't tear down the Kingdom because He isn't dead. He is alive.

So, what I'm saying is that Kingdom of God is that parable. It's a way of telling the people that Jesus Kingdom is there. Before, without the people having knowledge of the Kingdom, they would fall into religion, and not into a relationship with Christ. Jesus was showing us that we have a home to go to and it will not fall.

My teachers didn't teach us this, they teach us how to study the bible and relate the stories together to understand what is being taught. We have to do the studying part on our own.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

epouraniois
unregistered

If understand what I am reading, it is to mean that the purpose of Christ was not that Israel receive her kingdom, not that He would explain to them what was to happen to them as pertaining to the kingdom, not to teach them what they were to understand but the others who rejected Him to not understand? Butthat Christ was a baby and would grow up. That just doesn't sound very right, I guess that is what they are teaching these days though, so I can only point out the reason and sole purpose of my postings, which are designed to show where God speaks of things, that in the event some might perchance to lean upon Him rather than upon our own understanding, upon the understandings of men.

Certainly, in man's reasoning, children begin as a seed, sort of, but is that the true meaning of the kingdom parables, that Christ began as a seed and needs to grow up? I rather must err on the side of Scripture than to any thoughts I may have of my own or by another man(kind).

Christ did not begin as a seed. Christ had no beginning, He is the self existing sternal one God who in His time will show who is the only Potentate, He is the self same God of the OT who as did the children of the flesh partake of the same, the only one to have never had even a sinful thought, born in all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

But Israel on the other hand, she was chosen from out of all the other nations, with Israel being the smallest of all nations, like the mustard seed, smallest...

Are you saying that Chrsit grew into the greatest tree, that He wasn't always the greatest of all the trees? or that now the dirty birds are not nesting in Israel, that they are nesting in Christ? I cannot agree that this is what the disciples were to be understanding. I believe them to be understanding about the kingdom, which is why they are being instructed in the kingdom parables.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

I will answer my question since I'm going away early in the morning.

When our teacher asked us this question, we were saying things like Jesus would have come to redeems us, even if it was just me that was a Christian. He loves us so much that He goes out of His way to heal us, deliver us, take care of us.

However, our teacher took it one step deeper. He said if Jesus went out of His way by rowing all the way to another shore for the sake of one, shouldn't we?

Then, he told us a story of how his son was in the hospital with a life or death situation and the Pastor and another guy drove 6 hours to the church, prayed for this little boy and then turned around and went home. The next morning, his son came out of the coma and lived.

Shouldn't we do the same and follow Jesus' example?

For me, studying this scripture brought things into a whole new perspective and I see things differently. I have gone out of my way for people, but I wonder...would I go out of my way for someone I don't know? Jesus did!

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Epouraniois if you look at the prophesies in the Old Testament, they were about a child that would be born in Bethlehem. Children start as a seed in their mother's womb. The O.T. was prophesying of the coming Messiah which was Jesus and this parable is talking about the same. That the Messiah would start as a seed, then grow larger than all kingdoms.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

epouraniois
unregistered

I do not think that Christ is the mustard seed. Christ did not begin as a child. Christ began as the Word by which all things were created that was created. Christ alone has immortality. Christ

1Ti 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

The parables relate to the secrets of the kingdom. They teach things hitherto "kept secret since the overthrow of the world" (Matt. 13. 35). Prophets desired to see and hear these things, as Matt. 13. 17 and 1 Pet. 1. 10-12 tell us:

"Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glories that should follow."

Here, as in the majority of Old Testament prophecies, no break is made between the sufferings and the glories. No interval is allowed between "the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God" (Isa. Ixi. 2, cf. Luke iv. 19). The rejection of God's king was only partly seen, the abeyance of the kingdom was a secret. Thus we may place the two passages together:

"I will open my mouth in parables. I will utter things which have been kept secret since the overthrow of the world" (Matt. xiii. 35).

"Why speakest Thou in parables? Because it is given unto you to know the secrets of the kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not given" (Matt. xiii. 10, 11).

Everything leads us to expect that just as in Psa. 78 we shall find in these parables some of the inner workings of God's counsels relative to His purposes in Israel, and that to introduce the doctrinal teaching of the gospel of the grace of God, or the dispensational teaching of the mystery which is not a subject of revelation until over 30 years later (Eph. 3. 1-10), will be to confound things which differ, and signally that they may chose to fail to rightly to divide the Word of truth.

Such is the setting of the first occurrence of the word parable in the New Testament. The parables were used when Israel manifested that the prophecy of Isaiah 6. 10 was fulfilled in them.

The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side . . . and He spake many things unto them in parables . . . and the disciples came and said unto Him, Why speakest Thou in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of the heavens therefore speak I unto them in parables, because they seeing see not and hearing they hear not neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah which saith, By hearing ye shall hear and shall not understand: and seeing ye shall see and shall not perceive: for this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, that many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them (Matt. 13. 1-17).

The parable are teaching them what they were to be doing, and what they could expect from the people while they are doing it, namely to be stewarding the word of repentance and turning to receive the times of refreshing for the kingdom was an at hand kingdom. It was for the disciples to understand these aspects of the kingdom. The very aspects which would come to pass during the outpouring of the HS upon the people as Peter said of Joel, 'this is that'.

They are about Israel, her kingdom, and foretold her immediate future, for they had rejected Christ, even after He showed them He was the foretold prophet, king, priest in Mat12.

In the Old Testament we have "type," in the Gospels we have "parable," and in the Epistles we have "doctrine," as the more prominent features. The parables lead us to contemplate the hidden causes of the failure of Israel in relation to the kingdom, and look forward to the time when all will be put right.

The first occurrence of the word parable in the New Testament is Matt. 13. 3. It follows that chapter wherein culminated the rejection of the Messiah by the people in the land. He had been heralded as their Messiah and King. He had vindicated His claims by the fulfillment of numerous prophecies, both with regard to His Person and His works and in chapter 7. 6, 41 and 42, although greater than the temple, greater than the prophet Jonah, and greater than king Solomon, He yet is "despised and rejected".

He will now tell them of their kingdom by parable, by using speach which tells them along side OT prophecies, namely, they are the smallest seed of any of the nations, the fewest in number, and that they would spring the greatest of all the trees in the field, but the dirty birds would come to nest in their branches, feeding upon all the true sayings of God, corrupting the minds of the Jews till they would at last, refuse the 2nd kingdom offer founded in God's longsuffering forgiveness towards them by which He had come.

Look at the central pair of parables. The Leaven "hidden" in three measures of meal finds its corresponding member in the Treasure "hidden" in the field. The parable of the Tares finds its complement in the parable of the Drag Net. The parable of the Sower is balanced by that of the Scribe, and the Mustard Seed by the Pearl.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

scholarship program though and if people apply in advance they can work 40 hours through the summer, 22 hours I think it is for the school year and that pays for room, food, and classes. It's a great program so people can attend that wouldn't normally afford it. Many people quit because they don't like to comply by the rules so sometimes you have to grin and bear it but it's easier for adults than youth because the rules aren't as strict for adults. The fees aren't as high as most schools though because they try to keep the prices down since student's can't get any outside school assistance.

I will be looking forward to seeing what you have to say, so I hope you will try once more.

Thanks for your blessing over us, I appreciate it.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

dear sister Carmela, I had a great post for typed for you, but I lost it by not typing it in MSWord. I paid the price, and so did you because now I have to say much less.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I think the Lord is really "using you good" and I really like the stuff they teach at "Pinecrest Bible College". How much does it cost to attend there?

God bless, have a blessed holiday. Father, bless her family with favor and wisdom and mercy (now that your justice has been paid for).

"Righteous forevermore, holy is the Lord"

I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth, but born in Bethlehem-Judah, of the family of David, as the unconditional promises had forefold

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Ok, for the next one. Here, we see an Inclusio which is also called book ends. You see a story that starts, is interrupted, then continues. If you read the very first sentence in 4:35, you look for the same sentence which will indicate where the stories end. Then, you read everything together as one story that is in between. ( I learned this in class lol) It helps a lot though when studying. Another thing we learned is to read a section of scriptures and not how many paragraphs, or different stories, are in there. We had to separate all of the paragraphs, then name them and look for words or themes that they repeated. It helps to break down the study.

So, if you look for the Inclusio, you will read from Mark 4:35-5:21

The story starts with Jesus and the disciples leaving in a boat, going to other side, then returning again. Next, we looked for the things that paralleled. For instance, fear is repeated so we know that it's important in this story. There is a parallel between the storm and the unclean spirit because both were bringing destruction. Both brought fear. The storm was raging, then calm/ the man was raging then calm. Disciples had fear when Jesus calmed the storm, the people had fear when the man was delivered. The disciples feared death at sea, the swine die at sea.

Now that I pointed some of these out, I will let you find some. You can post them or not, it's up to you but I do have a question. Why do you think these similarities are important to note? What do you learn from what you are seeing from this pattern of parallels?

I thought I would throw this out as a help for studying the bible. I really enjoy it although I hate the homework part. [Big Grin]

Next we asked, "why did Jesus make this trip?"

I will let you answer this one.

I am going away for the holiday and returning home for a while so I will try to check in tomorrow but if I don't, I will check in on Sunday or Monday.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Another aspect that we were looking at in class is that the soil and the seed parable means the condition of our hearts. Here, God categorize people in a new way. We categorize people by outward appearance. Jesus looks upon the heart. Jesus' appraisal goes deeper.

I said:
quote:
Vs. 23-25 if any have ears to hear let him hear, ties back in to what Jesus said before the parables. Jesus said listen.

To continue on, this shows that they connect because it ties back to what Jesus said before the parable, as I said.

Connect light with soils= he condition of our hears will be made known. We can't veil our hearts condition forever. It usually always shows up later on. If we are angry with someone or trying to be someone we are not, the truth is later revealed.

I asked:
quote:
A question for you. What is it that keeps us from revealing our hearts to others? Jesus gave us the obligation to hear, and to be transparent
Love, fear, pride, humility, it's too difficult to show, fear of man....

I mentioned that we have an obligation. That is because we have a greater responsibility upon us than unbelievers have. God expects us to have a heart of flesh, to be real, to live a Godly lifestyle.

Vs. 26-29 What does this parable mean?

You are right, this is the mystery of the Kingdom. In Daniel, he reveals Nebuchadnezzar's dream. We see the same thing in Mark only here it's talking about God's Kingdom. You notice, it never falls. The man didn't know how the seed grew. God's Kingdom generates, nurtures and matures life. The parable of the Kingdom is saying that the Kingdom is at work, even when we don't see it, God is at work.

Then I said:
quote:
Vs. 30-32 What is this parable about? Read Dan. 4:1-12 to see what Jesus was quoting. The stories are different, yet the same.
The mustard seed starts as the smallest of all seeds. It grows to be the greatest in the garden. It starts out as nothing, but grows greater. Didn't Jesus start out as nothing? A small baby, poor, no home to live in, no clothes. He started as a seed in a mother's womb. He started as a child and grew into a man. When He was born, He had to most humble of beginnings, with nothing. Yet He grew larger than all of the other garden plants or kingdoms and grew branches.

Nubuchadnezzar had grown into the largest plant in the garden, but it was temporary and later destroyed. But there was a root that remained so that kingdom wasn't lost forever.

The Kingdom of God will have dominion over all of the earth. It wasn't just any seed planted in that parable, it was the mustard seed. There is a reason for that.

So we see 3 separate truths about 3 separate aspects of the Kingdom of God.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

epouraniois
unregistered

I haven't done all the study on ALL the parables, but have 100's of notes pertaining to some if anyone would like see them. Perhaps these things can help someone? Firstly I would say all 8 parables in Mathew are connected, and there are varients within the Gospel writers:

MUSTARD SEED

"The seed sown." SOWING.
"Least of all." Its beginning -- small.
"When it is grown." GROWING.
"Greatest of herbs." Its real end -- great herb.
"Becometh a tree." BECOMING.
"Fowls . . . in branches." Its end under Gentiles - Satans spiritual ministry.

"There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon" (Psa. 72.16).

"Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image . . . . and became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth" (Dan. 2.34,35).

"I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth. The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed by it" (Dan. 4.10-12).

Daniel interprets the tree thus, "It is thou, O king," referring to Nebuchadnezzar. There is close parallel here to the statement of the Lord, "The birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof." Ezek. 31.2-18 contains somewhat similar references to Pharaoh:-
"Behold the Assyrian was a cedar in Lebanon . . . . all the fowls of heaven made their nests in his boughs . . . ."

The expression, "the fowls of the air," in the parable, would be better translated "the fowls of the heaven"; this establishes more closely the connection between the parable of the Mustard Tree and Daniel iv. and Ezek. 31. "The fowls of the heaven" are mentioned in Matt. 6.26; 8.20; 13.32; Mark 4.4, 32; Luke 8.5; 9.58; and 13.19.

In the parable of the Sower as recorded both in Matthew & Mark, we simply read "the fowls" came and devoured the seed. In Luke 8.5, however, we read, "the fowls of the heavens devoured it." This helps us to see those who devoured the seed which fell on the wayside are those who found a lodging place in the branches of the tree. following is the interpretation of the Sower, and He declares the action of the fowls is to illustrate the work of Satan; consequently whatever the aspect of the kingdom may be represented by the Mustard Tree, a place therein must be made for Satan and his agents.

Matthew.
"Another parable put He before them saying, The kingdom of the heavens is like unto a grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field, which indeed is less than all seeds, but when grown is greater than the herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the heaven come and lodge among its branches."

Mark.
"And He was saying, How shall we liken the kingdom of God, or in what parable shall we compare it? As a grain of mustard seed, which when it is sown springeth up and becometh greater than all herbs, and produceth large branches so that under the shade thereof the birds of the heaven may lodge."

Luke.
"He went on to say therefore, Whereunto is the kingdom of God like? And whereunto shall I liken it? It is like unto a grain of mustard seed which a man took and cast into his garden, and it grew and became a (great) tree and the birds of the heaven lodged among its branches."

"How shall we liken?" "Whereunto is the kingdom of God like?" - the analogy it is suggested was difficult to frame in human terms.

The kingdom purpose of God commenced with the call of one man, Abram, and his descendants. God definitely told Israel that the people cast out of Canaan were "seven nations greater and mightier than thou" (Deut. 7.1). It is further said:

"The Lord did not set His love upon you nor choose you because ye were more in number than any people, for ye were the fewest of all people" (Deut. 7.7).

"Thy fathers went down into Egypt three score and ten persons: and now the Lord thy God hath made thee as the stars, of heaven for multitude" (Deut. 10.22).

Here we have the teaching of the words, "less than all the seeds."

Consider the growth of this small company of people. Deut. 10.22 has already told us that the seventy sons became as the stars of heaven for multitude. This was not permanent. In between the promise of the unconditional covenant made by God in Gen. 7. came the covenant of law and works of Sinai -- "All that the Lord hath spoken we will do." Thus in Deut. 27 and 28 we have blessings and cursings uttered with reference to the law. The curses are terrible, speaking of the removal of all privileges, blessings, attached to the chosen people. Among the judgments note:

"And ye shall be left few in number, whereas ye were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because thou wouldest not obey the voice of the Lord thy God" (Deut. 28.62).

All these things came to pass. First the ten tribes, and then the two, were removed from their land, and the dominion given to Nebuchadnezzar.

With this man commenced the "times of the Gentiles" -- "it became a tree." These times must run their destined course before "all Israel shall be saved" (Rom. 11.25,26). This the apostle declares to be a "mystery," and indeed it is related to the "mystery of the kingdom of the heavens" as recorded in Matt. 13.

From the head of gold it degenerated by stages from silver to brass, from brass to iron, and from iron to clay.

"Satan showed Him the kingdoms of the world (hoikoumene) in a moment of time; and the devil said unto Him, All this will I give Thee and the glory of them (note 'Thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory), for unto me hath it been delivered, and to whomsoever I will I give it" (Luke 4. 5,6).

Here again then, are the words of the parable, "The birds of the heavens lodged in its branches."

The parable of the Sower settls the meaning of the birds -- Satan and his agents. Dan. 10.13 and 20 show us that Satan had an emissary at the courts of Persia and Greece, a principality or power conducting affairs for the "prince of this world." Inasmuch as idolatry is allied to demons, it seems probable that the dominion given by God to the Gentiles was given up to Satan, who is seen in full possession in the days when the Lord Jesus was on earth.

The parable speaks to the normal, or true kingdom growth, and the abnormal, or Gentile- Satanic development which comes to its fulness when Satan arrives showing himself that he is God.

This is by no means exhaustive, but is given as food for thought. This study is done on the principle of the Greek meaning of the parables, that is, Para means "near" or beside," and bole is from ballo, "I cast" or "throw." Literally it signifies something "cast beside" another, and as applied to discourse it means a method of teaching which demands the use of similitude or comparison.

HisGrace
unregistered

I believe that the parables mentioned in Mark 4: 23-30 are all talking about the importance of planting seed for glory in the Kingdom of God.

Vrs's 23-25If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear." "Consider carefully what you hear," he continued. "With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.
Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him."

~The more we study the word, the more we will understand, and then in turn, the more we will be entrusted with further power to proceed with God's work.
If we aren't diligent in our faith walk it will be taken away. The greater the insight we have, the greater the responsibility we have to utilize it and not bury it.

Vrs's 26-29 He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.

~Once again a believer should be constantly involved in good works. By planting these seeds, he will eventualy see results as the plants grow. He will be rewarded in the Kingdom of heaven according his harvest.

Vrs's 30-32-Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."

~Again these verses speak about the Kingdom of God. Because of even the smallest seed that is planted, we will see that its fruit grows beautiful and large to reap benefits in heaven.

Daniel 4:9- I said, "Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no mystery is too difficult for you. Here is my dream; interpret it for me. 10 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous.
The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth.
Its leaves were beautiful, its fruit abundant, and on it was food for all. Under it the beasts of the field found shelter, and the birds of the air lived in its branches; from it every creature was fed/

~I believe that Daniel 4 is describing how Babylon will be a mighty and tall tree,in spite of its wickedness, but that tree will be cut down during the tribulation. It roots will remain so that it will be rebuilt some day again.

Daniel 4:16 Let his nature and understanding be changed from a man's and let a beast's nature and understanding be given him, and let seven times [or years] pass over him.

HisGrace
unregistered

A very interesting study Carmela. I will look at the scriptues given and may have some thoughts to add tomorrow.
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Mk. 4:21-23

What does this parable mean? We know from Jesus' explanation that it is for the condition of our hearts.

Then, there is the parable of the light being hid under the bushel. These two parallel because one shows the condition of the heart, the other shows that the light exposes the condition of the heart. Things that we want to intentionally cover up that should be known, will be made known. It's worse when things are revealed through others then it is when we reveal them ourselves.

A question for you. What is it that keeps us from revealing our hearts to others? Jesus gave us the obligation to hear, and to be transparent.

Vs. 23-25 if any have ears to hear let him hear, ties back in to what Jesus said before the parables. Jesus said listen.

Vs. 26-29 What does this parable mean?

Vs. 30-32 What is this parable about? Read Dan. 4:1-12 to see what Jesus was quoting. The stories are different, yet the same.

I will add more later.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement